when was the Undertaker's prime?

pepentorresHHH

Getting Noticed By Management
So I've been reading some forums and they said HHH prime was from 98 to 01. The rocks prime was 98 to 03, austin's prime was 97 to 01, etc.And I was jus wondering when was the undertaker prime? Was it in the late hulkamiac days when he first arrived? Was it in the new generation era? Was it after wm 13? Was it his years as the american badass? Or his current undertaker gimmick? A case could be made for all those eras.... When he arrived in the hulkamaniac era when he was healthy and young and his gimmick was fresh and never heard of? Was it in the mid 90s when the buried alive and casket matches were all the rage? Were his attitude era days with his hell in a cell performances? Was it when he was the most human he's ever been as a biker and when the streak started to be mentioned? Was it his current dead man persona when he has become a legend and an icone and most of his greatest and most legendary matches have happened??
In my opinion his physical prime was from 94 to 98, casket matches buried alive matches and hell in a cell matches! They were great and his body was on par with his performances. As for his prime as in rinmg competitor I would choose the later part of his career, he's had phenomal matches with most of the MEers today and has headline more wrestlemanias, the streak has become the main attraction at wrestlemania, and he is viewed as an icon right now.
So what do you think?
Ps. English is not my first language so excuse any spelling mistakes

In my experience foreigners have a better grasp of English grammar than most Americans (not all, mind you). :p

Taker is hard to place. I'm gonna have to agree that his matches actually got better in the latter part of his career. He has had some incredible bouts with Edge, Batista and, of course, Shawn Michaels, among others. His early matches actually seem quite boring by comparison.

His time as the American Badass was very good, too. I liked it because it was real and not as pretentious as an undead grave digger who wrestled on the side and supposedly stole his opponents souls... He had some great matches in that time as well, among others against Kurt Angle, Brock Lesnar and Triple H (in one of the best Wrestlemania matches of all time). I was actually quite mad when he reverted back to his dead man gimmick, but eventually I accepted that it was the right thing to do for this guy.

Then there was satanic Taker. Probably my least favorite incarnation. Some far out stuff he did there, though, what with trying to murder Steve Austin as a sacrifice or something. Towards the end of that time he actually got kinda fat, if memory serves right.

But it was only early in his career when his character really had this awe effect. Granted, I was a lot younger then, but I really bought into this undead zombie guy who was a million billion feet tall and couldn't be hurt and drew power from this mysterious urn held by this creepy fat guy. I remember actually feeling sympathy for that fat ****** Kamala every time he pooped his loincloth when he saw Taker or a coffin.

All in all, I can only conclude it's impossible to pinpoint Undertaker's prime. Physically it may have been the mid nineties, but that doesn't mean it was his prime career-wise. At gunpoint I would actually pick his later work. He was very credible as this old veteran guy who could still kick the young guys' butts.

It really depends on your definition of prime. When the guy was at his best, physically? Drew the most money? When he was at the height of his popularity?

If by prime, you mean physically, I would say it happened somewhere between 1996 and 1999. During that period of time, he was a top-notch performer, examples being his Royal Rumble '96 title match against Bret Hart, almost any match involving Taker and Mankind throughout 1996 and 1997, and his many brawls with Steve Austin. Also, his matches with HBK throughout 1997 and early 1998 were absolutely amazing, and in my opinion, better than both WrestleMania matches.

However, I don't think 1996-99 can be considered his prime if you're talking about overall importance and popularity. If popularity = prime, Taker was at his best from WrestleMania 23 through present time. He means more now than he did in the late 90's, no question. As I said earlier, his matches (IMO) with HBK in 1997-98 were technically superior to the matches they had at WM25&26, but didn't mean as much. The Streak has been the story of Taker's career, and that's not up for debate.

Depends on your definition, really. I will say he's been in his prime over the past four years, in terms of importance to the business.

I really can't pinpoint Takers prime either. The guy has had a couple times where he has consistently been the main guy, unlike your Rock, SC, and Triple H who have stayed there throughout the latter parts of their careers. This is not to say that hes not as talented or as important to the company it just means that because of the success of his gimmick you could have him feud with a newer wrestler that matches with the gimmick but is not necessarily very good in the ring. The four best matches that I remember from Undertaker are Hell in a Cell vs Shawn Michaels and Mankind, and the last two Wrestlemania matches vs. Shawn Michaels. Having seen him wrestle in person in the last couple years I realize that is impossible to call this period his prime. Yes, he has been able to put on great performances once a year with a guy that can handle creating a great match by himself.

With that being said, I believe that his prime occurred between 1997-1999. You have his defining career moment in winning the title at Wrestlemania 13. This was followed by his longest period remaining in the main event with his feuds with Michaels, Kane, Mankind, and Austin. You also had two of his widely considered best matches in the Hell in a Cell matches. Finally, you have my favorite period of the Undertaker's career in the ministry of darkness era.

Taker is hard to place.

Agreed.

Personally, my favorite version of the Undertaker was when he was in his Lord of Darkness gimmick around 1997-98. If you look at Taker's early matches up to around 1996, they seemed so repetitive and fake, but then again so was all of wrestling around that "cartoon era."

In 1996 is repertoire really started to improve. And he continued to get better as the years went on. Hell, some of his best matches were in the last five years.

Those years probably were his strictly physical prime.

However, Undertaker is just that kind of person where you can't honestly say where his prime is at. Even supposedly way past his prime he had two gems with Shawn Michaels. That were easily some of the best matches in an already storied and mythical career.

With Taker you just sit back and enjoy the legend at work. :p

Physically i think The Undertakers prime was from about 96 all the way to roughly the end of the ministry of darkness ending when he began teaming with the big show.
from 96 up to mid 99 he had some fantastic feuds with Mankind & Paul Bearer, Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Kane & Paul Bearer, The Rock and Steve Austin.
in all of these feuds he was in great physical shape and in the title picture without leaving because of an injury.

In my humble opinion Taker was in his prime when he was with the Ministry of Darkness. The Summerslam highway to hell feud with Stone Cold and the match around that era.

The match when Kane and he became world champion for a night. To me it was at the top back then even if he may have had better match after that.

But then again I think it's kind of hard to judge any wrestler who lasted more than an era. The PG era (and not because of PG but because of the superstar or lack of) is SO bland and generic compared to the attitude era and the WWE was really at it's prime back then so it's hard to place the prime of a wrestler out of the prime of the federation.

Depends on your definition, really. I will say he's been in his prime over the past four years, in terms of importance to the business.

I agree with you on how important the streak is and how it has become one of the focal points of every Wrestlemania. However, its hard to say that he has been the most important to the business in the last four years. Thanks to a quick run though from the IWDB I have found that in the last 4 years the Undertaker has wrestled about 75 matches. In comparison with a guy like John Cena who had 71 matches in 2010 alone. Even if he has bad matches in bad feuds the other eleven PPVs of the year I would argue that he would still be more important than one match in one feud once a year.

This is actually a pretty hard question, I mean on one hand... Taker is the only guy that can say that be beat Hogan, Warrior, Flair, Macho Man, Rock, Triple H, Stone Cold, Bret Hart, HBK, Cena, Edge, Nash, Sid, Bigshow, Mick Foley, Jake the Snake, etc ALL in their PRIMES of their careers (aka not when they were 50+) .. hell I remember in 2003 he pinned Brock twice in two different three way matchs..

So he has been on TOP throughout all eras..

New generation early 1990's (still facing 1980's stars in there primes)
Attitude Era late 1990's-2000's
PG era (current)

Undertaker is the exception to the rule I guess.. his whole time in the WWF he has been a top guy. His prime I would just assume say 1990-2000.. but to base it based on quality of matches? That is also a tough call .. I mean the last two wrestlemanias were great with him at his old age, he brings it when he needs to.

Very hard to say in his case.. some people have one good run.. others might have two... but Taker has a good run every time he comes back.. each and every time. The man has had the best career than anyone in history.. just look at the people who he has beaten in their primes of their careers? Some pretty big names of a who's who of wrestling ICONS I mean he won his first WWF title from Hogan in HIS prime still.. man IS a legend anyway you cut it. LONG LIVE THE UNDERTAKER!!!! NEVER REST IN PEACE!!!

i'd probably go with 2004 undertaker when he returned at Wrestlemania XX
he reverted back to the deadman gimmick and his new look was great. sure, a few years later people started noticing his age but 2004 and 2005 were good years for him.
returns at mania to beat kane
nice little feud with booker t
beats the dudley's
good feud with JBL
great feud with heidenreich (it's a shame he went on to become a poetry writing guy looking for "friends")
then a great feud with orton through 2005

I'm rather different than the rest in that my least favorite time was Amer. Badass. To me it never meshed - this character who was created to be an otherwordly supernatural being supposedly transforming into a biker type. As a character "The Undertaker" was not supposed to be a normal human and showing him in a more human persona took away from the mystique of the character's origins. The bandana and the motorcycle will never beat the gong, the death march, the druids, the casket, the urn, etc.

Well, I really have no idea when his prime was.

I mean, he has been part of the main event scene for quite some while. Plus, within the last couple of years, he had those amazing matches with HBK at WM.

Then in his early careers, he had great matches. Hulk Hogan at Survivor Series, and the most underrated Pay-Per-View of all time... "This Tuesday in Texas":)

The guy, has always been around. So, to pin point the prime. Man, it's just really hard to do. He is shaping his career up to end on really good terms. He is one of the few guys, that has stayed put with one company for 20 plus years. It's just a tough question.

Some say, when he drew in the most amount of money, well, he is still doing that today. Some say, when he was in his best shape. But, that might of been when he was part of the sky scrappers, and wasn't doing his Undertaker Gimmick.

I do believe he played some NFL back in the day. I think, don't hold me to it, so he might of been in great shape for that.

Overall, if we review his career, watch his WM matches, and his top matches. It's just hard to make that assumption. Cause he is still doing it.

It's like Peyton Manning. When was his prime? Or Brett Farve? Kobe Bryant? Tom Brady? A-Rod? The Undertaker is always on top of things, always making sure the matches gone down very well. I think this is too tough of question. Sorry if it sounds bad.

For me,it's his time as the Motortaker. He was strong like a peasant,kinda chubby,and posessed a rather high pain tolerance. Overall,as a character and an athlete,he looked really thick skinned and grudgy/gritty.

undertakeramerican-badass.jpg

im gonna say his prime was when he had the American Badass gimmick that was the time when i was a big undertaker fan and i thought he did great with that gimmick! i think id still like it if he used it again :lol:

Whatever about the gimmick, but 'Taker had some of his worst matches when he was The American Badass.

Anyway I'ld say it was between 95 - 98. He had many classic encounters but the one that stands out the most is 'Taker vs HBK in the first ever Hell In A Cell match.

Señor Anderson;2986905 said:
Whatever about the gimmick, but 'Taker had some of his worst matches when he was The American Badass.
It was, however, in that period that he wrestled Triple H at Wrestlemania X7 in one of the best matches of all time.

I would be very surprised if their bout this sunday could match their epic encounter from back then.

It really depends on your definition of prime. When the guy was at his best, physically? Drew the most money? When he was at the height of his popularity?

If by prime, you mean physically, I would say it happened somewhere between 1996 and 1999. During that period of time, he was a top-notch performer, examples being his Royal Rumble '96 title match against Bret Hart, almost any match involving Taker and Mankind throughout 1996 and 1997, and his many brawls with Steve Austin. Also, his matches with HBK throughout 1997 and early 1998 were absolutely amazing, and in my opinion, better than both WrestleMania matches.

However, I don't think 1996-99 can be considered his prime if you're talking about overall importance and popularity. If popularity = prime, Taker was at his best from WrestleMania 23 through present time. He means more now than he did in the late 90's, no question. As I said earlier, his matches (IMO) with HBK in 1997-98 were technically superior to the matches they had at WM25&26, but didn't mean as much. The Streak has been the story of Taker's career, and that's not up for debate.

I agree to a certain extent. I wouldn't say from Wrestlemania 23, but from Wrestlemania XX. Ever since his return in 2004, THAT was his prime. His presence became stronger than ever. The Streak's only dud match was against Unmasked Kane and Mark Henry. He won 3 world titles in 6 years. He defeated Orton, Batista, Edge, Shawn Michaels twice, and soon HHH at WM. The commentators praised him more than ever. And the cheers he got from the crowds is beyond belief.

Taker is like wine, he's got better with age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back