• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

When Should Big E Drop the IC Title?

CultOfPersonality

Occasional Pre-Show
Big E's title reign has been a bit sluggish recently. His match against Swagger at EC was top draw, but he's not engaging in any meaningful feuds right now. He basically just turns up, defends the title, then goes away again.

Is the time coming for Big E to drop the strap and give someone else a go with it? Guys like Reigns and Cesaro are crazy over with the fans right now, and guys like Ziggler/Barrett need to start climbing back up the ladder ASAP because they still have what it takes.

At Mania, to Cesaro. This would officially end the Real Americans when Swagger turns on him directly after the match, for accomplishing what he couldn't at EC. The fans are so behind Cesaro right now, they should capitalize on that and give him his Mania moment, and also officially turn him face at the same time. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

When the original intention for Big E is met. There is nothing wrong with the format of a champion taking on challengers. Eventually he will hit that hot feud for the Intercontinental Championship. Just find that right opponent. Don't hot shot the the title. That just creates issues.

Reigns and Cesaro are great prospects for future feuds, but in a main event scene. No reason to blow your load now. Barrett could work, but stay away from the Zigglers and Misz. They're midcard transitional champions at best. With all the talent coming up from NXT, I'd rather have Rusev taking on Big E than Ziggler.

now ic title is known as secondary title that means next to wwe title. So they put former whc title winners in this title fued.

So put mark henry against big e at wm30.

Then christian, big show, sheamus, rey, jericho, rvd, ziggler, kane, del rio is good choice for ic title,

Drop it to a heel at WM30 and start his first meaningful feud for the title. Big E finally gets something good to do besides beating lower card heels, another guy can hopefully get a push from winning the IC title(not that it's done anyone any favors lately) and hopefully this gets both men over by giving both Big E and the other guy some decent promo time.

Well I think Big E really should have dropped the IC Title to Damien Sandow at TLC '13. Sandow has more than earned a title run in the WWE & I think Big E won mid-card gold a bit too early on in his career, especially considering the lineage that the IC Title specifically holds & that it is supposedly back to being the 2nd most meaningfull title, although it really doesn't seem that way to me.

It took almost an entire year before people started talking about Ambrose having a lull in his title reign or not defending the title enough. It's only been about 4 months & not only have I already heard several people talk about how Big E is just average, is a boring champion & has done virtually nothing with the title but even the WWE seems to have lost at least a little of their interest in Big E with him mostly appearing on Main Event & Superstars lately & not being booked nearly as dominant as he once was.

I'd like to see Big E drop the IC Title to either Cesaro or Sandow in a multi-man match at Wrestlemania XXX or if the WWE does decide to stick behind Big E & have him retain at WM, then I think he should drop the strap to Roman Reigns just shortly after Mania.

Drop it to a heel at WM30 and start his first meaningful feud for the title. Big E finally gets something good to do besides beating lower card heels, another guy can hopefully get a push from winning the IC title(not that it's done anyone any favors lately) and hopefully this gets both men over by giving both Big E and the other guy some decent promo time.

lMO, when Mark Henry returned after his beatdown from Lesnar, he should have been turned heel and feuded with Big E for the IC title.
He could have claimed that Big E was a friend, but he didn't even try to save him or give him any help against Lesnar. Corny somewhat, but simple and I am sure people would be interested in seeing a feud between Big E and Mark Henry as rumoured.

There is still time to make it happen,lMO. But it would have to be done in a different way.

I think Big E will keep the title as Wrestlemania. I would love for Cesaro to win the strap, but if it's Cesaro/Big E at WM, Swagger will interfere and cost Cesaro the match. This will set-up The Real Americans spilt, and Cesaro will be busy with Swagger for a couple months.

Personally, I would like to see Reigns take the IC title. The Shield split is coming, and if WWE is going to have Ambrose defend his title, I think Rollins is a better fit for the US strap.

My prediction: Reigns beats Big E at Extreme Rules for the IC title, which will be the start to Reigns moving up the card. My hope is that they set-up either Cesaro or Bray vs Reigns at Summerslam. This will give enough time for Cesaro to dispose of Swagger, and it also gives time for The Shield split/ensuing storyline. The 6 man tag at Elimination Chamber was awesome, and I'm confident Bray vs Reigns for the IC title would be high quality.

now ic title is known as secondary title that means next to wwe title. So they put former whc title winners in this title fued.

So put mark henry against big e at wm30.

Then christian, big show, sheamus, rey, jericho, rvd, ziggler, kane, del rio is good choice for ic title,

Yeah, Big E vs. Henry would be a good look for Big E. E hasn't really peaked as champion, no memorable feuds etc. I'd like to see him in a long-term feud for a title before he drops the title.

I wouldn't mind him dropping it to Bray Wyatt after he finishes with Cena, at a PPV like Payback. I don't think Bray is a permanent stay in the main event just yet, but him vs. Big E would be a great way to elevate the title

Judging by the direction WWE seems to be taking things, I would think Big E drops it to Cesaro sometime soon after WM30. Cesaro has been getting a quasi-good guy push and it seems he's destined to feud with Jack Swagger. If Jack loses to Big E at WM30.....in what would be a truly underwhelming event for the biggest PPV of the year....it would leave the field open for Cesaro to take the title from Big E, thereby leaving Swagger in the position of having been unable to do what his partner then accomplishes. I think this would be a pretty interesting scenario.

Of course, if the Big E story as IC champion is destined to end with some combination of Swagger/Cesaro, it could go just the opposite way at WM30.....that is, Big E loses the belt to Swagger at the PPV, taking the big guy out of the picture and leaving the stage set for Swagger and Cesaro to battle for the IC title.......with Cesaro furthering his push by winning it.

I sort of like the second scenario better since it involves tag team partners turning on one another which, if done well, makes for good theater.

And yes, I realize that my reply to this topic, which asks when Big E should drop the title, has revolved around the two guys who would oppose him....... which points to the irrelevancy of Big E's title reign.

I don't dislike Big E. but there are SO many more people who deserve to have a run with the IC title. Ziggler, Swagger, Cesaro, Rollins, Sandow just to name a few. I think the guy definitely has a PRESENCE in the ring because let's face it, that's the only way he has been able to get over.

To me Big E is just another jacked up guy who is decent in the ring and AWFUL on the mic. It's time for Big E to put in a little more work and for WWE to give the title to somebody who is ready to run with it.

To answer your question, he will lose it at or before Mania.

Big E should lose/drop the IC title at Wrestlemania XXX in a match which'll bring back the lost glory of the IC title. Remember when there used to be Wrestlemanias which would feature matches where European championship and IC championship would be defended? That was until 15 long years ago and in recent years Wrestlemania had become a place where there'd be 4 big matches and the rest of the card would have meaningless matches over the years (Snooki match, Team Teddy vs Team Laurinaitis, Cole vs Lawler).
Bring back that lost glory of the IC title by it being defended at WM XXX!
My ideas for possible matches would be:-
Big E vs Cesaro vs Swagger
Big E vs Dean Ambrose in a title vs title match(or unification).

The IC title is stable place to be for Big E. We think he drops it and he will get an immediate push and be a star. It doesn't necessarily work like that.

Big E should probably keep the belt for a few more months. There are still some potential feuds and I want to see more of his personality.

There is a lot of talent in NXT and maybe there is someone there who could take the belt. The WWE "season" is Wrestlemania to Wrestlemania so I suppose we can expect some new names. Bo and Neville have talent but Rusev seems like a good choice. It would give him immediate impact and a feud with Big E could be really entertaining.

Other names are guys like Fanango, Titus O'Neil and Damien Sandow. The IC title might be a dangerous belt but with good booking I'm sure they can overcome that. Even Del Rio or Christian could be good transitional champs.

Personally, I'd like to see Big E drop the belt to Rusev in maybe June/July.

He should drop it shortly after WM to Roman Reigns. If WWE is going to push Reigns into the main event picture, they need to give him a run with the IC title first to see how he handles being a singles champ. Reigns vs. Big E would be a solid feud, IMO. Reigns vs Cesaro would be the top IC title feud.

He should drop it shortly after WM to Roman Reigns. If WWE is going to push Reigns into the main event picture, they need to give him a run with the IC title first to see how he handles being a singles champ. Reigns vs. Big E would be a solid feud, IMO. Reigns vs Cesaro would be the top IC title feud.

It would be interesting to see Reigns vs. Ambrose in a title unification feud. Ambrose is one of the longest reigning US Champions of all time and say Reigns beats him, it would add credibility not only to the titles but both wrestlers

It would be interesting to see Reigns vs. Ambrose in a title unification feud. Ambrose is one of the longest reigning US Champions of all time and say Reigns beats him, it would add credibility not only to the titles but both wrestlers

Good idea.

However, I hope in such a case, Big E and Seth Rollins don't get forgotten,however as most midcarders do.

Good idea.

However, I hope in such a case, Big E and Seth Rollins don't get forgotten,however as most midcarders do.

A.K.A Curtis Axel lol, Big E might have the title for a while I mean his reign isnt the best but it isnt dreadful. Atleast he defends unlike dean

A.K.A Curtis Axel lol, Big E might have the title for a while I mean his reign isnt the best but it isnt dreadful. Atleast he defends unlike dean

See, the difference between Dean Ambrose and Big E is that Ambrose is/has been in a very Over Group in the Shield. He is also its Main Mouthpiece, and has been elevated due the higher booking that the Shield get.
Yes, he hasn't defended much, but it's not like he hasn't been on TV or in random matches.
It is just the feuds he has been booked in and kept busy are with guys who are far higher than the US title, so WWE probably decided that it is better for Dean Ambrose to be part of a match with CM Punk, than with Zack Ryder/Titus for the US title.

However, Big E HAS to defend to remain relevant since he is the IC Champion with nothing else going for him than that. Thus, if WWE wanted to elevate him fully, the IC title should have been made into a title Superstars actually wanted and were willing to fight for. The storylines for it have sucked, regardless of who holds it.

When the Mr.Mcmahon/Austin feud began, do you remember which title Stone Cold Steve Austin was after??

(ok first post ever here) I have also been surprised a bit at how little Ambrose has had to defend the US title. For some reason, not sure exactly why except good 'ol American spirit, but I have always wished the US title was played up more. Seems like they have a good opportunity to set up the titles as more of a progression starting with the US title, whose winner would get a shot at the IC title (vacating the US title if he wins the IC) and then the IC champ getting a shot at the World title belt. That scenario would have everybody scrapping for a shot at the US title so they could finally have a belt and begin the climb up. Seems like now when someone wins a lower belt it becomes more of a ceiling for them, holding them back, than anything upwardly mobile. But I know it won't happen b/c of the story lines - that kind of thing just wouldn't really fly in this sport.

Anyway, I agree that Big E is a good wrestler who is overblown on muscle and short on personality, so he does a good job of defending his title but just doesn't have the charisma to be a really good face or heel. He's just kind of bland.

However, there is a good chance IMO to use the IC belt in the storyline of the breakup between Ambrose and Reigns. Let Reigns beat Big E for the IC title, then have Ambrose act like he did when Reigns beat Mark Henry and get all snotty about Reigns having a step-up title from his. Then let Reigns challenge him to a unification match, winner gets both belts. That would end The Shield and let all 3 of these stars with bright futures get on with their careers and start moving on up.

ps - good to be here...looking forward to having a place to discuss this stuff!

Good idea.

They could form tag teams with somebody else. Tag division probably will be weaker than ever since Real Americans/The Shield/Rhodes Bros. will eventually break up and NAO will eventually go away. There's no Prime Time Players either. All that would be left is The Usos

The best outcome would be for Big E. to drop Rollins before Mania and they do the old 3 way match for both titles with The Shield. Reigns beats both guys to become unified champion and break the Shield up permanently.

2nd pick is Cesaro as he is in that "workhorse" position although the Rusev shout is good too. To get there he wins the Battle Royale inadvertantly eliminating Swagger, which sets up their feud.

3rd would be a "shock", someone like Adrian Neville comes out and stuns Big E. for the title. Sure he just won the NXT title and may even get to defend it at Mania but I can see the Santino style debut for him working and he has the kind of style that Big E. could lose to without losing much face.

Don't like Henry in that spot I'm afraid, his time for big titles has gone - I'd rather he was putting over a Rusev or back in the tags than seeing "Big Uncle Phil v Big Carlton".

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back