• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

When did you discover wrestling was fake?

I think back when Kane first came in. And the storyline between Undertaker and Kane freaked me out so much. I was only five or six at the time. But I remember having nightmares that Kane and Undertaker were coming to get me while I was at a live event. They were walking up the stairs on the bleachers as I hid under my seat. That's when my dad had a long talk and explained it to me. Then it started to make more sense to me. I couldn't believe it but I started to see it after he told me. Me finding out it was fake also had a lot to do with wrestling in my back yard with my dad and friends. They'd always get mad cause I was hurting them. They were a little older then me. But around the age of five-seven was when I figured it out.

Well, this is a blurry memory for me but I still sort of remember....

I was 5 years old and my cousins and I were all watching wrestling. I think it was a steel cage match between someone and Mick Foley.

The next day I remember hearing everyone saying 'WRESTLING IS FAKE!" So, as all my cousins were older than me, I believed them. I also was not a fan of wrestling. Fast forward 11 years later, and I know all my wrestling since 1993. :)

wrestling ISN'T FAKE, THERE ARE GUYS THAT DO HATE EACH OTHER AMONGST THEM THE SHIEK AND ANDRE THE GIANT REALLY DIDN'T GET ALONG ALOT OF THE BLOWS DO LAND, THERE ARE ALOT OG GUYS THAT HAVE REAL INJURIES LIKE MICK FOLEY, AND IF FOLEYS CAGE MATCH WITH TAKER CONVINCED YOU WRESTLING WASN'T REAL YOU'RE MISINFORMED HE ALMOST DIED THAT NIGHT!

PEOPLE DRIVING TOGETHER DOESN'T PROVE WRESTLING IS FAKE UFC FIGHTERS ARE MOSTLY FRIENDS! THEY TAKE MORE ABUSE IN WRESTLING THAN UFC TOO! SO YOU GUYS ARE WRONG!

PEOPLE DRIVING TOGETHER DOESN'T PROVE WRESTLING IS FAKE UFC FIGHTERS ARE MOSTLY FRIENDS! THEY TAKE MORE ABUSE IN WRESTLING THAN UFC TOO! SO YOU GUYS ARE WRONG!

You got to chill out. I've seen you post some similar shit to this in another thread. It may not be all fake, but for the most part it is. It doesn't matter if they hate or love each other backstage. If they disobey what they are told to do in the ring they get fired. Bottom line is that wrestling is fake to a certain extent(90% of it).

Can't remember the event but where Tommy Rich clearly bladed on camera in the 80s. He made no attempt to do it on the sly. Spoilt the blood and the reality for me at once

I was like 6 or 7. I was watching Raw with my brother per usual, but my sister was watching for some reason. I feel like Jeff Hardy was wrestling, and he went for his usual high risk maneuver. After he hit it I said "Man, it would be so cool to be a wrestler, I would do stuff just like that" and my sister ruined my childhood with "Huh? They don't choose what to do; it's fake."

Bitch didn't even have her facts right.

I found out wrestling was fake during the Attitude Era. Now, baring in mind that I would only have been 10 or so at the time, I now find it to be a bit cruel of my mother to break that news to me.

The whole conversation came about through innocence though. I recall watching a show on a national TV channel that examined how all of the traits of wrestling were performed. Over the two weeks it was shown, they covered everything from blading to having the referee pass instructions and items to the competitors. In my ignorance, I chose not to believe that this was the way things were carried out and having told my mother of the show, she told me that it was indeed a charade.

The thing was, I didn’t feel anything. Perhaps I had suspected that wrestling was fake all the time but at this point, wrestling was so huge. Not believing that it was real would have stolen some of the magic from it and if that documentary had come any earlier, I doubt I would have even been watching wrestling today. Once you move past that fact though, you start to see it for what it really is and I guess I had always seen it coming.

I DIDNT KNOW IT WAS FAKE UNTILL I READ THIS THREAD... THANKS GUYS.

loljk. i knew it was fake before i even startedwatching. i tried to watch it when i was 7 or 8 and my parents said no, its fake anyway. but when i was 13-14 i started watching for real, but already knew it was fake

YOU'RE ALL DISRESPECTFUL PEOPLE THE BUSINESS ISN'T FAKE INJURIES AND HARD WORK THAT WRESTLERS DO IS FAR FROM FAKE AS ANGLE ONCE SAID THERE IS NOTHING FAKE ABOUT WHAT WE PUT OUR BODIES THROUGH MOST WRESTLERS SUFFER SERIOUS INJURIES TO JUST SAY IT'S FAKE IS DISRESPECTFUL AND WRONG! PREDETERMINED AND FAKE ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS.

This is a great thread. I remember I was about 5. I was watching Global Championship Wrestling on ESPN. A wrestler named Chaz got his leg broken by some heel. I ended up crying and my mother told me it was all fake. It took a little more convincing but I eventually believed her. I ended up discovering WWF around 1990 (i'm old) and ended up a die-hard anyway. Funny how things work out.

very good thread.im sure a lot of wrestling fans went through this phase where they were kinda sure that wrestling was fake but did not like to admit that it was.i started watching in 1996 and till about mid 1998 i was fairly convinced it was real.then certain incidents happened like austin's crucification and that whole satanic cult that undertaker formed that really had me thinking about the realism aspect.still i didnt like to admit that it was fake mostly due to a few losers who kept teasing me that i watched a fake sport(i was 8 then).so yeah i used to retort by saying something like "oh its fake.why dont you try going one on one with austin.we'll see how fake it is then."

but the thing that had always intrigued me was finishers.how could hulk's leg drop result in a KO while big show's leg drop would barely get a two count.so i tried searching something about wrestling finishing moves on the net and i think you can guess what happens when you seach about wrestling on the internet;)

My goddamn father told me it was fake when I was about 5 or 6 because the first thing I ever wanted to be was a pro-wrestler and he wanted me to play football. Look at me now, I work in customer service.:banghead:

As I grew older, I slowly figured it out on my own.. I asked my Dad, he told me I was right.. Wasn't exactly shock because for some reason I just knew there had to be way more blood!

i learned when my brother told me about it and i was like "really?" then i watched more and more and i saw the way they try to hit each other.... i also looked it up to top it off

yes we know its not actually "fake" but its easier than constantly saying its staged (makes me feel like a nerdy mark whenever i try to explain what staged is to people)
btw you know those people who always immediately say "wrestling is fake!" whenever its brought up?...i'm sorry to say that i was one of those people
but i found out exactly what they did in the ring from watching The Wrestler (awesome movie) and by reading about interviews and such

my dad always told us it was fake because he seen dick the bruiser get his knee tore up bad in indianapolis one night then come walking out of the arena just fine but we didnt believe it until the 20/20 report that john stossel did in around 1985.

but guess what?--its still as fun to watch in 2010 as it was in 1980 with me believing it was real back then--just another form of a soap opera is all and last i checked tv shows werent real either but nobody bashes them for being "fake"

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back