• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

When did the ECW Title stop being a World Title?

Da Big Champ

Pre-Show Stalwart
I was recently wondering when the WWECW stopped being a world title and I couldn't figure out when the title stopped being a world title.
What I want to know is when you stopped considering the ECW world title.

For me it was when chavo won the title from CM Punk because Chavo is not world championship material.

I think Vince winning it killed it and I think maybe if what happened with Benoit hadn't happened and he went on to win it that would have revived it

The reason can't be because Chavo isn't world title material..Some titles just drop the 'World' from their name...and the ECW World Championship, became just ECW Championship...i don't think their is anything wrong with that...

And also if you look at the WWE Champion, that doesn't have the 'World' in its name, but we know its a world title don't we...

Another example of just adding the 'World' to a title, is WCW, they used 'World' on every title...

WCW World Heavyweight Champion..
WCW World tag team champions
WCW World TV champion (at one point),
Heck, they even called their United States champion a heavyweight champion..

Its just a name, don't think it matters...

While it should be acknowledged that despite the claims they made to say the ECW title was a World title, they weren't fooling anybody as it was essentially another mid card belt. In all honesty, I felt there were times that it was less prestigious than the IC and US belts, similar to how the European championship was less prestigious than the IC in the 90's.

But I have to completely disagree with your point. Chavo Guerrero is certainly World Championship material in any other world but the WWE and I was very happy that they gave him a chance to hold a title that had the illusion of being important. Chavo has given a lot to both the business and the company. Sure, the way his character has been built in the WWE means he'd never be a credible WWE champion but his time in the Cruiserweight division with fights against Rey Mysterio were some of the best matches I've watched and are part of the reason I miss the Cruiserweight division so much.

The title itself started with plenty of credibility. RVD was a suitable inaugral holder. Big Show managed to step up from the shadows by winning it, which in my opinion has relaunched his floundering career since. Victory over Big Show made Bobby Lashley over and there is no doubt that he would have been one of the main men in the company right now had he not jumped ship to MMA.

The title took it's first hit when Vince got his hands on it. He was clearly stroking his own ego, thrusting it down all the former ECW fans throats that this is his ECW and how better to do that that make it his ECW title. Fortunately he had the good grace not to hold onto it for very long and after Bobby Lashley was stripped of the belt due to being drafted by Raw, John Morrison, by some formation of luck, grace or fortune (at Benoit's familys expense of course), got a ECW title win out of nowhere.

That was a risky move. Morrison, then Nitro, replaced Benoit in the match. We all believed that Punk would win and it was a big shocker and one that could have caused outrage as this kid just hadn't impressed up to that point. But for some reason, everyone took to it. From that point, more so than when Lashley held it, it became a springboard for new guys to step up and grab the brass ring. Most since Morrison have flown.

Punk and Morrison had a great feud which will ensure that ECW will not be forgotten and will be remembered with a small portion of fondness and we all finally got what we wanted. CM Punk as champion. I personally thought this run was a little bland but it definately gave Punk the confidence to run in the big time. He knew he was good. We knew he was good and finally the rest of the fans were starting to see it too. And since then, he's run far!

WWE then decided to have a year of conselation champions. Chavo, Kane, Mark Henry and Matt Hardy, all guys who have been in the business for over ten years, all guys who are good but not World Title material.

Jack Swagger finally broke the run of old timers and made the most of his time in the spotlight. He was great in the ring. Had a fantastic look. Had an annoying but memorable catchphrase. Perfect champion material that has transfered well to the WHC.

Christian was then given his sympathy vote, sandwiched around Tommy Dreamer's. And finally Ezekiel Jackson retired the belt on the day he beat Christian which must launch his career when he returns from injury in my eyes.

The ECW championship was never a true world title despite the claims the WWE will make but that does not remove the fact that it has made plenty of impact. Careers of CM Punk, John Morrison and Jack Swagger have been founded on that belt and likely wouldn't have been in the same state without it. I was very happy with WWE's decision to use the ECW belt to decorate some of those future legends like Matt Hardy or Chavo Guererro who haven't and won't get the chance to properly shine in the big time. You can't begrudge Chavo for that. He's been wrestling since the early 90's. He's closing in on a 20 year career. The WWE has honoured him for that commitment. It hasn't hurt the belt, the brand, the company or the man himself. It was absolutely fine. In fact the only bad thing about the Chavo reign was the 4 second match He and Kane had at Wrestlemania. I personally felt that was a little disrespectful and the should have let him have a real Wrestlemania moment.

I was recently wondering when the WWECW stopped being a world title and I couldn't figure out when the title stopped being a world title.

If you want an exact answer, according to the wiki page it was august 2007 - so, during Morrison's reign.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECW_World_Heavyweight_Championship#Recommission

CJ The Pirate said:
Victory over Big Show made Bobby Lashley over .

Sorry but I have to take issue with this. Lashley won the title from Big Show in the elimination chamber at the awful December to Dismember PPV - the same match where Sabu was taken out backstage beforehand and both RVD and Punk were taken out of the match early and everyone, quite rightly, shit on it.

It had to be when Chavo won it. The following weekend after he won, he competed in the 2008 Royal Rumble. When does the World, WWE or ECW Champ wrestle in the Rumble match? Like the year before, the Undertaker got to choose the champ he wanted to wrestle at Wrestlemania.

The world title stopped being a world title once McMahon came off of his WM head shaving and came to ECW and won the world title with a durag on his head. One of the most ridiculous things ever and it was a big spit in the face to the original ECW. From then on, the title became a joke once Vince got his claws on it. and I think that was purposely symbolic that the belt was being downgraded when a 60 something year old chairman won it. Meaning after Vince got it, the belt wasn't meant to be taken serious and ala u got midcarders like Kane, Chavo, Mark Henry, and Morrison all getting title reigns thereafter.

I think it was the whole Benoit thing. Had you given Benoit the title, and gave him a pretty long run and rivalry with Morrison, it would have put JoMo over, and can you imagine Benoit and Morrison or Benoit and CM Punk against each other?

Another time i could think would be when the title changed from the original to the silver thing with the weird falcon thing... Even though Chavo had already won and lost the title. When Mark Henry won the title, all of WWE just kept saying was that Mark Henry won a title for the first time in his career. Chavo's win was just to fuel a rivalry, and the fact that he was in the Royal rumble was a sign of that.

Another sign was when the Women's title would be on the line at a PPV, but not the ECW...

Sorry but I have to take issue with this. Lashley won the title from Big Show in the elimination chamber at the awful December to Dismember PPV - the same match where Sabu was taken out backstage beforehand and both RVD and Punk were taken out of the match early and everyone, quite rightly, shit on it.

I wasn't strictly speaking about the Dismember Chamber match itself, which, as your rightly mentioned, was horrifically bad. I meant the Lashley reign itself got him over.

A few people have said it was when Chavo won it, I don't think it was when Chavo won it, It was when Vince won it. He basically burnt down the legacy of the ECW Title and pissed on the ashes. Had Lashley had kept it until he got drafted to RAW , the title MAY have still kept some of it's prestige. If Benoit had of won it, he could've had some amazing fueds with JoMo and Punk, but because Benoit went on a rampage, we will never know. As far as Mark Henry, and Matt Hardy winning it, I didn't really mind, but apparently Evan Bourne was supposed to win the title at some stage, who knows where he'd be right now if he won it.

But to conclude, I think it stopped becoming a "World Championship" when Vince won it, he basically laid the belt down, poured some fuel over it, lit it on fire, waited for it to burn into ash, then pissed on the ashes. (P.S; To anyone who I might offend by saying Benoit went on a "rampage", I apologise, it's just the nicest way I could put it)

Some of you say when Vince won it and some of you say when Chavo won it but i disagree on both and have to say it's when CM Punk won it. Don't get me wrong I am a huge fan of Punk but he just wasn't ready for a title at this point and it seems they strapped it on to him. After Punk won the title nothing good came out of it from then on up until Christian but then his title reign became boring and dull as well.

well this is easy you could no longer call it a world tittle after chavo won it from punk then apeared in the rumble the same nite

I cant believe how many people are bad mouthing the ECW Championship and saying its not reputable because Vince McMahon held it. If thats the case The Rock, Stone Cold, HHH, Undertaker, HBK and all the greats didnt hold a reputable world title cause Vince McMahon held the WWF World Title back in the day.

If you want to say it wasnt a world title cause the caliber of the holders were up to par i agree, but just cause Vince held it is the stupidest thing I've ever heard

Chavo not World Heavyweight Champion material? I hope that was a joke because Chavo is possibly the most talented person in the WWE right now. He's up there with Chris Jericho. When Chavo became ECW champion that's when business started picking up.

When WWE created WWECW. Rhyno is the last true ECW Champion. Yes, RVD's MITB cash in at One Night Stand 2 was amazing in it's own right...but it was for the WWE Title. The ECW belt was given to him, and his run was less than spectacular.
The reason I had to go with it's WWE inception is that they NEVER held it on Par with the other 2 World Titles. It's inclusion in that Champions of Champions match doesn't count. They still never held it in the same regard.

Chavo not World Heavyweight Champion material? I hope that was a joke because Chavo is possibly the most talented person in the WWE right now. He's up there with Chris Jericho. When Chavo became ECW champion that's when business started picking up.

I'm so glad someone else see's what Chavo has. I am hoping he becomes a trainer because he could teach the future of the sport to be absolutely class.

When I said this I ment WWE didn't make him look like World chamion material. He couldn't win the U.S title and Edge helped him win the ECW title

If someone wants to jump in and correct in here feel free, i may be wrong. I'm fairly certain that the ECW title isn't regarded a world title because it isn't one. There are/were only three recognised world titles, those being WWE, WCW (now WWE's World Title) and the New Japan World Title. Again i'm not to sure how far correct this infomation is but i though i'd pass it along

well this is easy you could no longer call it a world tittle after chavo won it from punk then apeared in the rumble the same nite

Firstly, i agree with the rumble part because it just was not logically booked. If Chavo had come out and said he wanted to win the Rumble and unify the belts, then i wouldn't have had a problem. It implied that Chavo saw his belt as being as equal as the WHC and WWE titles. But by randomly entering the Rumble, it came across to me at home that the ECW title was not a world title and that to get a 'Wrestlemania moment', you had to fight over the WWE or WHC titles.

What I want to know is when you stopped considering the ECW world title.

For me it was when chavo won the title from CM Punk because Chavo is not world championship material.

I'm sorry but i don't agree with this because by your logic, Jack Swagger has killed the WHC title and back in '99, Vince killed the WWE title. One person having a 'questionable' reign does not ruin a title's importance; its called taking a risk. Chavo is a solid wrestler and i agree with other posters when i say i hope he is retained as a trainer after retirement to help the new talent. Back onto the Swagger topic, Swagger was nowhere near the ME prior to WM 26. In fact, he was barely near the RAW scene as i can not remember anything he did on RAW post-MVP around Summerslam.

I have two words.. Bobby Lashley. There were a lot of things that took away from the little of what WWECW prestige there were, but I consider the Lashley/McMahon feud to be the prime reason. Lashley would go on to defend and carry the title on virtually every show and nobody cared about him. With that said I do believe the original WWECW belt design did carry the words "World Championship"

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__zKkL6h8E.../P-36GY_c3A0/s320/big-show-wwe-paul-wight.jpg (Big Show with the belt)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NewECWchampbelt.jpg

However when the belt was redesigned they dropped the WHC part altogether. Remember ECW was ment to be the next Smackdown. Also if anyone remembers but when Undertaker won RR McMahon had all three "world champions" come out including Lashley at the time for Undertaker to give his decision on who he would face. At the first Night of Champions Lashley was also present in the "Champion of Champions" match.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vengeance_2007.jpg

The belt redesign came some time after Bobby Lashley departed from the company to help support my case.

I gotta agree that the second Vince won the belt was when everything went to hell. It had a good start with RVD starting as the first because he was deemed as the "Uncrowned ECW Champion." I think we can all agree that if ECW, the real ECW, didn't go under then RVD would have been the world champ. Then Big Show won it and I think the reason it pissed off so many was because of the Heyman angle pissing off so many. Then you had Bobby Lashley win it which was again so-so. Lashley was a guy that needed a push and that was the best they could do. Then Vince wins it and even looking back the thought of Vince McMahon as "ECW Champion" makes me want to puke. Then Lashley won it back, then was stripped of it and we had CM Punk and what was at the time Chris Benoit to fight over the belt. I also agree that Benoit winning the belt if the whole tragedy never happened, would have sparked life in the belt again because of the fact that at that time we all knew how great a wrestler Benoit was. But instead we got Johnny Nitro/John Morrison. That didn't help much and then when they finally let Punk win the belt, they waited too damn long. Even though we had a lot of familiar names get the belt, I think too much damage was done and the last time I felt the belt mattered in any shape or form was when Tommy Dreamer won it. Even then I still think that too much damage was done. I'm agreeing with what almost everybody is saying in this thread and I think that it was lost in the mix of the already too many championships WWE had and it was like it was simply just there and held no real value.

I cant believe how many people are bad mouthing the ECW Championship and saying its not reputable because Vince McMahon held it. If thats the case The Rock, Stone Cold, HHH, Undertaker, HBK and all the greats didnt hold a reputable world title cause Vince McMahon held the WWF World Title back in the day.

If you want to say it wasnt a world title cause the caliber of the holders were up to par i agree, but just cause Vince held it is the stupidest thing I've ever heard

You bring up an excellent point, but if I recall with the WWE title, Vince did forfeit the belt a night or two later. Vince that ECW title for a month or two which somebody like him, that is way too long .

To me, when Nitro won it was when they really stopped treating it like a world title. Up until that point, it had been considered up there with the other two titles, with Big Show in the Champion of Champions match at Cyber Sunday, and with the Lashley/Vince feud being a focal point of both Raw and ECW. But after Nitro won the belt, it was no longer a key selling point of PPV's and was just generally treated like more of a midcard title.

It began to be referred to as the ECW Championship instead of "the ECW World Championship" in 2007. They took "World" out of its name, so there's the answer to your question. Now as to when exactly that happened.... I want to say it was around the time that Vince won it from Lashley, or when Nitro won it and became Morrison after Benoit died. You can see a drastic change in the title holders around this timeframe, they stop being guys who could have been main eventing Raw or Smackdown at the time and instead guys who would be stuck in the midcard on the main brands.

Here is a list of each WWE's ECW Champions and what they probably would have been on Raw/Smackdown at the time of their ECW title reign.

RVD - Main eventer
Big Show - Main eventer but not world title material
Bobby Lashley - Main eventer or upper midcarder
Vince McMahon - No Comment.
John Morrison - Midcarder
CM Punk - Midcarder (at the time)
Chavo - Jobber
Kane - Upper Midcarder
Mark Henry - The World's Strongest Jobber
Matt Hardy - Midcarder for life
Jack Swagger - Midcarder (at the time)
Tommy Dreamer - Jobber
Christian - Upper midcarder
Ezekiel Jackson - Midcarder

So the change definitely happened somewhere around or before John Morrison, who won the title in summer of 2007. It was in 2007 when the name was officially recognized as ECW Championship rather than ECW World Championship. There's the question's answer.

Adding on top of Dagger Dias' points, having the word "World" inserted into the championship never really made sense. The WWE already had one main singles championship that was officially recognised as a "World Title," so what was the point of adding another one that's restricted to such a small roster that ECW had? The World Title had less restrictions as it had the potential to travel between the shows of ECW and SD (with that talent-exchange agreement) and there were times that the WWE and World titles traded between the brands. Essentially, everyone had access to the title whereas the ECW was only to be used by ECW stars... sometimes an SD star, but upon them winning they'd be transferred to the brand.

Also add the fact that having a World Title featured on WWE's third-rate brand is just plain silly. Why is it a world-caliber title when people who wrestled for it and won the championship weren't considered world-caliber stars? Sure, people who win the World Championship on SD could not be world-caliber, but at least the follow-up made them into one. What happened to all of the guys who one it? Where are they on the cards? Certainly not world-caliber. If they do become it, it wasn't because of holding the championship either.

Once the brand lost steam and became a place for new guys to get used to the ropes and guys currently on the roster to gather themselves again before heading off to higher ground, there wasn't a reason for it to be recognised as a World Title. Simple really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back