• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What's your genre?

My$terio_Fan

I can do whatever I want
I think a thread was made on this topic before but it is month's old so I decided to start a new one! So what is the genre of music you like the most or connect with and why?

I am one of thoes people who pretty much like anything and everything. I like rap and hip/hop artists like TI, Kanye West, and Lupe Fiasco. Rock/Metal artists like Metallica, Queen, Arcade Fire ect. Pop artists like Natasha Bedingfield, John Mayer, & Joss Stone. R&B artists like Beyonce & John Legend as well as country music liking people like Kellie Pickler, Brad Paisley, and Sugarland. I feel like I am fairly diverse in the type of music and really can only not listen to classical & opera. So what is everyone's musical genre? Or do you like multiple types?

I can honestly say I like almost all kinds of music. But I like the Irish-Rock style music the most probably. But lately, I have been listening to oldies for some reasons. Like the good oldies like the song Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison and My Girl and Sugar Pie Honey Bunch by the Temptations....those songs remind me of this girl I currently am courting....maybe thats why. But I am a mixed bag of chips. I like Dropkick Murphys, Trapt, Third Eye Blind, Bravery, The Strokes, Social Distortion, The Killers. The rap I prefer is old school as in Gangsters Paradise and No Diggity,.....two great Rap songs that shoudl be among the greatest rap songs of all time.

My Genre is none. Im a fan off all music. if its catchy and has a good beat to it i will listen to it. if i dont like it i turn it off simple as. i dont say well this aint Rock so it can get fucked like so many people do.
but I like
Megadeath, Nickelback (sorta), AFI, Gym class heroes, hilltop hoods and red hot chillie peppers as the bands i will always listen too without hesitation and actually like guarenteed.

My genre would most definitely be Country Music. Not this new age bullshit either. With the exception of a few. Toby Keith being one of them. The older stuff was written for me, or about me. One of the two. I have such a connection with the genre. That's not to say I dont appreciate Rock, Rap or any other type of music. Country is just my genre of choice.

My favourite type of music is R'n'B although i do listen and watch all types of music. The reason i like R'n'B is because it portrays what life is really like in certain areas. I live in a particularly "run down" area and its a way of telling people what life is realy like in these so-called wasteless areas. I also listen to Rock, mainly because i enjoy it and because its kind of soothing in a way.

The genre i dislike is Rap, because sometimes it can portray gun and knife crime to be good. Where i live those types of crimes are happening daily and to be honest i think this is the main cause of it. Young kids look upto these rap stars and listen to them....hence the violence.

My taste generally comes down to either Classic Rock, or Hard Rock from the 90's-00's. In saying that I can respect other people's preferred genres of music, I still think some are overplayed and really quite mindless (the definition of pop music).

With classic rock, I just find it's very easy to listen to, and I believe that in the 60's and 70's was when 'rock' musicians actually wrote decent enough music to get something useful out of their instruments (unlike the 'Indie' musicians of today). I like listening to Blue Oyster Cult, the Doobie Brothers, Jefferson Airplane, Kansas, Steppenwolf and ZZ Top. Occasionally I'll listen to Led Zeppelin or AC/DC, but I find their music to be either repetitive or boring sometimes.

As for the hard rock of today, I get a lot of the bands I listen to off of wrestling. As I'm sure lots of people do. But, if a band has a completely shit singer, I will not listen to them, no matter how good the rest of the band might be. I just cannot get into music if the singing is shite. Favourite band from this genre? Alter Bridge. Their range is amazing (barring the few similar songs), and the fact that Myles Kennedy has one of the best vocal abilities going around today makes them so much better.

Some of my lesser, but still shameful, tastes, include Disco and 80's Rock. Nothing like a bit of Huey Lewis and the News, Duran Duran and Journey, mixed in with KC and the Sunshine Band!

I'm a big fan of Indie/Pop music. I'll listen to a few other things every now and again, but this is the majority of my CD collection. I say that like I have a lot. Instead of genres, I have specific artists I will listen to constantly. Snow Patrol and Enrique Iglesias take the biggest honour there. Not a day goes by without me listening to at least one song by one of them.

I really really hate heavy metal. I don't hate Rock music. But I hate music where the people are literally screaming. You can try arguing that they're not, and if they're not, then they're just awful singers. No talent, whatsoever.

The same goes for rap music. I don't see the appeal of it. So what you can say 500million words in a minute, I don't care. If I can't understand what you're saying, it's not music.

I really really hate heavy metal. I don't hate Rock music. But I hate music where the people are literally screaming. You can try arguing that they're not, and if they're not, then they're just awful singers. No talent, whatsoever.

I perfectly understand where you're coming from; me personally, I don't enjoy music where the singers don't actually "sing" either. That's why I usually don't listen to a lot of extreme Metal stuff or Rap.

However, I usually feel the need to intervene when people claim they hate "Heavy Metal", and in the same sentence refer to those "scream-and-growl" bands only, and nothing else.

For in truth, classic Heavy Metal is one of the most melodic genres there are, and those bands who only keep to shouting, screaming and growling really make up only sub-genres of Metal.

Of course you do have your Death, Black and Doom Metal bands, and your Hard-, Grind- and Metalcore bands - and many of those are really popular within the metal scene, make no mistake - however there are also other Metal genres like the "classic" Heavy Metal, or True Metal, Melodic Metal, Power Metal or even Progressive Metal where the singers don't scream around all the time, but can actually sing (and sing really really well at that), and where the music also isn't composed just to "hit you in your face" with brutality and pure and utter "noise", but which has a lot of melodic influences, and also influences from classical music at times. So please, please... before you condemn "Heavy Metal" as an entire genre, you should at least give some of those bands a chance that are NOT extreme Metal bands, but which really have great singers and great musicians in their ranks.

So if you listen to some "true" Heavy Metal bands from the 80ies, like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Saxon and the like, or to "younger" bands who followed in their footsteps and created other more melodic genres of metal, like Blind Guardian, Helloween, Hammerfall, Edguy, Manowar, Rhapsody of Fire, or Kamelot, just to name a few, you will find out that there even are "metal" bands who don't simply live off stupid aggressiveness, but who are really capable of writing decent music and also of playing that music. And if you want some great singers in metal, check out Symphony X's latest album "Paradise Lost" - their singer, Russell Allen, is definitely one of the best singers out there, and the album's title track is the best proof of that. And I could give you a myriad of other examples if you want :)

Now that being said, I guess everyone can tell meanwhile that I'm a "metal" guy. I mean, I listen to pretty much every genre (with maybe the exception of Rap, which I really can't relate to and don't enjoy), from classical to pop to jazz to oldies to rock to progressive to blues and what not. But at the end of the day, I'm definitely most into (European-style) Metal, and listen to those bands I mentioned above. Of course I'm also in my own little melodic Power Metal band; you (or well, at least I) just can't ever have enough of that stuff, heh.

My favorite type of music is rap & RnB. The reason why I like that type of music is cuz it relaxes me whenever im in a bad mood or when im stressed out.

I like almost any music. I'll listen to Blink 182, Coldplay, Bullet For My Valentine, Dream Theater, Snow Patrol, Eminem, Rage Against The Machine, Guns 'N Roses, Sum 41, Funeral For A Friend and maybe even some classical to name a few. And that's all in the same playlist. I can't categorise my genre, since there really isn't any genre that I lean towards. But I can't stand country music. I just don't really like the style of the genre, its just not my thing. But i'll listen to any music that people show me, unless its country.

I'm not a fan of any particular genre, but mainly I like rock. I can listen to songs by Disturbed, Evanescence, Foo Fighters, Guns 'n' Roses and Chili Peppers all day long.

But if I get the chance I will listen to Michael Jackson or Fat Boy Slim

Like most people, I don't have one specific genre of music.

I like a wide variety of rock music, from some older classic stuff like Bon Jovi, I also like the bands Enter Shikari who incorporate trance and rock into the one band. Reggie and the Full Effect is also a band I like, I might be joining a band soon and I really like what James Dewees does with the keyboards and synthesisers, which is what I might be doing. Also I like some more darker stuff like Marilyn Manson. Also, I like Parkway Drive. They are an Aussie band from Byron Bay in NSW.

But not one genre, many genres. Just not rap.

My genre is easily rock and roll. There is nothing at all better to me than hearing the sounds of a great guitar and drums going wild all over the place during a song. I occasionally listen to other genres, but they're few and far between. All of my favorite bands fall into the same general catagory which is typically alternative rock or southern rock. Bands like 3 Doors Down, Nickelback, Drowning Pool, Breaking Benjamin etc. all are just great to me. These kinds of songs have been played for years and still work to this day.

I am a fan of multiple genres, but I identify more as a fan of certain artists.

When I listen to rap I listen to Z-ro, Trae, Lil Keke, Chamillionaire (all of these guys are from Houston and are of were members of the Screwed up Clique or the Swishahouse), or Nas and Jay-Z.

I am more of a classic rock fan than anything contemporary, with a few exceptions. Tool, Skynard, Zep, Pink Floyd.....etc.

I like the particulary Texas forms of country, the folksy story telling kind. This includes Randy Rogers, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Dierks Bentley, etc. I also enjoy looking at Carrie Underwood, Kellie Pickler, and Julianne Hough.

It kinda seems like I like unfamous artists. It's not like I stop liking them once I see them on TV, however, I can't stand MTV stars or most radio music. When I listen to the radio as opposed to recorded music, I tend to listen to news or sports talk.

I am a fan of many genres, but Rock-n-Roll is the most notable among them. I think I spend more time listening to that particular genre than any other. I have dabbled in almost all of the various incarnations of rock, and am finding myself more and more attracted to its predecessor: the blues, and its cousin, bebop. I have a soft spot for operatic and symphonic metal, and everything in between...

I listen to just about anything and everything. I like mostly Hip Hop (Kool Keith, Deltron 3030, Lyrics Born, Breez Evahflowin, J-Live, Kool G Rap, etc), Trip Hop (Hooverphonic, Goldfrapp, Massive Attack, Dj Shadow, Kid Koala, etc), Death Metal (Cannibal Corpse, Death, Obituary, Nile, etc), Jazz (Frank Zappa, John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Thelonious Monk, Warren Hill, etc) and Rock (Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Nine Inch Nails, Rage Against the Machine, etc).

i also am a fan of most music and generally have artists more than genres that i like, but i go through phases. like at the moment i'm in an alternative rock phase, with ur power pop, pop punk etc. bands like Gym Class Heroes, FOB, FTSK, Eyes set to Kill, Weezer, are all big on my list atm

I'm a fan of country music. Mostly texas country, stuff I'd bet not many people here have ever heard. Stuff like Eli Young Band, Jason Boland, Randy Rogers, Reckless Kelly or Deryl Dodd. But I also like the popular Nashville country too, George Strait, Kenny Chesney, or Brad Paisley.

I wish I had a more well rounded taste in music, but there are only a handful of artists outside of the rock genre that I like. I do like Madonna, Prince, 2Pac, Britney, older Fiona Apple and Pink- but they are the exception to the rule.

I love '80's hair bands, probably my favorite sub genre of rock. Bands like Poison, Motley Crue, Skid Row, Def Leppard, Ratt, Warrant, etc. just wrote the greatest hooks. The songs were all about having fun. It just makes you happy. I also love metal. I don't get into breaking it down into 500 sub genres. I just like straight on metal. Metallica and Pantera are my 2 all time favorite bands, but I would also name Stone Sour, Slipknot, Down, and Lacuna Coil as bands I listen to obsessively.

I'm a Metalhead all the way, with the occasional rock ballad jumping in in sad moments of life, haha.

I'm a big fan of In Flames. Got all their albums and DVDs, posters etc etc. And I also like Killswitch Engage, Bullet For My Valentine, Sonic Syndicate, As I Lay Dying, Avenged Sevenfold, Metallica, The Berzerker, and a lot of more.

Buuuut when the mood is for something a little softer, I usually go for something like Breaking Benjamin, Hinder, hell even Blink 182 sometimes.

And I freaking HATE rap music. I respect the artists for their talent in song writing (except people like 50 Cent, god..), but the music itself is just horrible in my opinion. It's basically the same beat pounding through 4 minutes of "music". Just.. not for me.

Im really not a big music guy, what I mean is I like most music but I dont listen to it a ton. I really only listen to music when Im at a bar or when Im driving. My favorite is classic rock particularly 80s rock. I like all the hair band music. I also like listening to some 90s alternative like Nirvana, Pearl Jam and bands like that. I like 90s rap as well particularly Tupac and Biggie. I dont listen to todays rap though I just never got into it in fact I dont listen to alot of today's music period.

@HBK-aholic (and whoever else might be interested): To pick up the threads of our pro-or-contra Metal-discussion lol... well (insert shameless self-advertising), we have just received the mastered versions of our first two promo songs, and I've already uploaded them on our MySpace-site... so if you want to give "Metal" a try that is NOT growling and screaming all the time, feel free to pay us a visit at

www.myspace.com/thedragonslayerproject

The songs will also be available as free downloads soon on our regular website www.dragonslayer.at in better sound quality, so you should be able to check them there as well. And as said, we're playing a style similar to that of bands like Helloween, Hammerfall or Kamelot - basically traditional European Metal, heh.

Well I go by what I typically have on my iPod. I have a massive music library, and as some of you know through having me on MSN, when my music player is going, it can be playing a selection of music from anything to everything.

My favorite music however is a genre of music most people do not like. That is fine with me, because it makes it more my music. I like Hardcore punk music as it has mostly been labled, such as Mathcore bands. My favorite band from the 2000s is a band who is starting to make it big worldwide now is Protest The Hero. I had become a big fan through a couple of my friends, one who had hung out with the band a lot. Them being one of those good ol' Canadian bands have played at every small place that would book them across this country. The band is incredibly skilled on their respected instruments, and they put on one of the most intense life shows that I have ever seen. The thing that makes them stand out is their song writing ability, it is beyond skilled. I would advise anyone who appreciates finely crafted music to check out their album Kezia. You will be blown away.

I like a lot of modern country music (^much to the guy above me's dismay:)). Tim McGraw, Kenny Chesney, Taylor Swift, Martina McBride, Brad Paisley, Carrie Underwood, Dierks Bentley.
I also enjoy the music that was popular when I was in high school such as early Rihanna stuff (I don't like her new songs), Blink 182, and all that light punk.
I didn't see too many country fans in this thread, so it seems I'm an odd one out, at least in this group.

ETA: I want to emphasize modern country. Anything more than 8 or so years old can get very twangy and often follows the "my horse died, and my wife left me" sort of pattern.

I can listen to anything and everything, and enjoy most of it...

My favorites though, are rock and metal. My two favorite bands are Godsmack and In This Moment, but I've been known to listen to Britney and Katy and Christina...It mostly depends on my mood, and what I've been listening to a lot of. I try to mix it up, so nothing goes stale on me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back