What's in a name?

Tastycles

Turn Bayley heel
Wrestler names tend to go through cycles of styles. In the 80s you had the ridiculous in Brutus Beefcake, the 90s tended to be more real names, with a qualifier - Marvellous Mark Mero, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Bad Ass Billy Gunn etc. The early 2000s was more about real names - Brock Lesnar, Kurt Angle, John Cena and then we went into surnames only - Heidenreich, Lashley, Batista. Nowadays, we seem to be heading towards fake names that sound real - Daniel Bryan, Darren Young, Evan Bourne etc.

It's no suprise that wrestling names go through cycles in the same way the product does, but is a wrestler's name in any way relevant to their success? Could someone called Brutus Beefcake make it today, or would their name be a hindrance? Would The Rock have been as successful as Rocky Maivia. I don't mean a gimmick change here, I mean solely a name change.

I don't want this to degenerate into a list of who does and who doesn't have good names, so don't do it.

What's in a name? Well for me, alot. A name and look are the first things that I notice when watching wrestling and if a wrestler either has a bad name or a shit look then it bothers me. Obviously you can get over it to an extent, but if Stone Cold's name was Charlie Toiletpaper then I can guarentee he wouldn't have been what he was. You look at Dolph Ziggler today and one of his man detractors is his name. So basically, yes a wrestler's name is important to their success.

i agree with blue cardinal its how your name can be advertised/used one example but i dont think this guy ever wrestled (in wwe in a storyline)but you wouldnt have big dick johnson as your wwe or world champion even if he was somewhat talented. brutus beefcake?? maybe in a santino role, Rocky mavia his mic and ring skills would have helped anyway

I do think a good name is very important in the wrestling business, it has to be serious to an extent. If you look at the name Brutus Beefcake that name won't get you anywhere except being a comedy jobber today, but if he changed it to Peter Robertson (not his real name) he would be taken serious depending on his look though.

I think a name means a lot, but more to the casual fans. I was making the argument Big Show should change his name back to The Giant recently. I think it makes perfect sense.

A casual fan tunes in to see there is a match between CM Punk and The Big Show. They think "Hmm, The Big Show and CM Punk? What kind of names are those." They disregard it and turn the channel. Swap Shows name and this is how it plays out "Hmm, Cm Punk vs The Giant? Wow this man must be huge to have a name like the giant, hes going to destroy that other guy, Ill watch this". Now it seems rather silly or unbelievable, but who wants to get in the ring with The Giant, an name that screams intimidation and power.

Look at another example. If Hulk Hogan's name was "John Smith" do you think a casual fan will tune in to see John Smith vs Mario Mancini? I doubt it.

A name can mean drawing power for a man, uniqueness, and can be the different between a serious competitor and a jobber. Because no one wants to see Balls Mahoney in the main event.

I for one disagree. I think you can do anything with the name you are given. Its all in the attitude you sell it with. Look at John Cena or Kurt Angle. They probably had been told before they wouldn't make it unless they changed their names. You can do anything given the right charisma and personality. Even with a name like Joe Shmow, you could probably be a big star and work your ass of and have charisma out the rear and end up a star, its all in how your work and have determination. I'm sure for every person who changes their name, or uses a stage name, there are just as many who would use their real name for the profession. You can change your name as many times as you want, but its all about the person behind it. You can have as flashy a name as you want, but if YOU aren't the appealing person behind it, then you wouldn't stand a chance no matter if your name is John Doe, or Mikey Starr, or Mick Foley, or Sting, or whatever. Names come and go. Look at John Morrison. He started off as Johhny Nitro, then changed to John Morrison, still has great star power no matter what. But its the person and work ethic behind the name,

a name can make or break a career, thas not to say it's the only factor, but it's def a big one, it has to do with your personality/gimmick too, Kane's whole set-up was that he was a monster and was going to kill his brother.... other names could have worked just fine... Kane, however, fit perfectly (assuming people know who "kane" is). Jake Roberts? fine name, Jake "The Snake" Roberts who happens to bring a snake with him to the ring? Much Better, etc etc... It isn't a make or break deal for some wrestlers but it can be for a lot, because it means alot, that being said it doesn't have to be perfect to be on the winning side, jus somewhere in the neighborhood, don't name a monster character like Kane or Abyss.... uhh Scooter, for instance, and ya should be fine (sorry to all the Scooters of the world who want to be monsters =) )

On a general basis, names don't really do anything other than the impact of how it's said or sounded out. Take a look at some of the biggest superstars in wrestling's history... The Rock, Stone Cold and Hulk Hogan. These are all pretty bad-ass names that fit the description of someone being an icon or even as a name that personifies a professional wrestler. This is where most of the definition behind the name ends, as what matters most these days are how people play their characters, how well they wrestle to entertain crowds, etc. I mean, John Cena and Randy Orton are two of the blandest names you'll ever find, yet the reactions they get each week can be deafening.

Honestly, I feel that professional wrestlers should use names that pretty much some themselves up (i.e. their gimmick) like Evan Bourne. He has twisted his name around to fit the description of his fighting style, as well as incorporating it into his finishing move's name. When you think of a name like that, you don't need nicknames or other introductions to describe who you are. Hell, you didn't need to know that Dr. Stevie was playing the role of a psychiatrist, or that The Undertaker was playing the role of a mystical being who took souls. It's in the name that describes everything, though I've yet to see Wade emulate himself as a 50 caliber Barrett sniper rifle.

In the end, it's how the person plays their character. The name is just a name... which is why I can't understand people like Daniel Bryan aren't using their real names over their proposed kayfabe ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back