What Was The Most Awkward Moment You Had As A Wrestling Fan?

Mudlup50

Championship Contender
I remember I was 11 and I used to watch Smackdown religiously just like I did Raw because they were two different shows. My mom worked 2-10 and we lived an hour away from where she worked. One day she called on her last break and I was watching Smackdown and it was the night Vito came out to the ring in a dress, and I don't know if 11 year old me knew it was ridiculous or if I thought it was funny but I laughed awkwardly while on the phone. My mom asked what I'm laughing at and I had to explain to her that a 40 year old bald italian guy was in a dress coming out to save his partner xD

That was probably the moment I felt most ashamed to be a wrestling fan, I'm curious what everyone else says

I was at a museum and this dude probably a few years younger than me was standing near me and he was wearing the Miz's chick magnet shirt.

I asked him if he was a fan of the Miz and he gave me this totally confused look. I had to explain that the shirt he was wearing was a wrestling shirt and he said "Oh" and then there was this weird awkward silence between us.

It's hard enough to speak to strangers in public but that didn't help at all.

Now admitting I'm a wrestling fan if I don't know if a friend is a wrestling fan is pretty awkward to me.

The day after Eddie Guerrero's death, at school, during break, I went online on WWE.com and on the homepage it was reported that Eddie had passed away, and I looked across the classroom at my friend, who also watched wrestling but wasn't a fan of it, and screamed "EDDIE's DEAD" at him in shock, and everybody else in the classroom just stared at me like I was nuts as they had no clue what I was talking about, lol. Apart from my friend, who watched very little wrestling, I was the only one in my class who watched wrestling and was a fan.

In 2011 I was seeing a girl for maybe about 2 weeks, I had stayed the night at her place and because she was still asleep in the morning I got myself up and put on the TV and Smackdown was on which was awesome for me. She got up and saw what i was watching and was throwing out comments like "omg i cant believe you watch wrestling" and "isn't wrestling for kids" about a week later she broke up with me and one of her friends later told me it was because "she was embarrassed to date someone who still watched wrestling."

side note - she is now fat with a kid so guess i dodged a bullet there

I remember that towards my later days in high school/college (age 15-18ish) I didn't really reveal to anyone that I still watched wrestling- unless someone else mentioned it first. There were a few people in my college that I knew watched it, and it was like we had secret conversations about the business when no-one else was around! Now, at age 27 I really don't give a shit who knows I am still a fan. Fuck them, I'll watch what I like!

I would regularly have groups of friends over to my parents house on Friday or Saturday nights, for pre-drinking before going on a nights out. It was so embarrassing at the time to come back into my bedroom one evening, to find a few people- including girls, looking through a pile of my wrestling dvds that they had pulled off the shelf. I got so many looks of "what the hell?!" and got alot of teasing through the rest of the night, but it didn't last long, it was just banter between friends at the end of the day.

Even now, some friends make jokes about me being a wrestling fan but it doesn't bother me at all. Alot of them watch reality TV, TV shows I have no interest in and have interests that I think are extremely boring. At the end of the day, you shouldn't be embarrased or awkward about anything you like.

Trying to explain to my Boy Scout troop why Golddust was French kissing Savio Vega when I was twelve.

Professional wrestling's tried its hardest, but has never come close to topping that moment of awkwardness.

The most awkward moment I had as a wrestling fan turned out to for the better. Back in the mid 90s there was this girl in high school who I had a huge crush on. I never talked to her directly, but I let her friends know how I felt. Well that didn’t work out to well.

Fast forward to 2006 and I see this girl on MySpace. I figured it’s been a decade and a half, why not send her a message to say hi. Worst she could do is ignore it…like in high school. She responded and one thing led to another and we decided to meet up for the first time.

We started dating and a week or so into this new relationship, I told her that I had something to show her that is quite important to me. I take her to my room and show her my somewhat massive collection of CDs. I have 300+ CDs, but it wasn’t the number that was astonishing, it was the diversity of the collection. Her first question was, “Is this it?? Is this what you wanted to show me??” I told her no. Then I proceed to take out 2 boxes. She got a little scared thinking about what could be in these 2 boxes. I open them up, and in them were my collection of 20 plastic and foam kids sized Jakks WWE Championship Title Belts. “So you like Wrestling??”, her response was. I said, “No…I like music, but I love Wrestling.” There was a short awkward moment of silence, and if I recall correctly, the next thing she said was, “So…can I borrow some of your CDs from time to time??”

I married her.

I was a Hungry Howies several years ago, sitting in the lobby with the old high-school friend who had gotten me into wrestling in the first place. We were sitting in the tiny lobby area with a woman and her 6-year-old son. All of a sudden, out of nowhere, my friend starts imitating Sid Vicious hollering and screaming that he was the "Master and ruler of the world!". Both me and the mother had to shut him up, because the little kid was terrified.

From then on, whenever I brought it up, my friend said that he did something good, because that little kid he terrified is gonna grow up "and realize what a cool guy Sycho Sid was". He wasn't ashamed or embarrassed at all.

We were friends for a little too long.

One that sticks out to me is an argument I got into with a roommate during my college years when he walked into my room (we had 4 guys living in a campus owned apartment) as I watched Raw one night in spring 2007. It started with the typical "Dude, what are you watching THAT crap for!?" comments. I proceeded to explain about how I don't care that it's predetermined and that you are guaranteed a show whereas in real fights you could pay a lot of money for a PPV match that could end in less than a minute. This was met with a response of me being told that I should watch UFC instead. I then tried to explain how they have cool gimmicks like Undertaker and how guys like Cena can be good role models. He then busted out laughing saying John Cena can't even beat Kevin Federline. I then asked him bluntly to get out of my room because no one was forcing him to watch the show with me. Sometimes idiotic decisions by WWE, TNA, etc, can result in akward conversations like this one that might just for a brief moment make us embarrassed of the hobby we as posters at this forum have in common. I'm still friends with that roommate and we found other stuff to have a good time discussing throughout the semester but that was one of the more akward moments I've had as a wrestling fan.

I remember being seventeen and smoking a bowl with some mates in my car. They were not wrestling fans. I had an mp3 cd with about 50 entrance themes on it in my collection of mostly unmarked disks of death metal I had acquired from Napster/Limewire. My friend was trying to find an album by Deicide, when I suddenly heard...."Are you Ready?". It was DX's theme. Sounding very different to our usual selection of tracks, I was quizzed on what it was and knowing how much my mates would rip on me I decided to lie. I told them it was a song called Degeneration X by The Degenerates. They bought my lie hook, line and sinker. But even still, my mate was not impressed and my heart nearly stopped as his finger went from the eject button and instead hit next track. The song that came on next you ask? HBK. There is simply no way of explaining "I think I'm cute, I know I'm sexy". It took about 5 seconds for my friends to begin laughing at me (although it felt like the most awkward 5 hours of my life) and for many years after it was the subject of many a joke at my expense.

Good subject, OP.

Had a few friends over for the Royal Rumble in 2000, i think was the year. Just as mae young was dropping her top my parents walked into the room. At the time we were 15, 16 so it was really awkward

A lot of them to remember... most of the time, my mom walks in just when a divas match is going on, and she's like "why are you watching these half naked women?"... Like a couple of months ago, after Vickie Guerrero's final match, she was coated in mud and was doing Eddie's trademark pose and her boobs were jiggling all over. That was damn awkward and I somehow explained that it was her late husband's style. She is somehow always present whenever a kissing scene or something unconservative like that is going on, so I'm forced to change the channel (fuck my luck). Another awkward moment was just from yesterday; a segment from TNA was going on, where Mr. Anderson took over the Bromans' laptop and acted like a DJ while Sanada danced like an idiot in the ring. Fuck this, I thought, as I turned off the TV.

A lot of them to remember... most of the time, my mom walks in just when a divas match is going on, and she's like "why are you watching these half naked women?"... Like a couple of months ago, after Vickie Guerrero's final match, she was coated in mud and was doing Eddie's trademark pose and her boobs were jiggling all over. That was damn awkward and I somehow explained that it was her late husband's style. She is somehow always present whenever a kissing scene or something unconservative like that is going on, so I'm forced to change the channel (fuck my luck). Another awkward moment was just from yesterday; a segment from TNA was going on, where Mr. Anderson took over the Bromans' laptop and acted like a DJ while Sanada danced like an idiot in the ring. Fuck this, I thought, as I turned off the TV.

Hahaha, I know the exact same feeling. Whenever I was watching wrestling and the women were on, I'd always feel awkward when my parents walked into the room. They didn't mind the posters I had on my bedroom walls of Trish, Sable etc but it just felt weird watching half-naked women fake fight infront of my Mum, so I'd usually change the channel.

I'm kind of a closet wrestling fan, Obviously my wife, family and close friends know but I don't go publisising it to work collegues or anything, I'm not ashamed of it and wouldn't deny it if anyone asked me if I watch it, It just appears to be a kind of stigma attached to watching wrestling within certain groups of people which shouldn't be the case but it is there and doesn't help by the way certain fans act and feel wrestling fans in general appear more annoying and more negative than fans of any other sport or topic. Not talking about anyone in particular on here but certain other forums ive been on or events I have attended.

As a kid my father routinely took me to the matches in Pittsburgh. We got lots of shows because we were part of WWE's home territory thanks to Bruno Sammartino but the NWA shows drew really well, sometimes outselling WWE.

I enjoyed the shows (more NWA than WWE because the in ring product was so much better) but I knew it was scripted. Seems I always ran into people back then who believed it was real and it always caused trouble because I cheered for the heels.

At a WWE show in 1992 (with my High School Friends, not my dad) I was accosted by a clearly mentally disabled fan when he saw my Ric Flair sign (he was WWE Champ at the time). I tried to diffuse the situation, seeing he was clearly handicapped, and the person with him ended up thanking me for taking a verbal beating with little response. At another WWE show a few months earlier I was threatened by a middle aged woman who said she would "gut me" when I was cheering for Jake Roberts. Great times indeed.

At one WWE show a group of grade school age kids were hitting my & my friends with their toys, insulting us, etc - they were clearly much younger than us and I didn't want to physically confront grade schoolers so when it crossed the line into major annoyance I politely asked their mom to reign them and was told point blank by this clearly middle aged, grown adult woman "If you didn't cheer for people like Ted DiBiase that wouldn't happen" - That might have been the closest I ever came to punching a woman!

The worst however was at an NWA show in 1987 - This one I was wiith my dad, too young to go alone with friends. My dad enjoyed watching on TV and occasionally enjoyed the better quality matches but often he just sat quietly while I screamed, cheered, etc. Sting was wrestling, Im not sure who, and I was booing him. A young woman, mid 20s age, clearly old enough to know this is fake, turns around and complains about how could I possibly cheer against someone like Sting, as if I was in Church complaining about God. I laughed, but thought Id keep it down since she was obviously a huge fan. However, her boyfriend turned around and threatened to beat me up in a vulgarity laced mini tirade. I was actually shocked, and a bit scared, but my Dad very quickly out of nowhere tapped the man on the shoulder and proceeded in his vulgarity laced message to make it very clear to both of them what terrible physical things he would do to them if they said one word to me the rest of the night, let alone even think of laying a finger on me. When the woman objected my Dad cut her off and told her to shut up and when the boyfriend objected my dad challenged him to a fight right there in aisle, saying he was done talking, so either man up or shut up!!!

At this point I wasn't sure if we were going to jail or not but apparently the couple decided they didn't like their chances against an angry, grown adult 40 year old nearly as much as they liked them against 12 year old 7th grader and they didn't say a word the entire night afterwards. My dad wouldn't let it go however, as if VERY LOUDLY cheered for every heel that night, even ones I knew he didn't like.

Of course, many fans have had much worse encounters, like the story about an NWA show in Dallas in 1989 when a fan turned the man sitting next to him into security because the guy showed him a handgun and told him he would shoot Terry Funk if he won his match that night. At least I never had to deal with that level of crazy!

If I had to pick out a single moment, I'd probably have to go with Katie Vick. Even though I was a teenager at the time and I knew that Triple H wearing a Kane mask wasn't really having sex with a corpse in a casket, it just felt so friggin' awkward to watch. Even then, I knew that the whole angle was senseless, tasteless and had nothing redeemable about it.

Honorable mentions would include just about each & every time somebody joined Vince McMahon's Kiss My Ass Club. It just seemed ridiculously undignified for a grown man to pull his pants down, hitch his drawers up to expose his ass cheeks and "force" another human being to press his lips against one of said cheeks.

Another honorable mention was during Vince's storyline with Trish Stratus. I forget exactly when this took place, but there was one time when Vince was screaming & threatening her in the middle of the ring and forced her to strip down to her underwear. While the sight of Trish Stratus in nothing but bra & panties was definitely a sight to behold and while I do know that it was all scripted, I still felt a little squirmy about it.

Wrestling a toy monkey in my underwear when aged 10....thinking nobody else was upstairs when after i hit the Rock Bottom i turned around and my whole family were watching and laughing....embarrassment!

I would have to say the gun incident with Pillman and Austin. I remember watching that live, and thinking how out of the box it was. I thought they had gone too far with that one.

There have probably been a number of them over the years (I've most likely tried blocking them out...), but there is one I do remember.

I number of years ago I was re-watching King of the Ring 2000 on DVD, one of my Grandparents walked in during the infamous Gerald Brisco vs Pat Patterson evening gown match.

Awkward.

1999, Me and the rest of my class went on a school field trip. Other schools were there too. I was wearing my DX shirt (original black t-shirt). Back of the shirt it said two words, suck it. A lot of the kids from the other schools would do the DX crotch chop or scream suck it. All that was cool, just other wrestling fans saying what's up. As I was walking up to an exhibit behind me I hear someone with a high pitch tone say "I would suck it if you are up to it". I turned around there was this fruit cake just looking at me with a twinkle stare. I literally never wore my DX shirt again, lol.

I forget if it was RAW, Smackdown or what but I was watching WWE at work the other day & my co-worker walked up to ask me a question right as Adam Rose & The Bunny were playing with some action figures in a backstage segment. He's also sort of a friend so it wasn't too awkward but he just kind of chuckled & rolled his eyes.

Another recent one was when I went to a live event with some of my family. I've dragged many a family member to WWE events over the year & even turned a couple of them like my Dad into casual fans, but when AJ & Paige are teasing some HLA & your sitting with your family... it definitely makes for some awkward conversation lol.

I remember being seventeen and smoking a bowl with some mates in my car. They were not wrestling fans. I had an mp3 cd with about 50 entrance themes on it in my collection of mostly unmarked disks of death metal I had acquired from Napster/Limewire. My friend was trying to find an album by Deicide, when I suddenly heard...."Are you Ready?". It was DX's theme. Sounding very different to our usual selection of tracks, I was quizzed on what it was and knowing how much my mates would rip on me I decided to lie. I told them it was a song called Degeneration X by The Degenerates. They bought my lie hook, line and sinker. But even still, my mate was not impressed and my heart nearly stopped as his finger went from the eject button and instead hit next track. The song that came on next you ask? HBK. There is simply no way of explaining "I think I'm cute, I know I'm sexy". It took about 5 seconds for my friends to begin laughing at me (although it felt like the most awkward 5 hours of my life) and for many years after it was the subject of many a joke at my expense.

Good subject, OP.
I know that feeling. Contrary to what my bro thinks there is absolutely nothing cool about rolling up to a party or a group of friends who are not wrestling fans with "We are the Nation of Domination" blaring out of the car speakers.

I'm a junior in college and marked the eff out when Sting debuted at Survivor Series. My roommate isn't a wrestling fan so he had no clue why it was historic. I basically explained wrestling from 1996-2000 to him but man, nobody else I talk to knows what his debut means.

Several come to mind while attending live events as a kid, where my father(not a wrestling fan at all, but he sucked it up and brought myself, my brother and friends several times) was with us.

One was Luna Vachon coming out to cut a promo. Nuff said. I was cringing as my dad had a look of "WTF is this" on his face. LOL.

Another was Shawn Michaels entrance music and gyrations, I believe at the same event. I'm pretty sure pops wanted to kick HBK's ass. LOL.

Working in a mall food court during college in Springfield, MO and seeing Ace Steel. He had retired and was working for AT&T and seemed shocked that I knew who he was. I was marking for him and asked what he was doing in that shithole instead of in Chicago. He was then embarrassed about his real person job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back