• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What was the best TV show you discovered in 2011?

LSN80

King Of The Ring
When I ask this question, I'm not necessarily referring to a show that debuted in 2011, although they certainly qualify. When asking this question, I simply want to know what show you discovered in 2011, new or otherwise, that impressed you more then any other.

To be honest, I haven't been much of a TV watcher most of my life. Outside of wrestling, Pittsburgh sports, and USA shows such as Psych, Burn Notice, and White Collar, I never made a concerted effort to watch television. If I was terribly bored, I'd watch, but there was nothing else I followed on a regular basis.

That changed this past summer, as I had knee surgeries in both June and October. I suddenly had plenty of free time on my hands, and television was the medium I used to pass the time. I gave shows I knew of but had yet to watch such as How I Met Your Mother, Scrubs, and Sons of Anarchy a chance, and I liked them all, and watch HIMYM every Monday night now. I also began to follow Revenge on ABC, which to me is easily the best new show of 2011, wonderfully scripted, and masterfully acted. All of those shows I enjoy greatly, but as for personal favorite? It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

I'm not going to go into great detail regarding the show, but it revolves around 4 thirty-somethings who run a run-down bar in Philadelphia called Paddy's Pub. Dennis and Dee are twins, with Mac and Charlie being high school friends of the pair. Dennis is a narcissistic sociopath who believes he is flawless due to his Ivy League education, but has no redeeming personal qualities. Dee has the nickname "Sweet Dee", but there's nothing sweet about her, as she's crude, selfish, and believes herself to have a future acting in Hollywood, though she's obviously got no discernable acting skills. Mac considers himself to be "streetwise" with an advanced knowledge of martial arts, but like Dee, truly has has no skills. Charlie is illiterate with severe anger management issues, and likes living in filth, often wearing the same clothes day after day. Rounding out the cast is Danny Devito, the "father" of Dee and Dennis, a sleezy businessman with poor people skills.

The brilliance of the show lies in the situations the gang gets themselves into. When they're not trying to sabotage other people, they try to sabotage each other as well. They rarely-to-never succeed, with every scheme blowing up in their face, leaving them worse off then before. But the conviction with which they try to execute these rediculous schemes is hilarious, even as it's apparent that the impending doom regarding such schemes is coming.

With a fantastic cast of character actors, well-written scripts, and laughs a plenty, Always Sunny has been my discovery of 2011. I knew of it for years, but never bothered to watch a single episode. Now, I'm glad I gave it a chance, as it truly was the "find of the year" for me.

What was the best show you discovered in 2011? Why?

The Office (US version) & 30 Rock. Due to conflicting TV shows/too many damn things on Food Network being recorded on the DVR by my GF/etc, I was never able to watch either of these two shows before.

Then, something magical happened. Both series appeared on Netflix streaming. Over the course of about 2 months, I was able to catch up from the very beginning of both series to almost where the previous season left off. I am 100% fully caught up with both now, and completely hooked.

Netflix streaming is the greatest damn invention ever.

Gotta give it to Always Sunny. I honestly did not give alot of shows chances this year. Television stations go through the same formula every year. 100 new shows start, about 95 of them get cancelled by next year or before. But anyway Always Sunny was something I never gave a chance at first because it looked like one of those comedies in which I thought it was just a reckelss idotic style of comedy. But it wasn't, it's probably one of the funniest comedies on tv rite now. I have stated this another thread that I hate shows with laugh tracks so the fact that this one doesn't is probably another reason why I like it. It's just every character on the show is so pathetic in their own way that the most depressing endings on the show make me laugh my hardest because they bring it on themselves. Charlie Day and Danny Devito is what makes the show shine though. How I Met Your Mother on the other hand is a show I got into last year and watched every episode and I still love it but the recent season in my opinion is horrendous.

It had to be Breaking Bad. Never heard of it before, but my brother started telling me about it. At first, I was reluctant to watching it because I didn't think it would be my "type," of show. After a few episodes, I was hooked and couldn't stop watching it. It had a very good story, great characters with great actors playing them and it was something I'd never seen before on any other show. Overall, it had all of the elements I think a good drama show should have.

Another show I started watching was Homeland. Wasn't as good as Breaking Bad, but I thought it had an intriguing plot and when the new season comes around the fall, I'm going to make sure I watch it right after Dexter.

The Office (US version) & 30 Rock. Due to conflicting TV shows/too many damn things on Food Network being recorded on the DVR by my GF/etc, I was never able to watch either of these two shows before.

Then, something magical happened. Both series appeared on Netflix streaming. Over the course of about 2 months, I was able to catch up from the very beginning of both series to almost where the previous season left off. I am 100% fully caught up with both now, and completely hooked.

Netflix streaming is the greatest damn invention ever.

Good to know you enjoyed The Office, sad news is while you may have caught up, it's all downhill from here. It's been really tough to watch as of late. It's pretty crap without Carrell.

As for what I've discovered, not sure. I kind of started to realize how kick ass Parks and Rec was, even though I watched it sparingly before I didn't become a regular viewer and fan till this year. Ron Swanson's manliness is just too much to resist.

And I guess Workaholics as well. I got kind of turned off when the first time I turned it on they were talking about getting deep inside urinary tracts, but soon thereafter I realized it was funny as hell. Possibly the perfect show.

Good to know you enjoyed The Office, sad news is while you may have caught up, it's all downhill from here. It's been really tough to watch as of late. It's pretty crap without Carrell.

Oh, I have been watching The Office this season as it airs originally...I am caught up all the way through this past Thursday. I do miss Steve Carell, but I don't think the quality has really dropped off all that much. Jim vs. Dwight was always my favorite part of the show. I loved Michael Scott as a character, and I hope that they can somehow get him to make a cameo in an episode somehow like they did with Ricky Gervais, but I can enjoy the show without him.

Weeds. I had heard about it from several friends, but because of the outward nature of the show I never had any interest in watching it. You see commercials for it, or a promo poster and it looks like R-Rated Desperate Housewives. But the thing that got me is that my DAD picked up the first season and recommended it to me. My dad is a pretty manly guy - he's not a lumberjack or anything but he definitely doesn't watch shows about wealthy suburban middle-aged women have issues with their sex lives... (Not to dump on DH too much, as I've never actually seen more than an episode).

Turns out it's actually a really intriguing show. I'm now completely caught up and I can't wait for this Summer just for the next season to start! It's one of the few shows I've seen that can really appeal to just about an avid television watcher. My mom watches it for the drama and the occasional romantic plots, and because there are indeed some Desperate Housewives-esk plots in the first few seasons. My dad watches it for the excellent story, the characters, and the fact that it's about normal people running huge pot rings in white suburbia. By the current season things have gotten a bit ridiculous, but that's one thing that almost endears me towards the show. Yes, its a bit unrealistic that this family is still (relatively) intact after surviving Mexican drug cartels, arms dealers, several murders, and burning down an entire city...but it's still wonderful. The episodes are a bit short - I really wish it was an hour long show instead of a 30 minute-r, but there's no commercials, so you get the full block.

I honestly can't believe I never gave the show a chance! If you haven't watched it because it seems to "girly" for you, let me assure you...it's awesome.

Criminal Minds gets my vote. Never before have I watched a crime series other than Law and Order that I've enjoyed this much. Criminal Minds offers some great action alongside an FBI branch that I haven't heard of in the BAU. The characters are splendid and since they are "profilers", it's interesting when they start profiling each other and start digging into their past. The series has 7 seasons and I'm all caught up. Matthew Gray Gubler gives the show it's uniqueness because you have a nerdy-tough guy. Then you also have AJ Cook and Paget Brewster who are pleasing to the eyes :)

As for what I've discovered, not sure. I kind of started to realize how kick ass Parks and Rec was, even though I watched it sparingly before I didn't become a regular viewer and fan till this year. Ron Swanson's manliness is just too much to resist.

And I guess Workaholics as well. I got kind of turned off when the first time I turned it on they were talking about getting deep inside urinary tracts, but soon thereafter I realized it was funny as hell. Possibly the perfect show.

You reckon? I miss having Carrell on the show, but I think the shows still watchable and has its moments. Although I am not a fan of "Robert California".

2011 I watched the first season of Breakout Kings, was quite good once you get into, Jimmi Simpson is amazing on it. Also started watching Modern Family which isn't too bad either.

I thought it was going to be Breaking Bad, but it just hasn't completely clicked for me yet. My friend is a huge fan of it and was eager for me to check it out, so eventually I did, and while it is a good show, I'm just not on the same wavelength as those who love it.

This year the standout show for me was This is England 88. There were only 3 episodes of the mini-series and the tone was very dark, but I am a big fan of Shane Meadows (director) as well as several of the cast members so was psyched when this arrived in mid-December. Hopefully, given the conclusion of 88, TIE 90 should be pretty good.

I'm surprised no one listed Workoholics. That is probally the funniest new show on television. I've seen every episode. This seasson of South Park was great and I also like the Community. Most shows that are out today arn't that good. Besides Animal Planet I hardly watch any television just because when ever I look for something to watch I never find anything. I have over 400 DVDs and Netflix so that keeps me entertained

I've absolutely grown to love the show "Storage Wars". A&E original programming is typically pretty good. I like "Intervention", "Beyond Scared Straight" and others I can quite think of off of the top of my head. "Storage Wars", however has to be my favorite A&E show. I love the whole idea of what these guys do to make a living. While I realize that the show is sensationalized to the effect that not every storage locker will contain a hidden gem, it's also a pretty cool way to earn a living.

I can NOT STAND Dave. He just seems like a miserable prick at all times. Darryl is starting to get on my nerves a tad as well, but Jarod and Brandi are absolutely awesome! The dynamic between those two is one of the reasons I'm continued to be drawn into the show. Their back and forth and seemingly endless quest to "one up" the other, even though they are essentially on the same team, never gets old. Barry is another character I really enjoy. His antics tend to piss of the guys that have been doing this for a living for quite some time (especially Dave, which I love), but you have to admire his enthusiasm for being an old geezer. The types of people he chooses to "team up with" or bring to the auctions as some type of good luck charm, never cease to entertain. Even Dan and Laura the auctioneer and his wife bring a certain something that makes the show enjoyable.

There is now a spin-off, entitled "Storage Wars: Texas". While it's not as good as the first and I don't think the characters are quite as engaging, I'm still really enjoying the show. I hope the original sticks around at least another couple of years, although if it does, I may be tempted to go out and buy my own locker, to try to hit the jackpot. Hey, I've got at least as good chance doing that as I do hitting the lottery.

Kyle XY.

I knew of this show during its original run but never really bothered to watch it. The commercials made it look like it might be dumb so I just skipped out on watching it, like I do with several shows where the advertisements do not grab my attention. I was bored one day towards the end of 2011 and we had nothing better to do so I searched around on Netflix for shows that it recommended for me and that was one of them. My wife thought we should try it and it exceeded both of our expectations. We proceeded to watch every single episode within the next two weeks. That was a good show and easily the best show I discovered in 2011 because it completely blew away my expectations. Memorable cast and well written.

I've absolutely grown to love the show "Storage Wars".

^This, Pawn Stars, and American Pickers... as well as ABC Family shows like Pretty Little Liars and Switched at Birth that I watch with my girlfriend.

Storage Wars, to me, is far more superior than Storage Wars Texas. I love how Dave is always the guy to coax Jarrod up to force him to spend more money than he's really wanting to spend. I like the whole "Take a gamble and see what you get" type of shows.

Pawn Stars and American Pickers are both great shows to learn that some of the old shit you have in your house could actually be worth value. I've had at least 3 items that have shown up on Pawn Stars which got someone money on the show. I'm a bit skeptical to really try the asking price for those that they did on the show, but it's nice to know.

ABC Shows like Pretty Little Liars and Switched at Birth are nice for the people who like shows that get deep into character development... especially Pretty Little Liars. Which, to be honest, everybody should be into that show. It's got lesbians for crying out loud, and an on going mystery that makes you tune in each week as well as the sub-plots that go on.

Then of course, there's Good Eats but I didn't discover it in 2011... I've been watching that show since its debut and I have to say that it's the best insight on culinary arts ever given. Of course, Chopped and other Food Network shows are cool too, but Good Eats is far superior.

Where do I begin? 2011 was basically the year that I actually discovered the television was used for other things besides a way to project images via gaming consoles. I learned a lot about television shows during this year and became known to a lot of good shows: most of them quickly becoming my favourites.

First one that honestly took the cake was a show called "Outsourced." It's a television series that aired in 2010 which is what you'd call a spin-off from an independent film created in 2007. Basically, an American company outsources their call centers to India, sending over an American to run the place as manager. Whilst the film isn't entirely outstanding, it give the basis for this show which I have done nothing but enjoy the comedic side of culture clashes. Great actors (most of which are relatively unknown), solid storylines and an overall good script that has you laughing most scenes. Ever since being exposed to this show, I have spread the word about this show and a lot of friends and family I know honestly enjoy it. After watching it so many times listening to the same jokes over and over, I still get a kick from them. It doesn't bother me if I have to watch an episode 20 times over to show others, it's still an awesome show. Only problem is it ran for one season and I have lost interest in it completely unless I'm showcasing it... so I have a second favourite.

I'm going to be brutally condemned for this but My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic was something I discovered and started to get into during the end of 2011 (around about November/December time). I've heard it's impact on the internet spreading like wild-fire: image macros, fan-fiction and clips on YouTube. I decided to give it a far go because a lot of the reviews reflected positively and I don't know how but this show targeted for young females to advertise a children's toy franchise got me hooked. The way the show works could be best described as how Spongebob: aimed for the children audience specifically but for those parents/adults who watch along with the kids, they throw in some references and/or create segments in the show where everyone will enjoy it. It's also a female show that doesn't specifically discuss/involve the topics that most males and older adults don't usually care for like baking sweets, boy talk or being obsessed with fashion but rather more important ones like how making friends and choosing the right moral decisions will ultimately lead you to a better life... and this is something I find enticing about the show: something that I can sit down and someday when I have daughters of my own, sit down and enjoy the show with them without having to worry about the messages behind it because I know they are the ones I'd be teaching to my children.

So I can take my pick from either Outsource or MLP: FiM. Both have hooked me from the first couple of episodes and made me a instant fan, as well as others when I show it to them (although MLP is less successful due to some people not accepting the ponies being awesomely cute... I mean, the nature of the show). One is a great, original comedy show and the other is a good-natured show for young females teaching important life lessons that I'd someday teach to my kids.

Sherlock definitely took me by surprise this year, as it is without a shadow of a doubt my favorite show of 2011.

I'd heard about it way back in 2010 when it came out, but was immediately put off by the episodes being one and a half hours long. I mean, that's a whole movie in some instances. I just pretty much ignored it.

That is, until October. My friend, woke me up so early in the morning jumping up and down like a little child, just because the second season had an air-date. Yes, he loved it that much. Needless to say, I was livid. But, after much persuasion and frequent-
ducking, I caved and watched... I was blown away.

Everything about the show is masterfully done. The swanky mobile phone UI, the title screen, the screenplay, the directing, the producing, the editing, and last, but most definitely not least, the acting. Mark my words, Benedict Cumberbatch (Sherlock) will win quite a few oscars. He's actually rumoured to play the main villain in Star Trek 2, so there's a start. Martin Freeman (Dr. Watson) isn't too shabby either and portrays the Watson role rather exactly. The thing I most like about the show is how it never fails to surprise me. An example of this is Sherlock's impressive ''science of deduction.'' I don't think I've ever seen a screenplay and actor intertwine with each other so well, to just make Sherlock seem like the pompous, enviously-intelligent, arrogant ******** he is. I would recommend it to absolutely everyone, no matter what the ilk. Season 3 can't come quick enough.

Revenge probably was the best 2011 show I have watched it's just a good show it makes you wonder what's going to happen in the episode and it's thriller type show. I'm a huge fan of thrillers so this show is good.

I know this show didnt come out until just 2 weeks ago but I got to say Alcataz is really good.

I have three; all are shows that were recommended by friends for ages, but I had just never got around to watching until last year.

The first is Firefly. I've never watched any of Joss Whedon's stuff, so when my friends told me it was made by 'the guy who did Buffy', I didn't really pay much attention. But eventually, after finally accepting that they wouldn't leave me alone until I watched it, I caved. And I am SO glad I did. I borrowed it off a friend, and three days later I gave it him back. He was suprised that I'd finished it so quickly. I hadn't, just the copy I ordered after watching the first disc of his copy had turned up. I loved the plots of each episode, the music, the interweaving of the space and western genres, and most of all, the different characters. Captain Reynolds is a real enigma at times, but in reality, what you see is what you get, and though the entire crew are equal in terms of characters, he is arguably the 'main' main character.

The second is Castle. Crime dramas are a dime a dozen, and there are others that follow the layout of a crime team being helped by an outsider (such as The Mentalist, hell even Sherlock Holmes is an example of this at times) but the writing, the building of the plot and the character of author Richard Castle just makes it stand out. It's humour is great (helped by Nathan Fillion in the title role) and his relationship with Detective Beckett, his daughter and his mother are wonderfully strung together.

The final one is Dexter. Started it at the beginning of August, caught up by October. I'd heard about it for ages, and a mate lent me season one. I watched it within two days. I then went out and bought season 2 and stretched it out longer, getting seasons 3 and 4 for my birthday in August, the day after I finished season 2. Dexter is such a complex, enigmatic character, masterfully written and portrayed by Michael C. Hall, who despite feeling void of emotion is one of the most emotionally driven characters I've seen. He strikes a wonderful balance between hero and villain at times, and is the ultimate vigilante in his own right. If you haven't seen Dexter, give season one a go. By the end, you will want more.

So yeah, there's my two cents.

Reactions: TLC
Wow that's a tough question, one of my favorite things to do is discover new TV shows and just watch them from start to finish, I'm constantly doing it with tons of shows simultaneously and I discovered a few great shows last year. Let's see...well first and foremost the British show Skins, I finally got around to watching and fell in love with instantly, thank fuck it's still on the air too so I actually have new episodes to watch! In fact the new series just started I do believe last week. In that same teen drama vein, I also discovered the entire Degrassi franchise this year. Yeah fuck you if you think it's lame, the original show especially from the late 80s/early 90s was so freaking amazing and is easily the best and most realistic "teen" show I think I've ever seen (outside of maybe Freaks & Geeks and My So Called Life). I also started watching Dawson's Creek on the recommendation of JMT and really enjoyed the first few seasons. I'm on Season 5 I think right now but I've been stuck on it for months now because the show really, really fell off in terms of quality once Kevin Williamson left the show after Season 3.

Hmmm...what else? I guess you could count the trio of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, and The Wire in there as well even though technically I started watching all three around the winter of 2010, but I went through all three within a few months and was blown away by all three. Amazing shit.

I guess that's about it off the top of my head. Was a very good TV-watching year for myself, discovered a whole slew of new shows that are now firmly planted on my Top 10 shows ever list.

Let's see...well first and foremost the British show Skins, I finally got around to watching and fell in love with instantly, thank fuck it's still on the air too so I actually have new episodes to watch! In fact the new series just started I do believe last week.

What season are you on now? If you haven't reached reached five, don't bother. Around the second episode it loses all the charm it once had. The cast isn't anywhere near as good and the story falls rather flat. Honestly, it's getting by on series 1-4's reputation now. I just watched the first episode of the new series, and well, meh. Nothing really clicks, episodes lack continuity and everything seems... rushed. If you are really in love with Skins stop watching after series 4. Series 5 and 6 is like when your grandparents get alzheimer's. It's sometimes painful to watch and you miss the old them.

Scrubs & two and a half men.

Never enjoyed them from the look of the adverts, but gave them a try last year and loved them. They really make me laugh and a good evenings viewing.

I started watching the show American Horror Story this year and man is that show a trip, anyone who has seen it knows what I'm talking about. I don't really even like it but theres something about it that makes you want to keep watching, it might just be the fact that it's so different from anything else on tv right now. My favorite thing about it is when they show the history of the house and it's past owners because the stories are very cool. I don't know how much longer I'll keep watching but it certainly is captivating.

Christian "Minimum Wage" Cage;3679852 said:
Sherlock definitely took me by surprise this year, as it is without a shadow of a doubt my favorite show of 2011.

I'd heard about it way back in 2010 when it came out, but was immediately put off by the episodes being one and a half hours long. I mean, that's a whole movie in some instances. I just pretty much ignored it.

That is, until October. My friend, woke me up so early in the morning jumping up and down like a little child, just because the second season had an air-date. Yes, he loved it that much. Needless to say, I was livid. But, after much persuasion and frequent-
ducking, I caved and watched... I was blown away.

Everything about the show is masterfully done. The swanky mobile phone UI, the title screen, the screenplay, the directing, the producing, the editing, and last, but most definitely not least, the acting. Mark my words, Benedict Cumberbatch (Sherlock) will win quite a few oscars. He's actually rumoured to play the main villain in Star Trek 2, so there's a start. Martin Freeman (Dr. Watson) isn't too shabby either and portrays the Watson role rather exactly. The thing I most like about the show is how it never fails to surprise me. An example of this is Sherlock's impressive ''science of deduction.'' I don't think I've ever seen a screenplay and actor intertwine with each other so well, to just make Sherlock seem like the pompous, enviously-intelligent, arrogant ******** he is. I would recommend it to absolutely everyone, no matter what the ilk. Season 3 can't come quick enough.

Sherlock is my answer too, as someone that has read an awful lot of Sherlock Holmes and watched the Jeremy Brett television series, my first reaction to a modern day update was "fuck off" but it won me over pretty quickly.

It was different enough to work, Sherlock as an extremely arrogant borderline sociopathic character was a welcome twist, as the old Sherlock wasnt boastfull, he really was that smart but he was willing to accept his older brother Mycrofts far superior intellect, this Sherlock cant stand it.

Mycroft, man have I always found that character interesting, we see far too little of him in the old stories due to his own laziness. He's only been truly expanded upon in other fiction (the second League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen comic for example) but when I think of him now I'll think of Mark Gatiss, a truly brilliant and very dangerous character indeed. As his plan in the new Scandal story showed, had it not been for Sherlocks own ego, he would've beaten Sherlock's own nemesis Moriarty without Moriarty even knowing he was beaten. He obviously still possesses the Holmes ego, as he just has to let Sherlock in on the plan and how brilliant it was after Sherlock himself had fucked it up.

Chuck in a brilliant new take on Moriarty and more nods and references to the old stories and adaptations than you can shake a stick at and this fucker was the find of the year for me.

I am tied between Chuck and Greek.

If you guys don't know much about Chuck it is basically a average guy getting dragged into the spy business because he has this computer in his brain that allows him to see private information on people and even later in the seasons he can become like a special type of spy. I am currently on the fourth season and I love it. It's funny and it isn't shoved down your throats like most tv shows. Just a great overall show with a good storyline which is almost impossible to predict.

Greek is about kids going to college and.. Well lets just say it is like One Tree Hill or The OC but College form. I don't know what it is but these shows just attract me into watching them. I only saw season 5 last year and I started halfway through the season so it was a bit hard to understand everything but it was still very enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back