• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What was Dixies "Surprise"?

jhauth11

Mr Money In The Bank
It only just poped back into my head and im scraching my head trying to remember what was the big "change"/"suprise" that dixie carter was talking about acouple of months ago. Or was it another one of TNA's as HUGE STAR IS COMING TO TNA .... Out walks Al Snow

A few months later, she went back on her statement, saying how she should have used her words better, because she didn't mean it to be as big of a deal as she did. I think it was just EV2 coming in or something.

I believe she said that it would "change wrestling forever". But that's a very vague term. Wrestling "changes forever" every week, even if only a little.

I'll have to admit she had be going for awhile there. I was waiting for something huge to happen or someone big to sign..

Maybe she was talking about Hogan and friends taking over, it's hard to say. There have been surprises on TNA, Hardy heel turn, but I'm not sure that she was talking about that.

Don't buy the fact that she worded it incorrectly mainly because she sent out a number of tweets about the same thing. Probably they where expecting someone to sign and they didn't. Wasn't this also around the time Heyman was in talks to come to TNA? Anyway noticed that after awhile the subject just sort of died down and I was kind of disappointed.

There was no surprise. There never was intended to be an actual surprise. This was simply a case of Dixie Carter using the internet, specifically twitter, to dupe the fans into purchasing PPV's that they would otherwise have never intended to purchase. Short-term gain, which is going to mean long-term pain as the old expression goes, there's no doubt in my mind about this. She got me, once. My one and only TNA PPV was Bound For Glory because she fooled me with the whole "they" are coming to change the world of professional wrestling forever. I can guarantee you, though, she will not fool me again.

TNA has done this several times now. They begin to hype something dramatic, some surprise, some debut, whatever, something supposedly earth-shattering. You can see and feel the anticipation and excitement build, on these forums, in the iMPACT zone, etc., Then at the last second, they backpeddle and let everyone down. Or they don't even bother to backpeddle, they just disappoint people with no attempt to save face in the process. Not to be critical of TNA or to be apocalyptic about their future, but I really believe that this will really hurt them in the future if they continue to play the naive TNA faithful amongst the IWC in this manner. People's patience will run out. It's one thing to attempt a storyline and have it simply not live up to expectations, we have seen this from both companies and let's face it, wrestling fans today are super-critical and far more informed than ever. But if they continue to promise the moon and instead give us absolutely nothing, this "cry wolf" strategy will ultimately backfire. They have absolutely lost me by employing this technique, and while I'm only one guy, I doubt I'm alone.

i assume the surprise is JEFF being the ANTI-CHRIST. I honestly have been enjoying his promos of late and look forward to seeing if they can make this angle a success or crash and burn. TNA really needs to cut ties with EV2 asappppppppppppp...bunch of washed up guys that nobody cares about.

i assume the surprise is JEFF being the ANTI-CHRIST. I honestly have been enjoying his promos of late and look forward to seeing if they can make this angle a success or crash and burn. TNA really needs to cut ties with EV2 asappppppppppppp...bunch of washed up guys that nobody cares about.

There's only one problem with this theory: with all due respect, it doesn't make sense. Not to be overly analytical of things, but Jeff Hardy's heel turn into the anti-Christ was a swerve, a shocking turn of events which supposedly no one saw coming. Dixie could not have known (kayfabe) that this was going to happen, if so she could and would have taken steps to stop it, or to at least warn the appropriate people about it. You cannot tweet the IWC about a shocking development if you don't know it's going to occur (again, kayfabe).

If I were to give Dixie the benefit of the doubt, perhaps she thought she had something lined up and it fell through, leaving her to scramble for a fall-back position (which is being kind for the end result we ended up with). Maybe she really thought she was going to land Heyman, or Jericho, or Batista, and it didn't pan out, which would be naive of her at best.

But I stand by my original theory. Deception pure and simple. What can we do to boost PPV numbers and/or TV ratings? I know. Let's promise the fans something to trick them into tuning in. We won't deliver, hell we won't even try to deliver, but at least we got their money for one PPV and got a ratings spike (to a whopping 1.3) for one episode of iMPACT. Let's worry about tomorrow when the time comes. Short-sighted and dangerous if you ask me.

I would surmise that it was suppose to be the signing of Paul Heyman. By many accounts the two sides not only met, but were also close to a deal. However, when it was evident that it was not going to happen, Dixie had to issue a new statement to downplay her previous overzealous statements.

She did say that she perhaps overreached with what she said, but then she said this right around the same time:
TNADixie said:
TNA iMPACT! is going LIVE on 10/7. Remember my tweet about how TNA is going to change forever? Stay tuned.
Some of you might remember on these boards how this caused some of the more loyal guppies to go "OMG, see! DAMNED BE YOUR LACK OF FAITH!!!", and then dance around these boards demanding that everyone who doubted Dixie Carter's wisdom apologize for not believing in Dixie. The kind of "change forever" that happens after a meeting with Spike executives, for those of you familiar with the original tweet that one referenced (I do not have the stamina to search through Dixie's tweets to find one particular tweet from early this summer.)

Who knows. Maybe she was referencing the nWo tribute card they ran recently, but then again, that wasn't a surprise, and nothing really changed.

I would surmise that it was suppose to be the signing of Paul Heyman. By many accounts the two sides not only met, but were also close to a deal. However, when it was evident that it was not going to happen, Dixie had to issue a new statement to downplay her previous overzealous statements.

But don't you think that it is at least irresponsible, if not downright blatantly deceptive, to start tweeting the world about changing the world forever until you are absolutely positive that the deal has been done? You cannot peak the interest of the TNA faithful and the WWE hopefuls by saying you are going to change the landscape of professional wrestling and take it to the WWE because you think you might have a chance to land Paul Heyman. Not to even mention the fact that even signing Heyman would not have been that dramatic a big deal, albeit bigger and better than what we got, which was absolutely nothing.

Deception, pure and simple.

There's only one problem with this theory: with all due respect, it doesn't make sense. Not to be overly analytical of things, but Jeff Hardy's heel turn into the anti-Christ was a swerve, a shocking turn of events which supposedly no one saw coming. Dixie could not have known (kayfabe) that this was going to happen, if so she could and would have taken steps to stop it, or to at least warn the appropriate people about it. You cannot tweet the IWC about a shocking development if you don't know it's going to occur (again, kayfabe).

If I were to give Dixie the benefit of the doubt, perhaps she thought she had something lined up and it fell through, leaving her to scramble for a fall-back position (which is being kind for the end result we ended up with). Maybe she really thought she was going to land Heyman, or Jericho, or Batista, and it didn't pan out, which would be naive of her at best.

But I stand by my original theory. Deception pure and simple. What can we do to boost PPV numbers and/or TV ratings? I know. Let's promise the fans something to trick them into tuning in. We won't deliver, hell we won't even try to deliver, but at least we got their money for one PPV and got a ratings spike (to a whopping 1.3) for one episode of iMPACT. Let's worry about tomorrow when the time comes. Short-sighted and dangerous if you ask me.

Well if it can't be Jeff Heel turn because of kabafe and it was a swerve (which I completly agree with you) maybe she could get out of it saying she was about to unveal a surprise before the take over. Still lame and still a way to get buys from the PPV but they could "justify" it to some extent.

I for one, when she said it was more of a change than a surprise thought they were finally going live or moving out of the Impact zone, but unfortunately they aren't yet.

She never actually said the word "surprise" originally (at least I don't think so). I don't think it was any one event or person that she was talking about, but I believe she was referencing the difference in the way Impact is now presented. The reality TV-type backstage segments instead of having interviewers and a quick promo is very different. It might not be something that people immediately noticed, but it does give the shows a different feel. And these segments began to happen somewhat gradually. They finally have very much differentiated themselves from WWE in this sense, and I think it is successful.

Changing the format like this is something Dixie would have had to meet with Spike TV about, so perhaps it is this format change that she was talking about. The "Impact going LIVE" tweet doesn't really support this theory, but it's still not a bad thought.

"She should have worded it differently." "She has apologized." "Technically, when you look at the microscopic details (that no one else can see), she was kinda, sorta..right."

All of the excuses being made for Dixie and her foolish "tweet" are complete bullshit. She lied, plain and simple. She threw out something that she hoped would, for the immediate future, increase ratings and/or PPV buys. It's that simple.

Dixie was, and is, completely full of shit. She actually said, on her twitter, that they were going to "change the wrestling world forever" or some shit like that. And she lied, to each and every one of her company's fans. She knew there was no HUGE surprise, but she didn't care. I swear to God, when TNA does shit like this, I really consider no longer watching. Instead of building up a company, shaping a roster full of decent talent, etc., this is what we get. We get a load of bullshit from a woman who had no intention on delivering what she said. "Change the wrestling world"...what a complete crock of shit this was.

She never actually said the word "surprise" originally (at least I don't think so). I don't think it was any one event or person that she was talking about, but I believe she was referencing the difference in the way Impact is now presented. The reality TV-type backstage segments instead of having interviewers and a quick promo is very different. It might not be something that people immediately noticed, but it does give the shows a different feel. And these segments began to happen somewhat gradually. They finally have very much differentiated themselves from WWE in this sense, and I think it is successful.

Changing the format like this is something Dixie would have had to meet with Spike TV about, so perhaps it is this format change that she was talking about. The "Impact going LIVE" tweet doesn't really support this theory, but it's still not a bad thought.

The only thing I don't like about those changes is the handy cam that they have sometime in a backstage skit where you can't see anything. Like the knockout meeting with Tessmatcher before BFG where the 4 knockouts were there plus her, plus 2-3 security guards and the camera was shaking and you couldn't see anything. Other than that yeah I believe that's the change they were talking about too.

The BIG SUPRISE that dixie was talking about was right after her first or second meeting with Paul Heyman and she was actually teasing him signing with TNA it was then that Heyman made a ridiculous set of demands for Dixie and TNA to agree to in order to get him to sign.....obviously this fell through and since Dreamer and EV 2.0 were already appearing in the stands at TNA events TNA had to go forward with the ECW reunion / EV2.0 storyline without him...

www.wrestlingnewslive.tk

Dixie's full of shit. She's done that before and didn't deliver. She should learn to shut the fuck up. Don't tease a surprise, ever. No matter what it is, the fans expectations will be bigger. Just surprise people and let them react. Vince teased that he was going to change TV forever...we got NXT. Really?
You can't call out something "industry changing". Those things just happen. I bet Bishoff didn't expect the NWO to be as defining as it was. I think he thought it would get over, but not to the extent. Austin just kinda happened too. Yes the years of hard work lead up to it. However 3:16 was a fluke and they RAN with it.
Dixie isn't going to change the business by tweeting about it. She should focus on learning more about the business and how to put on the best TNA program she can. Fuck WWE, ROH, Evolve..everyone...just concentrate on TNA. Stop all the bullshit announcements. She should be on tv like Jack Tunney was...rarely.

I guess the surprise or the change was Hogan and Bischoff taking over TNA with the new Immortal gimmick. It doesn't make sense though because why would Dixie comment about something that she isn't for? She didn't know she was signing over the company (kayfabe) so why would she say a surprise or change in TNA would occur?
I really think there might have been a surprise, but TNA couldn't make it possible so they just acted like the event that would change TNA forever was never said.

When are we going to learn that when Dixie says there will be a suprise, there won't been one. It's been written in the books before Dixie has done this to get cheap hype, from the 2 people who missed Impact for a few weeks and will be like "Who is the moron fist pumping and why is he wearing the X division belt?". It's just trying to create some hype that she feel twitter gets.

She was doing these statements for months just to try and get people interested. Really, have they done anything which completely changed TNA since Hogan and Bischoff came along other than destroy the entire X-Division? Nope...

She did say that she perhaps overreached with what she said, but then she said this right around the same time:

Some of you might remember on these boards how this caused some of the more loyal guppies to go "OMG, see! DAMNED BE YOUR LACK OF FAITH!!!", and then dance around these boards demanding that everyone who doubted Dixie Carter's wisdom apologize for not believing in Dixie. The kind of "change forever" that happens after a meeting with Spike executives, for those of you familiar with the original tweet that one referenced (I do not have the stamina to search through Dixie's tweets to find one particular tweet from early this summer.)

Who knows. Maybe she was referencing the nWo tribute card they ran recently, but then again, that wasn't a surprise, and nothing really changed.

Perfectly said. She's a liar. She never had anything because literally nothing happened on 10/7. The whole show was a disappointment and probably one of the worst of the year (excluding the crap that's been on since then). Nothing big happened and nothing ever will.

I don't think there was one. She was just trying to create interest and get people to watch. If there really was a huge "surprise" then we would have seen it by now and know what it was because nothing even remotely interesting has happened, therefore I don't think there ever was a "surprise". If they advertise that a huge "surprise" is coming then people will tune in possibly to see what it was. It's not the nicest thing to do, but it gets people's attention. The least they could do is stay true to their words though and provide the "huge" surprise they kept talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back