• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What to do with Phelps?

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
As many of you may have heard, Olympic Swimming master Michael Phelps was photographed at the University of South Carolina smoking pot from a bong. While this isn't a penalty for the IOC which is the olympic governing body, it's not the first time Phelps has been in trouble. A few years back he was busted for a DUI. He's now been in legal trouble for alcohol and drugs. In light of this, should he lose some of his endorsement deals? I'm not sure.

This man owned the Olympics last summer and is easily one of the biggest stars in American sports in the last year. He's looked up to as a role model and as a representative of America. However, what he did is done by many people every day. Should he be punished for it? I'd have to say so. What he did is illegal and it's not his first offense. he doesn't get a free pass no matter how many medals he has around his neck. He's 23 years old and I can understand the pressure put on him, but this is twice now. That's too much.

Your thoughts?

As I said in a similar post in The Bar Room, unless there was an arresting officer on the premises who saw Phelps smoke, Phelps should not be arrested. However, if he had been caught smoking by a police officer, then, yes, he should be sentenced in a manner that is fitting to the crime (I am assuming a fine, community service and/or probation).

With respect to his endorsement deals, I don't see why he should lose them. His smoking marijuana should in no way call into question his athleticism, which is what his endorsement deals are primarily, if not wholly, based upon. The only time an athlete's endorsement deals should be taken away is when it can be proven that they have taken performance enhancing drugs, or, more generally, something that gives them an unfair advantage over their competition.

This is stupid.

First off; He didn't ask to be a role model, I hate that "It comes with the territory bullshit". Most of those guys are egotistical pricks who KNOW one should aspire to be. If you want to really want to argue that, they're NOT Moral Role Models. Athletic role models, yes, but not moral role models, so why the FUCK does anyone care what he does outside of the pool? Hop off his nuts.

Secondly; HOP OFF HIS NUTS!! You want to know why I bet he did it? Not only to chill and mellow out, but to probably ease stress from the bullshit he's put through. I mean, he's 23 and now he's made history. Imagine the pressure and EVERYTHING from being a guy like him? He wanted to win a gold, he never IMAGINED he'd win 8.

Third; Everyone and their grandmother's has dabbled in pot, some people still do. I don't see why people flip out about some big name smokin' pot when Johnny-no-body gets caught with a damn O and a bong and he just gets a slap on the wrist, some community service, and a fine.

They get MURDERED on the small shit, but let off on the big shit; the fuck kind of system is that? Is he a God? Is he really better then us? FUCK NO!!!! Why act as if he is?

Smoking pot may be illegal, and i'd agree if a cop saw him smoking or caught him with some weed in his possesion then he should be arrested for it. But this was a picture taken by some tabloid magazine, and now the sheriff in the town is saying he wants to arrest him?!

When it comes to "celebrity" it seems that theres two ends to the sword. Some would say that he shouldn't get away with what he's doing just because he's in the public eye and famous, and if no one does anything about his illegal smoking then it would be looked at as if they kinda just brushed it off because he won some medals.

On the other side of that sword, one could argue that his celebrity is the very reason that this sheriff is planning on coming down so hard on him and arresting him for an infraction that he only was able to bear witness to in a photograph. I honestly feel like in years past people with celebrity were given small slaps on the wrist for what they did, and now the law is trying to make up for that by going after any and all famous people that do even the smallest thing just to make an example out of it.

Is it right? No. But it's the way it is, and it is totally and completely Phelps fault for being in trouble as he did do something illegal. But at the same time put it in perspective.. this sheriff could be doing something better with his time, like stopping violent crime, real crimes that matter, but instead he wants to waste time and resources to get Phelps. And in the end what would it amount to anyway? A fine? It just doesn't seem worth all the trouble.

I never was a big pot smoker not because I thought it was wrong I just never got into it because I didnt care for the way I feel. With that said I dont think its that big of deal and I dont think it will have any effect on his endorsements. You got to remember this guy was busted for drinking and driving a few years ago while being underage and that didnt stop him from getting endorsements. Personally I think that is worse than a photo of you smoking out of a bong so if that didnt have an effect on him I dont think this will.

Just let him be & make everyone stop worrying about what the hell he does with his free time. He probably ain't the only athlete smoking weed & won't be the last. As far as that cop wanting to arrest him goes, he needs to just concentrate on fighting actual crimes instead of worrying about what celebrities & athletes do away from their respected careers.

Look, I'm not a pot smoker, nor am I an alcoholic drinker.. but that doesn't mean the rest of the world isn't. And as such, I'm not about to shun anyone who does it. It's their lives, whether they're famous, or otherwise.

I think this situation is being blown up because it's Michael Phelps. Forbid this was a conversation about a real problem person, like say someone with an addiction. The only reason he's getting in trouble, or is in the spotlight for being in trouble, is because of who he is.

People are going to lay claim on him being a role-model. But the fact is, he's just a regular 23 yr. old guy. He's not a role-model by choice. (unless I missed something) Everyone in the country labeled him such. And I don't wanna hear that shit about "Well, because he decided to follow in that profession, he instantly made himself one, whether he wanted to be or not."

Bullshit. I know plenty of high-profile people, owners of companies, etc, etc.. and they aren't altering their lives because of who they've become. People need to realize that this is just something that happens and move the fuck on.

It always cracks me up because they almost literally force a celeb to publicly apologize for being a failure or a bad influence. Then they read from a piece of paper about how sorry they were for doing it. NO THEY AREN'T.. if they were sorry, they wouldn't of done it in the first place.

Should he lose some endorsement deals? Only if they're regarding not doing pot or alcohol. As that's just gonna make that company, and Phelps, look stupid. But outside of that.. I heard he lost a deal with Nike.. why? You can't seriously tell me that everyone else they've signed to endorsement deals are on the straight and narrow.

I was watching Mike & Mike the other morning (Thursday, actually) regarding this. One of them said they felt he should be stripped of his gold medals. What the fuck for? A.) This issue took place well after the Olympics. B.) It had ZERO connection to the Olympics. So why on earth should a conversation like that even be taking place? Because he's a famous person now.. and people want to find reasons to blame him or punish him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back