• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What Should Ryder Do Next Week?

pepentorresHHH

Getting Noticed By Management
We all just saw Zack Ryder become the Smackdown General Manager for next week, we also saw Sheamus being "injured" by Del Rio using his car, so to make it realistic would you want to see ryder appoint himself the #1 contender for the night?

Im not saying he has to win, but the champion is somewhat vulnerable and from a personal perspective wouldnt it be realistic for Ryder to give himself the shot? thats what most of us would do if we were on that situation right?

Discuss....

Hmmmmm

Well on one hand that would make some sense since Mr. Ryder is now the GM of Smackdown and could easily make that match happen but I see two problems with it.

1. That would definitely be a heel move by Ryder, after witnessing Sheamus get destroyed by Del Rio. It just seems out of character for him.

2. Alberto Del Rio was named the #1 contender by the board if I recall correctlly and that would be a direct violation against there decision. Not that WWE cares that much about continuity but I'm just putting it out there.

What I see happening is for him to make all sorts of crazy matches and be more of a GM and less like a wrestler....maybe he could wear a suit 2! I really don't know what's going to happen next week should be fun!

PS Also Glad to see my bro Drew Mac on Smackdown!!!

That doesn't stay true to his character at all. Ryder is a fun loving face, not a punk bitch little heel. That's something that Miz, Jericho, Ziggler, or Del Rio would do.

It may seem logical to those who only put 2 seconds of effort into it, but the fact that he's a face states that it isn't logical.

Im not saying that he has to book himself like the MITB after Sheamus has already has a match and is tired but maybe coming at the start of the show, annoucing all the matches and what he has prepared for the night, then call out sheamus and challenge him to his face and book the match, since Sheamus is the kind of champion that takes on all comers and Ryder is coming to him with respect and asking for the shot i dont see how this could make Ryder look bad

Im not saying that he has to book himself like the MITB after Sheamus has already has a match and is tired but maybe coming at the start of the show, annoucing all the matches and what he has prepared for the night, then call out sheamus and challenge him to his face and book the match, since Sheamus is the kind of champion that takes on all comers and Ryder is coming to him with respect and asking for the shot i dont see how this could make Ryder look bad

We all just saw Zack Ryder become the Smackdown General Manager for next week, we also saw Sheamus being "injured" by Del Rio using his car, so to make it realistic would you want to see ryder appoint himself the #1 contender for the night?

Im not saying he has to win, but the champion is somewhat vulnerable and from a personal perspective wouldnt it be realistic for Ryder to give himself the shot? thats what most of us would do if we were on that situation right?

Discuss....

The bolded parts illustrate my point. You're insinuating that Ryder should take advantage of Sheamus' vulnerability and get a title shot. That's a heel tactic. Booking yourself into a title match against a vulnerable face or hell, a face at all for that matter is a heel tactic. There's nothing "respectable" about it.

Eve will get humilated in some way. Maybe she will even get put in a match. When she got the the bowl poured on her tonight I had completely forgotten for a few seconds that there was ever a backstory. There will be a lot of goofiness, maybe a chance to try to sell his merchandise.

I doubt he will put himself in a championship match. It is out of his character and I don't think it helps to promote MiTB.

There is no way in hell he should put himself in a World Heavyweight Championship match. As was previously said he is a babyface, and wrongfully putting himself in a World Heavyweight Championship match would be detrimental to him in the long-run (especially since he'd just get his ass kicked).

HOWEVER, he could probably get away with putting himself in a US Title match. Even though it's against another face in Santino, Zack Ryder never got his rematch after being screwed out of the title, and as such he can probably get away with that without losing his credibility as a babyface. Hell, he could even try and get himself in the "World Heavyweight Championship Contract Money In The Bank Ladder Match."

At the end of the day, we'll end up seeing him make Eve's life a living hell, some comedy-like stuff, maybe put Kane in an adverse situation, and if we're lucky he will try and get in the WHCCMITBLM or get a US Title match.

I can see what most are saying as to how that wouldn't be within Ryder's nature of his character, but I don't think it is really that heel of a move.

It will be a week removed from Sheamus getting attacked and announcing Ryder as GM. Have Ryder announce the match on his web show or online, since that is what he is all about. It's not like cashing in the MitB briefcase on someone, he is giving the champion plenty of notice, HE IS BASICALLY JUST ANNOUNCING HE WANTS A TITLE MATCH. If Sheamus is a fighting champ he should "beat his arse" anyways right??

Have a solid main event between them, Ryder comes up just a little short, they shake hands for the solid match and Sheamus raises Ryders arm! Baby Face points for Sheamus and Main Event Status points for Ryder.

I see a Win/Win/Win Here!

I can see Eve getting humiliated some more, and a lot of other comedy stuff. I could even see him giving himself a match to get into MITB, but I can't see him giving himself a world title match given that Sheamus was just attacked by ADR. It just wouldn't fit into his character at all. If Sheamus was 100 percent then maybe I could see a hard fought match between the two, but not under these circumstances.

I might like this ... like when Maven became the RAW GM and challenged HHH for the World Title. Yeah it can work, maybe Ryder challenges Sheamus but looses and could probably start a much needed Heel Turn to freshen up his Character. Heck we can see him reunite with Eve.

Zack Ryder is fun character but you can only do so much with him considering his gimmick and so many faces in the WWE. And if WWE was smart maybe a Cena vs. Ryder match would be a big money program.

Have to admit I was dead wrong about Zack being finished as a factor in WWE. When Raw played Long Island and Zack was left off the show, I figured his day in the sun was over. Now, not only does he win a battle royal, but it's an event in which top guys like Cena, Punk and Kane are participating.....which they normally don't.

Okay, so now what? Is this some kind of renewed push, or is it a one-night affair for Zack's Comedy Revue? As others have suggested in this thread, it seems unlikely Zack will use his power to push himself to the forefront. He's essentially been nowhere in the title picture since losing his feud with Kane and I haven't had the feeling Creative has anything of note coming up for him.

If I were to guess, I would think he might do something to embarrass Eve next week, given that their program together was suddenly abandoned. The fact that Eve has been taking it on the chin lately (from AJ and Teddy) fits in with Zack finally bringing some closure to their relationship.

After the program on which Zack functions as GM, I don't think his winning the battle royal is going to mean anything else for him. You can go only so far with stupid facial expressions and exaggerated gestures in the ring. (And isn't it interesting how Randy Orton's "punt" was banned, but Zack's wasn't?)

As others have already pointed out, this is something that goes completely against Zack Ryder's character, and babyface characters in general. It doesn't really make sense, so it's not going to happen. Besides, at this point in time, Ryder doesn't have enough credibility to be a viable opponent to Sheamus. Ryder is over as a fun loving, party going kind of face but nobody is going to be all that interested in seeing him get demolished by Sheamus. WWE could go the route of booking Ryder to look very strong in a match against Sheamus, while still losing, but, again, it doesn't make sense as it goes against everything they've done with Ryder. If they'd have started booking Ryder stronger over the course of the past 5 or 6 weeks before now, then I could at least see some degree of general interest in seeing Ryder vs. Sheamus next week just for the sake of seeing a good, competetive match.

If Ryder books himself into a match next week, it makes more sense to book one against Damien Sandow as the two of them seem to have something of a minor feud brewing. They had a confrontation last night at the backstage BBQ and Sandow cleanly pinned Ryder in about 2 minutes this past Friday to earn a spot in the WHC MITB match. I can see Ryder booking a match to try and even the score, and it'd work if they gave Sandow another victory over him. Sandow is a hot heel at the moment, he's in MITB and he'd be the one that really needed a win instead of giving the fans a "feel good" moment with Ryder scoring a win despite not being particularly relevant at this point.

Was going to make the point above, Maven did it, albeit against HHH.

Logically speaking, you can't just boil this down to 'faces don't do this', if anything, that's the short-sighted '2 seconds thought' plan.

Ryder can make the point of 'You once used an oppurtunity like this to keep hold of a title' as was the case in Sheamus' WWE title run when he was allowed to choose his opponent. Different Sheamus, sure, but it would be a nice bit of poetic justice for Ryder and fans wouldn't hold the past event against Sheamus.

Ryder's character as a face is still defined ultimately as guy who was held down and used his internet show to develop a following. As an archetype, it is something a heel traditionally might do (minus the internet, but Miz and Big Show are two current examples). His character therefore allows some dexterity in this situation, he can make the point that he is never given a chance any more and wants to at least prove he is as good as the champion, he can even say something like 'even if I don't beat you, I want to prove I'm not a joke'.

Personally, don't think it should happen, it is true the effect is undercut by Sheamus being a face. You can get (likely) the same effect by facing off against Del Rio and making the point that 'if I can beat you, I deserve to main event Money in the Bank, so let's have a match and if I win, it's a triple threat'.

Either way, he should/will lose, I don't think it's stupid to suggest he gives himself a title shot, fans wouldn't begrudge him it.

I stopped watching Z! a long time ago (watched from 1-35 iirc), but I still wanted Ryder to win above most of the guys in the ring (I was shouting for Kane to win as he's been great recently and I've like everything he's done in that time), shows like this have the potential to be a lot more fun than if say Cena or Big Show had won as every segment and set piece isn't trying to sell me a PPV.

I agree a lot with what "The Snake" above me is saying. Having Ryder call out Sheamus at the beginning of Smackdown! (or even on Z! as another poster pointed out) and then making the match a main event would give Sheamus enough "time" to get himself ready. Plus, if Ryder would do this, he would not bring up the fact that Sheamus was beat down last week. If anything, Alberto is going to end up beating up Sheamus on Raw again and that may serve a factor. Still, his beginning promo would not be, "Sheamus! I know you're injured and I want myself a title shot!" .. that would be dumb. It would be just like "The Snake" mentioned, "I've been held down for so long" etc. He can even mention that Sheamus does not have to take him up if he is not feeling well enough to compete (which of course Sheamus wouldn't back down from a fight).

Point being, there are a lot of ways Ryder can call out Sheamus and it not be heel. As for the match itself, I could see a really well wrestled match followed by ADR interference for a Ryder win. Only issue is that Ryder then has his face in the main event picture post this Smackdown! and i don't think that is the direction WWE and even myself would want to see at the moment with a returning Barrett and Orton.

As a sidenote since people are mentioning humiliating Eve (even though I know this thread is about the WHC), wouldn't it be funny for him to make Eve wrestle in the same half-pants half-tights that Ryder used to wear?

EDIT: I don't think I made myself clear, Del Rio could attack Ryder and/or Sheamus making the match DQ'd. I would not give Ryder the belt.

Ryder doing that would be the stupidest move in history.

1st off he would get a hole stomped into him and sheamus would walk it dry. Why? Ryder on his best day doesn't even equal a 10% sheamus.

2nd you have the fallout. Here is goes people flame ryder on his stupid youtube show and he loses 100 of his 200 fans. The after smackdown sheamus and Del Rio keep their feud until MITB. No matter what happens Ryder is no longer mentioned. People stop lobbying for his cause and before royal rumble Ryder is Future endeavored....Then resorts to TNA and joins Robbie E becoming the Jersey shore D-bags.

Oh wow I guess it does end well for everyone. WWE loses some dead weight and TNA gets some more.

I think the OP is trying very hard to think outside the box, but it is causing him to show he does not understand the product at all.

The only way Ryder could do this is to be heel. It is an extremely heel move to try to take advantage of a weak opponent and win the top title. IF Sheamus was an over heel it would make sense ... but to have a face take advantage of a hurt face is simply bad business.

They could do something like have Ryder have a discussion with Sheamus and get an agreement that after MITB if Sheamus is still champ he gives Ryder a shot. Something like that where he says he wants his shot, but does not want it cheap. That would work for both sides.

to lose? sorry but Ryder is not World Champ material at this time so why would he book himself a match where he is guaranteed to lose? that the trouble with booking him to win a battle royal like this - anyone would book themselves a title match but if he does, who honestly believes he has a chance? waste of an angle. could have just had them pull a name out of a hat and that would have at least been believable.

Ryder is too inexperienced to be a World Champion at the moment. Don't get me wrong I think he's a great wrestler however, so far the only major singles title he has one is the U.S. Championship. He needs to be in more of those title matches for now, then maybe later on in his career he'll be ready. But for me his time isn't now

Zack Ryder has won the 20 man battle royal to become the Interim General Manager of Smackdown next week.

What matches do you think he'll produce? What do you want him to achieve?

I think he will put himself either in a Money in the Bank qualification match, or have a no DQ match with Damien Sandow?

What do you think?

I think the OP is trying very hard to think outside the box, but it is causing him to show he does not understand the product at all.

The only way Ryder could do this is to be heel. It is an extremely heel move to try to take advantage of a weak opponent and win the top title. IF Sheamus was an over heel it would make sense ... but to have a face take advantage of a hurt face is simply bad business.

They could do something like have Ryder have a discussion with Sheamus and get an agreement that after MITB if Sheamus is still champ he gives Ryder a shot. Something like that where he says he wants his shot, but does not want it cheap. That would work for both sides.

You know, the same move Cena used against Rey Mysterio who had a match earlier the night and won the WWE Championship? Cena was face by the way.

I think this is a logical move every superstar would take, face or heel. If Sheamus is ready to go, says he's a fighting champion, and had a very competitive match with Ryder and Ryder loses would people complain? I doubt so. When Jeff Hardy almost won the title from Undertaker (who was a face too by the way) in a ladder match it made him much more popular than before.

Any wrestler made GM must surely give themselves a world title match. Ryder won't though, he's portrayed as an idiot.

I predict lots of lame Ryder catchphrases. Him booking matches based on being besmirched by individuals and a basic, run of the mill Smackdown.

I think it'll be mainly a case of getting even with people like Eve, Kane and Sandow from Zack. He never got a real "win" over Kane, so I could see some kind of handicap match where Kane gets beaten down as revenge. I could also see him making Eve mop floors and pay for her poor treatment of him. The match should be Sandow but I agree Zack should not go into MITB.

The other thing I can see happening is Santino dropping the US title on RAW and Zack booking himself to get it back on the night.

I don't see Zack fighting Sheamus next week unless it is the beginning of a heel turn for him. What I do see happening is him fighting Del Rio one on one. Maybe for to get back at Del Rio for what he did to Sheamus, or maybe for the #1 contendar spot at MITB against Sheamus. If this happens Del Rio will just make Ryder tap and Sheamus will probably run out after the match to get his hands on A.D.R.

I can see him also giving Eve a hard time, maybe putting her in a match against A.J.

He may also put himself in the WHC. MITB ladder match.

And he may just make some fun matches and take on Damien Sandow that night for his MITB spot.

The wondering of how he will conduct himself will be the reason why people will tune in to see this S.D.

One other thing I was thinking about is that maybe he will make a major announcement about Wrestlemania 29 next year. It's going to be in the shadow of his hometown, so maybe he will put out a challenge to someone for a match at Mania 29. I can see him trying to call out someone from Jersey Shore to have a match with him or to tag with him at Mania 29. He could create a tag match, maybe a 6 on 6 type match, called The Jersey Street Fight. He could start to assemble his team for then with a reach out to maybe "The Situation" to end up going against a team of heels lead by Dolph Ziggler. It could be Team Broski vs. Team Show-Off. Just an idea.

I'm surprised so many people think Ryder winning the battle royal actually gives him creative input to next week's SD. This gives him a chance to ACTUALLY be on camera for a show, bring closure to the Eve saga at her expense, and get a match. Sure, that's great for Ryder, considering the only place you could find him lately is on a milk carton.

If CREATIVE wants to do something with Ryder as the GM, I say use this as opportunity to FIND HIM A LEGITIMATE TAG PARTNER. He's over, but gets no air time. Pair him up with someone who needs time as well (Miz, I'm looking at you...) It seems they're wanting to put a little more time in the tag division, and I think Ryder will do anything to get where he was, albeit for a brief moment.

I think a feud with someone that is so over like Jericho, or even a returning Miz if he decides to stay heel, and Dolph or Swagger would work as well. or just bring up the whole beef with Kane, have Kane cost Ryder again and just have Ryder put his foot down and have him try to do something about it. At least I hope WWE gives him a chance to see if he is more than just an internet sensation and give him a real feud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back