• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What RAW Needs: Energy!

The Doctor

Great and Devious
Staff member
Super Moderator
So, as we all know, TNA and RAW went head-to-head on Monday. I started with RAW, but eventually switched to TNA and stayed there until the main event.

As I was pondering why earlier, I came to the realization that it's because TNA had one thing that RAW didn't: Energy!

Impact had an atmosphere of expectation surrounding it. No one knew exactly what was going to happen, so when things did, it was exciting.

This isn't another "Raw vs. Impact" thread, though. This is a thread to discuss ways to give that same atmosphere to RAW, which seemed to be resting on its laurels as it has done for a while now.

However, NXT is so far doing a good job of having Energy.

So, how do we get that to permeate RAW? I have a few ideas:

1. Better camera angles.
NXT and Impact both have tighter and more interesting camera angles that put you inside the ring. The angles need to be a lot more dynamic, instead of the default static positions we always see. NXT had a great one I had never seen until last night, where they seemed to shoot from Miz/Bryan's corner and pan slightly. Trying out new camera angles can really give a show a different, interesting feel.

2. More surprise matches.
Yeah, it's great that Vince McMahon and John Cena are facing off. But that is the only match that should have been advertised. The rest should have been shockers, to try and draw us in, make us want to see what could happen. The Orton/Legacy match could have had a good promo to sell it and then the match itself. RAW would have drawn ratings even if they hadn't announced the main event. Plus, the switching of the main event to a gauntlet match was interesting to me. Now, many people will disagree, but I feel RAW nearly captured some Energy in its main event. No one knew who was in the gauntlet match, I was wondering if Mark Henry would turn on Mr. McMahon, and when Kofi unexpectedly came out, I jumped forward in my seat. Other than that, RAW felt too put together.

3. Make the production values of slightly lesser quality.
I know that sounds crazy, but hear me out. One of the reasons Impact excited me was because you could actually hear the crowd noise. On RAW, the music or commentary drowns the crowd, and everything seems far too boxed in. Turn down the music, and break open that box! Remind us that we are watching a live event broadcast on TV, not just another TV show!

4. Change the card up a bit.
Right now, RAW seems to be booked:

Segment
Match
Segment
Match
Segment
Match
etc.

And that is every single week! It wouldn't hurt to mix it up a bit. In fact, it would make things much more fun to watch. Hasn't Smackdown vs. RAW 2007 GM Mode taught them anything? If you have things in the same positions on the card week after week, fans get bored.

These are a few suggestions I've had to try and give RAW a more exciting "feel" or atmosphere. There is still a lot to be done in terms of characters and wrestlers that audiences actually care about, but these are ways to start.

I completely here you on this one Doc. I remember back in the day when I'd tune in and the card would only have like 1 or 2 matches announced prior to the show. Nowadays you practically know the whole card before hand. I mean sure, that would help keep your viewers as well as anything else. But like you said, why not just announce maybe one match, and leave the rest undecided.

Lately, it all feels to blatantly obvious to me. Like you said, it's constantly segment followed by match , and so on and so on. A lot of the segments are now predictable too. Let's say you have wrestling A...for example the Miz, come to the ring in his trunks and cut a promo.....let's say wrestler B , also in trunks, comes down and interrupts, obviously we are going to get an " impromptu " match out of it.

I remember the air of mystery you are talking about, and honestly, I do miss it in the WWE. The only unpredictable moment on Raw was the main event becoming a gauntlet match and even once that started, you had to know Batista was coming out.

Change is good, and the WWE needs to realize this. Change the way you book the show, change the predicitability of everything.

Considering Impact got demolished in the "ratings war" this past monday, I do not see Raw needing anything right now. Impact desrves no comparison at this point and I do not believe they are competition.

I watched RAW and it was a pretty decent show. I know TNA is no threat to WWE but I watched Impact on YouTube and i gotta say it was a pretty solid show with everything put out there. Lots of great matches especially the X Division match just to point out. Main Event was really painful to watch with Flair and Hogan in the same ring. Overall I think Impact was the better show but to bad the ratings did not show it.

Considering Impact got demolished in the "ratings war" this past monday, I do not see Raw needing anything right now. Impact desrves no comparison at this point and I do not believe they are competition.

You're only allowed to say that if you've actually watched both. Either way, this was not about what RAW needs or needs not do, it's about RAW's level of energy (or lack thereof). Now shush, fanboy, the grown-ups are discussing.

Ahem.

Great thread, Doc, because it captured exactly what I was thinking when I watched RAW and then iMPACT consecutively (I download the shows as torrents, as I have no way of watching either show otherwise).

RAW has got it's steady rhythm, is extremely easy to follow (especially since they repeat the "key" segment(s) of the night about five to six times during the course of the show) and doesn't require much thought on the part of the beholder.

iMPACT on the other hand is a chaotic clusterfuck with dusty endings, intertwining angles, characters actually REACTING to stuff that happens (rather than doing the soap-opera stare-into-the-air-as-we-go-to-commercials thing) and tons of stuff going on at the same time.

Now, RAW, to its credit, manages to compartmentalize its feuds and angles really well, so there's never any doubt that when Vince and Hart are on-screen, that's what the whole show is about. When Orton's out there against Legacy, it's about them. But here's where things get stale, predictable and (therefore) boring. When you know that no one except Edge is going to interrupt Jericho's speech, because they are the guys involved in a feud, then things get TOO predictable. When Orton dukes it out with Legacy, you're pretty damn sure no one's going to interfere, because both members of Legacy are already out in the ring...

iMPACT is a lot harder to follow. Granted, this is not always a good thing, and in my view they are pushing the chaos a bit TOO far. Yes, unpredictability is good to a degree, but when you've no idea what the fuck is going on in a match because there are seven hundred interferences, or two referees (I'm looking at you Slick Johnson), or Desmond Wolfe randomly charging in and blasting people with a chair... well, then we go from "I wonder what will happen next?" to "What the hell is wrong with them?" While it's good to have unexpected things, it's also good to at least hint at WHY, so you have something to speculate about. Using chaos as an excuse to get the guys that didn't get a match into the ring is just bad booking, in my view.

But iMPACT has a lot more energy to it. It's not just about the acting (most people on iMPACT are very, very angry - which is the easiest emotion to portray) but also about the vibe you get. When EY jumped Waltman I went "holy shit, EY is stiffing him like hell, is there legit heat there?" as compared to when Batista hits a spear on Cena and all I can think is "wow, Cena really sold that one badly, jumping backwards like that...".

iMPACT did have its low-points however, such as the way-too-drawn-out segment after RVD pinned Sting. Seriously, ten minutes of Sting looking blank-faced and waiting for Hogan to limp down to the ring? Meanwhile, RAW did have slightly more energetic moments, such as when R-Truth and Morrison beat down ShoMiz to "prove a point".

All in all, iMPACT could do with a little less chaotic booking, but keep the emotion and vibe, while RAW could try to mix things up and make things a little more unpredictable and have the guys improvise more, so that they get a chance to showcase their emotional acting skills.

You're only allowed to say that if you've actually watched both. Either way, this was not about what RAW needs or needs not do, it's about RAW's level of energy (or lack thereof). Now shush, fanboy, the grown-ups are discussing.

:lol:Yeah, right, what an intelligent way to respond.

Considering the title of this thread is What Raw needs:Energy! makes your statment as stupid as you are arrogant.And no, you do not have to watch Impact and Raw to realize these guys are not competition.In the end, it is not what you (as a fan, behind your computer screen) feel is succesful that makes a show competitive, it is whether or not they can draw ratings. Something that you internet marks continue to over look. These are two companies competing for viewers, simple.

Raw does not aim for ample energy , providing too much energy for a show makes nothing stand out. You have to pace yourself.Which they do.

And, yes, I am a fan boy. Your pety little shots really do not bother me.

You see, this is such a terrible way of thinking. Of course TNA got destroyed. WWE is an internationally known name brand. TNA is just getting mainstream attention. It isn't about ratings at this point. It's about making small gains quarterly until they can do something special. As far as show quality went, I think TNA gave us an A show, while WWE countered with a B.

Now, Doc, this is a great post. I think the show had energy, but I am focusing on your camera angle and production ideas.

The camera angles for Impact and NXT bring you more into the action. You feel like you are at ring side, whereas with Raw, you feel like you are in the crowd. I think that bringing you closer to the action definitely helps get the show over.

As far as the arrangement of segments, you have to understand that the segments give time for the kayfabe loser to limp to the back. They have to go from a match to a segment.

I have to disagree with just about everything you have said except the paragraph about changing the card set up.

1. Better camera angles.
NXT and Impact both have tighter and more interesting camera angles that put you inside the ring. The angles need to be a lot more dynamic, instead of the default static positions we always see. NXT had a great one I had never seen until last night, where they seemed to shoot from Miz/Bryan's corner and pan slightly. Trying out new camera angles can really give a show a different, interesting feel.

Personally I always liked RAW's camera angles and disliked NXT's and TNA's. NXT sometimes is good but it just overall feels different and not right. But I'm not against trying different angles I just don't think to do them during a a show for the first time is ok. TNA I just laugh sometimes, although they have gotten better since Bischoff has arrived they used to miss crucial spots left and right.

2. More surprise matches.
Yeah, it's great that Vince McMahon and John Cena are facing off. But that is the only match that should have been advertised. The rest should have been shockers, to try and draw us in, make us want to see what could happen. The Orton/Legacy match could have had a good promo to sell it and then the match itself. RAW would have drawn ratings even if they hadn't announced the main event. Plus, the switching of the main event to a gauntlet match was interesting to me. Now, many people will disagree, but I feel RAW nearly captured some Energy in its main event. No one knew who was in the gauntlet match, I was wondering if Mark Henry would turn on Mr. McMahon, and when Kofi unexpectedly came out, I jumped forward in my seat. Other than that, RAW felt too put together.

I don't fully disagree here but I don't agree. It really all depends on the match and how many matches you are having that night. I think at least you should have the "main event" advertised in someway, not saying you can't have that changed during the show, but you need something to draw in people. Like next week I was happy and excited to see them advertise the WM rewind matches HHH/Orton ok...Cena/Big Show meh but HBK/Jericho...yea thats something I want to see.

3. Make the production values of slightly lesser quality.
I know that sounds crazy, but hear me out. One of the reasons Impact excited me was because you could actually hear the crowd noise. On RAW, the music or commentary drowns the crowd, and everything seems far too boxed in. Turn down the music, and break open that box! Remind us that we are watching a live event broadcast on TV, not just another TV show!

I'm not sure how much this is them pumping up the volume on the sounds or the crowd just not really into the shows. If I watch Impact I wish most of the time I could just mute the crowd because most of the time they are too busy in trying to almost get themselves over and actually cheer/boo when it should happen. Chanting "You Still Got It" to Jim Neidhart is not a good thing at all. And like I said before TNA used to miss spots and it gets really annoying.

You see, this is such a terrible way of thinking. Of course TNA got destroyed. WWE is an internationally known name brand. TNA is just getting mainstream attention. It isn't about ratings at this point. It's about making small gains quarterly until they can do something special. As far as show quality went, I think TNA gave us an A show, while WWE countered with a B.

Now, Doc, this is a great post. I think the show had energy, but I am focusing on your camera angle and production ideas.

The camera angles for Impact and NXT bring you more into the action. You feel like you are at ring side, whereas with Raw, you feel like you are in the crowd. I think that bringing you closer to the action definitely helps get the show over.

As far as the arrangement of segments, you have to understand that the segments give time for the kayfabe loser to limp to the back. They have to go from a match to a segment.

I will admit it, I was actually going for a cheap TNA shot , but you guys took it too seroiusly.

I do think that closer camera angles would help make it seem more intense. The only problem I see here is that it might expose some of the guys calling their spots if the cameras are too close.

:lol:Yeah, right, what an intelligent way to respond.

Considering the title of this thread is What Raw needs:Energy! makes your statment as stupid as you are arrogant.And no, you do not have to watch Impact and Raw to realize these guys are not competition.In the end, it is not what you (as a fan, behind your computer screen) feel is succesful that makes a show competitive, it is whether or not they can draw ratings. Something that you internet marks continue to over look. These are two companies competing for viewers, simple.

Raw does not aim for ample energy , providing too much energy for a show makes nothing stand out. You have to pace yourself.Which they do.

And, yes, I am a fan boy. Your pety little shots really do not bother me.

:disappointed:

And if you actually read Doc's post instead of jumping to a conclusion based on the thread title alone, you'd realize you're wrong.

You do have to watch RAW and iMPACT to have a basis of comparison. You can compare life on the Moon with life on Earth all you want, but if you haven't experienced life on the Moon, you're pulling your opinion out of your ass. If you haven't watched iMPACT, you can not see the difference, and therefore any point you try to make will be void, since you have no basis of comparison. See, if you're only eating carrots, and that's all you've eaten for pretty much all your life, then you can't really say that carrots are superior to, say, cucumbers. Because you've never tried them.

I also did not try to convince anyone in the WWE to change their programming (or, indeed, in TNA); I put forward my opinion, because that is what we usually do in a DISCUSSION FORUM. However, you are inherently wrong in your statement. What I, as a fan, think is good and bad is what ultimately decides what the company puts on TV. Not I, personally, obviously, but when opinions can be aired and discussed (however briefly), they gain foothold in the consciousness of the fans and therefore affects, ultimately, what is put on TV. If either WWE or TNA programming ever stops entertaining me, I will stop watching and they will lose a fan (and an advocate, a viewer and potential customer). So it IS in their interest to try and attract me, as a fan.

You they've obviously already got by the balls, so no need to try to please you, you'll merrily slurp the kool-aid all day long.

I also agree wtih you that RAW doesn't put out ample energy. In fact, they barely produce energy to light a fairly small light-bulb. That is why I would appreciate the show more if there was a bit more energy to it. Pacing IS good, which is what I criticized TNA for, but obviously you're not literate enough to read past the first paragraph (which, I guess, makes me writing this pretty pointless).

Anyway, us "Internet marks" (you're one of them, by the by, as defined by you posting on and reading these forums - speaking of arrogance...) will happily keep trying to discuss what we like and don't like, and disregard comments such as "things are fine, no need to change" since such comments serve no purpose other than STOPPING discussion on all levels.

Anyway, sorry Doc :)blush:) for kinda derailing the thread a bit, I'll try to add something to make up for lost database space:

About "more surprise matches"... you've definitely got a point there; it brings to mind Armageddon ... was it 2004? When Benoit came out as a surprise opponent to face William Regal in what was one of the best matches of the night (this was the night that poor Mercury's face exploded from the ladder-shot). The crowd went apeshit and the match got so much better because it wasn't expected and it was a "Hell yes!" moment. Those have been missing lately from RAW, though I have been pleasantly surprised at some of the larger PPVs.

When I watch wrestling, I'm fine with just the run-of-the-mill stuff for the most part, but sometimes I want to get goosebumps. I want to get chills down the spine, and mark the fuck out for something (Edge cashing in on Cena after the EC comes to mind). Now, granted, they can't have this every week or it will soon be same ole, same ole, but they can try to change this up - especially with the mid-card.

How long has it been since there was a surprising mid-card angle? I mean, with some twists and turns, rather than Wrestler A gets a pin on Wrestler B in a tag-match, Wrestler B gets to challenge Wrestler A for the PPV, they have a couple of matches and then Wrestler B and Wrestler A face off. It's very, very formulaic and offer few twists. That's where they could change things up the most, I feel, because they can risk the feuds in another way than they can with the main event.

Then again, RAW and SD! alike are, what, 75% about the main eventers?

EDIT:

I will admit it, I was actually going for a cheap TNA shot , but you guys took it too seroiusly.

I do think that closer camera angles would help make it seem more intense. The only problem I see here is that it might expose some of the guys calling their spots if the cameras are too close.

Aw, man, stick to your guns, that was some grade A swashbucklin' going on ;)

Anyway, you make a good point with the spot-calling. It's very noticable on iMPACT for some of the guys (like Ric Flair shouting out spots to a deaf Hogan, which meant that people out by Disneyland probably heard him)...

I agree. Raw needs energy. I went back and watched a RAW from July 1997 the other night, to see how it compared to this week's show. The major thing missing was ENERGY. Even in the early days of the attitude era, RAW still had a certain unpredictability about it. There was an energy....a passion from the crowd....a passion from the performers. At any moment, the whole face of the company could change. It wasn't just Stone Cold and Brett Hart who were holding my interest in 97 either. The whole roster was working their ass off.

Hell, even the promo's were entertaining in 97. These days, when I see John Cena get on the stick, I know I've got 20 mins to get a drink and make a sandwich before anything happens. Every face talks exactly the same. Every heel does the same stupid smug pose on the ramp. It's all cookie cutter and generic. Would it be so hard to mix it up? Me and my friends will sit around watching wrestling and in 20 mins we'll have storyline ideas and character progressions for the entire roster. Why is it that people who are being PAID to do this FOR A LIVING, can only write for about 4 guys? There is no character progression in WWE at all. They drop the ball ALL the time. I know LESS about Kofi Kingston now than I did before his feud with Orton started. How is that possible? NO CHARACTER PROGRESSION.

Take the Miz for example. His ring work leaves much to be desired (although he's improved in spades), but DAMN that guy has been building a character on RAW over the last few months that makes me HATE him. Now THAT'S AWESOME. He's making us get emotionally invested in him. We want to see his ass get kicked every week. That's why he draws big heat. It's as simple as this: Your not going to cheer or boo a guy you don't know and care nothing about. I think WWE needs more writers working within the company that are actual wrestling fans, not TV writers. They need people that grew up with the business (but aren't wrestlers) and already know what it's about. Raw is not the place for "on site training." The writing staff for WWE should have a vast knowledge of wrestling history and storytelling before they are even hired.

I've been a fan since 1995. Over the last few years I've noticed wrestling becoming more and more predictable. I thought that it was me. I figured I had just seen it all and nothing could surprise me anymore. Watching TNA and old episodes of RAW, I've noticed that I was wrong. I haven't changed. WWE has lost the magic. They need their energy back.

Raw should mix it up a little as it comes to show production, but I think the energy level is there, especially as it gets closer to Wrestlemania.

Raw is getting better as of late, and my only real problem with the show is the lack of use of some of its midcard stars but that isn't changing on Monday Night Raw.

They are doing a fine job right now, and I am fine with the camera angles and production of the show, as Raw doesn't need change.

I would hate to see WWE lessen their production, it's always been one of my favorite things about the company and I think many would agree that it's one major advantage that they have over TNA. The pyros, highlight packages, holding the shows in big arenas, all that stuff just gets me pumped as hell to watch a show. It would be nice if the crowds themselves would start getting into the shows instead of just sitting on their asses like they're watching from home, but for some reason WWE crowds just aren't what they used to be. The camera angles idea is sort of intriguing, but I think it should probably stay on a show like NXT that needs unique stuff like that to distance itself and create its own identity separate from Raw and SmackDown. I also highly doubt that not advertising stuff would have much of a positive effect, you want the fans to tune in for those matches instead of just blindly wondering whether a show will have anything interesting on it or not.

I still think RAW has alot of energy to it maybe its me but I still enjoy watching it Every Monday. Ive been a Fan since 1990/1991 and I believe WWE still has the "magic" as someone termed earlier. No it can't be like it was in the Attitude Era but not everything can be the same year in and year out,you have to change with the times. RAW still has the It feeling to me because its Live every week and the Production of it is the best.

I don't get that feeling if im watching Impact. Maybe its their Production,the Announcers (nothing against Mike Tenay but I liked him better in WCW) or the Crowd. The Crowd to me during Impact just seem to want to get themselves over with all their little Chants.

What makes the WWE alot better over TNA is the fact that they have RAW,Smackdown,and the PPVs in the Big Cities and the Big Arenas. It just makes the Events seem important. WCW did the same thing which made them a sucess as well.

Yes Raw does need more energy, I enjoy the show, really I do. However it does seem to be a bit boring if you will. Where as while TNA can never truly compete with the WWE, they do offer a more exciting program. So if Raw could spruce things up a bit, that would be awesome and I am sure they would see their ratings rise a little more.

I do agree with the camera angles, Raw's angles are almost generic, like it was said, it feels like you are in the crowd, where as in TNA you feel like you are a part of the action. Raw needs to go back to the attitude era way of shooting the action. That was in your face, up, close and personal.

As far as show structure, I think I agree with you and disagree with you. While it would be nice to not have segment, match, segment, match, etc... every week as 48 said, they have to do something to prepare for the next match. However I think perhaps they could do more crowd entertainment things or announcer discussion as well, instead of always doing a backstage segment.

I would also like to be surprised every once in a while about the card as well. WWE's line of thinking seems to be, if we don't tell them ALL the matches, then they won't watch. I don't agree with that, I'll still watch because I love RAW. So they do need to stop listing all the matches, maybe just a few, as you said Doc, surprise us, that'd be nice.

Raw when it gets overhauled, they seem to only change the opening package, the theme and stage, instead of woking on the core things that build the show. If they did an all re-vamp of the entire show, that would be a good thing. Great thread Doc.

With nearly everybidy on this site being hardcore fans of the product we call wrestling having the internet spoilers and all and having watched like at least 10years worth of wrestling it eventially becomes predictable but yeh i agree when RVD debuted i forgot they were in the impact zone because it had that awesome feel to it.
RAW i think needs to change up how they do things for example having a huge main event feel match announced straight off the bat to give it that anything can happen feel

(this is my first post, so dont hate if i suck)

I think raw needs energyx1000!!! every time i watch/read spoilers of raw (so predictible ive given up watching) i no down 2 every little detail wats going 2 happen when a certain WWE superstar enters the ring.

John Cena=Batistia comes out and attacks him
Randy Orton= Legacy will come out and attack him. Cm Punk= comes out a cuts a sweet promo, etc, etc, etc.

I know this is done 2 move storylines along, especially with Wrestlemania looming, but would it kill WWE to mix it up a little? At least enough so that Big Show doesnt win every match he is in with a KO punch? plez?

I think WWE as a whole needs MUCH more energy, but Raw is by far the worst, Smackdown and NXT are good shows in my opinion.

I think the only thing WWE needs to do is after the Rock comes in around Juneish, I have heard he plans on having a longterm role in the show, which would eliminate the guest host. That is what kills the energy. You could lets say have Miz come out and cut a promo and ends up getting put in a match later against lets say Christian. The promo gets people talking as does the match, then out comes the guest host/camera goes to the back where the guest host is doing some shennannigans and the crowd in the arena and at home zone out, then you come back to in ring action and the momentum you had from an awesome promo segment is now gone. They need to have a snowball effect on their shows, get the guest host shit out of the way early(unless it is a Stone Cold/Bret Hart/Rock/Ventura type of person who has been in the business and could keep viewers watching them or contribute something to the product besides a celebrity name).
As for the Impact Zone having the crowd energy, I agree with the poster that said they are just tyring to get themselves over on tv. The AJ/Hardy match comes to mind. The casual fans were shouting "lets go hardy" to which the "smart fans" in the crowd shouted "lets go aj". The chants for AJ came across on my tv louder than the hardy chants which was obviously not in TNAs plan because Tazz/Tenay acknowledged the crowd being 100% behind hardy, which was obviously a lie. lol..Gotta love Flair shouting the spots out to Hogan as well. That was priceless. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back