• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What makes a "True" wrestling fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shotlycrue

No excuses, play like a champion
This is my first thread so bear w/ me.

I've been contemplating this for awhile after seeing many people in the IWC complaining, specifically Cena haters, that Cena and young kids are ruining wrestling for the "true" fans. I've never understood this. What makes 20 and 30 somethings true fans and young kids not true fans?

Kids under the age of 13 often look at pro wrestling w/ the wide-eyed amazement that I used to. They often times believe that what they are seeing in the ring and backstage is real and cheer w/ their whole being for their favorites to win. If that doesn't make a true fan I don't know what does.

My questions are:

1) What makes a true wrestling fan?

2) Why do "smarks" see themselves as a more worthy target demographic then young kids?

Well being 13 myself, around 5th-6th Grade (going to 8th the end of summer) I started to experience that point in time where I started learning the true nature of wrestling and what it was really about. Really what makes a true wrestling fan is a love and dedication of it and a through knowledge of it and willing to broaden your horizons.

Smarks see themselves as a better demographic because they feel they have more experience and knowledge because most of them are older.

A true wrestling fan is a fan who enjoys the business. Nothing more, nothing less. If you like it, you are a fan. There are different types of fans, and fans that differ in the amount of consumption wrestling has on them. All those factors are irrelevant, because if you religiously watch something and genuinely like it, you are a true fan. Doesn't matter what age you are, what class of fan you are, if you like the business you are a "real" fan giving money to the business you enjoy.

Smarks think they're real fans because they are more consumed with the business; they invest more of their time with it. Doesn't mean that little children can't also enjoy the product. To me, they are still fans.

I think there's a quite simple way to determine a true wreslting fan using two easily answered questions.

1) Do you like wrestling?

2) Honestly?

If the answer to both those questions is yes, then the person truely is a wreslting fan.

Seriously though, there's no universal litmus test to determine whether a person is a true fan or not. Especially not using a singular wrestler. To claim that liking him is only possible to "true fans" is a load of elitist bullshit. People never agree on everything, and the IWC is no exception.

A true fan is anyone who enjoys watching wrestling. It doesn’t matter if they haven’t been watching very long. It doesn’t matter if they cheer good guys and boo the bad guys because they’re supposed to. It doesn’t matter if they don’t have any knowledge of the product beyond what they see on tv. They don’t need to be a member of a wrestling forum and discuss wrestling daily. It’s ok if they only think about wrestling while they’re watching it and it’s even ok if they don’t catch every show. If someone says they’re and fan then they’re a fan. It’s as simple as that.

There are plenty of smarks in the IWC who have an elitist attitude and think that because wrestling is a bigger part of their lives than most other people they are better than others. Just because one fan knows Triple H’s name is Paul and another doesn’t think of him as anything besides the Game doesn’t make one better than the other. One thing I’ve learned watching with casual fans is they don’t like having a bunch of knowledge thrown in their face while trying to enjoy the show. It’s a turnoff and makes it less likely that they’ll continue to watch. Whether we eat breath and sleep wrestling and discuss it daily with strangers on the internet or just catch it on Monday night and don’t think about it again until the next week, we’re all fans of wrestling.

Why do "smarks" see themselves as a more worthy target demographic then young kids?
Typical elitist BS. It's also a really typical human ego thing. People loooove to see themselves as better then others because of.... whatever reason they have to make them special.

I wouldn't say smarks are wrestling fans. They are wrestling fanboys in my opinion. I really think that the whole notion of a "true" wrestling fan being in a certain way is completely stupid. If you like wrestling, you are a fan. That simple.

My questions are:

2) Why do "smarks" see themselves as a more worthy target demographic then young kids?

1. According to the internet wrestling community, you must like all the heels. Also, you must want matches to include high spots. And, of course, you have to like wrestling that have been denied a chance in the main event in their career thus far, making them worthy.

When in reality, it's like any other sport. You're simply a fan of the action. Some of the stuff you like, some of the stuff you don't. You enjoy letting it get to you from time to time and you like to see what you can predict and enjoy getting shocked by it occasionally. Just like any other sport.

2. Because most audiences feel that what demo they fit into is most worthy. Women think they are most worthy because they are at home more. So, television should cater to them. Men think that since they are at work more, they should get to come home and relax to television that caters to them.

(For the record, I'm not saying all women stay home and all men work. I'm using these generalizations as examples.)

The fact of the matter is that most great television and movies cater to all demographics while still keeping the core product true. Wrestling can go too far in one way or another, but the balance is usually what ends up winning out in the end.

There are a lot of "almost" explanations, but very few accurate ones.

A true wrestling fan is someone who likes wrestling, yes, but is also willing to support wrestling. A true fan does not stream PPVs, does not download shows, does not pirate music CDs, etc. A true fan goes to wrestling shows to be a part of the show (not above it, like so many "smarks" do), and a true fan is never embarrassed by the fact he/she is a true fan. Does a true fan have to buy PPVs, DVDs, etc? Not necessarily, but they aren't going to steal them either.

At the end of the day, a true wrestling fan not only likes wrestling, they support it as well.

There are a lot of "almost" explanations, but very few accurate ones.

A true wrestling fan is someone who likes wrestling, yes, but is also willing to support wrestling. A true fan does not stream PPVs, does not download shows, does not pirate music CDs, etc. A true fan goes to wrestling shows to be a part of the show (not above it, like so many "smarks" do), and a true fan is never embarrassed by the fact he/she is a true fan. Does a true fan have to buy PPVs, DVDs, etc? Not necessarily, but they aren't going to steal them either.

At the end of the day, a true wrestling fan not only likes wrestling, they support it as well.

Well we support it just by wtaching it. Also streaming PPVs and downloading such? You can't blame the viewers. Not everyone has the money to pay $50 for a PPV especially when they no it may suck. And you can't always blame everyone for being embarassed they're a wrestlingfan. some people are.

Well we support it just by wtaching it. Also streaming PPVs and downloading such? You can't blame the viewers. Not everyone has the money to pay $50 for a PPV especially when they no it may suck. And you can't always blame everyone for being embarassed they're a wrestlingfan. some people are.

Then those people are not true wrestling fans. How are you a true wrestling fan by stealing something the company paid money for? You don't think WWE Wrestlemania is free to produce, do you? Between production values, camera men, audio men, pyrotechnics, set builders, materials, etc...the WWE spends a fortune to produce a show like Wrestlemania, and a ton of money at every PPV. They deserve your money, or at the very least, if you're not going to pay, then you shouldn't steal from them.

There is no justification for theft. If you don't have $55, you don't watch the show. It's that simple. If you really really really REALLY REALLY want to watch Wrestlemania, then you find the $55 to buy the show, and you don't spend it on other things.

I'm sorry, but you made a very stupid argument. "I support my local McDonalds by stealing cheeseburgers". That argument doesn't work for McDonalds, and it doesn't work for pro wrestling.

And why would a true fan of wrestling being embarrassed by it? What's embarrassing about pro wrestling? It's just a male soap opera, that's all. Is it "fake"? Well, sure it is, just like 95% of shows on television. There's no reason to be embarrassed of being a wrestling fan. A true wrestling fan is not embarrassed to be known as one.

Then those people are not true wrestling fans. How are you a true wrestling fan by stealing something the company paid money for? You don't think WWE Wrestlemania is free to produce, do you? Between production values, camera men, audio men, pyrotechnics, set builders, materials, etc...the WWE spends a fortune to produce a show like Wrestlemania, and a ton of money at every PPV. They deserve your money, or at the very least, if you're not going to pay, then you shouldn't steal from them.

There is no justification for theft. If you don't have $55, you don't watch the show. It's that simple. If you really really really REALLY REALLY want to watch Wrestlemania, then you find the $55 to buy the show, and you don't spend it on other things.

I'm sorry, but you made a very stupid argument. "I support my local McDonalds by stealing cheeseburgers". That argument doesn't work for McDonalds, and it doesn't work for pro wrestling.

And why would a true fan of wrestling being embarrassed by it? What's embarrassing about pro wrestling? It's just a male soap opera, that's all. Is it "fake"? Well, sure it is, just like 95% of shows on television. There's no reason to be embarrassed of being a wrestling fan. A true wrestling fan is not embarrassed to be known as one.

Well a fan is simply someone who likes something and is willing to watch it. Not everyone can affrod $55 for ppvs every motnh especially when you're a fan of multiple promotions. Its not always the viewers faults, They can be a fan even without having to pay. They're obviously a fan if they're still willing to stream.

And why would a fan of wrestling be embarassed? For ksome people alot of their friends don't watch wrestling ro watch sports that are real. To publicly say you like wrestling could be embarassing for somepeople especially that its considered a "male soap opera", You make a good point it's fake like most shows on TV but people mostly naked fighting over a fake belt thats "given" to them would be embarassing.

Well a fan is simply someone who likes something and is willing to watch it.
No, not really.

Not everyone can affrod $55 for ppvs every motnh especially when you're a fan of multiple promotions.
Then you don't fucking watch them. Haven't we already covered this?

Its not always the viewers faults
It's not their fault if they don't have the money, but it IS their fault if they're stealing the show for free.

They can be a fan even without having to pay.
No they can't. If the WWE gave a show away for free, then sure, that's fine. But if the WWE put a lot of money into a show, expecting people to pay to partake in it, then you cannot call yourself a fan if you steal it. You call yourself a thief.

They're obviously a fan if they're still willing to stream.
No, they are a thief, there is a difference.

I don't watch PPVs. I can't afford them. I wait until Raw comes on the next day to find out what happens, unless it's being discussed on here, at which point it's just an unfortunate circumstance that I find out. But I still watch Raw anyways.

I consider myself a true fan, or damn close to it. I'm someone who supports the show when they are in town and I can go, I paid for Wrestlemania this year because I wanted to watch it, I never download DVDs, or distribute them for free, and I don't steal from the company. That's a true fan.

And why would a fan of wrestling be embarassed? For ksome people alot of their friends don't watch wrestling ro watch sports that are real. To publicly say you like wrestling could be embarassing for somepeople especially that its considered a "male soap opera", You make a good point it's fake like most shows on TV but people mostly naked fighting over a fake belt thats "given" to them would be embarassing.
It shouldn't be, there is nothing embarrassing about pro wrestling, not anymore. 20 years ago? Okay, I could understand, as wrestling was still trying to tell people it was real. But they don't do that anymore. Everyone knows it's not real, and they don't try to hide it. At this point, pro wrestling is just another form of entertainment. You should be no more embarrassed to watch pro wrestling than you should be to watch Survivor. In fact, in my opinion, I think MUCH less of people who watch Survivor than those who watch pro wrestling.

No, not really.

Then you don't fucking watch them. Haven't we already covered this?

It's not their fault if they don't have the money, but it IS their fault if they're stealing the show for free.

No they can't. If the WWE gave a show away for free, then sure, that's fine. But if the WWE put a lot of money into a show, expecting people to pay to partake in it, then you cannot call yourself a fan if you steal it. You call yourself a thief.

No, they are a thief, there is a difference.

I don't watch PPVs. I can't afford them. I wait until Raw comes on the next day to find out what happens, unless it's being discussed on here, at which point it's just an unfortunate circumstance that I find out. But I still watch Raw anyways.

I consider myself a true fan, or damn close to it. I'm someone who supports the show when they are in town and I can go, I paid for Wrestlemania this year because I wanted to watch it, I never download DVDs, or distribute them for free, and I don't steal from the company. That's a true fan.

It shouldn't be, there is nothing embarrassing about pro wrestling, not anymore. 20 years ago? Okay, I could understand, as wrestling was still trying to tell people it was real. But they don't do that anymore. Everyone knows it's not real, and they don't try to hide it. At this point, pro wrestling is just another form of entertainment. You should be no more embarrassed to watch pro wrestling than you should be to watch Survivor. In fact, in my opinion, I think MUCH less of people who watch Survivor than those who watch pro wrestling.

Note: I hope this debate doesn't bring any tension or bad blood between us.

Well you can be a fan of a wrestler even if you don't buy his merchandise, A fan is just someone who likes something and enjoys it to a point they're willing to go back and watch it.

I understand your point that its thievery but just remember that streaming is still new. The majority of people in the real world don't know much about especially the current kids in WWE's audience, so wrestling companies are still making a profit.

And with pro wrestling I don't think its embarassing to be a fan of its jsut embarassing to really go around saying to your friends your a fan. Now that pro wrestling is a norm, and people are growing older some people don't take it seriously anymore as entertainment. Hell I even have older sisters that whenevr I watch Impact they say things like "you still watch this lame stuff?"

What makes a true wrestling fan is someone who watches it out of their own enjoyment, not to be a part of the crowd like during the Hulkamania or Attitude eras. True fans watch it even when others think it sucks. The early 90's, the current product, or even wrestling from before Hogan made it more mainstream. True wrestling fans watch wrestling because they want to watch it out of enjoying a product they themselves like. Many smarks grew up as true fans but do not care for the current product then started to heavily criticise it, read up on rumors online and post their opinions on forums like ours, turning them into smarks. They see themselves as a more worthy target market due to them having stuck around with the product for years, whereas young kids do not know the history of wrestling the way older fans do, and do not appreciate the product nearly as much. They just want to go to shows to see Cena, Orton, or whatever other face they like.

I believe a true wrestling fan is just someone who watches wrestling. It seems like certain divisions believe themselves to be superior to the others. When I was a casual TV (mark) fan I loved wrestling. When I became a smark I still loved wrestling. I see some of these guys who know everyone in the indys, or know wrestling history since the 50's and 60's and think of themselves as more loving fans than me...and I believe them to be wrong. As long as someone if willing to call themselves a fan, then they are a fan, plain and simple.

Smarks feel they are a better target than little kids because they have an actual passion for the business. They've been watching for years and will continue to watch for many more years. Kids, on the other hand, only like WWE because children are impressionable. Anything over the top gets them going. Just like children (well some lol) eventually outgrow their childhood favorites like cartoons and action figures, they will also outgrow the WWE. Vince thinks hes making diehard fans by targeting the kids at a younger age but I believe most of us who are a little older arent frequent viewers of Barney or Scooby Doo just because we started watching those shows at a young age. Theres a 50/50 chace that the kids will continue to buy ppvs and merch after they grow up. Smarks, however, will continue to support WWE regardless of how many years pass. Their fandom depends on the content of the product, not when they started watching. And judging by today's society (well at least here in the US), it is shamefull to be a frequent fan of anything other than rap music or real sports like MMA or basketball.

A true wrestling fan watches wrestling and attends wrestling matches even when it's not cool and hip to do so, still reads wrestling magazines and periodicals, watches it on TV no matter how obscure the promotion, will back hand anyone who insults or mocks them and will serve their jail time with a smile on their face thinking yep but at least I'll be able to eat solid food, and finally will never ditch it for the current fad sport UFC MMA ect.

Anyone who watches and likes wrestling is a fan if you ask me

Don't need to be a smark or crazed collector or anything imo

As for why do smarks feel more entitled or whatever you asked. Its kinda like if somebody studied law and politics on their own. Don't they have the right to then be more opinionated on the subject and feel more right about it than someone who knows nothing and spouts unbased BS?

Oh and thats a load of shit , of course the kids are real fans. They love this stuff as much or more than we even do!

And judging by today's society (well at least here in the US), it is shamefull to be a frequent fan of anything other than rap music or real sports like MMA or basketball.

Erm......... what the hell? Find new friends or something. I've encountered people like that but thats kinda crazy to generalize a whole countrys people that way.

Anyone who judges people for that needs to get with the times , we live in a liberal society now.

Anyone who is actually scared off from Wrestling or anything else by those people need to grow a pair , and be themself no matter what some douche might say.

-----------------------

Also on the debate of streaming/stealing PPVS. Well.... if you do that its in horrible quality and is technically the wrong thing to do. I wouldn't say someones a non fan if they streamed a PPV because they were too broke then I would think that actually means that they are such an insane fan that they would do anything to see the PPV , even watch it in horrible quality and outside of the law............

BUT those guys should totally buy worthwhile PPVS when/if money allows for it. If they had the money and weren't paying well thats just ridiculous and then by all means go ahead and call them shitheads and all of that. But sometimes some people are so insanely broke that theres just no way , and what if it was some highly interesting PPV and they just couldn't afford it but couldn't afford to miss it? They pay no money but they pay the price of shit quality and the price of risk if it makes you feel any better

Personally I just skip PPVS except WM/BFG and then anything else that stands out to me. Destination X & MITB are gonna be buys from me for sure , I also paid for all those Nexus/Wade Barrett PPVs last year , and Lockdown recently w/ TNA

The ones I skip I just check here at the site or wwes site for results , because if I didn't pay for it I'm not all that interested in it the 1st place

This is my first thread so bear w/ me.

I've been contemplating this for awhile after seeing many people in the IWC complaining, specifically Cena haters, that Cena and young kids are ruining wrestling for the "true" fans. I've never understood this. What makes 20 and 30 somethings true fans and young kids not true fans?

Kids under the age of 13 often look at pro wrestling w/ the wide-eyed amazement that I used to. They often times believe that what they are seeing in the ring and backstage is real and cheer w/ their whole being for their favorites to win. If that doesn't make a true fan I don't know what does.

My questions are:

I think that much of the complaining about kids is that for over a decade the WWe themselves aimed their product at the young male adult demographic. Since the move to PG, said demo feels slighted and, to be fair, they have a case. The initial promo by the Rock actually touched on the differences between then and now and CM Punk's 'shoot' last Monday has taken it that little bit further.

Are kids 'true' fans? I say yes. Would the Monday Night War period have been as remotely successful if it wasn't for Hulkamania and the kiddies who were saying their prayers and eating their vitamins growing up to crotch block. However, there is a cautionary tale - Masters of the Universe, TMNTs, Pokemon etc. Kids are impressionable and this means they will be obsessive but they can just as quickly move on to the next flavour of the month.

Are smarks 'true' fans? Hmmm... toughie. In some cases, most definitely yes, fan smarks will have their opinions but generally will show a willingness to allow storylines to mature before lambasting it as stupid or the same old crap. The smarks whose fandom I would dispute are the haters. When a new plotline appears, it's their position that it's 'throwing spaghetti at the wall' / 'same old shit' before any time has been allowed to see what develops.

Beyond these generalisations, there are many people on this forum who are die hards of one promotion and will slam every other (WWe versus TNA/Impact the biggest 'rivalry'). It's easy to say these people are WWe/ Impact/ other fans but it is hard to describe them as WRESTLING fans if they go out of there way to rubbish the competition.

A fan will attend shows when possible, pay for a tee shirt of their favourite star and wear it proudly, purchase DVDs and wear them out, sit up half the night to watch PPVs (this side of the pond anyhow) and will happily defend their position of being a fan at the general ignorant perception of it not being worthy of adult viewing. These fans do deserve more credit than casuals who stream, buy bootlegs etc because they put money in the coffers of the promotions, will happily advertise the sport and have the right to feel they have a voice to cheer/ boo who they want in whatever manner they decide (just like the supporters of any sports team).

To me, if you love something, you are a fan. If it has the ability to make you scream like a thirteen year old girl at a Bieber concert at the good things or rage like a monster at the bad - you can call yourself a fan. If you rage at EVERYTHING, it's time to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back