• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What makes a match great

PsychoBlack

Damn it feels good to be a Taylor!!
Everyone has their different taste in wrestling. Meaning that everyone has a different opinion on what makes a match great. Some people love psychology while others just want to see big spots. Now wit that being said I want to know what makes a match great for you. I have to start since those are the rules around here.

For me a match has to be exciting from start to finish. That however does not mean that I'll say this match sucks at the first sign of a rest hold, but, it does mean that if their is a rest hold something should come from it (change of momentum). A great match has to have Psychology or tell some sort of story, now this does not have to mean Arm Arm Arm it could mean countering a move that was done on you earlier or a role reversal (technical guy brawls while brawler gets technical). Last but not least the finish can't just happen, there has to be some sort of drama not necessarily a run in or the ref going down but maybe a reversal of a finisher into another one for the pin or a move that comes after an extreme war.

Let me hear your thoughts WZ

I wrote this in a thread in which the OP was asking What exactly makes an ideal feud? I think the answer is relevant for this thread too.

"[/B]Telling a story within a match: This might be a bit hard to explain but the story should not end at promos only. The match that the competitors have should tell the same story as well. For example there is no point in using a hammerlock in a streetfight is there? That is one of the reasons why I love Austin. Whenever he was in a blood feud he always came out brawling. Slowly circling each other and locking up does not do the trick in my opinion. It always felt in Austin's case that he meant business. That he really hated his opponent. Might not exactly seem like a big thing but its small things like these that make the big picture.
This is also one of the reasons why Austin vs Hart at Mania 13 is regarded as such a great match. The story in the match was that Austin was a tough guy and he thought he could beat Hart but Austin was inexperienced to go all the way versus Hart and that is why he lost. Hart was angry because even though he had said that Austin was a good wrestler he did not really think he was. So it was unacceptable to him that a trash talking punk like Austin almost had him beat and therefore after the match Bret attacked him. The match tells the same story of Austin's inexperience and talent contrasted with Bret's experience and frustration."

First, no matter who is in the match, you have to have a good live crowd. No recorded sounds of a crowd but real, live, exciting crowds. A boring crowd will give nothing to the match. It will make the match seem like shit no matter who's in it. Try and watch a backstage match without any crowd noises or people around to cheer. Its boring. Without a crowd, it gives the wrestlers nothing to go off of. If a crowd chants one more time, you're more than likely going to get it one more time. It gives them no encouragement to do suicide dives or dumb risky moves. I think it was Shawn Michaels who first used the crowd to his advantage. When he lays there in the middle of the ring with his opponent and looks like he's dead, he sizzles in the moment. That's the most important part of a good match. A match also needs some build up and mystery behind it. It can't be too predictable. It needs to be impossible to predict the outcome. Like the Shawn Michaels/Undertaker Wrestlemania 26 match. Taker's streak vs. Michaels career. People never thought Michaels would retire. It was impossible to predict. A great match also needs tons of near falls and. Not necisserly from finishers, but from suplexes or stong moves that look like they will put away the match. It also can't be dominant. It needs to be back and forth most of the match. And the last adition to a good match would be commentary. Its not important, but needed. You need the them to mark the fuck out when something happens. You need them to yell and scream just like a fan would. All this is exactly what makes a match good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back