What is the biggest Wrestling tragedy of all time??

I know its messed up to say, but as a wrestling fan.... who loves great wrestling matches, for me, the fact that Benoit never faced Cm. Punk at night of champions.

off topic side note
John Morrison honestly should be thanking Benoit for what happened. Had he not lost his shit, jomo wouldn't have been given the ECW title, and his surrent charecter never wouldve taken off.

How about one we are in the midst of currently seeing happen, and that is the Hardy Boys becomming totally irrelevant and shells of their former selves?

I mean, I've been watching wrestling since the late 80's/early 90's, but with lack of cable until I was 18, I couldn't watch it live all the time until the Attitude era was in full swing. So guys like the Hardys and Edge and Christian were really some of the first guys I could say I saw them from the begining of their career. Saw Edge jobbing in WCW, and Jeff on Raw a couple times prior to their full roster stints. And even then, the Hardy's were first just a jobbing tag team on Shotgun Saturday Night. But then Michael Hayes, the Brood angle, and an epic ladder match later, and they became stars.

What's sad is that I can remember J.R. calling some of those matches and admitting that the Hardy's were certainly going to have shortened careers with all the chance they took. Now I don't doubt all their bumps during their run is still a primary cause, but their own personal mindsets seem to be what's currently just making them both look sad. I mean, Jeff was WWE champion two years ago, and really starting to contend as #1 babyface in the company. Now he's part of a lame ensemble angle on a wrestling show few care about, trying to avoid jail time, and all around looking like the next wreslter to have a O.D. as cause of death.

Matt had his ups and downs, but even when Jeff left WWE the first time, Matt had a cult following of support, and it got huge during the whole Edge/Lita situation. But in the last two years, he almost looked like he took his Matt Hardy Version 1.0 character and incorporated it into his real life, and making a fool out of himself on YouTube. If Jeff is irrelevant winning the TNA championship, what does that make Matt?

It's just amazingly sad to watch either of them now, like watching a band who once sold out on world tours now playing for 30 people in a bar, looking horrible, but still thinking they are the shit.

As far as non-death or physical tragedy goes, I have two at the top of my list. They've been mentioned already, but I will mention them again.

First would have to go to Bret Hart and the screwjob/WCW run. If anything could have maybe changed the way wrestling and Hart is viewed today, this would have been it. What if he hadn't gotten screwed? What if he went to WCW, didn't like the direction, but the door to WWE was still open? What if he ended up back in WWE in no time at all? Could it have even changed the Owen tragedy? So many things may have went a different direction had all of this not happened.

Second would have to be the sale of WCW to McMahon. Again, so many questions abound. If somebody else had bought it, would it be around today? Would it have rebounded and made the landscape of wrestling different in the present day? What would have happened if ECW talent had 2 choices in employers? So many things could have veered in highly significant different directions.

I think the biggest tragedy is the story on the front page of WrestleZone. Ric Flair wrestling for 30+ years .. surviving plane crashes .. being super popular (basically being the Hogan Hogan of NWA/WCW) and now is so broke he still needs to Wrestle at age 60.

biggest tragedy minus deaths, the fact that the rock never got the chance to bash the absolute living crap out of john cena at wrestlemania for the title and then saying "it doesn't matter that i can't see you bitch"

this a tough one bc im not 100% sure what you are asking for? Is this a behind the scenes type tragedy or storyline tragedy? I have seen examples of both and some of them aren't even "tragic" and some are... Though the people arguing deaths should've read it correctly the first time bc obviously this topic would have been shut down with a quickness if deaths were eligible as its something that's been done repeatedly. I do like the twist, just not sure what you are going for exactly, but i'll give it a shot. My vote goes to Bret getting a concussion from Goldberg. It was an accident that may have played a part in his stroke and pretty much ended his wrestling career. Bret was my favorite growing up and deserved so much more out of his career, it's a shame it ended the way it did. Another one would be Brian Pillman's car crash... What a shame that was bc Brian was on the cusp of something big then he got this accident that cut his career and ultimately life short. He could have easily came in as a top heel and its a damn shame he didn't get to reach the epic heights I believe he was headed to.

I remember when I was still just a fan and was just getting into the internet. I actually shelled out 50 dollars (and I never bought ppvs) for a summerslam ppv.. The headliner was Shawn Michaels vs Hulk Hogan, but I bought it for the Edge/Hardy match. After months of build up after the first time in awhile getting invested in a story line. To watch a match where Hardy passes out because of the pain was just a shot to all fans of his out there. That whole feud could have been very very special instead they (wwe) rushed the angle. Granted now I am not so much the Matt Hardy fan that I used to be (his youtubes, matches, etc) but back then.. I actually felt ripped off

I know this won't compare to most 'tragedys' but i look back on Muhammad Hassan and always feel it's such a shame what happened to him. He was getting HUGE heat and 6 years ago i absolutely HATED him and thats what his job was to do, get people to hate him.

So this whole thing with the london bombings was REALLY bad timing that coincided with the undertaker and the arab ski mask incident. It wasnt his fault at all but he payed for it.

The tragic part about it was that he was so young, I believe he was 23 at the time and apparentley was being booked to beat batista at summerslam. So he would have been the youngest champ ever and im sure he would have had a great career. He was excellent on the mic and pretty good in the ring. Its just such a waste of talent.

Im sorry but is this a real question? The Owen Hart fall to his death! It happened on a live WWE PPV. Other than that i could see someone saying the Benoit double murder/suicide or the whole Eddie dying the night before his second wwe title run. But some people are saying things like wrestlers getting screwed out of titles. OMG

Read the original post, the guy specifcally said "putting deaths of wrestlers to one side" so we are discussing the saddest things in wrestling history APART FROM wrestlers dying. Obviously anyone losing their life is more tragic than someone losing a title belt, Owen Hart's especially for the way his life ended. However, we are discussing non-death related tragedies.

I assume you just misread the post, so no red rep for you dude, just read things a little more carefully :)

You guys are missing a very important one in my book. Darren Drozdov becoming paralyzed. Now he by no means was the next Rock or Austin, but he had his own unique look, and is a great overall man. Hell, in the very first Tough Enough, Triple H comes in to talk to the "trainees" and mentions his "good friend" Darren Drozdov to show that this business is no joke. I'm a wrestler myself and i've sprained things, and even broke a bone or two, but to know that you will never be able to move again, play with your kids, or have sex with your wife, well these things are the scary realities of this business. This my friends is one of the biggest tragedies in wrestling EVER.

Excellent choice my friend. What happened to Droz is truly sad. I know he didnt lose his life due to wrestling, but his life as he knew it has forever been changed for the worse. To lose your mobility at such a young age and from such a minor thing as taking a Powerbomb is truly tragic. Droz must play the incident over in his mind every day, and regret ever agreeing to take the move.

It just shows that tragedies can occur ant any time to anybody from the smallest thing, and that we should never take anything we have for granted, as it can all be taken away from us in an instant.

Truly sad

(I will rep you again bro when I can, great great choice)

Thank You Natural, I Know I haven't been here long so when some one like yourself who is well established here giving me "props" it means something.

But to the topic of the post again, I'd have to say another huge tragedy is Scott Hall. This is a man who had it all, the look, talent, charisma, EVERYTHING, and he threw it away for what??? For pills and booze. It's just sad cuz when guys throw the names out of men who were supposed to be world champions or who are the greatest to not be world champions Scott Hall is easily my number one. Scott Hall, maybe not a death in wrestling, but if he continues to go down this path, he won't be alive much longer.

The sad decline of Tom Billington.....to go from one of the best technical wrestler's in the world to a sad bitter cripple, such a shame.

Then we have Bret Hart....at least he look's like getting an happy ending

Thank You Natural, I Know I haven't been here long so when some one like yourself who is well established here giving me "props" it means something.

But to the topic of the post again, I'd have to say another huge tragedy is Scott Hall. This is a man who had it all, the look, talent, charisma, EVERYTHING, and he threw it away for what??? For pills and booze. It's just sad cuz when guys throw the names out of men who were supposed to be world champions or who are the greatest to not be world champions Scott Hall is easily my number one. Scott Hall, maybe not a death in wrestling, but if he continues to go down this path, he won't be alive much longer.

Thanks for the compliment dude, and you have just made another great choice.

Scott Hall could have been a MAJOR player in wrestling, I agree with what you said- he had all the tools in the book- the look, the size, the power, the gimmick and the charisma. It is very sad he just drank it all away. I would love to have seen him as the champion, but Hall was just too unreliable and too much of a liability to ever be given the responsibility of holding the World Title. When you see some of the wrestlers who have been World Champ, and then realise Hall never held the belt, you have to say it was the drink that held him back.

I certainly agree that if he cannot control his demons then he could be dramatically shortening his life. I only hope he can follow the example of his friend HBK rather than Shawn Waltman and manage to overcome his problems. Hall has recently checked back into rehab, paid for by Vince McMahon and does seem genuinely grateful for the help he is receiving and does want to kick the booze, so heres hoping he can do.

I still think that a sober Hall could have something to contribute to wrestling, maybe not in the ring but behind the scenes, it is well known he is a smart guy and knows alot about the business. He actually came up with Sting's "Crow" gimmick and suggested HBK use the Superkick as his finishing manouvre.

It is always sad when really talented wrestlers fall foul of their demons. Scott Hall, Jake Roberts, Davey Boy Smith etc, the list goes on. Drugs and booze will always be a nemesis of some wrestlers, Scott Hall is just one of the highest profile victims. I just hope he can FINALLY get himself straight before, as you said, he ends his life.

I think the biggest wrestling tragedy of all times would be 2 things that are foremost, and that's in pro wrestling and how the WWE has and continue to change wrestling history to suite them botton line just do the research.

I think the biggest wrestling tragedy of all times would be 2 things that are foremost, and that's in pro wrestling and how the WWE has and continue to change wrestling history to suite them botton line just do the research.

I would say that is a SAD thing rather than a tragedy.

Any real passionate fan can read up on wrestling history and find out for themself that the WWE is not telling the entire truth. For example, increasing the attendances of WM's is not the end of the world, or not acknowledging wrestlers accomplishments in other companies (You know if Christian wins the WWE title at any point that WWE will say that its his first world title)- but anyone can look at TNA's records and discover that Christian has been champ before.

I cannot compare this unneccesary action to any talented wrestlers career being ruined by drugs or alcohol, or simply being wasted. That is someone's life being affected seriously, not just WWE scribbling out an attendence figure and writing a bigger one, or pretending they didnt win a belt- DVD's and footage exist so it isnt as big an issue today as it used to be

The biggest tragedy in wrestling history is the death of ECW and WCW.

In the 90's, every promotion was striving for excellence. With only one game in town, we don't see that type of effort anymore. Without any viable competition, the WWE are free to coast. I will say that over the past couple years, the product has improved, but it still hasn't come close to the level it reached in the 90's.

again, deaths aside. i could go w/ bret. im a huge mark if his. but at least he has a legacy. guess ill have to go w/ RVD. rose to stardom in the original ECW. i know he got hurt during his epic tv reign, but y not put the world title on him?? he was obviously their biggest star. (u cant tell me taz was bigger when they were both there when van dam reached his height) fast foward, the invasion- BIG pops nite after nite. but wwe chose to grossly misbook him...mth after mth after mt. fast foward again- finally at one night only 2, van dam finally goes over the golden boy cena, has BOTH WWE and ECW titles. yes shortly after he was caught w/ pot. but god, how many top stars in wwe currently have been busted 4 steroids or another banned substance and has barely effected their pushs? van dam was almost instantly beaten 4 both titles and soon after gone. he appeared afew years later at royal rumble. (again to insane pop) but it was a one time thing. yes hes in tna now but its yrs later and not the same. he could been some special in wwe as a main event i believe. and i think its a damn shame.

No deaths? That could be a book in and of itself. I'm going to include physical ailments as well, then(Magnum TA, Droz, etc.)

To me, it's gotta be the terrible handling, on almost all accounts, of the WCW/WWF Invasion. Check out Cornette's Guest Booker shoot on the subject(I don't always agree with the old curmudgeon, but there's some truth here). Poor execution, lack of any noticeable WCW 'core' talent, and NO dream-type matches. We did end up getting that a year later with Rock and Hogan, but that was just an embarassing time to be a wrestling fan.

Hell, by the time it was decided, the five men who fought for the WCW/ECW Alliance to succeed were:
RVD(ECW's biggest star, I buy this)
Booker T(Five-time, five-time...)
Kurt Angle(he was in ECW once, but threatened to sue because he's afraid of sacrilicious things or something)
Steve Austin(OK, to S-T-R-E-T-C-H, he was in both ECW and WCW. Sadly enough, I'm not sure if this was even mentioned during the entire storyline)
And Shane McMahon

Shane McMahon.

I know he took a crazy 50 foot bump once, but to me, he'll always be the Dwight Schrute of the WWE.

Wow, where to begin on this? There are so many choices.

1. Who's your Papi? The whole Eddie/Ray custody of Dominick story. What sort of parent puts custody of his son on the line in a ladder match? The whole angle made two of the greats just look like horrible people. Horrible angle.

2. Serena's release- Yes let's fire someone for not following a kayfabe angle in their on personal time. What next? Bring Lita back and then fire Edge for not making out with her in public?

3. The end of the Attitude era- I mainly list this because I think Vince, with his massive ego, kept pushing the envelope trying to recapture that magic. Because of that you had such gems as Vince's "death", Katie Vick, the above mentioned Dominick story, the "live sex celebration", yes the overall story with Edge and Lita, not bad, but that scene, pointless. All that and I'm sure the rest of you could up with dozens more.

4. All the rest already mentioned- Death of WCW/ECW. Bret to WCW, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back