What is the biggest Wrestling tragedy of all time??

rge2010

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Lets put all the Wrestler deaths aside on this one and talk about what has upset you most in the Wrestling world???

I was a huge Bret Hart fan in the 90s. The thing that upset me worse wasn't the screwjob (looking back it was pretty cool now) but it was the way Hogan and Bischoff practically buried him in WCW.

Hart was one of the biggest players in the Wrestling world back then and WCW didn't have a clue how to use him. I lost count the amount of times he changed between face and heel. I don't even think Bret knew what he was half the time! I don;t think Bret helped himself in some respects, he was obviously in a dark place for a long time after Montreal, then again when Owen passed on.

I seem to remember them building him for that big match at Starcade against Goldberg. A few weeks before they made him put over Booker T cleanly! Then of course came the match and Piper came out and walked off with the belt (thats another story).

In a perversed way, I think Goldberg did Bret a favour putting him out of his WCW misery (concussion/strokes aside).

I agree it has to be Bret Hart. He was one of the most talented men in the business in WWE, and Montreal aside (we could go back and forth over that), the way he was used in WCW was pathetic.

Vince was right all along in saying that they would not know how to use a Bret Hart. He was better than almost anyone on their roster, and they completely wasted his talents, giving him a pointless debut, switching him from face to heel, nWo to WCW so many times. Bret himself has said he was sent to the ring and told to cut on a promo on a certain subject with literally 30 seconds notice...noone is going to produce their best work if they have no idea as to what they are meant to be doing.

As the OP stated, Bret was in a dark place over Montreal and again after Owen tragically died, but he deserved much better than he got in WCW, they just did not use his character properly and he was lost in the shuffle in the clusterfuck that was WCW in the late 1990s.

Even sadder is what happened to Bret in his personal life, with the death of his close friend Brian Pillman, his brother in law Davey Boy Smith, and obviously Owen. He then suffered his stroke which severely affected his mobility and his speech. As much as people slag off his match at WM against Vince, this is a man who has fought back fro unbelievable personal tragedy and a STROKE. To even step foot in a wrestling ring again and attempt to put on a match is a credit to Bret Harts bravery and courage

I have huge respect for the Hitman, and noone will be able to convince me otherwise.

Wrestling deaths aside... mine would be the LOD/Hawk commits suicide angle the WWF ran in 2000. Here you have one of the greatest badass tag teams in the business, The Road Warriors, trying to make a come back with an updated look. Then, out of nowhere, Hawk is getting replaced on the team by a guy named Puke?? On top of that, they make Hawk into a alcoholic manic depressant and kick him off the team he invested twenty years of his life forming. From what I have read and watched, Hawk really had the issues that were shown on TV, and the WWF just exploited it. But wait, it gets better (there wasn't enough Attitude in the story quite yet). WWF then has the guy perform one of the worst staged suicide attempts on national televison off the Titantron and then dropped the storyline completely within a week or so. I felt bad for Hawk. That's no way for a wrestler of his caliber to go out. Granted, as a wrestler the guy's no Ric Flair. As far as wrestling tag teams are concerned, however, he helped define a generation and just deserved better.

the Bret Hart to WCW is an alright one, but that is comparing a free agent going to crappy team so I dont feel bad for Bret career. I think a bigger tragedy is WCW giving that much power to Hulk Hogan. Coming out of the 80's where NWA/WCW had a better roster with better wrestlers top to bottom, they go and get Hogan and give him the millions (for what? besides him posing and having the John Cena skills of only 4 moves,5 for all the times he "tweeked his knee") and the creative control which he sat on the rest of the talent not allowing anyone else to be pushed. the n.w.o was a good idea for about 5 months then they got bigger and storylines ran together.the good talent was pushed out the door (jericho,eddie,benoit,big show,thank goodness) of the sinking giant ship and they didnt pass the belt around till the end (passed it to an actor..most horrific thing in wrestling history, and he wasnt even a good actor). Hogan destroying w.c.w like the titanic,nice and slow, is the biggest non-death related tragedy in wrestling.

I personally think the biggest non-death or injury related thing to happen in wrestling is when the Dudleys didn't retire a couple months ago like they claimed they were going to. Devon is one thing but Blubber Ray is one of the biggest wastes of space in wrestling history. It would have been nice if they had "passed the torch" (I hate using that term) to MCMG and left gracefully.

The second biggest problem I have is Stone Cold's refusal to wrestle Jeff Jarrett. Remember when the IC Champion used to be considered as the number one contender to the WWE Championship? That was the case with Intercontinental champion Jarrett who, until Jericho came along, held the record for most IC titles ever won. Sadly, however, Austin who was WWE champ at the time used backstage politics and his "pull" to prevent a match from happening. Back when WCW was still in business and had their call-in radio show, Jarrett was the guest and I had the pleasure of calling in and discussing it with him. It was pretty cool. I don't remember WWE having the IC champ as number one contender stipulation in place after that.

To go against the grain a little bit, I'll go with "Macho Man" Randy Savage.

For... whatever reason, he can't go to WWE and is out of the HOF because of it and is rarely ever discussed. At this point in his career, everything he worked for is going virtually unnoticed. He's in a game here or there, and he did get the DVD set. So, WWE will make money off him, but isn't really in the business of giving him actual shine. Lol.

I too am going to go away from the bret hart thing, even though it is a tragedy, i think that the biggest Wrestling tragedy is the opening up of the NWO. I think that the NWO could of been so good for every year it was around except they kept adding random guys and soon enough everyone was basically in the NWO. I know they wanted a separate NWO show but that never worked out so they should of just let the NWO go back down to like 5-6 guys max.

Also another one that i am going to say is the defeat of Goldberg! Goldberg should never have lost that match to Kevin Nash, egos aside just the thought of having Goldberg go undefeated for a career is so awesome! He deserved it...he wasn't the best technical wrestler but he was probably the best character outside of Sting in WCW.

Im sorry but is this a real question? The Owen Hart fall to his death! It happened on a live WWE PPV. Other than that i could see someone saying the Benoit double murder/suicide or the whole Eddie dying the night before his second wwe title run. But some people are saying things like wrestlers getting screwed out of titles. OMG

wrestler's death wise, i would go with owen's. there are no words to explain that. the picture above kinda send chills on my spine on what he must be thinking when he realized what was happening at that height.

as far as storyline goes, how about eddie's death being exploited. there were promos with randy orton saying eddie is in hell not heaven, destroying the lowrider, storylines with chavo and vicky etc etc, this is why i think rey's push at that time is very perversed. i kinda dont know how people got into it.

Im sorry but is this a real question? The Owen Hart fall to his death! It happened on a live WWE PPV. Other than that i could see someone saying the Benoit double murder/suicide or the whole Eddie dying the night before his second wwe title run. But some people are saying things like wrestlers getting screwed out of titles. OMG

You should really read the first post as he said other than death.

I think my tragedy is still linked to death but it has to do with the release of talents who need help and refuse to get it only to die later. Lance Cade, Andrew "Test" Martin and so many others.

I could also talk about Chyna getting release because she wasn't HHH protege anymore.

And of course the screwjob of Bret but also the time where Hogan got the title from Yokozuna instead of Bret.

The thing that upset me the most in the wrestling world was WCW being sold to the WWE. Anyone besides the WWE. Even at its worst I still watched and was interested to a certain extent what was going on. I like wrestling on Monday nights I never really watched smackdown or thunder, but I liked being able to have a choice to watch either nitro or raw and It is strictly my opinion that wrestling was better with the competition.

There was an incident one in WCW, I think it was Sting, who fell off the titantron or something and it was treated just like the Owen Hart incident. Thanks the most distasteful thing I can think of right now. I cant concider much things a tragedy in wrestling because they usually lead to good things. That incident, however, really struck a nerve since they were clearly mocking Owen's death.

I would have to say the Katie Vick angle is the worst tragedy of all time in my book. It was such a low and pitiful move to think that the angle would be any good. That has left such a bad taste that I can't bring myself to like any part of it. It was a new low for wrestling.

HBK goes back first into the edge of the casket. It may have given him the time to sort himself out but from a wrestling standpoint, we lost his best years, numerous awesome matches and his involvement in an era that he was made for and the true architech of. However good he was when he returned, you'd have to imagine he would have been even better without that injury.

You guys are missing a very important one in my book. Darren Drozdov becoming paralyzed. Now he by no means was the next Rock or Austin, but he had his own unique look, and is a great overall man. Hell, in the very first Tough Enough, Triple H comes in to talk to the "trainees" and mentions his "good friend" Darren Drozdov to show that this business is no joke. I'm a wrestler myself and i've sprained things, and even broke a bone or two, but to know that you will never be able to move again, play with your kids, or have sex with your wife, well these things are the scary realities of this business. This my friends is one of the biggest tragedies in wrestling EVER.

Several things immediately ran through my mind, I think most have been mentioned.
Hogan getting the belt off Yoko after Bret gets screwed. Hogan loses to Money Inc, then gets to close the show as Champ!!? fucked, simply fucked.
Hornswoggle winning the Cruiserweight Championship and it's subsiquent retirement. I could rant for DAYS on this.....da fuck?
WCW invasion...or lack there of. WWE had lightning in a bottle. Instead of letting that lighting out they pissed in the bottle and put it out. I just don't understand to this day why they wouldn't have taken complete advantage of having that dynamic on TV. Great wrestling TV that writes itself.
And finally, what just might be the biggest tragedy of all time.......the last Divas Match at Wrestlemania. It was a complete shit show, then Vickie wins!? I bought the ppv before that match was announced, I still want my money back.

I think the end of WCW was a tragedy in my book. A real end of an era I think. And like it or not, it has ruined wrestling. It'll never be the same again.

And with regards to Sting falling from the "Titantron", it was hardly mocking Owen's death. The match was Sting vs Vampiro, and whoever got set on fire first lost the match. They were up there because Vampiro was kayfabe scared of heights or something. They didn't do it to mock Owen, they did it because it was a fantastic stunt. It was literally nothing like the Owen incident. As if anyone would participate in something like that, let alone Sting. That's one of the daftest things I've possibly ever heard. That statement alone is the biggest tragedy in wrestling history.

Ok we are talking about some of the worse tragedies of all times?????
What about Owen Hart?
Chief Jay Strongbow relation get beat in the ring???? Yeah i was a kid back when this happened????
Those are two important tragedies that happened in the past but here is some things that are happening now that I just dont understand....

How the Corre and Nexus can get away with what they are doing????? Come on now I use to be a avid watcher of RAW and Smackdown but this is driving viewers away We understand that we need some DRAMA but not like this Every week Come on Now

Now let go with Vickie...We all know that Storylines are an important factor but what they are doing with her disgraces Eddie....She goes from man to man and with her making matches to suit her man and stipulates the conditions of the match well I was getting the Royal Rumble but I decided not to now THANX VICKIE

The RAW GM This is getting old n I think this needs to come to an end Show ur face or leave the GM position to someone who is not BIAS!!!! Tell me why isn't The Miz ever included in a Nexus beatdown????? They went after Cena The Corre went after the Big Show and Edge but never The Miz....Why is that????

As for the announcer named Michael Cole U need to get a life away from Wrestling.....If u want to get friendly with The Miz u dont have to grease him up so much....Somebody needs to teach u a lesson Just like The Miz and since u like him some much why dont u take Arods' spot!!!!!!!

Those are just my opinions if u agree or disagree so be it We need Triple H back n I hope he does real soon

HBK goes back first into the edge of the casket. It may have given him the time to sort himself out but from a wrestling standpoint, we lost his best years, numerous awesome matches and his involvement in an era that he was made for and the true architech of. However good he was when he returned, you'd have to imagine he would have been even better without that injury.

U need to get his Life Story on DVD HBK made the rite decision to leave for those years and if u watch his DVD u will understand more....Yes we lost some of career during his time away but be thankful he came back and gave us the years he did :blush:

I think bret hart getting screwed is one of the biggest but the biggest could have been jeff swatoning orton from 34 feet high that broke the concreate and and put randy in a wheelchair and almost endend his and randys career that was just awful.

Aside from the deaths of 3 top wwe superstars Eddie/Benoit/Owen i reckon the WWE getting rid of ECW and say what you like but the miz winning the WWE title has to be one

Im sorry but is this a real question? The Owen Hart fall to his death! It happened on a live WWE PPV.

That is what I'm talking about. It happen live. They even said, "this is not a skit... somebody send some help." Blood spatted everywhere. The first few rows of fans got Owen Hart on them.

Christ, I said DEATHS ASIDE!!! Read the fucking post properly.

Anyway, back to the Eddie Guerrero stuff. Lets not forget, WWE tells stories and Wrestling was business that Eddie loved. It might seem distasteful but I ver much doubt Eddie would be watching from heaven shaking his head. It get his Wife on screen so she could earn some dollar to look after his family. I am pretty sure Vickie and Chavo had a say in creative.

Wrestling isnt real, so it played off Eddies death but I dont think it was distasteful, maybe a litle shocking.

I listened to that recent interview with Bret...I suffered a stroke a couple of years ago myself, I feel like I kind of know what he went through, being confined to a wheelchair, having to learn to walk again and all the other things that came with it. He didn't talk about it all that much in his book, I'm sure he could have filled a book with just the rehab from it. Bret's use in WCW was awful, and I was a huge WCW fan. I was so looking forward to Bret coming in, and he did practically nothing.

Just looking at guys like the Iron Sheik...every couple of months, there is some random rant from him, seems like the guy is legit nuts or addicted to something. And speaking of which, Scott Hall. How many chances has he blown? He has had so many people give him a shot to come back, and every time he's flushed it down the toilet.

It's tough to separate deaths for this question...Benoit was my favorite, it pains me to even think about what happened. It was so awesome when he and Eddie won the titles in the same WM, it's a tragedy to think that they are both gone. This is a tough question, wrestling is full of what if's...in baseball you argue about stats/hall of fame entrants, in boxing, who is better pound for pound and generation to generation, in wrestling it seems to be what if this didn't happen, or if this person wasn't in charge. It's a big part of what makes wrestling so appealing to hardcore fans, I think.

The biggest tragedy non-death related in wrestling today, IMO, would be the consolidation of wrestling under the WWE "Wrestling Entertainment". I am an old school fan. I loved watching Georgia Championship Wrestling, the NWA, the AWA, the WCCW, the WCW, the ECW, Mid-South Wrestling, Mid-Atlantic Wrestling, and even Canadian Wrestling. I miss the territories; I miss the competition; I miss the rising stars. Today, it's NOT wrestling like it used to be. Yes, it's fake; but all the Kayfabe and realistic matches made you care. Now, in a 2 hour show, over 45 minutes is talking. I understand times change and business is business; but when the WWE bought out all competition and replaced wrestling with their version of "entertainment"; that was the biggest tragedy in all of wrestling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back