What is a Spot Monkey

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrestlingfan

Championship Contender
So around the IWC, Smarks tend to refer to high-flyers as spot monkeys, Some say a spot moneky is someone who always attempts high-flying spots, other say it's somebody who really has no definitve order when applying their moves in the ring. What exactly is a spot monkey just to clarify?

A spot is usually defined as any predetermined moment in a match. Contrary to popular belief, spots are not solely defined as high flying moves. For instance, at Capitol Punishment when Truth got hit in the face with water or whatever, that was a spot. Therefore a spot monkey would be someone who relies heavily on spots in a match as opposed to someone who generally calls the match as it goes. That's the best description I can give.

A spot is a predetermined move or series of moves. Therefore, a spot monkey is a wrestler who plans a lot of moves before a match.

Spot monkeys are wrongly associated with high flyers because some people do not understand the term; some people think a spot is a high risk move. However, any move can be determined before the match begins, such as a wristlock or a hiptoss. High flyers, however, may plan out spots beforehand more than wrestlers of other styles to secure the safety of their opponent and inform them on what high risk maneuver they want to perform.

To be honest, it's hard to tell who's a "spot monkey", because it's hard to figure out what moves are planned before the match.

EDIT: My post is similar to Nate's, but I was typing my response before he posted. It's just a testament to the correctness of the statements that were made.

Much to contradict what Nate said, what I've seen a spot referring to was a "wow" moment in a match. Although I think I believe what Nate said is a better definition and is what I will go by from this point on, I feel saying what I've be taught from a few assorted members doesn't hurt.

What some people have said is a spot, is, like I mentioned, a "wow" moment, such as the Shooting Sta-RKO, or a big move off a ladder/cage/etc. Therefore, a spot monkey by THAT definition would be someone who relies on an extremely dangerous, unexpected move.

Again, as I stated, Nate's makes more logic though, so I'd go with that.

Much to contradict what Nate said, what I've seen a spot referring to was a "wow" moment in a match. Although I think I believe what Nate said is a better definition and is what I will go by from this point on, I feel saying what I've be taught from a few assorted members doesn't hurt.

What some people have said is a spot, is, like I mentioned, a "wow" moment, such as the Shooting Sta-RKO, or a big move off a ladder/cage/etc. Therefore, a spot monkey by THAT definition would be someone who relies on an extremely dangerous, unexpected move.

Again, as I stated, Nate's makes more logic though, so I'd go with that.
And what BC said. We are correct.

Your post is what the majority believe - that a spot is a high risk maneuver and thus a spot monkey is exclusive to the high flying wrestling style.

But, in reality, a technical guy could have a series of moves planned before the match just as easily as a high flyer.

Well, as has been stated, a spot monkey is generally classified by the majority as simply being high flying wrestlers. It doesn't have to be restricted to a specific style but it's most usually applied to smaller, high flying wrestlers.

When I think of a spot monkey, it does tend to be usually high flying wrestlers because they rely almost entirely on those big, flashy high flying moves. But just because you're a high flying wrestler doesn't make you a spot monkey automatically. When I think of a spot monkey who happens to be a high flying wrestler, it's generally a wrestler that has nothing but big, flashy spots to rely on. These sorts tend to have little storytelling ability or understanding of ring psychology and they're so busy going into the next big spots that they don't even bother to sell the effects of the moves they take. Their matches might be fun to watch for a a bit but you usually don't remember what took place during said match 10 minutes later because it's all just such a jumble of one endless flash fest.

It depends on how you define spot. But, most people consider a spot to be a high spot at this point. Still, a spot is simply a key moment in a match that the wrestlers have planned for one reason or another. Could be the ending to the match or simply a tide-changer. In any event, it's typically going to be a key moment in the contest.

A spot monkey typically refers to someone who has gotten over to some extent solely on those types of moments. Usually, the risk is high and can often times take the person to the top rope or higher, so to speak. Instead of getting over with story-telling and stringing together a decent match with natural fluidity, he focuses on big moments in the contest to get the crowd involved. While it might have it's place on the card, it's not a way to prolong your career and it's not something that will likely carry your career.

There is a difference between a spot monkey, someone performing a big/high-risk spot and a spot in general.

Spot Monkey = Teddy Hart.
Big Spot = Shawn Michael with the splash on Triple H through the table at Summerslam.
Spot = A key moment in the match.

A spot monkey is a person who does flip's just to do flip's, a moonsault for no reason, a backflip before a DDT. No strikes are given, not competent wrestling moves are done, it's just a match to have 2 guy's flip and kick out of eachothers finishers until the crowd is dead.

Generation Me is an example of spotmonkey's, same with Kaval. People who do stuff in a match just to do them, even if it doesn't make sense and looks so contrived and put together. Spot's in matches aren't bad, a wrestler who just does spots is stupid.

A spot monkey is different from a high flyer. Not all high flyers are spot monkeys. There are wrestlers who are able to add high flying moves to their arsenal while still being able to use other styles or not have to rely on moves that have a large risk of injury. Spot monkeys on the other hand are different from high flyers because they rely heavily (if not exclusively) on insane spots that have a large risk of injuring them. Jeff Hardy is a great example of a spot monkey. He is not skilled in anything but insane spots that have a high chance of injuring someone if he does them wrong. He and other spot monkeys would be looked upon more positively if they had other skills to rely on rather than always going out there risking injury, no matter how cool some of their finishers might look.

A spot monkey tends to be defines by the lack of psychology or transition between their moves. They do not sell effectively or even at all and only focus on being in the right place at the right time from move to move.

The X Division was characterised by many of these wrestlers. But fair to say that the X Division got better when these wrestlers got better.

Being a spot monkey hurts the match but dont think that they are just high fliers as brawlers can be just as guilty of this. Every wrestler has their own sequence of spots that they get into their match but the key is to do it effectively which can be easier said than done.

A spot monkey is different from a high flyer. Not all high flyers are spot monkeys. There are wrestlers who are able to add high flying moves to their arsenal while still being able to use other styles or not have to rely on moves that have a large risk of injury. Spot monkeys on the other hand are different from high flyers because they rely heavily (if not exclusively) on insane spots that have a large risk of injuring them. Jeff Hardy is a great example of a spot monkey. He is not skilled in anything but insane spots that have a high chance of injuring someone if he does them wrong. He and other spot monkeys would be looked upon more positively if they had other skills to rely on rather than always going out there risking injury, no matter how cool some of their finishers might look.

this is why I am a fan of Evan Bourne/Matt Sydal, watch his matches, he's the complete OPPOSITE he does a lot from kicks to chain wrestling and mat wrestling, he ussually uses a lot of armbars and keylocks and he's pulled out a few submissions, a cross armbar,sharpshooter, spinning keylock, armbar, hammerlock, side headlock takedown/sitting headlock, he used an arm trap-triangle choke on Matt Hardy at Cyber Sunday. Even look at the vids on youtube, top 65 moves of Matt Sydal/Evan Bourne. I just get so PISSED when people call him a spot monkey because he isn't, same with Justin Gabriel watch his match with Cena. I can only name 3 spotmonkeys

Jeff Hardy, Jack Evans, Aerostar.

Firstly, I would like to define a spot, which is a predetermined point or move in a match-up. It is one of the most mistaken concepts in all of professional wrestling that a spot is simply a high-flying move, which it is not. Those are just the bigger spots, and the ones that are most usually emphasized on.

That being said, I personally would say a spot monkey is someone who relies heavily on spots. They have no grasp of in-ring psychology what-so-ever, and have no idea how to work a coherent match without being carried through it. Sabu is a perfect example. All of his matches rely on huge, hardcore spots, usually involving tables and chairs. He has never worked a very good match that didn't involve many weapon spots. Sabu is one of the best examples I can think of, because he can't work good matches without a huge number of spots, and has to be carried through the rest of the matches.

So it looks like everyone pretty much agrees what a spot monkey is. However, this is 2011, therefore a "spot monkey" doesn't really exist anymore.

This is one of those phrases used by people who feel like they know everything there is to know about wrestling. Another common feature of this phrase is its derogatory nature. This is because most who use the phrase are self-loathing POS who have there panties in a bunch because the wrestlers they get a stiffy for aren't the world champion.

Either way, these so called "spot monkeys" are here to stay in the wrestling biz so people may as well get used to them.

And no, I didn't bother to proofread this post. Why bother? Crack is fuckin awesome, but of course, you already knew that. Hooray for Freedom of Speech, ********s.

This will probably come across as controversial to supporters of the two gentlemen I am about to mention but it is not intended to be disrespectful. It is simply the way I saw it at the time and still believe having watched again.

A common stereotype fired at matches regarded as extremely spot heavy is that the competitors (who by definition of being in a spot dominated match, should be regarded as spot monkeys for that match) do not sell convincingly. While this can often be the case (usually because the competitors in question are allocated a short match time and try to squeeze in as much offence as possible - see last Thursday night's Impact contract match won by Jack Evans), it is frequently not. The next WWe PPV is MITB and these multiperson matches are extremely spot happy, but they require several guys to OVER sell in order to spread the spotlight (pun intended) around.

Now to the controversy, it is unusual that a two man bout will be of a significant length and still be regarded as a spot fest but this years WrestleMania match between Undertaker and Triple H was such an occurrence. There was little transitional wrestling and the whole setup was spot, extended selling period, repeat. Had the two participants not been the legends they are, this bout would have been roundly lambasted (for example, imagine Kane and Sheamus or Abyss and Robert Roode in their positions).

Certain guys (like a Jeff Hardy or a Jack Evans) take much criticism for being spot monkeys but when given the right structure and time allocation for their match, many of these guys can lift the mediocre to the sublime.

One final thought, @itssoeasy, are you having a laugh with Kaval? There is no way this guy could be regarded as just a spot monkey; most of his offence is strike, grapple and submission based. He is no more a spot monkey than CM Punk or Daniel Bryan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back