• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What if Wrestling was never made Kayfabe?

kilva

Occasional Pre-Show
If wrestling was real, would it survive the sports industry? I mean boxing is making it big, and all their matches are real and are still intense(I guess). What or where would the WWE be if they had real matches & real heated rivalries? Would the McMahons ever make it big like today? Which superstars from the past & the present would have made it big(Kurt Angle is an obvious answer, but who else?) Who would have had real rivalries and personal issues? And who would become the real undefeated monster that Brock & Umaga(And Probably Floyd Mayweather, in boxing) if wrestling was real?
Just a thought... THanks for the replies :)

I don't understand. Are you wanting Pro Wrestling to made like Olympic Wrestling? High School wrestling?

To answer this question, look at the ratings for any televised wrestling nowadays (if there is any). Now look at the ratings for the Olympic wrestling matches. Let me guess, almost non-existent. No one gives a shit. I thought as much.

And if you wanted it to be like it is today, except with actual shoot fights, then wrestlers wouldn't last 5 years. What with the amount of damage they put their bodies through, and that's without taking the sort of damage they really should. Not that they don't take a lot, but if it were a real fight it'd be loads more.

..I could answer more precisely if I understood the post. I dunno. Someone else explain it to me.

If you read Bret Hart's book, he had a conversation with Lou Thesz as to why professional wrestling became "scripted" and "kayfabed". Whether or not the information that Lou Thesz discloses is the truth or not I cannot say, but it is an interesting bit of history if it is.

Is this what you mean? If wrestling had just remained a shoot and did not have predetermined outcomes?

If wrestling was never scripted it never would have become as big as it is today.

What made Wrestling such a big businnes ?

Storylines did. Hogan slamming André was a work, Lawler slapping Kaufmann was a work and Austin putting a gun to Vince´s head was a work.

The bigger than life experience made professional wrestling such a big industry.

All these moments were scripted but they were the moments that made the news, that made wrestling "cool" in the minds of millions.

If professional wrestling wasn´t scripted it would be amateur wrestling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back