• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What if we would of had John Cena-Triple H II at Wrestlemania 23?

CM Steel

A REAL American
The way the backstage news tells it. We were suppose to get John Cena defending the WWE championship against Triple H, in a rematch from Wrestlemania 22 a year earlier in Chicago. But in Janurary of that year Triple H got injured when he torn yet another quad. So Triple H was on the sidelines for 8 months.

And Trip's DX tag team partner Shawn Michaels wrestled in Triple H's place at Wrestlemania that year in Detroit, where HBK tapped out to Cena's STFU.

But what if Triple H never would have gotten injured? We would of had that epic re-match between John Cena and Triple H! But the real question is...Who would have won the match-up?

Actually i believe the plan before Paul's unfortunate injury was a triple threat Cena vs HBK vs HHH which proved to be a very exciting match a few years later at SS so i think it would have been a good match

But we also got another good match at mania 23 from Cena and HBK so nobody can really say which match would have been better that night and sadly we will never know

Actually i believe the plan before Paul's unfortunate injury was a triple threat Cena vs HBK vs HHH which proved to be a very exciting match a few years later at SS so i think it would have been a good match

But we also got another good match at mania 23 from Cena and HBK so nobody can really say which match would have been better that night and sadly we will never know

Mack_Swagger was right actually, the plan was indeed to have Triple H vs Cena II which Triple H would have most likely won. I'm all for WrestleMania rematches if done properly and this one would have worked. That being said, I don't think it would have changed too much other than that year's main event. Nothing really came of HBK facing Cena so Triple H would have likely had a title run that set up for a rubber match either at that year's SummerSlam or WrestleMania 24. I can actually even see the Triple Threat match at WM24 still happening because Cena was hurt and made the surprise Rumble return. Orton would have been champion, Triple H would want his rubber match, and Cena would be the Rumble winner. Same match, different storyline.

So playing devils advocate here, the general jest is Trips/Cena II was meant to happen @ Mania 23 but didn't due to injury.. WHO was HBK originally stated to face @ Mania 23 than?

HHH/Cena II was better left until NOC 2008, give it plenty time for the fans clamour for the rematch and plus helped sell a PPV that isn't generally a high end show. Problem after that WWE pimped Cena/HHH out on RAW in late 2008 quiet a lot (all with HHH winning).

Regardless thou people keep stating MANIA23 the rematch and Mania 24 the rubber match, people forget Mania 24 was originally stated to be HHH/Mr Ken... Anderson over the Vince father storyline until Ken was caught up in the roids scandal and was demoted. Rematches @ Mania I'm all for, IF the original match happened at Mania.

If Trips had not gotten injured then he would likely have faced Cena in Wrestlemania 23 for a rematch. Cena would probably still have won because they were still in his year long title reign and he needed the victory far more than either Trips of Michaels would have. To go over both of them helped establish Cena as the top guy. The bigger question is who would Michaels have faced? Perhaps Edge or Orton, both of them getting put in the Money in the Bank match felt so random at the time. I'm glad things happened the way they did though. Cena VS Michaels was a great match and probably the best from that evening, better than any Cena VS Trips match would likely ever be. We did still get to see the Cena VS Trips rematch a year later at Night of Champions 2008 though.

So playing devils advocate here, the general jest is Trips/Cena II was meant to happen @ Mania 23 but didn't due to injury.. WHO was HBK originally stated to face @ Mania 23 than?

HHH/Cena II was better left until NOC 2008, give it plenty time for the fans clamour for the rematch and plus helped sell a PPV that isn't generally a high end show. Problem after that WWE pimped Cena/HHH out on RAW in late 2008 quiet a lot (all with HHH winning).

Regardless thou people keep stating MANIA23 the rematch and Mania 24 the rubber match, people forget Mania 24 was originally stated to be HHH/Mr Ken... Anderson over the Vince father storyline until Ken was caught up in the roids scandal and was demoted. Rematches @ Mania I'm all for, IF the original match happened at Mania.

Yep

If Trips had not gotten injured then he would likely have faced Cena in Wrestlemania 23 for a rematch. Cena would probably still have won because they were still in his year long title reign and he needed the victory far more than either Trips of Michaels would have. To go over both of them helped establish Cena as the top guy. The bigger question is who would Michaels have faced? Perhaps Edge or Orton, both of them getting put in the Money in the Bank match felt so random at the time. I'm glad things happened the way they did though. Cena VS Michaels was a great match and probably the best from that evening, better than any Cena VS Trips match would likely ever be. We did still get to see the Cena VS Trips rematch a year later at Night of Champions 2008 though.

Pretty old thread. But Hbk was originally going to face king booker at wrestlemania 23.

Shawn would have represented Trump.

Booker would have represented Vince.

Also Edge and orton were supposed to have a match at wrestlemania 23. But edge got injured during a houseshow. So they threw both men into the money in the bank instead. And They had Jeff Hardy take out edge early to hide the injury.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back