• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What if Sheamus had chosen CM Punk?

Dagger Dias

One Winged Admin
Staff member
Administrator
We know by now that the two world title matches at Wrestlemania this year will be Sheamus VS Daniel Bryan for the World Heavyweight Championship and CM Punk VS Chris Jericho for the WWE Championship. Sheamus had won the option of picking either of the two world titles to challenge for at the biggest show of the year when he emerged victorious at the Royal Rumble. The announcement was made that the Celtic Warrior has set his sights on winning the World Heavyweight Championship at Wrestlemania in April.

This raises a very interesting "what if" scenario though. What if Sheamus had chosen CM Punk and the WWE Championship? We all know that is not going to be the case, but it's something cool to think about. I personally am glad we will be getting Punk VS Jericho and Sheamus VS Bryan, BUT if Sheamus had taken the less likely option and swerved us all, he would be facing Punk instead. This raises a number of different questions that I'm sure will spark a great discussion.

What do you think would happen if Sheamus had decided to challenge WWE Champion CM Punk instead of World Heavyweight Champion Daniel Bryan? Who would Bryan be facing, and where would this leave Jericho? Would you even want to see Sheamus VS Punk at Wrestlemania, had this scenario taken place? Why or why not?

You may do some fantasy booking here since the answer obviously calls for that, but please limit it to just the world title matches. Stay on topic and be sure to include why you think what your opinion is on the subject matter.

Discuss! :)

Really bad idea for a couple of reasons:

1. CM punk continues to gain momentum as a top face and a GREAT champion on Raw. CM Punk vs Sheamus would truly be a "lose/lose" situation in that I strongly believe that both men need to win at Wrestlemania. Punk has truly solidified himself as a strong second face behind John Cena, and even Sheamus beating Punk for the belt at Wrestlemania wouldn't change that. Sheamus would be the #3 face on Raw, and that's not good enough for the Royal Rumble winner. With Punk being the one who should go over in that match and continue his solid run as champion, that would make Sheamus the fifth Rumble winner in a row to lose at Wrestlemania, which makes the Rumble win lose some of its luster.

2. Unlike on Raw, Sheamus has the chance to be a top face on Smackdown. In fact, if Orton is injured long term, however unlikely, Sheamus is the top face on Smackdown. In his fall from themain event scene on Raw, being sent to Smackdown in the draft was the best possible outcome for him. He's had a great face turn that's been well received by the fans, and he's built some incredible momentum in the process. Why mess with a good thing? He's been rebuilt from an upper-mid card guy on Raw to a true main event guy on Smackdown, and he's the right choice to go over Bryan at Wrestlemania. The same can't be said if he were to face Punk. This could truly be a "glass ceiling" moment for Sheamus, and Bryan is the right opponent to do so against. Picking Bryan as his opponent was the absolute right choice, and now they just need to build on the heat between them that started on the Smackdown before EC.

What do you think would happen if Sheamus had decided to challenge WWE Champion CM Punk instead of World Heavyweight Champion Daniel Bryan?
I'd have to bet that it'd be a nice guy vs nice guy match where they respect each other but they're gonna kick each other's asses for the title and odds are Punk would win and Sheamus would go back to his thing on SD.

Who would Bryan be facing, and where would this leave Jericho?
I'd venture that were it not for Orton being injured a good set up would have been give Bryan a match with Orton or Barrett and depending on who Bryan would face I'd say have Jericho face Orton looking for revenge for the punt before his hiatus or a legendary match with Taker.

Would you even want to see Sheamus VS Punk at Wrestlemania, had this scenario taken place? Why or why not?
Sure, I mean it's not exactly what I would consider a dream match for me but both guys can definitely deliver so I wouldn't deny a potentially good match up but it doesn't excite me quite as much as the current matches for the WWE Championship and the World Heavyweight Championship.

What do you think would happen if Sheamus had decided to challenge WWE Champion CM Punk instead of World Heavyweight Champion Daniel Bryan?

I'm on boat with LSN here that it wouldn't be a great idea. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see Punk/Sheamus battle it out but neither would benefit from facing each other and I believe that both need that WM win this year. Had it happened I think Punk would win in what would be an ass kicking in which both guys look absolutely strong.

DB would likely be left with a match against Big Show or Orton. Maybe even a fatal four with Barrett thrown in there. SD is lacking depth as it is so DB would likely have seen a recycled feud unless Orton would have remained healthy.

Jericho on the other hand would sort of be lost. I reckon something with Undertaker would go down as he could have gone on claiming that the "end of the world" would occur with Taker's streak coming to an end.

Would you even want to see Sheamus VS Punk at Wrestlemania, had this scenario taken place? Why or why not?

Of course I'd like to see Punk and Sheamus battle it out. I remember on the strike Raw when it was Punk, Triple H, Cena, and Sheamus I wanted to see them two fight in the opening match as we've never seen it before (to my knowledge). They both have clashing styles, but I think they would mesh well together and put on some solid matches.

Storyline purposes i.e. whos face & heel presently doesn't really make these ideas plausable at present but if they were...& Sheamus or Punk was heel then that would be an adequate showdown...Wrestlemania worthy? Who knows. I'd be interested to see the chemistry between the two.

As for Jericho & Bryan again can be played out both ways in the Heel/Face department but I DO believe that if these two were to go at the biggest stage of them all...IT WOULD BE a Wrestlemania worthy bout. They faced off on the first show of NXT, would be amazing to see a World Heavyweight Champion in Bryan go against a seasoned veteran in Jericho. Jericho v Bryan would be a wrestling clinic to say the least.

This was an interesting topic post that did not get as many responses as I thought it would ... so I will go ahead and jump in.

Obviously it would have to be a face vs. face event because they have invested too much in turning Sheamus. So it would simply be Sheamus saying that he thinks he is the best in the business and wants to go after the "top prize." The build up would be ok, but definitely would not have the feel of Jericho. Jericho would maybe still get involved to make it a triple threat and provide a genuine heel for the crowd to give heat to. Definitely could have been interesting ... but I think they got it right the way they did it.

I think this is the biggest problem here. I don't know any logical thing for them to do with Jericho. They could easily have Bryan face Orton and that all works fine and dandy, but what in the hell would they do with a returning Jericho?
As mentioned ... the ONLY thing that could work at that point would be to have Jericho feud with the Undertaker instead of HHH going at it again. I think that would have mega-interest ... but that would be the only angle available.

I think I would be interested in the match. But with all the build up for Jericho and the thought that Jericho would be facing Punk it would have been a letdown for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back