• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What if Michaels had been the 3rd man?

Ubermensch

Pre-Show Stalwart
To the preface this post, I'm not saying that the nWo wasn't booked properly or that Michaels would have made a better 3rd man than Hogan. In all likelihood he would not have. This is simply a 'What if?' and how I would have booked it.

After the Curtain Call incident begins to circulate through wrestling magazines and among fans, WCW decides to change direction and leave Hogan out of the nWo and off screen for the time being.

Bash at the Beach goes on in the same fashion. Luger is injured, the referee gets knocked out. Nash and Savage brawl on the outside, while Sting cinches the death-lock in on Hall. Down the isle comes WWF Heavyweight Champion Shawn Michaels with belt in hand. Michaels levels Savage from behind with the WWF title, and goes to the ring delivering a super kick to Sting.

Michaels cuts a scathing promo how he is the real world's champion and that the nWo invasion has just began.

Now, obviously Michaels showing up with the WWF championship, and breaching his contract, would set WCW up for legal trouble from the WWF. I think Bischoff would have accepted the risk with Ted Turner's money regardless.

The nWo continues to attack WCW along with the Dungeon of Doom, and Horsemen while destroying and tagging WCW property in the process.

I give WCW about a month of letting Michaels show up to WCW events with the WWF title before the legal ramifications of WCW continuing to do so become to heavy. Huge build up leading to Hog Wild as the WWF world Champion, or 'World's Champion' as they may have called it, would go up against the WCW Heavyweight Champion, The Giant. The Giants puts on a good match with Michaels who has a hard time mounting an offense despite his high flying movies and underhanded tactics. Michaels goes for a super kick that misses and hits the referee knocking him out. Giant recovers grabs Michaels' throat, Hall attempts to interfere, but is grabbed by the other hand. The audience cheers as we think we may see a double choke slam. Nash comes and delivers the big boot freeing both of them. Michaels signals that he wants Nash to deliver a power bomb with his and Halls help. As they are about to set the move up, the Dungeon of Doom comes to the ring to aid their fellow Giant. Hall and Nash smartly lead them to the dressing room in pursuit. The Giant has Michaels in the air for the choke slam when HHH comes from the audience and nails him in the back with the world title. Michaels covers for the win and HHH is the 4th man of the nWo. This is the last time that the WWF title is seen on WCW programming, but the image of Michaels holding both the WCW and WWF heavyweight championship circulates throughout all of the wrestling publications. Now with both titles, Michaels declares himself the Undisputed Heavyweight Champion at a time of kayfabe.

The NWO continue their ruthless antics and the content of their promos resembles DX. The nWo challenge WCW at War Games, but WCW reveals that HHH cannot wrestle because he is not under contract with WCW. Flair and Savage agree to put aside their differences and band together with Sting and Luger to form a super team against the nWo. Again the nWo is not revealing their fourth man until the match. WCW goes into War Games with the +1 advantage. Things go well until Flair unintentionally hits Flair causing the two rekindle their feud and brawl in the cage. Sting attempts peel Savage off Flair while Luger is left to keep the nWo at bay. The Giant, the nWo's fourth man comes down to the ring, choke slams Flair, followed by a figure four from Michaels for the pin. The nWo takes advantage of the Savage and Flair fight to win War Games and grant HHH a contract as a stipulation. As the cages are raised HHH joins the nWo in the ring to beat down the fallen WCW stars. Michaels continues to hold the figure four on Flair as the Horsemen come to the ring, but are beat back. The Dungeon of Doom also comes down to attack the traitor Giant, but are also repelled. Unable to cooperate, the PPV ends with the Dungeon, Horsemen, NWO, and WCW attacking one another. Sting is not seen after War Games.

The NWO adds Syxx to their group and Rick Rude as their manager on the following Nitro. Flair and Savage each blame one another for WCW losing and are set to wrestle the same night with Flair defending his US title against Savage. Savage comes to the ring and waits on Flair who is later shown laid out along with the rest of the Horsemen in the backstage area. Elizabeth, Flair's manager, is shown crying in the crown, with her dress torn given the illusion she had been assaulted. Savage rushes to her aid and an nWo ambush. NWO lay Savage out and spray paint him setting up a match between Michaels and Savage at Halloween Havoc. Michaels defeats Savage at Havoc after the Giant choke slams him outside the ring and rolls in for a pin. The NWO again come to the ring to assault Savage. Just then Hogan appears at the entrance way on his Harley, he rides to the ring and circles around it with a chain in hand before coming to the ring and clearing the nWo out and saving his long time friend Savage.

Savage is sidelined with an injury and Hogan continues to feud with the NWO. War Games rolls around and Hogan manages to eliminate a ring of Horsemen followed by the NWO to win after body slamming the Giant over the top rope, thus earning a title shot at Starrcade 96.

There is a definite aura that the Hulkster will be the one to defeat the nWo. Hogan knows the nWo will try and interfere with his match against Michaels at Starrcade. With Savage gone, and Sting MIA, Hogan calls out Flair and the Horsemen to have his back at Starrcade as an unlikely ally. Initially refusing, the horsemen save Hogan from a nWo beat down on Nitro solidifying their alliance. Michaels is the aggressor at Starrcade, and accidently super kicks the referee. Hogan begins to Hulk up when the nWo come to the ring to interfere. Hogan manages to fend them off for some time, but is eventually overwhelmed. Flair comes to the ring with his brass knuckles and fellow Horsemen. A standoff ensues between the 6 members of the nWo, Horsemen and recovering Hogan. Just as Hogan gets up and the group gets ready to square off, Flair turns and nails Hogan with the hand protector knocking him out. The Horsemen then leave the ring and Michaels makes the cover for a 3 count. As the nWo celebrate over Hogan, Sting is seen for the first time in the rafters sporting his crow attire.

The next night on Nitro, Flair revealed that Michaels offered him at a title shot at Souled Out if he would betray Hogan and as much as he wanted to get rid of the nWo, he hated Hogan and always has. This leads to a feud between the Horsemen and nWo which ends with several gang style brawls each night on Nitro. Hogan is not seen for the duration of the month. At Souled Out Michaels appears to be dominating the match until Flair manages to hit him with him with brass knuckles, the nWo and Horsemen come to ringside and brawl. Flair slaps the figure four on HBK, until Hogan donned in a darker biker-style attire comes to the ring with chair in hand. Flair looks on in shock as Hogan goes to the ropes and leg drops Michaels while Flair holds him in the Figure Four. In a double turn, Hogan then levels Flair with the chair and places Michaels on him for the pinfall. Savage then sprints to the ring dressed in similar attire as Hogan with a chair in hand and begins leveling the Horsemen and nWo with chair shots as Hogan does the same. Michaels manages to narrowly escape and Sting again looks on at the fighting below from the rafters.

Hogan and Savage now have a more edgier anti-hero gimmick and set their sights on a feud with the Horsemen. HBK gloats that the nWo have divided and conquered WCW. The Harlem Heat joins the nWo.

At this point in the storyline you could start working in different challengers like Piper, Luger, and possibly the Ultimate Warrior who wasn't doing anything at this time. Sting begins coming to the rescue of wCw stars from nWo attackers. At Fall Brawl, Savage, Warrior, Hogan, and Luger are slated to wrestle against the HHH, HBK, Hall and Nash. Luger is laid out backstage and the NWO comes to the ring and locks the cage doors with lock and chain. Savage, Hogan, and Warrior are left to fight 3 vs 4 in the cage until Sting drops from the rafters on the war games cell with bolt cutters and clips through the top of the cage joining WCW as the 4th man. Clears out the nWo and the ascends back into the rafters as WCW scores the win. At Fall Brawl there are only 59 entrants that come to the ring. The NWO manage to eliminate all the WCW competitors and celebrate as they plan letting Michaels skate out of a title defense at Starrcade when Sting comes to the ring with bat in hand as the 60th man. Sting eliminates the nWo members and earns the title shot.

Of course at Starrcade, Sting defeats Michaels in a ICON vs ICON match to win the title and end the nWo storyline.

it wouldn't have worked. Hogan would have been the hero to take them out, likely stopping the nWos momentum before it could really start.

I don't think it would have had anywhere near the same impact, Hogan turning heel and joining the NWO and NWO attempting to take over was one of the biggest wrestling storylines of all time, HBK would of had a bit of an impact but I think it would just have ended up a WCW version of the clique and would have been defeated quicker and wouldn't have had the same longevity, Sting vs HBK would have been an awesome match though and one of the dream matches we never got to see.

It could have worked but eventually Hogan would have to turn to really make it work. But if booked correctly I think it may have worked even better.

I would've had HBK be the 3rd guy at Bash at the Beach, being a WWE guy everybody would have bought into the fact that they were invading WCW.

I would've kept Hogan off TV all summer, and continue to have the big 3 taunt and terrorize WCW all summer. Then in the fall have Hogan appear and challenge HBK, Hall and Nash to a winner take all match.(Similar to what they did at Survivor Series 2001) It would be Hogan, Sting and Flair vs. them 3, if Hogan and them won the "Outsiders" would have to go back to WWF, if they lost then they would have control of WCW.

Then in that match I would have Hogan turn and side with the Outsiders. And afterwards talk about how he made WWF and he was "WWF for life". That would really sell in the fact that it was an invasion. The WCW crowd would absolutely hate it and it would draw nuclear heat!

I standby Michaels coming over with the WWF championship as a the third man at Bash of the Beach and then beating the Giant to hold both titles would have elevated him at least somewhere close to Hogan's level at the time. Remember by late 95 and early 96, WCW fans were largely apathetic to Hogan and he was even being booed. Michaels clearly had the ego and arrogance to pull of the lead role in the nWo, just look at what he was doing in DX.

Hogan did a great job with the nWo in 96. It was underhanded and gritty. By 97 though his character became a lot more flamboyant and he lost a lot of the attitude he had initially.

I think everyone with a bit of a brain new it was going to be Hogan. His disappearance for a while. All the clues. Then him coming to the ring late, I knew right then it was Hogan.

I think it could have been done better actually. Hogan should have been on team WCW from the start then turned mid-match.

It was still a classic moment, but I do believe it was obvious.

If Shawn had gone over - he would have died... Pure and simple.

With the guaranteed money, the stupidly light schedule and the attitude he had at the time and his two partners in crime around him, he would have quickly descended into a bigger abyss than he did in the WWF. Shawn was just 2 years later, completely messed up as an individual, add WCW's craziness to the mix, more money than he could spend and a harder party culture than the WWF and Shawn dies around the time Pillman does if not sooner. Arguably it was only having guys like Hunter and Vince who kept him from it as it was. In WCW he'd have been quickly marginalized by Hogan and his crew, they'd respect Hall and Nash for their size but not Shawn. He'd have likely gotten hurt more/self medicated more and bear in mind he was getting in fights with Marines in the WWF, only getting out of it cos of guys like Davey... In WCW, fewer people would have had his back when he got in trouble.

I think even he would acknowledge that going to WCW would have been the worst move for him.

I like the storyline you laid out. Michaels coming over as an undefeated WWf champion would have been huge. I do think the Hogan heel turn had the bigger impact and was the better bet. The thing I like most about the storyline was the Michaels/Flair matches we could have witnessed.

I'm not sure how much an edgier hogan face character would work. He was getting booed regularly in 96 and I think the heel turn was needed.

That being said, if we had the Kliq as the NWO vs WCW, I would have enjoyed it. The biggest impact of Michaels leaving in 96 would have been where it left the WWF. Michaels carried th company on his back in 96, hall and Nash left, Bret was filming his tv show, Yoko/Warrior were shells of their former selves, Austin/Rock/foley/H were not main event ready. Many have said how valuable Shawn was to the company during that time, including those that didn't care for him personally.

I think everyone with a bit of a brain new it was going to be Hogan. His disappearance for a while. All the clues. Then him coming to the ring late, I knew right then it was Hogan.

I think it could have been done better actually. Hogan should have been on team WCW from the start then turned mid-match.

It was still a classic moment, but I do believe it was obvious.

Obvious? I think it was one of the least obvious things they ever done, When you say all the clues which clues do you mean?

Obvious? I think it was one of the least obvious things they ever done, When you say all the clues which clues do you mean?

I don't believe it was that obvious either. Just because Hogan hadn't been present, doesn't mean that he was going to be the third man. I think most expected Hogan to lead the fight against the nWo the way he had against the Dungeon of Doom.

I don't think it would have had anywhere near the same impact, Hogan turning heel and joining the NWO and NWO attempting to take over was one of the biggest wrestling storylines of all time, HBK would of had a bit of an impact but I think it would just have ended up a WCW version of the clique and would have been defeated quicker and wouldn't have had the same longevity, Sting vs HBK would have been an awesome match though and one of the dream matches we never got to see.

I agree completely. Hulk Hogan turning heel was the best heel turn ever done and it'll be awhile until somebody thinks up something that perfect again. HBK would've been great, but not the same impact as the Hulkster turning Hollywood.
Plus I can't imagine adding yet another over the top ego to that locker room, it was already boiling over. HBKs ego would have flooded it at that time, especially with Hogan and Nash pulling strings in the back.

No, Shawn vs Marty was the best ever done... Hogan runs a close second but it was ruined by Heenan telegraphing it inadvertantly... The superkick/window combo launched years of solo success. Hogan's heel turn lasted barely 3 and ultimately sank the company.

No, Shawn vs Marty was the best ever done... Hogan runs a close second but it was ruined by Heenan telegraphing it inadvertantly... The superkick/window combo launched years of solo success. Hogan's heel turn lasted barely 3 and ultimately sank the company.

lol yeah, because HBKs turn shocked the wrestling world and ushered in the greatest boom period wrestling has ever seen right?? Also Hollywood Hogan is definitely in the top 3 greatest heels of all time with Flair and McMahon, Shawn doesn't even come close to that.

I don't agree but it was a good heel turn for HBK to be born. One of the best for sure, but not quite the same level as Hogan / Hollywood NWO.

Bobby Heenen after Marty went through the glass, "He was tryin to run away from him and jumped through the glass!".

I think he meant the execution of the Shawn/Marty angle was the best,Not the impact of Shawn/Marty breaking up having a bigger impact on the business. While Shawn/Marty is one of my favorites, Bret/Austin at WM13 was the most well executed turn ever.

Shawn/Marty was done perfectly. Very edgy for its time. Element of surprise in there with Shawn turning right when you thought they were going to stay together. It did launch one of the best careers ever. But at the end of the day, it was just an upper mid card tag team breaking up.

Hogans heel turn was the exact opposite. The exectuion of the turn wasn't anything out of the ordinary. But, the biggest face in the history of pro wrestling, who will never turn heel......just turned heel. That's what made it so special. That's why even though Shawn being the 3rd member would have been huge, it just can't compare to Hogans turn simply because it was Hogan.

Hogan's turn was a stunt, a successful one I grant you but ultimately it was a stunt/ratings grab and as soon as the wind changed he was back to the "old" Hogan.

Shawn's turn was a shocker, violent and edgy that PERMANENTLY altered the course of his career and ultimately the business. Remember there was no plan to make Bret champ at that time or for "smaller guys" to become the top guys. Shawn was the first one to FORCE his way there and it was in no small part to the character that was born in that turn on Marty. Hogan was a former heel who went heel again after a long time... Shawn had been exclusively face his whole career... it was really shocking and yes, better executed than almost any turn since...

To reiterate, I don't think Michaels' being the third man would have been AS successful as Hogan, I just think it would have worked. Michaels was clearly capable of cutting edgy and cocky promos as we saw just a year later in 97, he was leagues better in the ring than Hogan, and maybe even on the microphone as a heel. The real game changer would have been Michaels coming over with the WWF championship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back