What if John Cena wasn't injured?

LSN80

King Of The Ring
For argument's sake, let's assume that a healthy John Cena would still have lost to Daniel Bryan for the WWE Title, and the aftermath was the same. Daniel Bryan was celebrating his huge win, HHH pedigree, and Orton's your new champion. In 2011, the night after Summerslam and the Kevin Nash run-in/Del Rio cash-in, Cena and CM Punk squared off in a No. 1 Contender's match. Cena won the match and the right to face Del Rio at the next PPV. Again, for arguments sake, let's say Bryan and Cena had a No. 1 Contender's match, and Bryan defeated Cena once again. In doing so, Cena would be out of the championship picture.

Where would he fit in the current feud?

It's hard to picture him as just another babyface on the stage, emasculated by HHH and the McMahon's with the threat of being fired. Cena's character has been so consistent in doing the 'right thing', regardless of the consequences. The best example of this was when he was the referee in the "Free or Fired" match, between Orton and Wade Barrett, which ultimately lead to his firing.(For a week, anyways)

My guess would be this: He would be playing the Big Show role, one where he felt conflicted, but front and center both in support of Bryan and also critical of HHH and his regime. But would John Cena truly deliver an AA to Daniel Bryan if threatened to? If it was his job on the line, would he hold Daniel Bryan up for Randy Orton to RKO him?

I can't see it happening.

The biggest issue here would be how to balance Cena's role in the power struggle without overshadowing Daniel Bryan. WWE has struck gold with Daniel Bryan in the almost universal support he's receiving, and while he's not going to challenge Cena as the "face" of the company, he's in the unique position to become 1b to Cena's 1a. So with a healthy John Cena, one who would undoubtably be involved in the central storyline, how could WWE successfully use Cena here without hurting Bryan's momentum?

I'm admittedly a John Cena mark, he being my favorite wrestler. But it just may be a blessing in disguise for the WWE in general that Cena is hurt. Don't get me wrong: It's never a good thing for WWE to be without their top star for a lengthy period of time. But in the interim, they have the opportunity to truly develop another top star in Daniel Bryan, and I'm not sure how they'd do it with Cena in the picture. If Bryan did beat Cena twice (Summerslam, No. 1 Contender's match on Raw), that would be one heck of a start. But because of Cena's status as the face of the company and being far and away the top guy, it's hard for me to picture how they'd pull it out.

So help me out, guys and gals, because this gent doesn't have the answer.

Presuming John Cena was healthy, what role would you see him currently playing in the "Best For Business" storyline?

How could they book Cena so as to not overshadow Bryan if Cena too was involved in the top storyline?

Given Cena's character, is there way they could keep him out of the storyline altogether? Given the current feuds going, is there something else they could do to occupy him?

You guys know the drill. Thoughts and discussion on the topic are welcome, don't feel boxed in by the questions. Have fun with this one.

I don't think the story would be happening.

Here's the problem with Cena and bringing up new stars: Cena, by no fault of his own, eclipses any other star. Cena is so far and away ahead of others on the roster that people can't get to his level. The same thing happened with Austin in 1998/9. Austin was such a big deal that no one could reach his level because everyone was focusing on Stone Cold. Austin goes away for nearly a year, Rock rises to the top. Punk is the second biggest star in the company but he's still a far cry from Cena.

Bryan was definitely on a roll, but there's a limit to how high you can get when Cena is around. Now Bryan is currently the most popular guy around, but what happens when Cena comes back? At the end of the day, Cena is the star. He's a proven commodity, a proven draw, and one of the biggest names ever. Bryan hasn't shown he has a single bit of lasting power yet, though he might.

Also, how do you push Orton over Cena as what's being best for business? WWE has thrived with Cena as the face of the company for years now, so it's either push Cena as the corporate guy (not happening) or have the real life COO say that the company has sucked for the last eight years.

I don't think the story would have happened with Cena around.

By doing the same as they have done with Punk recently. Punk also seems like a perfect candidate for going against the machine and supporting Bryan, but he isn't. They could give Cena a personal rivalry with someone, something that is distracting him from the injustices going on to Daniel Bryan. They could even throw him into a rivalry for the WHC title, have Del Rio insult Cena in some way. It would have added to the prestige of the failing WHC title to even have Cena chase it for a while. So basically I wouldn't really picture him in the "Best for Business" storyline at all.

Lets assume he had to be involved in the story, mostly so I can answer your question. No one would ever believe that Cena is broke, nor would anyone believe that Cena would actually be fired (it didn't work last time). Basically I would picture Cena getting beaten down as well, but not always centre stage. Have a camera man discover Cena out on the ground etc. Have Triple H say something like "If you interfere in this match I will fire this superstar" some friend of Cena's. Cena only does the right thing if it is sacrificing himself, he wouldn't sacrifice someone else's career to save Bryan. But I think my first option is far more likely if Cena were around, but if he had to be involved HHH would have to be pushing Cena down like he does with Bryan. They would just have to make sure Bryan's beatdowns take centre stage.

Lord_Frish summed up what I was going to say. The only way to keep Cena from saving Bryan would be to threaten him with someone else's career. They'd have to build some quickie relationship between Cena and someone else to make us believe that Cena would sit back and watch Bryan be destroyed in order to save another man or woman's career. You can't do what Punk is doing because it's just not in Cena's nature to stand by and let someone get assaulted every week. I mean the guy is Superman and I don't mean that in a negative way at all.

Now instead of admitting injury they could have "Fired" Cena for helping DB. Then DB would gain sympathy from Cena's fans and maybe help get some of DB's fans behind Cena by crusading to get him back. But that's a different subject all together.

I don;t agree with you Lucic Seguin Neely 80. John Cena always does the right thing as we learned in his feud with Nexus. When he was ref for the match he called it straight down the line. I think he would be more of a ziggler. Matches with the shield

I think if they threatened Cena with having the Bella's (his and Bryan's real life girlfriends) fired if he interferes it would keep him in check and tie in well with Total Diva's.

I don't think the story would be happening.

Here's the problem with Cena and bringing up new stars: Cena, by no fault of his own, eclipses any other star. Cena is so far and away ahead of others on the roster that people can't get to his level. The same thing happened with Austin in 1998/9. Austin was such a big deal that no one could reach his level because everyone was focusing on Stone Cold. Austin goes away for nearly a year, Rock rises to the top. Punk is the second biggest star in the company but he's still a far cry from Cena.

Bryan was definitely on a roll, but there's a limit to how high you can get when Cena is around. Now Bryan is currently the most popular guy around, but what happens when Cena comes back? At the end of the day, Cena is the star. He's a proven commodity, a proven draw, and one of the biggest names ever. Bryan hasn't shown he has a single bit of lasting power yet, though he might.

Also, how do you push Orton over Cena as what's being best for business? WWE has thrived with Cena as the face of the company for years now, so it's either push Cena as the corporate guy (not happening) or have the real life COO say that the company has sucked for the last eight years.

I don't think the story would have happened with Cena around.

This how I would like to see things go.

Maybe, leading to Wrestlemania, Orton should still be the face of WWE, according to the Corporation.

John Cena comes back, but is told by Triple H that, indeed, it was a mistake making Cena the face of WWE for the last 8 years. But that was on Vince's watch, whereas Triple H runs things now (this would bring him in conflict with both Cena and Vince McMahon). So, Cena's position as top dog is now gone under the Helmsley regime. This would lead to Cena v Orton at Wrestlemania 30 (I know it has been done before, but never at Mania, and since Taker may be fighting Lesnar, Cena needs another opponent).

So, what about Daniel Bryan? Well, he would get revenge at Wrestlemania by fighting none other than Triple H himself.

I really think it would be almost impossible to do this storyline if John Cena was healthy. How is Triple H going to blackmail Cena? I can't imagine Triple H firing WWE's top guy and I can't imagine Cena being scared of Triple H's threats because Cena has millions of dollars. Plus, Cena always does the right thing even if it will cost him his job.

There's only two ways having Cena in this storyline I think:

1. Cena turns heel.

2. Triple H somehow finds a way to hurt Cena by hurting someone Cena cares about. Cena could say, "I'm not going to let you continue to bully Daniel. We all know you're not going to fire me and even if you do fire me, I'd rather get fired than do nothing about what's going on." And then Triple H can say, "You're right...I'm not going to fire you, but I will fire your girlfriend Nikki Bella if you attack The Shield or Randy Orton." So Cena doesn't do anything because he doesn't want Nikki to lose her job.

They could give Cena a personal rivalry with someone, something that is distracting him from the injustices going on to Daniel Bryan.

That would be hard to do because Orton and Bryan are fighting over the title Cena lost. Why would Cena not get a rematch?

Presuming John Cena was healthy, what role would you see him currently playing in the "Best For Business" storyline?

Kayfabe injured. I can't think of any other way for Cena to play a vital role in this without taking the spotlight off of Daniel Bryan.

Have him come to Daniel Bryan's rescue but to no avail against the Regime, making them an even bigger threat than they pose right now.

How could they book Cena so as to not overshadow Bryan if Cena too was involved in the top storyline?

During the night after Summerslam, give John Cena the same ultimatum that Triple H gave Daniel Bryan. Of course with John Cena being Cena, he would never do what 'H says, so The Regime in their entirety gang up on Cena and Bryan, but moreso on Cena to "make an example out of".

He would be playing a "Hero's Sacrifice" role. One that fans will instantly pick up on and make them root for him and Daniel Bryan more.

Given Cena's character, is there way they could keep him out of the storyline altogether? Given the current feuds going, is there something else they could do to occupy him?

There is no other way I can see Cena not involved unless he was injured/kayfabe injured. They could now and again run the clip of John Cena falling to the power of Triple H's management, and maybe a message to fans via satellite.

And can you imagine how much heat The Regime would get, compared to now?

It's difficult to think of Cena not being booked as the front guy in this angle if he wasn't injured. We often hear the term "Super Cena" applied to him and while it's become a highly overused metaphor, in this particular case, it's kinda true. If John Cena was a superhero, he'd be Superman and it's virtually impossible for Superman to not be written as THE top guy in a major storyline.

When I look at this angle, I'm thinking that it might not even be taking place if Cena was healthy and still in the thick of things. After all, we've seen John Cena in this sort of situation before in which he's going up against the powers that be and it doesn't feel particularly fresh. I'm sure WWE keeps abreast of Cena's physical health at all times and I'd be willing to bet that Cena taking time off was planned very well in advance of SummerSlam. The last time John Cena took any significant time off from WWE, I mean any real time in which he wasn't even in the arena for the show, was back in 2008 just after his SummerSlam match with Batista, in which he suffered a herniated disk. Since Cena's return, he's worked hurt and pushed himself really hard without taking any significant time off to rest up. John Cena's still a really young guy all in all at 36 years of age but, as I said, he's someone whose worked hurt almost nonstop for most of the past decade and that sort of wear & tear is bound to take its toll. As a result, maybe he'd planned on taking time off after SummerSlam whether he was injured or not in order to allow himself to be well rested for WrestleMania season. Maybe the elbow injury happened to be something of a coincidence that provided a convenient & legit justification for Cena taking an extended leave.

If Cena was still in the midst of things, I don't think this angle would even be happening. I think that there's still a real chance in which Daniel Bryan would still be given a main event push, only I think that he probably would have won the WWE Championship MITB case as a means of ultimately having a match with Cena for SummerSlam, which was reportedly the original idea for Bryan. Whether or not Bryan would have been booked to win is completely up in the air. Whether he won or lost, I think he & Cena would have continued on with something of a friendly rivalry that further degenerated into a personal grudge. WWE would, in my opinion, toy with the notion of turning Bryan heel over the course of this feud but, again in my opinion, I think it would've been a big mistake. In my eyes, keep both guys face or make Bryan into a full blown tweener or use the feud to turn Cena heel with Cena observing that the fans have "turned" on him and cast him aside to support Bryan. Unfortunately, I think WWE would try and go the route of turning Bryan heel and I think there's a real possibility of a Cena vs. Bryan feud happening in 2014 that goes exactly down that road.

I couldn't see him being a part of this storyline at all. Bryan is the face who will stand up to the corporation, that role is already filled and it's the only one Cena could logically be in. He is the type to never give up or be pushed around. Cena wouldn't be in the position that Big Show is in. Instead he would give Trips an Attitude Adjustment and claim THAT is what's "best for business".

They couldn't. This needs to remain between Bryan and Orton. Cena would only fit into this storyline if he were in Bryan's spot. I honestly cannot think of any other place in this storyline that Cena would be able to fit into.

Here is where it gets interesting. John Cena if he were not injured does not have to challenge for the WWE Championship. Let the Bryan VS Orton "Best for business" angle play out as is. If Cena were not injured during this time he could be challenging for the World Heavyweight Championship and help make that belt seem important again. That would mean we would be seeing John Cena VS Alberto Del Rio at Night of Champions instead of RVD being the challenger. Cena defeats Alberto at either Night of Champions or Hell In a Cell but then Sandow still has his briefcase, he cashes in and suddenly a new feud begins. Cena VS Sandow. By the time this feud too has ended, the "best for business" angle should be over. Then we can have Bryan VS Orton VS Cena in a triple threat for the WWE Championship at TLC. Then it's Royal Rumble time and we'd be off to Wrestlemania. That's how I'd book Cena for the next few months if he was not injured at this time.

KB got in on the mark. This story wouldn't at all be where it is today if Cena were still around. Cena being the top guy puts a strong threat on what Triple H is supposed to be established as. It damages his credibility. Right now, Triple H is in total domination mode. He's going through talent left and right and squashing insects as much as he can. In this kind of scenario, Bryan alone is probably the only person to fit the superhero needed for this Hail to the King takeover.

With Cena on board, the feud is more even. Orton is not credible against Cena the way he is to Bryan. On Bryan, this feud holds excitement and suspense. On Cena, it's same old same old, not as interesting.

I honestly believe that Big Show was 3rd choice for this role he is currently playing.

If Cena was fit and healthy, he would be the one Triple H is blackmailing and forcing him to do things he doesn't want too. I dare say that Sheamus would have being the next choice, and out of the 3, Sheamus would be perfect for this role. A big strong dude, has morals etc...

I dont like Big Show in this role. His crying like a baby is tedious, and this is a monster who only a few months ago was wrecking havok in WWE. It simply isn't believable and smacks of desperation.

A great angle though!!!!!!!

I think instead of HHH and Steph ordering the locker room (especially Big Show) to stay away you'd have Bryan telling Cena to stay away and Cena being conflicted about seeing DB get his ass handed to him yet having to keep his promise.

However that leaves Cena without a match of his own. The only money option on the current competing roster I see outside of Orton, Bryan, or Punk is for Cena to have to relive One Night Stand and face RVD. Not a huge feud by any means but a match that feels new to some and others remember very well. It's not hard to find another competitor for Del Rio.

Cena vs RVD is the way I would go for this one off B-level PPV.

I think instead of HHH and Steph ordering the locker room (especially Big Show) to stay away you'd have Bryan telling Cena to stay away and Cena being conflicted about seeing DB get his ass handed to him yet having to keep his promise.

However that leaves Cena without a match of his own. The only money option on the current competing roster I see outside of Orton, Bryan, or Punk is for Cena to have to relive One Night Stand and face RVD. Not a huge feud by any means but a match that feels new to some and others remember very well. It's not hard to find another competitor for Del Rio.

Cena vs RVD is the way I would go for this one off B-level PPV.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Cena would have gotten his rematch and NOC would be a triple threat - Orton (c) vs Bryan vs Cena. At worst he would have being the special guest referee who had to call it down the middle or his job was on the line.

Cena vs RVD makes very little sense. Cena would well and truly be involved in this huge angle currently taking place!!!

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Cena would have gotten his rematch and NOC would be a triple threat - Orton (c) vs Bryan vs Cena. At worst he would have being the special guest referee who had to call it down the middle or his job was on the line.

Cena vs RVD makes very little sense. Cena would well and truly be involved in this huge angle currently taking place!!!

If they wanted Cena to be the ref he could go out there right now and ref with one arm.

We are beginning the age of a "best for business" HHH. HHH has picked his corporate champion in Orton. Now by your logic, despite HHH's desire to keep Orton the face and champion of WWE, he stacks the deck against Orton by having him face not just Cena, but Cena and Bryan. Maybe you should stop banging your head so much?

On top of all this there is still money to be made by reliving Orton/Cena. Putting them together in a triple threat makes the inevitable feud less intriguing. It also takes away from the hottest guy in the business right now in Bryan.

Tell me again why your idea makes sense.

Maybe in a few years we will look back and say that Cena's injury was a blessing. I'm a Cena fan but I don't think there is an obvious place for Cena in this storyline. Obviously, things can change to suit the company's biggest star but this seems to be the perfect storyline: the underdog vs the company guy. There is no way that Cena could fill the Bryan role, he is far too big for the Big Show role. It would be completely different.

Maybe HHH doesn't turn heel. Maybe Orton doesn't cash in. It is difficult to say but I think there would have been a change right from the beginning. I still think that Orton cashes in but he would then feud with Cena for the title. They would probably take their time building HHH as the heel figure, possibly facing Bryan at NoC.

They would obviously alter the storyline to suit HHH and it would probably have meant that Bryan would be kept away from the WWE title picture for a month or two.

If John Cena was not injured and therefore not on the shelf for a significant period of time, there's really no way this storyline could unfold exactly the way it has involving the same cast of characters, for all of the reasons previously suggested. There is one way, though, that a very similar storyline could play out, but unfortunately it's near blasphemy on here to suggest it.

Daniel Bryan defeats John Cena at Summerslam. Crowd erupts. Randy Orton comes out to redeem his red briefcase, but not as an overt heel. Daniel Bryan retains the title as Orton is unsuccessful. Crowd erupts even more and the evening conifers with Bryan in jubilation.

The next night on RAW, Cena comes to the ring to supposedly congratulate Bryan, and it finally happens, the John Cena heel turn. Cena aligns himself with the Helmsley/McMahon power structure. After all, Triple H could feel its better for business. And Cena is frustrated and lashes out due to years of mixed reactions and a lack of appreciation and respect. Cena gets his rematch at NoC and takes the title back from Bryan. And we are exposed to months of what we have now anyway. Daniel Bryan as the underdog, going against the heel corporation, except with Cena there instead of Orton. I think Daniel Bryan against overwhelming odds, only to eventually defeat heel Cena, could work. And once Bryan is a fixture as a top guy, they can have Cena later realize the error of his ways and turn him back.

Granted there are certain aspects of a lack of logic here, but that can be said about absolutely any storyline, including the one currently ongoing.

As big a John Cena mark as you think you are, you don't hold a candle to the McMahons. Specifically, Stephanie McMahon.

John Cena the person doesn't really have any choice these days, if he's on the show he has to come across as benevolent and graceful. If John is on the program, the McMahons will come up with something to make his presence relevant (or they'll just steal a wrestling angle from fifteen years ago).

Putting my creative mojo to work, here goes nothing. So John stays on the show, and Randy Orton is now the champion. I imagine that the next raw would begin with a promo where John explains that he still has his rematch and that he wants it tonight, Daniel Bryan's music hits. Daniel Bryan comes into the ring and after a few moments of a face off, slaps John Cena. John has a look of frustration, but nods and extends his hand. Daniel Bryan shakes his hand and says to John, without a microphone while they're still shaking hands, you proved to me that you are a wrestler. A verbal exchange between them, and perhaps a McMahon or HHH interrupting with their two cents, sets up a main event for that night's Raw where Daniel Bryan faces John Cena for the number one contender spot. In the back area Big Show is conducting an interview and Randy Orton interrupts, Randy proceeds to chastise Big Show on his lack of accomplishments and physical demeanor. Near the end of the main event, it looks as though Daniel Bryan is about to hit his new finisher. Randy Orton runs down to the ring and hits Daniel Bryan with the belt only to hit Cena with the belt as well. Big Show runs to the ring and spears Randy Orton. Big Show readies his fist and appeals to the crowd, HHH's music hits and he gives Big Show the same spiel regarding his career and family. Big Show is distracted and receives an RKO. Randy raises the belt while HHH claps.

The next Raw involves Cena scrounging the locker rooms for HHH or any McMahon, they've all taken a day off and left Brad Maddox to handle things. Brad evetually finds himself being stared down by Big Show, Cena and Bryan. Brad swears that he'll go to the ring and make everything better. Brad announces that there will be a triple threat match that night to determine the number one contender for the belt, and that Randy Orton will be stripped of his title if he interferes. The Shield take out one of them, doesn't really matter who.

I figure that's enough speculating. Just saying, it's not a question of could the show go on if John Cena were still involved, it's an absolute certainty that it will go on especially if John Cena is involved.

This storyline wouldn't have worked with Cena still around. I think that we would be seeing him in a similar role as Big Show, but could anyone see Cena just watching and not doing what's right. It would put creative in a tough situation. People can suspend disbelief in regards to Cody being fired or maybe Show in the near future. But no one would buy Cena being fired, it definitely would not be good for business. Also, Cena's character could not pull a Punk and just ignore the situation. My guess is that WWE would have kept the power struggle angle further away from the title picture. We'd see a three way feud between Cena, Bryan, and Orton much like the Cena, Punk, del Rio feud, with Triple H vs Vince taking a different route. Hate to wish injury on anyone but this storyline has the potential to create a few stars, something that is much needed.

This isn't an easy question to answer at all. I think it's fair to say that WWE management have known that John Cena would be leaving after Summerslam in the weeks beforehand, and this has led to the current story line. Who knows, if John Cena wasn't taking time off, this "Corporation" storyline may have gone in a different direction.

But to address your question, I think Cena could've possibly have had a similar role that Big Show has right now. He would've tried to defend Bryan, but HHH would've come up with a stipulation of some sorts, eg:- If Cena interferes, Nikki Bella gets fired or something along the lines of that. But it really is hard to speculate. No doubt Cena would've played a major role in this storyline, hell, if he wasn't injured, he might've taken Bryan's role as the major face. But as I alluded to earlier, all we can do is speculate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back