• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What I see in drew Mcintyre....

Mr. Artistic guy

Better Off This Way
Ok I'll keep this fairly short because there really isn''t too much to say about it but. I will admit that drew mcintyre doesn't sound in the least bit threatening or intimidating, his mic skills are way wau under par and he doesn't change much and has gotten himself stuck in a spot.

But honestly since th guy debuted, I have been a mark for him. And it isn't because he was a great in-ring guy either, he is certainly good in the ring, more than enough to get by but thats neither here nor there.

My first impression when drew mcintyre kicked R-Truth's head off when he tried to enter the ring was, this is what guys need to do. Basically what sheamus did on raw except in a different way, destroy people til someone notices. The second week when R-truth was backstage talking about it thinking he was just going to go out and settle thing in the ring..BOOM there comes mcintyre and kicks his head off. That is how you should make a name for yourself.

Mcintyre to me symbollises something to me, a benign remnant of attitude left behind but not a talking aspect, an I'm going to beat you into a bloody pulp with no hesitation aspect. He does something that I love to see from wrestlers which is have an in-ring personality, adapting a part of your character so you still have unique charicter IN the ring and not just outside it. Dolph ziggler does this when he gets frustrated when he can't win, randy orton naturally is the best example with his first pounding and short bursts of pent up emotion before he goes to the ground. Drew also capitilses on this. Just watch his match between himself and MVPP when he goes under the ring, watch his face as he comes back out again, he looks like a flaming lunatic.

Alot of good guys can't do this and it's a missed oppertunity. Low card guys and even some higher names like bryan and cena don't really have much in-ring personality unless you count the five-knuckle shuffle (hint: Don't count the five-knuckle shuffle). So yeah he isn't going to win promo of the year, ever. But he has something very raw and unique. When most heels win a match and leave the guy lying in the ring, drew mcintyre is stomping on your head (sorry matt had to be said) or breaking your arm on the ring post just to make a name for themselves. So here is where drew think deserves his place, because he is great as being aggressive.

And on top of that he has a kick-ass entrace and theme.

So does anyone see what I see, I'm just curious.

Ok I'll keep this fairly short because there really isn''t too much to say about it but. I will admit that drew mcintyre doesn't sound in the least bit threatening or intimidating, his mic skills are way wau under par and he doesn't change much and has gotten himself stuck in a spot.

But honestly since th guy debuted, I have been a mark for him. And it isn't because he was a great in-ring guy either, he is certainly good in the ring, more than enough to get by but thats neither here nor there.

My first impression when drew mcintyre kicked R-Truth's head off when he tried to enter the ring was, this is what guys need to do. Basically what sheamus did on raw except in a different way, destroy people til someone notices. The second week when R-truth was backstage talking about it thinking he was just going to go out and settle thing in the ring..BOOM there comes mcintyre and kicks his head off. That is how you should make a name for yourself..

He made a good first impression. It was at a time that Truth was relevant and somewhat popular, so McIntyre in essence did the same thing Desmond Wolfe did to Kurt Angle. In a poor man's way, Ill say. When you jump or attack someone backstage and beat them down before the match, you automatically make yourself noticed. This was a good start for Drew, Ill agree here.

Mcintyre to me symbollises something to me, a benign remnant of attitude left behind but not a talking aspect, an I'm going to beat you into a bloody pulp with no hesitation aspect. He does something that I love to see from wrestlers which is have an in-ring personality, adapting a part of your character so you still have unique charicter IN the ring and not just outside it. Dolph ziggler does this when he gets frustrated when he can't win, randy orton naturally is the best example with his first pounding and short bursts of pent up emotion before he goes to the ground. Drew also capitilses on this. Just watch his match between himself and MVPP when he goes under the ring, watch his face as he comes back out again, he looks like a flaming lunatic.

He looks like an out of control, rage-aholic who can't get his own way. While Ziggler sells frustration properly, McIntyre looks like a fool when he does it. it doesn't enhance his character in the slightest, it just makes him look like an ass. He's light years behind Randy Orton or even Dolph Ziggler when it comes to showing off his emotions in the ring,. Despite the way they show their emotions, Randy and Dolph are very poised about it. Drew isn't.

Alot of good guys can't do this and it's a missed oppertunity. Low card guys and even some high guys like bryan and cena don't really have much in-ring personality unless you count the five-knuckle shuffle (hint: Don't count the five-knuckle shuffle).

Are you freaking kidding me? Cena has the BEST in-ring personality of anyone in wrestling, hands down. Why DOESN'T the five knuckle shuffle count? Should we throw out the "You Can't See Me" as well? How about when he signals for the FU, or tightens his grip on the STF? He shows aggression and passion in every move he makes in the ring. Cena is the best in the business at translating his persona into the ring. Justify WHY the five knuckle shuffle doesn't count. Good answers aren't "He does it all the time"(Its apart of his reportoire and personality) and "I dont like it".(it still expresses his personality, immensely.)

So yeah he isn't going to win promo of the year, ever. But he has something very raw and unique. When most heels win a match and leave the guy lying in the ring, drew mcintyre is stomping on your head (sorry matt had to be said) or breaking your arm on the ring post just to make a name for themselves. So here is where drew think deserves his place, because he is great as being aggressive.

He's actually a careless bastard. He legitimately injured Hardy in the aforementioned stomp. If hurting people legitimately transfers to "good aggression" then yeah, Drew qualifies. Otherwise, he's just wreckless, and doesn't protect his opponent. You're right on one thing. He's incredibly RAW. That's not a good thing.

And on top of that he has a kick-ass entrace and theme.

I couldn't agree more. Shaman's Harvest is a badass band. I love the entrance video too. Its as unique as they come. Maybe the best in pro wrestling, outside of Kurt Angle.

So does anyone see what I see, I'm just curious.

Nah, there's a few reasons why his push has been halted.

He's not very good in the ring. He's improved marginally, but punches, kicks, irish whips and a ddt do not make a good talent.

His mic skills leave a lot to be desired. Unless he's belittling someone, he can't handle himself properly on the mic. The only thing he's able to project is rage. He has no composure whatsoever.

There's a reason his push has been halted. There's a reason he's no longer referneced as the "Chosen One." I just don't see much in the guy other then someone whose incredibly careless and lacks composure.

At least you see something in him. I can't even comprehend how he was given a storyline such as the chosen one. They guy bores me to death. He beat the hell out of Matt and R-Truth. Two guys who I really dislike and he still made me care shit about him. The guy above me is right. He does look like an idiot when he shows frustration in the ring and one one in the crowd even cares about it. Jack Swagger has more personality than him.

The reason his "push" has been halted is because he doesn't draw a good reaction. By good, I don't mean babyface reaction. He just doesn't look like he has the it factor. He should get a hair cut and hit the gym for some time. I'm not saying he should be HHH, but the guy's build is just weird. Same goes to Jack Swagger. In addition he fights too much like a brawler and that bores me to death because punching the hell out of your opponent now a days is stupid unless you are a main eventer and make it loo cool a la Stone Cold.

He made a good first impression. It was at a time that Truth was relevant and somewhat popular, so McIntyre in essence did the same thing Desmond Wolfe did to Kurt Angle. In a poor man's way, Ill say. When you jump or attack someone backstage and beat them down before the match, you automatically make yourself noticed. This was a good start for Drew, Ill agree here.

Firstly sorry it took so long to get back to ya, I didn't read my rep properly. Ok I've gotta say I disagree about R-truth. The guy hasn't been relevant since ha came back to the E for me. The only thing people really buzzed off was him shouting whats up and doing the splits, apart from that the only thing he may have had was a slightly bigger buzz because of being there for less time. But he still wasn't doing anything. For me drew's opening stunt would have worked on half the roster, even some heels like ziggler who weren't anywhere at the time.

LSN80 said:
He looks like an out of control, rage-aholic who can't get his own way. While Ziggler sells frustration properly, McIntyre looks like a fool when he does it. it doesn't enhance his character in the slightest, it just makes him look like an ass. He's light years behind Randy Orton or even Dolph Ziggler when it comes to showing off his emotions in the ring,. Despite the way they show their emotions, Randy and Dolph are very poised about it. Drew isn't.

Well this may just come down to personal opinion. I happen to believe he looks authentic psycho when you can see him starting to get pissed off. You could make a case that orton and ziggler are better at it, but I don't really think so. Orton may have pipped him because his in-ring character is so well developed and it looks great because orton's frustration is really pent up so when he's hyping the RKO it looks great but for me what is important is that drew has in-ring personality. Most guys don't or at least not to his level.

LSN80 said:
Are you freaking kidding me? Cena has the BEST in-ring personality of anyone in wrestling, hands down. Why DOESN'T the five knuckle shuffle count? Should we throw out the "You Can't See Me" as well? How about when he signals for the FU, or tightens his grip on the STF? He shows aggression and passion in every move he makes in the ring. Cena is the best in the business at translating his persona into the ring. Justify WHY the five knuckle shuffle doesn't count. Good answers aren't "He does it all the time"(Its apart of his reportoire and personality) and "I dont like it".(it still expresses his personality, immensely.)

For me a lot of in-ring character is shown through the moves you do in the ring. ie when flair flops from the corner or when hogan goes up for 10 punches but then bites the guys head, to me that says things about the character of the wrestler in the ring. Seen as cena isn't a good in ring technicial he has a lot of trouble doing this. When cena is getting beat on, he looks like any other guy or less because he just collapses and has an expretionless face. The five knuckle shuffle is arguably his more charasmatic move becuase it is a demonstration of his character just like the people's elbow was for the rock, but I just feel, and once again this may come under personal opinion, but he tends to delivere it really lack-lustre. Unlike how the rock would stare piercingly into the crowd and would put all of his force into the move, cena just has a little look around and puts no effort into the actual five knuckle part, and no effort transcribes to no personality, just as khali. I don't really give him the shuffle, I will give him the FU and the STFU. In retrospect cena was probably a bad example becuase he does have more in-ring charisma than most, but then again that is what you expect, he is john cena. That is why he is the top guy, he can read the crowd just like hogan can, and although there are more charasmatic guys, reading the crowd is a fucking useful ability.

LSN80 said:
He's actually a careless bastard. He legitimately injured Hardy in the aforementioned stomp. If hurting people legitimately transfers to "good aggression" then yeah, Drew qualifies. Otherwise, he's just wreckless, and doesn't protect his opponent. You're right on one thing. He's incredibly RAW. That's not a good thing.

OK well I dint know that, I dont condone him stomping on matt hardy's head....completely (I mean we'd all like to wouldn't we). But that is one OTT example from drew, there are plenty where he has maintained his opponents safety, looked aggressive and at times polished and not raw. OK so he might have to watch how far he goes, agreed.

I couldn't agree more. Shaman's Harvest is a badass band. I love the entrance video too. Its as unique as they come. Maybe the best in pro wrestling, outside of Kurt Angle.

Nah, there's a few reasons why his push has been halted.

LSN80 said:
He's not very good in the ring. He's improved marginally, but punches, kicks, irish whips and a ddt do not make a good talent.

Well that is where distinguishing the difference between a move set and being bad in the ring comes in. cena probably has a move pool equally as diverse as R-Truth's and although the guy clearly has little charisma, he is good in the ring. I believe its the same case with drew.

LSN80 said:
His mic skills leave a lot to be desired. Unless he's belittling someone, he can't handle himself properly on the mic. The only thing he's able to project is rage. He has no composure whatsoever.

I'd mark that as a good thing. If your trying to make a guy look uber aggressive, there isn't too much you have to add to his mic ability then have him seem like a rage-o-holic. That said, his voice is anti-climatic and drole and I have said I'm not a fan of him in that department. No way round it, not a good talker.

LSN80 said:
There's a reason his push has been halted. There's a reason he's no longer referneced as the "Chosen One." I just don't see much in the guy other then someone whose incredibly careless and lacks composure.

Thats not the complete reason. I mean few guys like sheamus and barrett go straight to the top because they are THAT good. If his push had been haulted completely because he was bad then, by the same rule, I guess sheamus too has been rusty recently. But I wouldn't put drew in the category witht those guys at all don't get me wrong. I don't think he's great or anything I just see more in him than the average guy. "I just don't see much in the guy other then someone whose incredibly careless and lacks composure." Funnily enough neither do I, and thats what I like about him.

First off, well said. You did an excellent job of laying out your points and perspective.

Firstly sorry it took so long to get back to ya, I didn't read my rep properly. Ok I've gotta say I disagree about R-truth. The guy hasn't been relevant since ha came back to the E for me. The only thing people really buzzed off was him shouting whats up and doing the splits, apart from that the only thing he may have had was a slightly bigger buzz because of being there for less time. But he still wasn't doing anything

I don't like Truth either, but he had recently been in the title hunt and went on to be in an Elimination Chamber. But I agree, terrible wrestler, terrible talker, awful theme music. He's been a 12 year old tattletale in The Cena/Barrett/Orton saga. Just when I thought I couldn't like him less, WWE went and did.

For me drew's opening stunt would have worked on half the roster, even some heels like ziggler who weren't anywhere at the time.

I don't know about this. In order to establish a villian, whether it be in wrestling, movies, or television, you have to create a sympathetic "protagonist" people care about. At the time, Truth was.

Well this may just come down to personal opinion. I happen to believe he looks authentic psycho when you can see him starting to get pissed off. You could make a case that Orton and Ziggler are better at it, but I don't really think so.

Certainly it does. All of what we say and do on here is personal opinion, right? :scratchchin: That being said, Orton's facial expressions and mannerisms are unmatched. Nobody gets over more with just his mannerisms in the ring then Orton. It's not close. I agree McIntyre looks psychotic, but then he gives normal, bland backstage promos. Fit the character, I ask.

Orton may have pipped him- is so well developed and it looks great because orton's frustration is really pent up so when he's hyping the RKO it looks great but for me what is important is that drew has in-ring personality. Most guys don't or at least not to his level. because his in-ring character.

Agreed. Orton is unmatched. It's not just when he's setting up for the RKO either. It's when he hits any of his signature moves such as the inverted backbreaker or the belly to belly suplex. Drew hasn't developed a moveset to feed off of yet is the problem.

For me a lot of in-ring character is shown through the moves you do in the ring. ie when flair flops from the corner or when hogan goes up for 10 punches but then bites the guys head, to me that says things about the character of the wrestler in the ring.

Yeah, those are ioconic signature moves. Just like when HBK did the backflip when being irish whipped into the turnbuckle. I haven't seen any evidence of Drew "owning" a move in the ring.

Seing as cena isn't a good in ring technicial he has a lot of trouble doing this. When cena is getting beat on, he looks like any other guy or less because he just collapses and has an expretionless face. The five knuckle shuffle is arguably his more charasmatic move becuase it is a demonstration of his character just like the people's elbow was for the rock, but I just feel, and once again this may come under personal opinion, but he tends to delivere it really lack-lustre. Unlike how the rock would stare piercingly into the crowd and would put all of his force into the move, cena just has a little look around and puts no effort into the actual five knuckle part, and no effort transcribes to no personality, just as khali. I don't really give him the shuffle, I will give him the FU and the STFU. In retrospect cena was probably a bad example becuase he does have more in-ring charisma than most, but then again that is what you expect, he is john cena. That is why he is the top guy, he can read the crowd just like hogan can, and although there are more charasmatic guys, reading the crowd is a fucking useful ability.

i disagree. Cena's put on a technical wrestling clinic as of late, especially when he's been in the ring with some of the younger wrestlers. He's improved leaps and bounds in that aspect, and has become a well rounded wrestler and performer. What Cena "owns" when he's in the ring is the "Never Give Up" attitude, which does translate in his facial expressions, especially when he's getting beat on. The best example of this I could give is Breaking Point last year, in his "I Quit" match against Orton. I'm a mark for storytelling and psychology in the ring, and Cena does this as well as anybody. Like you said, there's a reason he's the top draw and always elicits a strong crowd reaction, regardless of what it is.

In regards to the five knuckle shuffle part, that's where he incorporates the "You Can't See Me", which is where he often taunts his opponents. Its something he's taken "ownership" of, and elicits a strong response, good or bad.

OK well I dint know thatI dont condone him stomping on matt hardy's head....completely (I mean we'd all like to wouldn't we). But that is one OTT example from drew, there are plenty where he has maintained his opponents safety, looked aggressive and at times polished and not raw. OK so he might have to watch how far he goes, agreed.

Well, it's one of the reasons his push has been halted, is because he's been wreckless. Matt Hardy non-withstanding, you have to protect your opponents at all times. He's improved, Ill give him that, but he's far from polished in the ring.

Well that is where distinguishing the difference between a move set and being bad in the ring comes in. Cena probably has a move pool equally as diverse as R-Truth's and although the guy clearly has little charisma, he is good in the ring. I believe its the same case with drew.

I agree on the difference. Cena is as good in the ring as R-Truth is bad, and Truth is really, really bad. But it's hard to tell what Drew does or does not do well because he doesn't have any moves he "protects" as his own, other then the FSDDT. He just hasn't established any kind of moveset yet.

I'd mark that as a good thing. If your trying to make a guy look uber aggressive, there isn't too much you have to add to his mic ability then have him seem like a rage-o-holic. That said, his voice is anti-climatic and drole and I have said I'm not a fan of him in that department. No way round it, not a good talker.

Agreed.

Thats not the complete reason. I mean few guys like sheamus and barrett go straight to the top because they are THAT good. If his push had been haulted completely because he was bad then, by the same rule, I guess sheamus too has been rusty recently. But I wouldn't put drew in the category witht those guys at all don't get me wrong. I don't think he's great or anything I just see more in him than the average guy.

Barrett is brilliant on the mic, and has established enough of a moveset to be over. He's still raw in the ring, but he's brilliant on the mic. Sheamus isn't great on the mic, but he's good enough to get by on the combination of being both very good in the ring and on the mic. I agree, there is no comparison between Drew and those two.

"I just don't see much in the guy other then someone whose incredibly careless and lacks composure." Funnily enough neither do I, and thats what I like about him.

Interesting. Like you said, just a matter of personal opinion then here. Because those are the very same reasons I dislike him.

If you have read anything that I have written about Drew McIntyre before, you probably know that my answer to "what I see in Drew McIntyre" is absolutely nothing. In my opinion, he is the least talented worker in WWE. For one, he is rubbish in the ring. His move set is limited and he doesn't perform it well. As others have stated, it mostly consists of punches and kicks, stomps, a double under-hook DDT ("Future Shock") and hiding under the ring to pull his opponent into the frame. He doesn't do it convincingly either, and looks pretty dangerous. Not only did he legit injure Hardy, but if you watched his match with Kaval, the way he dumped Kaval into the barricade on his neck looked absolutely frightening. I was genuinely surprised that Kaval was not hurt.

In terms of personality and character, the "Chosen One" gimmick was the worst possible move that Creative could have pulled for the guy. He has so little going for him that being surrounded by that much hype worked against him in terms of getting him over, rather than if he had just been touted as "The Sinister Scotsman", as Striker calls him. He backs it up with totally unconvincing mic work that is poorly acted, boring and completely ordinary. When Sheamus debuted, he wasn't great on the mic either, but at least he looks intimidating, so his threats seemed at least somewhat credible, even if the words weren't always convincing. Drew might be tall, but he's not big, has a face that's too pretty to go with his supposedly rugged personality, and the long hair just doesn't work for him. Couple that with completely boring and generic ring gear and there's nothing about his look that makes him memorable.

For me, another huge thing to dislike about him is the way he sells frustration in the course of a match. I am glad that this was brought up, because it's something that has always bothered me about him. He doesn't look psychotic, he looks like he's trying to ACT as a rageful character and not doing a good job of it. The thing that I hate the most is that whenever he gets a two-count, he screams and has this "I just shit my pants" expression when he tries to show that he's in disbelief and looks like a small child whose brother took his binky. It drives me up the fucking wall.

The one thing that I will give him is that, as has been stated above, his entrance music and Titantron are pretty impressive, though obviously that's not something that he was responsible for. What I will say though, is that the long intro of the song forced the usage of the full screen Titantron, as the logical timing for him to appear is when the song gets heavier and the first time he came out to that music, all we got was a shot of the ramp as we waited for him to come out. While that's the obvious reason for it, the full screen 'Tron should be reserved for a totally exciting entrance of someone who is very over and probably in the main event, with the obvious example being DX. This is another aspect of his character that makes him seem completely over-hyped and again, it really works against him.

I have genuinely tried to like the guy and to find things about him that I can appreciate, but I have such an incredibly difficult time doing that because he doesn't give me any reasons. I don't enjoy Evan Bourne, but I can say that his move set is fairly impressive (Air Bourne looks awesome live). I occasionally find Punk's promos to be a bit too sanctimonious, but he's so good at delivering them and executes his character arguably better than anyone in WWE. There are a lot of things that drive me nuts about Cena, but I can't take anything away from him because he's got way more talent in doing what he does than a lot of people give him credit for. With Drew, I can't get behind a single aspect of what he brings to the table. There are plenty of reasons why he hasn't been able to get over, and his push being halted is one of the better things that has happened to Smackdown in the past few months. Whenever I hear about people marking for him, it baffles me. For fuck's sake, Bodydonna Skip had more to offer.

Watching Drew Mcintyre doesn't really do anything for me. You can have him attack anybody on your roster as many times as you want, but until the guy shows some type of personality, he isn't going to get over with the fans. To say that John Cena doesn't have a personality to me is ludicrous. The reason why Cena is as uber over as he is now is because of his personality (Granted his gimmick being stale).

You also bring up Daniel Bryan. This guy has a personality. He plays as the classic "Nice Guy but can make you submit" character. You know, the humble laid back type. These two examples you brought up are people with personality. Hell, even Sheamus is garnering a personality. The problem with Drew is, he hasn't developed one yet. He's just there to many people. One thing that can help get him over is a mouth piece. If he gets one, it might help him. Otherwise, I don't see the big deal in the guy.

Drew McIntyre is a bit of an enigma. I have always been a huge fan of his (even though I am English so should hate him seeing as he is Scottish) but I can see the point of people when they struggle to see where he fits in and how he goes forward from where he currently is. I know people bang on about how people drafted to Raw get lost in the shuffle etc and Raw is overloaded with heels but if the roster could be juggled correctly in the next 12 months and he is on Raw you could just see the best of him, more mic time along with his genuine wrestling ability (plus the best ddt since The Snake) we may see him reach main event as has been promised. I am a fan but the booking needs to be right as he has the tools.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back