• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What genre do you like listening to?

Ferbian

Has Returned.
We all know there's a lot of genres in music, some we absolutely hate, some we're indifferent about, some we like, and some we absolutely love.

We all have our different styles, and there's definitely some genres we prefer listening to over others, but that's not what this thread is gonna be about, this is all about what genres in general you like to listen to, not which you prefer, but which you like.

I'll go first.

Metal (I'll leave this as an overall description of any kind of metal, with the exception of Death and Black): I like this "overall" genre because for the last few year's I've always been much into heavy music, something that can get you pumped, something that can be a counter to anger in case you need something to release on.

Metal can also very well prove to be soothing, in ways of for example Metallica having some great solos to listen to like Fade to Black.

Rock (again, overall description, no exceptions): just like Metal, it can prove to be very good for releasing anger on, but in this situation, rock can also be soothing in ways of soft rock, normal rock etc. and just like Metal, I've listened to it for a few year's time because I got into heavy music, while there is some exceptions of rock bands I've listened to for years.

Hip hop / Rap: I grew up listening to Eminem, basically since I was 6 years old, I've been a fan of him all the time, I feel I can both chill, and release anger to rap, I can listen to it for the sake of listening to it, and I feel that it's a influence on my verbal as well as written abilities, it feeds me knowledge in some kind of way, and I have to admit that half of my thread idea's on this forum has popped up while listening to a guy like Eminem.

While I do listen to any kind of hip hop / rap / freestyle (while I'm not as exposed to lesser names and underground rap) I have to admit the regular rap that has a meaning to it, has a story to tell etc. is my favorite, something that can leave you thinking, something you'll talk the time to listen to and could potentially get a life experience from.

So let's hear it, what genre do you like listening to, and why do you like to listen to it?

I am very picky on my music, it doesn't usually matter on the genre that much, so long as the actual music is good and I like the lyrics then I'll listen to it. The majority of the time it is Rock music because I just prefer that style, however I will listen to Metal, Rap, Reggae and others when it suits me.

Classic Rock: I've been a Classic Rock Mark since the day I was born. I grew up listening to The Eagles, Blue Oyster Cult, .38 Special, AC/DC, etc. It gets my blood pumping for the day and there is just that feel-good moment when you hear the intro to Kansas's "Carry On My Wayward Son" that I particularly enjoy.

Soundtrack: Whether a musical score from movies like Pirates Of The Caribbean, Inglourious Basterds, or The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly- music from movies can be very phenomenal in my opinion. Really sets the tone in movies and reality alike.

Mashups: If someone can make 2 songs with distinct sounds and blend them together to make a new, awesome track then they are gold in my opinion. I love this genre above most because it shows how creative people can be. Mixes like Nirvana vs. Rick Astley, Queen vs. Weezer vs. Joan Jett, The Doors vs. The Who....these are excellent combinations!! If you haven't heard of this group, I recommend them. You could hear a couple on Youtube.

I'll listen to any genre of music really but I'll list my top three favorites:

Metal (excluding Nu, Black, Death): Probably my favorite genre. I find the rhythm and veracity of metal incredibly therapeutic. It releases my anger and can pumps me up to levels other music cannot.

Rock (All): While it isn't as feirce as metal, it can pump me up just as well and the harmonizing of instruments is usually better then in Metal.

Punk: I like it mostly for the ideals but generally speaking it has the ferocity of metal and the instrumental harmonizing that rock has.

i love rock. cause it can have any kind of feeling to it-- sad, happy, angry, party, etc. although i do like pop, rap, and alternative stuff but not as much as i do rock :D

i listen to anything except emo music but my favorite genre is classic rock. I love old school metal too, but nothing compares to that amped up feeling you get listning to bands like AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Guns N Roses, etc. Also, because Rush is my favorite band, do i have to put prog rock on here too? Because i will.

I listen to any Genre but Rock is my favourite.
I love classic rock and bands such as AC/DC, Metallica, Taste and Aerosmith.
I just like the style and it gets my blood pumping.

Hey Yo!

Well i love a very different genre from you guys, i love the sound of G-Funk, if you're familiar with it is a style most popularized by Nate Dogg and Warren G it is an awesome genre to just kick back to and listen for a little soothing it is awesome.

I have well over 200 cds at home and d/l a hell of a lot of music too, from a really wide range of genres

I love

Metal e.g Metallica, Black Label Society, Iron Maiden, Godsmack

Rock e.g. Guns N Roses, Audioslave, Creed, Alter Bridge, Black Stone Cherry

Grunge e.g. Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Nirvana

Indie e.g Oasis (my favourite band), The Stone Roses, The Verve, Charlatans, Paul Weller

Gangsta Rap e.g 2pac, The Game, Dr Dre, Snoop Dogg

plus I listen to some pop, some reggae, some trance, a bit of everything really. I think its best to have a wide range of music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Wolfpac
Hey Yo!

Well i love a very different genre from you guys, i love the sound of G-Funk, if you're familiar with it is a style most popularized by Nate Dogg and Warren G it is an awesome genre to just kick back to and listen for a little soothing it is awesome.

Mate, G-Funk is awesome. Nate has such a smooth voice and Warren G has some great tracks, Relax Ya Mind by Warren is fantastic, a great cruisin tune

I honestly hate people that say “I’ll listen to anything”. No, you wouldn’t. I’ll tell you what, I will start up a jackhammer and just go to town on a block of cement and you can listen to that then? Of course not. At the end of the day, people are going to like some genres and hate others. What I like to do is take a sample of all the different things and try and decide whether that genre is worth listening to. Whilst I realise that some bands do not define a genre, they can give you a good idea of what people are setting out to accomplish in the same style. For example, I hate Punk music. I have listened to a few punk bands from today and the past and I must say that I don’t really care for it at all, sorry X.

However, some of the genres that I do like, I like to immerse myself in. For example, the British Rock scene is getting a lot more air time and is doing a lot better for itself. One of the bands that have really come on leaps and bounds are Biffy Clyro. I know a lot of people have not heard of them but I promise you that if you give them a chance to get under your skin, you will love them. Muse are another band that have really ridden the British rock wave and now seem to be the most recognisable band from the UK because of how much they have set themselves apart from everyone else, mainly because of the heaps of talent they have.

Again, the British grime and rap scene is really starting to heat up and people from the US like Jay Z are really starting to make some noise about artists like Dizzee Rascal, Tinie Tempah and Jay Sean. Whilst it may not be the best rap scene in the world, it is certainly getting better and is starting to become more and more prevalent in today’s radio scene. Considering that grime has basically started on the street, it is very positive that it has managed to get this far and progress so much.

Both of these genres are two that I am really into at this point in time. So, I will leave you with a couple of songs from those guys and you can tell me what you think:

I listen to a little bit of everything. Mainly, I listen to Hip Hop/Rap, it's a good way to release pent up anger, give you that extra rep while working out, and sometimes I get bored with music that doesn't have lyrics. My favorite artists include all of the Wu Tang Clan (if you haven't heard of them, climb out from under your rock and listen to 36 Chambers........ NOW!!!!) Kool G. Rap, Snoop Dogg (90's Snoop Dogg, don't get it twisted) Mystikal, Killah Priest, UGK, Lord Have Mercy, 2pac, MC Breed, Kinpin Skinny Pimp, Big Mello, Everyone in a Tribe Called Quest, Big Mello, everyone in De La Soul, everyone in the Gravediggaz (another must hear group), everyone in Bone Thugz N' Harmony, Triple 6 Mafia (back in the day), Geto Boyz, Cannibal Ox, Das EF-X, Outkast, Project Pat, Redman, Masta Ace, Kool Keith, Notorius B.I.G, Del tha Funkee Homosapien, Gangstarr, Jeru tha Damaja, EPMD, Andre Nickatina, Mac Dre, E-40, Tha Coup, and many others, I would list them all, but it would take days.

I also frequently listen to Reggae, I of course like Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Bunny Wailer. Some others I like are Burning Spear, all the Marley boys, Ras Neville and the Kingstonians, and Yuca Roots (last two are my dads bands).

As far as the funk/soul catagory, I like Chuck Brown, Funkadelic, Isaac Hayes, Gladys Knight and the Pips, Sun, Sly and the Family Stone, Miles Davis (he did some funk). Johhny "Guitar" Watson.

Jazz- Herbie Hancock, Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, Dizzie Gillepsie, Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis, John Coltrane. I may have to come back and edit this as my mind is at a blank at the moment.

Country- Willie Nelson, Hank Williams. I always listen to this "country legends" station but I never know the artists or this list would be a helluva lot longer.

So there it is, I know I'm forgetting a shit ton of musicians but what the hell, theres my list.

I listened to mainly black and death metal in my younger days. But nowadays im more into the heavy rock/Metal - Anything in that range barring Nu Metal (which I just cant get into for some reason).

So yeah - I will still listen to black and death sometimes but not too often anymore

HEY I LISTEN TO EVERYTHING!!!

Maybe I exaggerated a bit, but I did have a vast library of music on my laptop before it crashed.

Anyways, I don't have a particular genre or subgenre or offshoot I revolve around. Usually it's one thing for a month until something else piques my interests. But throughout my life I've always enjoyed doom and black metal, especially the atmospheric/ambient-ish variety. From the standard Darkthrone, Burzum, and Xasthur -- to Sombres Forets, Blut Aus Nord and Nocternity -- eventually Leviathan, Velvet Cacoon, even Alcest and Lifelover.

I pretty much like a few select bands out of different types. A few powerviolence (Knuckle Scraper, Weekend Nachos), skramz (Circle Takes The Square, Hot Cross) , post-rock (Russian Circles, Moving Mountains), indie (Teagan and Sara, Mother Mother, of Montreal), etc. bands and doom metal offshoots: sludge (Corrupted), death-doom (Draconian), funeral doom (Shape of Despair). You get the idea.

I'd type more, but I'm doing this over a PS3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back