What Does NXT Need to Compete With WWE?

What does NXT need to succeed?

• Jeff Jarrett as champion

• Triangles

• Go live

• Go on the road full time

• Pentagons

• Celebrity guest stars (Like Pierce Brosnan)

• Two hours

• Spike TV

• Ovals

• War Games

• A new Nation of Domination

• A stable of guys from the UK

• It's own Hall Of Fame

• Another title

• Other (please specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Coco

Mid-Card Championship Winner
I love NXT. You love NXT. It's a fantastic alternative and I'd love to see them succeed. But right now, they're clearly the number two promotion in the world and are miles behind the WWE. What is it going to take to push NXT to number one and make them real competition for WWE?

Some ideas:

More Big Stars: I like Finn Balor, Bayley, Enzo, Corbin, etc. But they don't have big name marquee value. Casual viewers have no idea who these people are. You want to draw more eyes to NXT? You need star power. Rhyno was a good start, but now he's busy with his run for office. Triple H appearing at the beginning of a couple Takeover specials was a huge coup, but NXT needs him appearing every week in a prominent role to really make the most of him. Cross-promotion with Jeff Jarrett's GFW would surely create some buzz. And hopefully when the Gawker mess is behind us, Hogan and Bischoff can come in. If anything, they should be trying to sign Kurt Angle (who's now done with TNA).

Live Weekly Two-Hour Primetime Show: The Takeover specials are everybody's favourite part of NXT. But if NXT is really going to blow up, they need to be doing two live hours every week. We can't be waiting weeks between Finn Balor appearances. He needs to be front and center week after week. And this taping weeks in advance stuff needs to stop. They're losing tonnes of viewers to spoilers.

Deal With Major Network: Internet shows are fine for us hardcores. But if the casuals are going to discover NXT, it needs to be on TV. This would be a great way to get Spike TV back in the wrestling business.

Go On The Road Full Time: The soundstage at Full Sail looks small time. Difficult to take the show seriously when it looks like that and has the same handful of people in the front row at every taping.

Different Ring: NXT needs to stop pretending they're WWE-lite and ditch the four-sided ring. I'm in favour of three sides myself. Triangles are very popular and have been since I was in kindergarten. Casuals will definitely recognize this shape.

What do you think NXT needs to succeed?

Ok. This post made me think and laugh at the same time. I think that it is illegal to do that. I had to change my pants after the triangle remark. Well done.

In all honesty I voted 2 hrs. Although, I could have voted go live. The two go hand in hand. A live 2 hour show would expose more of NXT's big players (Balor, Joe, Crews, Enzo, Cass, Etc) on a weekly basis. The current taped one hour format, does not feature all of the feature performers on a weekly basis. Also, I tend to read spoilers, to decide if I need to watch it or not.

Good post

I'm just hoping for NXT to fail. I'm old-school. The developmental process should never, EVER be televised, and developmental talents should never be seen as equal to the main roster talents. The youth movement is killing wrestling for me and making me watch less and less. When a developmental talent debuts on the main roster, they should be treated as brand-new and their "accomplishments" in developmental should never be acknowledged. When WWE is out of business in a generation, NXT will be the reason why.

NXT's success will stay as long as it stays what it is.

As it grows, gets bigger, gets more intervention from "Experts" that try to improve it, it will get worse and worse and worse.

Staying taped works out well for a group of lesser experienced (Generally) development talents, it means that they can edit out huge screwups as needed, and gives people a chance to develop.
I think going live would put a weird pressure onto the NXT developmental talent that would be negative overall.

2 hours, Meh, I'd stop watching, I enjoy NXT being promo light, adding an hour wouldn't give us more matches, We've learned this from RAW, an extra hour just means another hour of blabbing. The current model, where it's like 40 minutes of wrasslin' and 10 minutes of promos probably is what adds to it's success.

I realize the main topic is a joke, but in all honesty, a major network will be the only way NXT can really grow. The WWE Network setup right now, is one of the only reasons Im still subbed to the Network (With PPVs dipping down to RAW levels, I don't think they'd keep me hooked past Mania). Spike TV as an example, was actually a really good network for Wrestling, since it was focused on the actual demographic of wrestling, so we didn't get pandering to fans who aren't the normal Wrestling fans (TOTAL DIVAS?).

I actually also don't like the big stars idea, having big stars means the NXT homegrown talent won't shine as bright. Having a couple like Finn, Joe, Austin Ares is great, but NXT's entire point is developmental, so let's keep brewing our own stars while using the bigger names to get a little exposure and experience in the ring.

Is this to say that NXT is currently NOT succeeding? It's supposed to be a "cult show" televised to a "mainstream cult audience" and that demo seems to love it. So where's this lack of success?

Perhaps the question you're asking is, "what do NXT wrestlers need to do to become bigger stars when they get to WWE?" As great as NXT has been to its fan base, other than K.O. and the Divas, most of the NXT people haven't really connected with WWE fans (Neville has "connected" as a mid-card guy, but as a top tier guy).

I'm just hoping for NXT to fail.
You're sad sad little man. Do you have anything nice to say about anything?
I'm old-school. The developmental process should never, EVER be televised,
It's on the network and I don't see that changing because it constantly brings in new subscribers. It's not like it on USA with the main shows.
and developmental talents should never be seen as equal to the main roster talents.
Why? You can't say this and not give a reason. In some cases the talent in NXT is equal or better than the main roster talent.
The youth movement is killing wrestling for me and making me watch less and less.
The youth movement is bringing in some of the bed talent I've seen since Orton & Cena debuted. I promise you won't be missed if you stop watching.
When a developmental talent debuts on the main roster, they should be treated as brand-new and their "accomplishments" in developmental should never be acknowledged.
So they have to start brand new when they start out in NXT and when they finally get promoted everyone should completely forget everything that got them promoted in the first place? I don't even know what to say to this asinine statement.
When WWE is out of business in a generation, NXT will be the reason why.
NXT is the reason WWE is growing as a company and giving us some of the best matches in a long time and it's not going anywhere. Just because you know absolutely nothing about business doesn't mean it's going under.

You're sad sad little man. Do you have anything nice to say about anything?

It's on the network and I don't see that changing because it constantly brings in new subscribers. It's not like it on USA with the main shows.

Why? You can't say this and not give a reason. In some cases the talent in NXT is equal or better than the main roster talent.

The youth movement is bringing in some of the bed talent I've seen since Orton & Cena debuted. I promise you won't be missed if you stop watching.

So they have to start brand new when they start out in NXT and when they finally get promoted everyone should completely forget everything that got them promoted in the first place? I don't even know what to say to this asinine statement.

NXT is the reason WWE is growing as a company and giving us some of the best matches in a long time and it's not going anywhere. Just because you know absolutely nothing about business doesn't mean it's going under.

Aquaman is a sorry excuse of a WWE fan. He only likes out of shape and way past their prime performers, it's quite sad and pretty pathetic. There is no changing this guy's asinine opinion that he thinks considers fact.

Back to the thread, I don't think they need to change anything. If it's not broke, no need to fix it. NXT sells out most, if not all, of their live events and tapings. Balor, Bayley, Joe, Aries and some others sell just as much, if not more, than a lot of the main roster talents. The Takeover specials are just as good, if not better than most of the main roster ppvs. Guys like Enzo and Cass, for example, are more over than a lot of the main roster and they haven't been called up yet.

I read the question as "'Does' NXT need to compete with WWE?" by mistake.
And now I think this is equally valid.
NXT is a feeder show and it should stay that way. I'm not really sure why people want it to compete with the main roster.? Doing things like going live or 2 hrs would be disastrous for NXT. It would expose some wrestlers those were hidden earlier.

Let it stay the way it is.

And as much as I hate Aquaman's post, I do have to agree to his point that developmental talent should never be compared to guys from the main roster. The main roster is an entirely different ball game and a comparison would only hurt the guy (read The Ascension)

Not certain the question should be: What does NXT need to succeed? I think it is very successful at what it's doing. Moreso likely than the WWE was expecting.

I think the real question is: Where does NXT go from here?

There is real concern with pushing the unproven talent too hard where it concerns guys from the Performance center (Baron Corbin, Bull Dempsey) and simply utilizing indie talent that have all the tools and integrating them into the WWE system (most of the NXT stars that are currently on the main roster, Samoa Joe, Austin Aries, Finn Balor, Apollo Crews, etc) so upon getting called up they're better suited for success.

There is a risk of blowing NXT up too hard when you consider that the great performers are mixed in largely with people that are still learning. We're invested because of the influx of great indie talent and the Performance Center pushing some solid new talent, and how well they work together.

If you're going to expand, do it slowly. Another singles title perhaps, make the Dusty Tag tournament an annual thing to spotlight their incredibly deep tag division, Maybe another hour if you have enough story to tell in that time?

NXT is perfect as is in my estimation. Any attempts to make it competitive with the regular roster misses the point of NXT. It strips down the ridiculous stories and lengthy promos in favor of telling a concise story in the ring and with promos that are designed solely to advance a feud and develop a performer. And obviously not every star that works in NXT will be treated the same way on the main roster or have the same exact gimmick (The Ascension and Neville immediately come to mind) and will ultimately be relegated to mid card limbo.

Make any changes cautiously and remember why NXT exists.

I'm just hoping for NXT to fail.

I bet you are a blast at parties

I'm old-school.

Doesn't seem like it

The developmental process should never, EVER be televised.

Good thing it isn't, then

developmental talents should never be seen as equal to the main roster

No one ever said they were, so clearly they are doing a fine job of getting over.

The youth movement is killing wrestling for me and making me watch less and less

So is there like an age limit or?

When a developmental talent debuts on the main roster, they should be treated as brand-new and their "accomplishments" in developmental should never be acknowledged.

What possible reason and in what world would this be a good idea?

When WWE is out of business in a generation, NXT will be the reason why.

Its funny you claim to be "old school" when NXT is literally THE LAST vestige of old school booking and character use in the modern wrestling industry.

Totally ignoring every basic pro wrestling fundamental trope is why the WWE could be out of business in a generation, not its one hour a week alternative brand :lmao:

Jeff Jarrett as Champion? What the actual fuck is wrong with you? Jarrett can't wrestle, has no mic skills, and GFW WILL fail, just like I predict that TNA will be go bust within the next 5 years and most of their roster will end up in WWE, it's not like the majority of their "Stars" aren't ex WWE anyway.

What NXT does NOT need to succeed and compete with the WWE is:

Jeff Jarrett as champion – TNA tried that, and although they were successful, they did not compete with the WWE as much as they would have liked to.

Triangles – 4 sided ring, as proven by the WWE is the way to go.

Pentagons – 4 sided ring, as proven by the WWE is the way to go.

Spike TV – TNA tried that, and although they were successful, they did not compete with the WWE as much as they would have liked to.

Ovals – 4 sided ring, as proven by the WWE is the way to go.

War Games – match types couldn’t, shouldn’t, and wouldn’t help or hurt NXT’s ability to succeed and compete with the WWE.

A new Nation of Domination – Stables couldn’t, shouldn’t, and wouldn’t help or hurt NXT’s ability to succeed and compete with the WWE.

A stable of guys from the UK –Stables couldn’t, shouldn’t, and wouldn’t help or hurt NXT’s ability to succeed and compete with the WWE.

Its own Hall Of Fame – It couldn’t hurt. In fact it could help a little bit. The first class of inductees that I would put into the NXT Hall Of Fame would have to be Wade Barrett, Kaval, Kaitlyn, Fandango, Derrick Bateman, Seth Rollins, Neville, Oliver Grey, the Ascension, Paige

What NXT does need to succeed and compete with the WWE is:

Go live – Live is always better than taped. If you need to be edited, then you are not ready.

Go on the road full time – Going across the country is always better than staying in one location, although there are advantages to both. Putting these “rookies” on the road full time can only help them get accustomed to life in the WWE Universe.

Celebrity guest stars (Like Pierce Brosnan) – There is a reason why celebrities are paid to endorse products. Get a few in there to tell the WWE Universe why NXT is the “best” professional sports wrestling entertainment show!! I’d keep the A-List celebs on the Red show, B-List celebs on blue show, and C-List celebs on the Gold (sounds better than the Yellow) show.

Two hours – More time equals more opportunity. I’ll never understand the “oversaturation” argument. Whoever says, “we get too much WWE TV in a week” isn’t really a fan. They are just a bunch of whiny SMarks, who would rather complain than watch to being with. If there was more time to watch, then there would be less time to complain. Then again, if there was more time to watch, it might give the IWC more ammo to complain about.

Another title – All of the successful professional sports wrestling entertainment companies in history have one thing in common, the proper Championship Title hierarchy. You need World Championship Title Belt to show who the face who the Man is. You need a mid-card Championship Title Belt to show who is next in line. You need a set of Tag Team Championship Title Belts to show who the team to beat is. You need a Women’s Championship Title Belt to show who the Woman is. You could take it a step further and add a few more, but you cannot have any less than these 4 Championship Title Belts. If a promotion does, well, I look at that promotion as a minor league promotion. Say what you want, but the original ECW, ROH, and in this case, NXT are all minor league promotions. Impact Wrestling, in my opinion, is major league promotion. TNA has been around longer than WCW and is still going today. Even if TNA were to close its doors in the next 12 minutes, they will still be more successful than the original ECW, ROH, and if nothing changes, NXT, combined. I understand NXT’s current purpose, to be WWE’s farm system, but that doesn’t mean “March Madness” can’t get better ratings than the “NBA playoffs”.

NOTHING!!!!!!!! IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT. They continue to be a growing franchise that WWE can rely on.

The developmental process should never, EVER be televised

While not seen on a WWE owned Network nearly all past "development" promotions were available for viewing. Before they made their ways to the big stage names like Cena, Orton, Batista and Lesnar were weekly Saturday staples in my house via OVW Television. Same with the talents who made their ways through Deep South and Hartland. Most recently FCW weekly episodes were available on TV and YouTube. Hell, if you want to go further back ECW and Territory promotions were essentially feeder/proving grounds until WWE or WCW came calling and they were all over TV.

To Coco's OP. There is some very thought provoking stuff in there. I see a lot of individuals wanting two hours. Well I say go in the opposite direction. Less is more. Cut the show to thirty minutes. The idea of a triangle ring is interesting but lets go further outside the box. Why have any sides. Just one giant open arena. Maybe instead of a GM they anoint a NXT Emperor. Following major matches the Emperor can decide if the loser dies. I know I wouldn't mind Samoa Joe fighting a lion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back