• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What do you want to see from the Cigar Lounge?

LSN80

King Of The Ring
This is a question I should have asked earlier, and feel Ive dropped the ball here. I write about the things that interest me- some to great responses, some to little if none at all. Thats the nature of any thread- Youre going to see more interest from some then others. But Id feel remiss if I didnt ask what other things people would like to read and comment about.

All of the threads are based upon current news stories, but that covers a broad spectrum of topics. If there's something you'ld like to discuss, but havent seen it come to pass, please let me know, and Ill do my best to accommodate it. Im talking about both general story news, such as- Politics, Entertainment, Justice, Health, Debate, Religion, Laws and Finances, amongst others. But I'm also referring to specific topics as well.

Any feedback or suggestions are encouraged. My goal is just to make the section something of greater interest for a wider variety of people. You can let me know here or through PM, and Ill gladly do as I can. Ideas for stories or general topics are both encouraged.

Thanks!

LSN

I think the one main problem with the Cigar Lounge is knowing what's allowed in it. I have some topics I'd like to bring up, but don't necessarily feel like going out to find a speicific article to back it up. And it surely does seem...even if not true that you need an article to post in there.

I really don't think that there is nothing wrong with the topics (except they may be a bit US-orientes which leaves me out of the loop, a tad). The main problem is the fact that it's a wrestling forum. People come on to talk about wrestling and they couldn't care about anything else. It's not just the Cigar Lounge that's affected, it's basically all of the sections except the spam ones. But, saying that the work you do to keep your section alive is admirable, LSN. I think you've done all you can really do, bro!

Theres nothing really wrong with the cigar lounge its just that like rohan said its a wrestling forum. compare the raw section with the sports section. far more post in the raw section. either way your post in the lounge are usaully great. keep it up.;)

I feel that the Cigar Lounge is a bit too US-centred (which is understandable considering most people here are American). I'd like to see more threads to do with universal ethical quandaries. Perhaps I should be a part of that. So, I will now make a pledge: if I see something in the news, or come across something which interests me, I will make a thread about it.

To put it blunty, there are just too many important stores/debates/subjects that no one actually cares about and those that do rarely have any real clue, leaving the only real discussion to be based more on intractable religious nuts trying not to seem racist or sectarian while the rest belittle them.

I found this out when I spent a great deal of time on a couple of thread series I did for the CL about a year ago. They were well received but did not really spark all that much discussion.

May seem silly, but after the change that resulted in most of the Cigar Lounge posts moving to Potluck, I just stopped posting. The Cigar Lounge was a place where we smoked our pipes, gave our opinions, stroked our egos, and had fun debating. Some people looked down on it, because of reoccurring debates, but I didn't really care. Someone would always post something new, and for posters that hadn't seen the previous threads, the reoccurring topics gave them a chance to post their opinions on the subjects. I felt that limiting it to current events hurt the Cigar Lounge. But that's just me.

The non-spam restriction really makes it a challenge to have a constructive discussion about topics like morality, politics and the law. On the other hand it is the only thing that keeps these discussions from completely devolving.

I would like to see the Spam rules lightened up a bit, for example a post with relevant questions should be acceptable. Sometimes the best way to win or at least further a constructive debate is by giving your opponent the chance to keep on talking.

As far as additional topics: the news media, taxes, Chaz Bono, Tea Party, censorship, fake or real boobs etc. Basically anything else others are talking about, with the exception of abortion.

Regardless, like others are saying it is going to be a challenge to get much of that type of discussion on a wrestling forum but that is no reason to not keep on doing what you have been doing.

I'm still waiting with baited breath for the Cigar Lounge to die a fiery, knifey, perhaps Pierce Brosnan chest hair flavored demise.

One of the reasons i don't post there is due to it being US based which i understand seeing as most of the posters here are American. I simply have no interest in US politics and most US news. However the majority of cigar lounge posters would have no interest in Irish politics or news topics from over here. I'll make an effort to post in topics there but overall i'm more of a reader then a poster on the forums.

I think some of the topics Ive provided are two one-sided at time- Id like to get into more ethical, moral, or political controversies where there's room for people to differ. When I started, it was exaactly that. Im going to try to find some topics that are possibly steeped in quandries-One's that there are two sides two, where more free debate can go on.

If this sounds good to everyone, please let me know. As always. if there's a subject that comes up that you dont want to necessarily find the time for an article on it, please let me know, and Ill do my best to cover it.

If there's anything I can do to make the section more accessible to others, please let me know. ive taken some thoughts into consideration, and everyone's input is valued. Thanks again!

LSN
LSN

Merge the Cigar Lounge with The Potluck and keep LSN as the mod. ;)

In all seriousness though.... I would recommend doing more diverse news stories. Get on yahoo, google, etc, and sift through the news stories each day to select a couple that sound like they would generate the most feedback from us. Try to do different themes. Politics, weather, health, crime, entertainment, electronics, celebrity news, and so forth. There's always something interesting going on somewhere and the search engines often have a list of 40 or so stories to look at. I can try looking for some too and make some threads for those if you want, man. I'm glad your seeking feedback for your section, it shows us that you care and want to keep people posting in it. Keep up the great work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back