• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What Do You Say? Tenay: Yay or Nay?

Papa Pillman

I've got more Ho's than Jim Duggan
According to the main site(so take it for what you will), Mike Tenay’s TNA contract is set to expire in January of 2015.

If true, and combined with the report that Josh Matthews has signed with the company going forward, and with more cost-cutting surely in the offing, it seems logical to hypothesize that the company could be likely to go forward with Matthews as the new voice of its programming as part of a facelift that will accompany its move to a new network.

Thoughts?

Also, If Tenay is free of his TNA contract on Jan. 4, it also seems logical to predict he'll be on Jeff Jarrett's radar to do English commentary for the rumored GFW branded American airing of Wrestle Kingdom on televised PPV.

Tenay is much more familiar with the NJPW roster than someone like say Jim Ross for example. Tenay has called matches for many of NJPW's performers while with TNA- Tanahashi, Okada, Liger, Goto, Naito, Takahashi, both Hooligans, both Bucks, Styles, Gallows, Archer, Shelley, potentially Jarrett himself or even Team 3D.

I like Tenay. I really enjoyed his commentary during Cruiserweight matches on Nitro. His insight and the terrific in-ring action often made those matches highlights of Nitro. That said, TNA has to do everything they can to cut expenses, so I would understand them going with Matthews.

From a loyalty/quality standpoint, I'd go with keeping Tenay.

However, he's dispensable. Bottom line: ratings aren't going to be affected by his departure. Few people outside of the IWC will care that he's gone. From a business perspective, moving Matthews to commentary makes sense if it's gonna shave some dollars from their expenses, and that's probably more important right now.

Nay, and please stay away. Never liked his voice but I appreciate his love for the business.

WWE moved away from JR. TNA should follow suit and bring in a new voice. Taz's jokes can't carry a full broadcast alone.

If they don't re-sign him I'm okay with that.

He obviously knows his contract is coming to an end soon so he's had time to look around if he even wants to do commentary anymore. The guy is 60 years old. Maybe he'd like to retire and relax for the rest of his life. Even if that's not his plan not knowing what's going on with TNA in the future it may be smart for him to look around.

I'm over hearing him weekly.

I enjoy Tenay's commentary. Yay, I say. Keep him and get rid of Taz. He is irritating beyond belief with his lame jokes and constant use of the phrase " but I digress" His ridiculous commentary style doesn't suit his old character and to be honest I really got a kick out a heel Don West and Mike Tenay as his foil were doing some excellent commentary until the Hogan regime came and broke up what I felt was a promising announce team, especially as Wesylt had just found his feet in that new role.

Josh Matthews is underrated, I'd pair him with Tenay and Tazz. It means the two familiar voices don't need to speak as much and Matthews can bring a new perspective.

TNA can't replace Tenay with anybody who'd be better because anybody better wouldn't go to TNA.

He is awful. At any given time the worst part about Impact was always the sound...the few loudmouths chanting in the Impact zone, Teenay's voice and Tazz' BS.

Teenay is a wrestling-scholar, but that doesn't make him a good announcer.

edit: and he was awful in WCW as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back