• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

G1 Climax 23 : Official Thread (2013)

I just watched last nights matches, and holy fuck that is the second time Okada has dumped someone on their head in a tombstone.

Dangerous as fuck. I'm hoping it just looked worse than it was, obviously Ishii could walk and Okada isnt the type to botch like that, but even still.

Get your shit together rainmaker.

So Dave gave Ishii vs Shibata ***** stars. I was thinking more a long the lines of ****3/4, but I could go ***** if I was being generous. Seriously, share this match with any wrestling fan you know, share it to people on this forum.
[YOUTUBE]Z7XNWEmyZLo[/YOUTUBE]

As for who should win their respective blocks? A Nakamura vs Shibata final would please me the most. Nakamura, my favourite Japanese wrestler, and Shibata, one of the best out there at what he does, currently.

That match deserved it. Makes Cena/Lesnar look like a pillow fight.

And all the days have been uploaded to YouTube.

Also, NJPW has been the shit this year! Best wrestling company in the world right now.

Okay so finished Day 2 now... yeah I know I need to catch up badly lol. Well watching this really has been a pleasure. With the exception of a couple of guys I think all of the talent involved are fantastic! It's hard for me to choose a favourite because I like most of them, but I would probably have to say Kojima. I've never been one for lariats but I'll be damned if he doesn't do the best lariats I've ever seen!

Now here are the questions I have so far regarding the event. I have quite a few, so apologies :lmao:

1. What exactly determines who is in the G1? And is there a method to who is in which block?

2. As I understand it you have weight classes in puroresu but in the G1 wrestlers from all classes are in. So for instance the likes of Devitt and Okada, wouuld never be able to face each other outside of the G1?

3. Tanahashi... I'm confused as to his face/heel alignment. He spent Day 1 as a face but against Ishii on Day 2 he was a heel? What was the deal with that?

4. Is G1 strictly NJPW or are other companies involved?

5. During the matches I hear the ring announcer talking to (the audience) on the mic, usually after an exchange of moves or a near fall, what are they saying?

6. What's with Shelton having an X in his name? Is it supposed to be reference to Malcolm X or something?

7. What is the deal with Yano holding a DVD to the ring? Is it something he's involved in outside of wrestling?

8. What would happen if, at the end, there were two people in Block A with the most points? Who would go through to the final?

9. What would happen if someone is injured with matches yet to compete in? Would it be an automatic win for thweir opponent or would no points at all be allocated?

Thanks in advance for your help guys. Now onto Day 3!

1. There is a G1 committee who determines the talent involved in G1
2. There are weight classes however on a rare occasion a Jr. may prove himself and be able to challenge a heavyweight. An example of this would be Prince Devitt going on his run earlier this year winning BOSJ and then challenging Tanahashi. Since Devitt beat a Tanahashi who was a former champ he had proven himself and was able to challenge Okada for the belt earlier this year. Also, a Jr. can always bulk up and become a heavyweight.
3. Pretty much he was probably playing to the crowd do to who his opponents were (I honestly don't know for sure, because I've yet to watch any G1 stuff)
4. G1 is a tournament held by NJPW with the winner getting a shot at the IWGP heavyweight title, however outside talent can be invited. An example is Ibushi who is from DDT.
5. I honestly am not sure on this one.
6. If I remember correctly Suzuki said he was bringing in a Mr. X or something like that to join his stable. Shelton was Mr. X and I assume he's kept the X in his name because of that.
7. Yano just recently had DVD come out about him so that's why.
8. In the event of a tie whoever won in there head to head match up moves on.
9. Its an automatic win for whoever they are scheduled to face for the rest of the tourney. Both Goto and Tenzan just got injured and were forced to forfeit the rest of their matches.

1. What exactly determines who is in the G1? And is there a method to who is in which block?
I don't think it has a method! They pretty much put their most important guys in two blocks and give this big matches to try and get more attention. It really is an important tournament and there are guys that made their name due to that - it's the Japanese KOTR let's say. Sometimes you don't really have qualifications for the KOTR Tournament, they are just announced, same here.

2. As I understand it you have weight classes in puroresu but in the G1 wrestlers from all classes are in. So for instance the likes of Devitt and Okada, wouuld never be able to face each other outside of the G1?
Well weight classes don't forbid Jr. Wrestlers from facing Heavyweights. The last title defense Okada had was actually against Devitt. However japanese in general don't like to see small guys facing that big muscled guys, specially in the last years when they really integrated MMA to their wrestling style.

3. Tanahashi... I'm confused as to his face/heel alignment. He spent Day 1 as a face but against Ishii on Day 2 he was a heel? What was the deal with that?
There is a reason people call him the "Japanese" John Cena... He's exactly like him, even with the fans. He has been dominating since 2006 and people got sick of him. When you are new, you'll find him amazing though because he is. They can't give you a logical reason for why some guys hate him, they just do it for the sake of it like with Cena. Well, Tanahashi got very popular because he was stabbed by his girlfriend xD

4. Is G1 strictly NJPW or are other companies involved?
Well this year yes. But Kota Ibushi is more known for his time in DDT, but that doesn't mean anything. I'm sure they can put some guys from CMLL is it was needed or people really asked for it.

5. During the matches I hear the ring announcer talking to (the audience) on the mic, usually after an exchange of moves or a near fall, what are they saying?
I think it's the time, but I don't know too to be honest.

6. What's with Shelton having an X in his name? Is it supposed to be reference to Malcolm X or something?
Wikipedia: Benjamin returned to New Japan on April 20, now working as a member of the villainous Suzukigun, teaming with the stable's leader Minoru Suzuki in a main event tag team match, where they defeated Kazuchika Okada and Shinsuke Nakamura.[92] On the following tour, Benjamin worked under the ring name "Shelton X Benjamin", playing off the fact that prior to him being revealed as the newest member of Suzukigun, Suzuki's partner had been billed simply as "X"

7. What is the deal with Yano holding a DVD to the ring? Is it something he's involved in outside of wrestling?
http://www.amazon.com/Wrestling-Toru-Yano-Shunen-TCED-1566/dp/B008CL0VK8

8. What would happen if, at the end, there were two people in Block A with the most points? Who would go through to the final?
You would see who won the match between them or as done in the past, have a decisive match.

9. What would happen if someone is injured with matches yet to compete in? Would it be an automatic win for thweir opponent or would no points at all be allocated?
When someone backs out of the tournament, their previously scheduled matches are turned into automatic wins for the opponent, meaning someone who was booked to lose initially now has a loss. It will all work out in the end, but the points structure may have to be altered to get the intended result.

Thank you very much Nolan and Mission for your answers!

There is a reason people call him the "Japanese" John Cena... He's exactly like him, even with the fans. He has been dominating since 2006 and people got sick of him. When you are new, you'll find him amazing though because he is. They can't give you a logical reason for why some guys hate him, they just do it for the sake of it like with Cena. Well, Tanahashi got very popular because he was stabbed by his girlfriend xD

I had a feeling that may have been the case, but I like that he "embraces the hate" and works the match as a heel unlike Cena. As for Tanahashi yeah he's pretty awesome. You can tell just by looking at him, the "aura" he gives off that he is a top guy. Same with Okada really who's also damn good. Was he always this good? Because from the brief time in TNA I can't remember him being anything special in the ring and he seemed a bit out of shape too.

I can't wait for the match between the two of them that'll be amazing! And I like how it takes 5+ finishers to keep Tanahashi down :lmao: because it makes the guy that beat him look even better. Cool that he's putting people over.

So.... G1. Not bad huh. I wish I had friends to discuss this with. But, i'm as sad as all of you, I don't. Someone do a WZForum review of G1 (looking at you, DragonSaga).

Been watching bits and pieces, but I figured I'd stay up and watch Day 9 live. So far so good.

EDIT:

Smith vs Archer was good. DeVitt and Makabe are up now. I wish Raw had an alternate Japanese commentary.

I don't know who got it worse, DeVitt, Makabe, or the refs... lol. Decent match. Overbooked-ish.

Okada and Kojima are up. Should be a helluva match.

EDIT:

And of course my totally legal viewing option cuts out right at the finish. Terrific match, though. Love matches that build slowly and then hit a good, action-packed stride like that.

Shibata vs. Tanahashi is next. Fingers crossed everything holds together.

There are few spots in wrestling that are as entertaining in their simplicity as the figure four slap fight.

If I knew the Japanese for "this is awesome," I may have chanted it during that match. CM Punk needs to throw that forearm of his like Katsuyori Shibata. Great match.

Chris Benoit sighting in a some sort of ad/recap of a past event. Conflicting emotions everytime I see his highlights. Dude could go, that's for sure.

I want the middle commentator's t-shirt. I'm not a big puro/NJPW guy, but that's a great logo.

Tag team match in progress. LMAO at the announcer's new Silver Surfer look. Not quite sure why Kota is in this match.

Apparently it became a six-man tag. Missed that.

If MVP ever comes back, he needs to have a bunch of ads on his gear with a big Ribera Steakhouse one like Akebono. Naito vs Tanahashi up.

Still making my way through this.. about halfway through Day 6 right now. Even though I know who the winner is now, I figured since I've come this far I may as well see it through to the end. I knew I should've kept away from this whole forum, I stayed out of this thread but then I ended up seeing Nolan's sig on another board :lmao: but obviously the tourney was long over when you made that sig was made so it's nobody's fault but my own!

So I'm carrying on regardless, so I can say I watched the whole thing. Not to mention the shows are damn good! Day 4 has to be one of the best wrestling shows I've ever seen, top to bottom every match on that card delivered. Shibata vs Ishii WOW usually I hate brawling but in that match it was done to perfection and the crowd just ate it up! Best match I've seen this year for sure.

I just wanted to bring up an earlier question I had concerning weapon use. It's not just Yano now but Takahashi who are using chairs in direct sight of the referee! And then you had Karl Anderson who in response to being reprimanded for biting....bit the referee! lol is it actually possible to get DQ'd? Or are Japanese referees just a lot more tolerant?

The only two I dislike in this tourney are Yano and Tenzan.... those chops Tenzan does to the shoulders, I'd be embarrassed to sell that shit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back