• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What Could Have Been - Scott Hall

1210275821_f.jpg

Scott Hall

Scott Hall is commonly considered one of the greatest wrestlers to never win a World Championship in a major promotion (WWE, WCW, TNA, ECW). His career has spanned over two decades, in which he has wrestled all over the world. Throughout his entire career he has been anything but a model citizen having to leave multiple promotions due to his drug/alcohol problems. These drug problems, and his lack of a work ethic have more than likely prevented him from ever doing anything major in his career. That being said, what could have been with Scott Hall? Where could he have gone, what could he have done?

I believe wholeheartedly that had he been better behaved, and had he not had so many drug/alcohol issues, that he could have been an all-time great. He could have been a World Champion easily, he was that good. In 1994 he was ranked as 7 best wrestler (out of 500) in the world, he was clearly World Championship material. The problem with Scott is that he refused to accept help, and he followed Nash pretty much anywhere he went. Had Hall stayed in the WWF in the 90s and actually followed their advice and gotten clean I believe he would have been a World Champion eventually, instead he went to WCW where he was a lackey in numerous nWo factions, and getting pity title reigns with the US Title as well as the TV Championship. Then, when he got another shot with the WWE he threw it away due to his actions on the aptly named "Plane Ride from Hell." Scott Hall had loads of potential which he never truly harnessed because he had so many vices.

Thoughts?

Scott Hall was an all time great, world title or not. He was pretty big in WWE and he was WCW as part of the NWO. He was the NWO. The NWO was the best faction ever in wrestling, the NWO was the biggest angle in history and he was the NWO. So, i think Hall's career was fine without a world title. He's still one of the 30 best ever. A world title may have put him in the top 25. But he oozed more charisma (machismo) than all of WWE goofballs today combined. I still hold him in higher regard than Edge, Cena, Orton etc..

I don't understand your (the OP's) logic that Hall followed Nash everywhere. Hall followed Nash nowhere. Hall joined WWE first. Hall joined WCW first. Hall left these places first and Nash followed. Hall has gone back to a company where Nash is from time to time briefly but more so at the request of Hogan and Bischoff. Nash really doesn't need Hall and vice versa. Hall needs help. That brings me to my next point. It wouldn't have mattered for Scott Hall had he stayed in WWE and 'cleaned up.' Scott Hall has a drinking problem. It has been labeled alcoholism. The thing with alcoholics is many never clean their act up. They get help, go through the steps, get clean and fall back into old habits. Just like cigarette smokers or drug abusers. Scott Hall would never have cleaned up. It is not WCW's fault that Scott Hall is an alcoholic. It's his fault. So don't go blame WCW because you love your beloved WWE buddy. WWE gives NOTHING to wrestler's to insure them against injury. So good for WWE for being able to SAVE BILLIONS they can give back to certain guys (friends of Triple H) that need the help like Scott Hall. Scott Hall will never get totally clean, WWE will not be able to clean him up. They couldn't in the past, they can't now.

Scott Hall has a drinking problem. It's a pity because he's not on TV anymore and missed out on adding to his legacy. But the guy was amazing, world title or not, and he was one of the few legendary personalities of all time (along with Roddy Piper) who did not need a world title. They were just that damn good. World titles are for guys like Hogan who couldn't wrestle for shit or for bland douche bags like John Cena who don't even have the charisma Scott Hall has in his left testicle.

Scott Hall had good opportunities and capitalized on many of them. He joined WWE (where he is still known for the big ladder match at Wrestlemania X), went to WCW where he was part of the NWO and made a major impact with the Outsiders, did brief stints in TNA (won Tag team title with the Band), and led a pretty good career. He deserves lots of his reputation that he has.

Now, could Scott Hall have been World Champion? Sure. Would it affect him in any way? About as much as giving the title to any other person. Scott Hall is one of those special wrestlers who needs no title to get him over. He just needs a mic, a ring, and a wrestling match to do it.

Of course, he's had his demons. Alcohol problems and things of that nature. Does that take away from his reputation? Not as much as many fans like to think. Therefore, I think Scott Hall has done well for his career. The only thing that could have changed him was to get the World Title, but it would have only pushed him a little bit. He had everything else.

Scott Hall is one of the most important wrestlers of all time. Few wrestlers have left the mark that Hall has. For instance:

1) He also brought out the best of his opponents. He helped to legitimize Bret Hart's first title reign by putting on an excellent match at Royal Rumble 1993. He then put over the 1-2-3 Kid. Most importantly, he made HBK and Diesel into stars.

The passionate hatred directed towards HBK and Diesel from 1993 through 1994 was not because they were so great at garnering heat. It's because they were feuding with the abundantly talented Razor Ramon.

Shawn Michaels is often credited with making the Wrestlemania 10 Ladder Match so special. In fact, HBK's career was launched to new heights in the aftermath of that bout. But to be honest, I believe the match was so iconic (at that moment in time, in 1994) because of the excellent storyline heading into the match, precipitated by the brilliance of the Razor Ramon character. It was the match to determine the undisputed Intercontinental Champion, a designation that the fans passionately felt belonged to Ramon.

2) Ramon and Michaels made ladder matches, and gimmick matches in general, a mainstay in professional wrestling. In fact, without the ladder match in 1994, we would have probably not seen the Iron Man Match with Hart and Michaels at Wrestlemania 12. Since the WM 10 ladder match, we have seen it evolve into a Tables, Ladders, and Chairs concept. Fans of ladder matches across the world have Hall and Michaels to thank for that.

3) Ramon was not a common babyface. Though Ramon was loved by the fans, he still had the demeanor of a tweener. In a sense, he planted the seeds for the Attitude Era way back in 1992. Though, some may argue that such talents were first exhibited by Jake the Snake Roberts.

4) Because he completed in the the Intercontinental Championship ranks, Ramon made the midcard title as relevant as the WWF Championship from 1993 through 1995. In all honesty, I think the fans would have been just as pleased with Razor Ramon vs. Dean Douglas (IC Title Match) in the main event of In Your House October 1995 as they were with Bret Hart vs. Brittish Bulldog (WWF Title Match). At Summerslam 1994, Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart and Undertaker vs. Undertaker were the double main events. But Razor Ramon vs. Diesel was the true headline match. In fact, Ramon hoisting the Intercontinental Championship with Walter Payton raising his hand would have been a fitting way to close the show.

All the Ramon charcter cared about was the Intercontinental Championship. That indeed elevated the status of the title.

5) Scott Hall shifted the balance of power when he defected to WCW. No wrestler has EVER match such an impact on television ratings when departing from one major promotion to another. Not even Hulk Hogan himself was able to do for WCW what Scott Hall did. Without Hall joining WCW, there probably wouldn't have been been a "Monday Night War" between WWF and WCW.

With all of that said... Hall could have ben been greater!

Imagine if a wrestler of such charisma was given the full support of an entire company! He could have been eletated to Austin, Hogan, and Flair status. But instead, he was used as an overacheiving midcarder. Ramon could have made a ton of money for the WWF if he was given the opportunity.

Hall is great. But because of his positioning in the WWF and WCW, he will always be a peg below Hogan, Austin, Flair, and The Undertaker. He finds his company with Rowdy Roddy Piper, Jake The Snake Roberts, and Mr. Perfect as potential mega-star main eventers who never got a chance to lead a major wrestling organization to prominence.

I think WWE was smart.. they learned about the kind of guy he was & never put the title on him. That is when the title meant something. Not now where 1/4 the roster has 5 or more reigns. Nowadays it means nothing & yeah, had he been in his prime during this time frame, he would had held it at some point. He might not be a 3 or more time champ though. I'm not like the rest of you, I don't think he was very great, yea.. he could do his thing on the mic, but his time has come & gone.. and just because you were in a ladder match or were part of a successful group that you make it to a HOF. He's not that great. He was an upper mid-card guy, those guys aren't supposed to have World Title reigns.

Scott Hall is probably my favourite wrestler of all time alongside Sting. We all know about his problems (and if you're typing in this thread then you definitely think Scott was great) so I won't go down the line of how drugs and booze affected him.

One thing everyone mentions is that he is the greatest wrestler to never hold a world title. This week I came up with a new theory. I think this in fact adds to his legend. If he'd held the top strap he'd just be another Heavyweight Champion, but now he'll always be mentioned for something. He's famous for never holding the big one. He clearly didn't need it because we're all sat here now praising his ability. I think in Scott's case it's certainly helped him to never hold that strap.

Incidentally, I'd have him commentating somewhere at some stage. He's funny, and there's nobody I prefer on the mic.

Great thread. I've always been a fan Hall.

I agree, had Hall stayed clean though out his career, we could be referring to him as former World Heavyweight champion, or who knows we could be calling him the current champion. The sky was the limit for Hall, in fact he was bred to be the next Hulk Hogan. When Vern Gagne hired Hall in AWA back in 85, Gagne tried to make Hall into the next Hulk Hogan. Gange had Hall doing the whole leg drop and taunting thing. Hall never turned into what Hulk Hogan did though. Hall stayed in AWA until '89. His best bet would have been to stay in the WWF, but I think the whole MSG incident sent him on his way to WCW. If he would have stayed in the WWF, the whole attitude era would have been great with him.

the bad guy razer ramon was a wwe great... the lone wolf scott hall was a wcw great.... one of the best wrestlers of his era hands down hbk vs razor wm 10 ladder match is most defs one of the greatest mania match of all time but even the greatest match of all time period..... i think scott hall definately deserved to be a world champ but it didn't matter that he never got to wear the strap his charisma n in ring work spoke for it's self.... i still remember the night he came out the crowd at nitro in his denim jeans n vest hair all slick black tooth pick n his mouth hahaha fuck he was awesome...... Hay Yoooooo......

big fan of hall, if he would have kept his shit straight he could have now at the level of hhh, he was that good in the ring, mic work was superb, as razor ramon he was at the top of his game, had so many good matches, especially with mr perfect, jarrett, hbk, and goldust, the guy was one of the best workers in the ring, too bad he went down hill

An alcoholic who truly wants to recover has got to, no doubt about it, come to the understanding that that one of things that is an absolute in that process is to leave by the wayside the people who were part of the "addiction period." For Scott Hall that was Kevin Nash and Sean Waltman and, from what I saw in a video interview with those 2, it still ist Nash and Waltman. While it is true that the alcoholic has to want to help themselves, if you are in the role of "supportive friend" you still don't take an alcoholic to a bar or make getting loaded part of an evening's entertainment but it appears that Sean Waltman is not ready to clean up and I don't think Kevin has even thought along those lines. In the end, I don't see Scott making that choice, either, and it's a shame to see so much go to waste.

Look chico, you're absolutely right.
The Bad Guy could have had a Hall of Fame career, easily. He just ran with the wrong crowd and did the wrong drugs. I consider him to be Jeff Hardy's hero. XD

Scott, even with all of his problems, has had a damn decent career- so if all those problems were erased? Yeah, nothing could have stopped him from having a legendary career. It wasn't just drugs, beer, and laziness that dragged him down though. I really don't think hanging with Waltman and Nash all these years has been good for his career- although it did lead to the Outsiders. But really, that's all it did. That's the only thing hanging with Nash has ever done for him. He probably would have done much better in the WWF. Being friends with Triple H and Shawn Michaels- along with having the toolset - takes you to a couple of WWF title reigns.

Well... Razor Ramon has always been one of my favorite wrestlers even dating back to his days on AWA. He really did have it all in the ring and his mic skills are well documented. The crowd on Nitro/Thunder was electric when he would do his "Survey Says" intro before the match. He was the perfect man to kickoff nWo's take over in declaring war on WCW. He was a big reason why the nWo had/has such a cult following. The only thing lacking in both WWE and WCW was a World Title reign, but he had tremendous matches when he was Razor Ramon... Matches with Rick Martel, Mike Rotundo (IRS), Shawn Michaels, Diesel, Bret Hart, Macho Man, Goldust were all really good matches.

He was content in the role he played, you've gotta remember that the IC Title and the US Title actually meant something back then. Many of the better matches took place in IC Title Feuds (I.E. Mr. Perfect).

I think his credentials speaks for itself and he totally deserves to be in the WWE Hall of Fame.... If they are gonna have Koko B. Ware (whom I thought was okay) be in the hall of fame they need to have Scott Hall be there.

I don't think his demons really did effect his career that negatively, What really more could he have done? Finnish out his contract in wcw and join WWF and DX? I have a feeling if he was 100% fans would have gotten tired of him eventually and his career wouldn't have really progressed any further then his records are... Bottom line PUT HIM IN THE HALL OF FAME!

I agree that he should be in the Hall of Fame. One of the greatest characters of all time and a great in-ring worker. He did great things in WCW but I would have loved to see him in the WWE during the attitude era with DX. It's a shame he didn't last long after Wrestlemania 18...he could have done some big things and eventually win the world title.

Every time I look at Scott Hall, all I see are wasted opportunities. He had the look, the charisma, the athleticisim, he had everything. But he could never control his demons. Sadly he never amounted to anything past the Intercontinental Title. Suspensions after Suspensions didn't do any help. He'll always be looked at what could have been if he tried harder.

The debate that seems to get brought up a lot is "Who is the Best Wrestler to never get the Big One?"(I won't include his USWA or WWC reigns as the big one).

For my money, that's always been Scott. I can't remember everything leading up to the build in WCW, but right after Nash beat Goldberg and started blistering on Hall in a promo for interfering, I know I marked the hell out.

I don't remember seeing a whole lot of Razor VS. Diesel in the Pre-Attitude WWE days, and I thought it was going to be a great program.

One of the remarkable things about his career is that even WITH all the 'what ifs?' and coulda-woulda-shoulda, he still might have a HoF-worthy career.

Well, not WWE Hall of Fame, but possibly the Observer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back