What are your Top 5 Matches from WCW Nitro ?

TheGreatLegend

The Cerebral Assasin
WCW Monday Nitro had many great matches in its span from 1995 to 2001.I have lot of fav. matches and moments from WCW Nitro but I am going to list my top 5 favorite matches from Nitro.

My fav 5 Matches from WCW Nitro are :

5.) Goldberg,Sting and Hulk Hogan Vs. Sid Vicious,Ric Stiener and Kevin Nash (1999)

4.) Sid Vicious Vs. Kevin Nash - WCW World Heavyweight Championship - (2000)

3.) Diamond Dallas Page Vs. Jeff Jarrett - Steel Cage Match - WCW World Heavyweight Championship - (2000)

2.) Hulk Hogan Vs. Goldberg - WCW World Heavyweight Championship - (1998)

1.) Diamond Dallas Page Vs. Sting - WCW World Heavyweight Championship - (1999)

What are your top 5 matches from WCW Nitro ?

1) Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat - Spring Stampede '94

2) Chris Beniot vs Bret Hart - Nitro 1999

3) Rey Misterio Jr vs Eddie Guerrero - Halloween Havoc 1997

4) Big Van Vader vs Sting - Superbrawl 1993

5) Chris Jericho vs. Ultimo Dragon - BATB '97

This is just from Monday Nitro correct ? I saw one post that had some PPV matches listed (always thought the final Flair-Steamboat Match from WCW Sat Nite was way better than the PPV one in 94, I believe that was the SuperBrawl PPV not Spring Stampede because the PPV match occurred on the 5 year aniversary of Steamboat's World Title win and took place in Chicago where he won the belt originally).

In any event, in no particular order...

Hulk Hogan vs Goldberg July 1998: The Georgia Dome match where Goldberg cleanly pins Hogan to win the WCW Title - I definately think WCW missed the boat with Goldberg after this but his streak, etc was handled so well building up to this, it was priceless. Plus, how many times did Hogan lose cleanly with a title on the line ??

Ric Flair vs Eddie Guerrero, May 1996: GREAT MATCH - if you buy the Monday Nitro retrospective DVD it is on there, log oer due that this match ends up on DVD, especially since WWE already did a Eddie DVD collection and two multi disc sets for Flair. Great combination of technical wrestling and brawling, decent high flying action, fairly evenly fought, Flair goes over with the figure four in the end but Eddie looks like a legit star in his match, one of the few times in WCW they let him shine against an established star. Possibly Flair's best match on Nitro.

100th Episode: Holywood Hogan vs Lex Luger Aug 1997: Huge upset win, as WCW really strikes back hard vs NWO as Luger, the de facto poster boy alongside Sting, shocks the world by making Hogan tap out to the Torture Rack in this special episode's main event. Yes, Hogan, with all the NWO guys helping him out, takes the title back a few weeks later at the next PPV, but this was something no one saw coming and was a huge feel good moment.

Kevin Nash vs Giant/Big Show, Loser Leaves WCW Match Feb 1999: Both these guys are a bit under rated as performers and they had real chemistry with each other. Clever ending with Nash utilizing a weapon (think it was a wrench) that Bishchoff had hidden under the ring. Remember Eazy E was no longer President at this point, Flair was, and in order to maintain his contract he had to do a variety of wrestling show related tasks, including in this episode ring set up (they had funny scenes in later episodes of Eric selling merchandise and getting stuck in a dunk tank).

Kinda stuck on 5 between DDP/Goldberg (the main event from Halloween Havoc that was cut off the PPV and shown for free on Nitro, HUGE RATINGS for this one, one of Page's better matches and one of the few times WCW really let Goldberg shine during his World Title run), Ric Flair vs Jeff Jarret (Flair wins final World Title in May 2000, overcoming a pre match beatdown, great scene where Flair smacks around Mark Madden, ripping off his head set and calling him out for his biased commentary), , the Owen Hart Tribute Match between Brett Hart & Chris Benoit, and Randy Savage winning the title from Flair in Jan 96 (at that time the idea of the World Title changing hands on live TV was unreal, it was never done, back when Nitro was really pushing the envleope and RAW was realy stale, clever ending to the match as well, I believe it's available on Savage's DVD).

1. Ric Flair & his son vs. Ric Flair's other son & someone

It's the only one I remember. A vague memory at that.

5. Kronik vs. The Mamalukes - Not for Kronik, but for Johnny the Bulls athletic accomplishments.

4. Sean O'Haire and Chuck Palumbo vs. Mike Awesome and Lance Storm- Final episode, and they had a barn burner of a match.

3. "Lion Heart" Chris Jericho vs. Marty Jannetty- The match was "eh", the following segment was pure gold.

2. Masahiro Chono vs. Muta

1a. Flair vs. Sting-Final Episode, final match. Nuff said.
1b. Brian Pillman vs. Jushin Liger- Very first match in Nitro history, capping off an amazing rivalry. What better way for the program to kick off it's great history?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back