What are your favourite drum performances?

mrbrownstone

Fucking Hostile
Drummers; they are usually the forgotten and least appreciated members of any given band, robbed of the spotlight by charismatic frontmen and lead guitarist when they do just as much to contribute to a song. Well this thread is designed to appreciate these oft forgotten drummers by asking a simple question, What is your favourite drum performance on a song?

For me the honours are split three ways,

[YOUTUBE]bg92QpjRcJk[/YOUTUBE]

Metallica - For Whom The Bell Tolls

Lars is on fire in this one, the main reason I love the drumming in this song, and in fact this song full stop, is the fills in the verses, they are epic. If I was going to learn to play drums they would be the first thing I would want to learn.

[YOUTUBE]xtqy4DTHGqg[/YOUTUBE]

Black Sabbath - War Pigs

When you talk about under appreciated drummers Geezer Butler has to be right up there near the top of the list, he is a great drummer but he is overshadowed by Ozzy and even Tony Iommi. Anyway though, he is ridiculously good in this classic, his fills in the verses and elsewhere in the song are simply mind blowing and he is fucking solid everywhere else. Even his simple cymbal work for most of the verse is spot on.

[YOUTUBE]G0AGUywHntw[/YOUTUBE]

Slayer - Angel Of Death

Dave Lombardo is another under appreciated drummer. I love him in this song though, his little solo near the end is just great, really fucking fast too. His fills throughout the song are great too.

So thats it for me, what are your favourite drum performances?

[YOUTUBE]2UdCVbs2_tM[/YOUTUBE]

For me its allways been this. I'm still one to believe that the great southern trendkill is the most underrated metal album of all time. Pantera is a huge fucking band, but for the most part its allways looked at for Phil's drug problems, or Dime's sweet guitar playing. This song to me is all about Vinnie. From the live performances I've herd of it he plays it flawlessly just like on the album. This for me as a kid was the first album I herd constant 4/4 beat double bass kicks like that.

Thats the sort of turning point for me years later with my drumming teacher telling him I wanted to do that. Sadly I've never been alble to play this whole song, but Vinnie allways cheers me up because I know some day I'll be alble to play it just like him.

The sad part about this video is you can really tell Phil is just fucking blasted at the end when he's talking. I just wish for Dime's sake he could have gotten his act together. But thats the way that shit happens sometimes.

[YOUTUBE]7XnQ5kKmOro[/YOUTUBE]

At one minute he goes solo and doesn't stop for about eight minutes. Simply amazing. Of course if I have to pick a song and not just a massive drum solo I'd go with "When the Levee Breaks" or "Kashmir". The fills at the end of Kashmir are fucking insane. Also I have to mention "A Day in the Life" by The Beatles. The fills in that song are so beautiful. Ringo always knew how to play. Compliment the song, not yourself.

[YOUTUBE]FlJKKtgreqw[/YOUTUBE]

Magma - excerpt from "Mekanik Destructiw Kommandoh"

I wouldn't necessarily call this my favorite drum performance, but Christian Vander is my favorite drummer and this is the best example of his work I can find on YouTube. He is about 30 years removed from his prime in this video, but he's still better than most drummers today. The opening post stated that drummers are often forgotten and unappreciated. One of the things that makes Magma special is that Christian Vander is the band. He composes 99% of the music, has sole control of the musical direction, and is the most recognizable and thunderous performer in their live line-up. To me, he is the John McLaughlin of drummers - his eyes roll back into his head and it's as if a spirit takes over him whenever he gets behind the kit.

His work on "Köhntarkösz" and "Mekanik Zain" on the Live/Hhai album is probably his best recorded performance, but this video is a good enough example of his ability.

Just don't fly off the handle

Fuckin' insane that he was virtually
self-taught. If I practiced for the
rest of my life I doubt I could match
his technique (especially 'cause I
hate traditional grip). Supposedly
he could perform 20 strokes per sec.
1-hand rolls
. I've long held the
belief he was an outlier in practically
every sense of the word whose
talent probably won't be
duplicated any time soon –if ever.

Mine is the huge jam session at the end of "I Am The Resurrection" by The Stone Roses. Reni's drumming is unbelievable.

Many complilation albums which feature this track (even a Roses one) cut off this song before the 5-6 minutes of mayhem starts, which in my eyes is an unforgivable crime. I have seen this track played live by 2 different Stone Roses cover bands and it just sounds phenomenal and the crowds love it.

[YOUTUBE]4aKUN0inoVc[/YOUTUBE]

Lars Ulrich on the ...And Justice For All album with the song "One."

I will post video or audio later when I am not restricted by a menacing work computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back