• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What are the best games you've seen in person?

jmt225

Global Moderator
Being on a wrestling board, we're asked all the time what are the best matches we've seen in person, or what are the best events we've ever been too. Well, same deal here. What are the greatest games you ever witnessed as a fan, live and in person, and what are some of your greatest experiences while attending a games? Pros or college; it doesn't matter.

I would have to say the absolute best game I've ever been to was a College football game between LSU and Mississippi State in 2000. It was a Triple Overtime game, with LSU winning 45-38 off a touchdown pass thrown by Rohan Davey. And Rohan Davey was heavily injured at the time, but fighting through it because LSU desperately needed him (Josh Booty sucked ass). And he had one of his greatest games in this one. He was phenomenal his entire time on the field.

Another great experienced I had was the Saints/Falcons Monday Night Football game back in 2006. It was the first Saints game in the Superdome since Katrina, on Monday Night Football, against our most hated rival. Man, being in the arena that night was something else. U2/Green Day playing a song just created for that game, and the Saints just putting on an ass kickin’ from the start... it was incredible to witness and one of my finer moments as a Saints fan.

Another great game I went to was an Astros/Dodgers game back in 2001. Astros won 10-9 off Moisés Alou Home Run at the bottom of the 9th, so that was pretty awesome.

The Rockets/Kings game I went to in 2002 was nothing special, but I met a lot of the Kings players after the game, so that will always be a tremendous experience for me.

But I would say my fondest memories attending sporting events comes from watching my cousin play basketball in high school. He was two grades above me, and we had been close since we were kids. And man... he was a great player. He lead his team in scoring every year averaging around 24 points a game, and his team always made it deep in the playoffs. But they could never win championship. But a lot of those games were just awesome, awesome experiences. High school sports are big in the south, so nearly each game was packed and exciting as all hell. I can't pin point just one or two games, because they were all special in one way or another.

Anyway, what are your stories and experiences attending live sporting events?

Most of the games I go to are Darlington ones (they're a "soccer" team. A bad one) so I don't tend to see memorable games. Luckily I will go to other games when get the offer. The Man Utd vs Villa from this season was good. A debutee scored with the last kick of the game to help Man Utd win 3-2, after trailing 2-1 with less than 10 minutes to go. It was a pretty good moment, not for Villa fans. Or Liverpool fans. Or 90% of neutrals tbh. For excitement though, that was probably the best i've been to.

As for the stand out moment of any games I've been to it would be Darlington vs Bury from April 2006. At the other end of the pitch, Darlo scored in the first few minutes. Instead of celebrating, there was more laughter and this is why...

[youtube]vl-p5MrPQQA[/youtube]

Of course Darlington still managed to lose though. But that one moment gave us something to laugh about on the journey home.

Since I work in sports, I've been fortunate enough to witness some pretty remarkable games, but nothing will ever compare to being in The Big House when Appalachian State upset Michigan.

I was running the opposite side handheld camera and in all seriousness, could not get a suitable shot for the simple fact I was too busy watching the game.

It's truly the only time in my life I became a fan while working. It's also the only time I've had the pleasure of shooting a game at Michigan and since I'm a massive Maize and Blue fan, it was bittersweet.

I was at the New England Patriots Oakland Raiders Snowbowl game in the 2002 NFL playoffs with the tuck rule where the Patriots went on to win because of this ruling and won the AFC championship. Venitari tied the game with a 45 yard kick with only about 30 seconds left kicking into the wind and snow. This put the game into overtime, where the Patriots won the cointoss and drove down field for a winning field goal kick. This game was the best football game I've ever been too based on the controversy that arose from it and how it changed how people view the tuck rule.

Sorry for mentioning it if your a Raiders fan!

Most of the games I've been to, have all been run of the mill. Nothing spectacular, nothing amazing...Just good old fashioned...whatever.

However, there was one NHL game I went to almost 12 years ago, between the New York Rangers, and Montreal Canadiens. The first two periods were great for anyone that loves defense. It was tied 0-0 after 2, and there was a fight, a penalty shot, and even a coach ejected from the game (some guy on Montreal's bench). Then the 3rd Period started, and about 10 seconds in, Adam Graves made it 1-0. The place erupted. Then, some stupid Habs fan was drunk and pissed, and got his ass kicked by almost his entire section. Then, with about 14 seconds to play, Jonas Hoglund made it 1-1, and Marc Savard just about killed Saku Koivu with a cross check. We go into overtime, where the Rangers are on a penalty kill, and it's all Montreal on offense. Richter is playing like a god, and Brian Leetch clears the puck, but Gretzky is back, and stops it before a two line pass...He passes ahead to Kevin Stevens who is all alone between the face off circles, and makes a sweet play to win the game. I've never seen a building come alive so fast, or so loud. It was a great game, and had a little more to it than all the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back