• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What About Zeb Colter As GM Of Raw?

HBK89Bill

Pre-Show Stalwart
http://wrestlingnewsdepot.com/2014/11/wwe-editorial-what-about-zeb-colter-as-the-new-raw-gm/

There was nothing wrong with The Authority. Stephanie and Trips were doing really well as the bosses of WWE programming. They fit the bill because they have the history and the real life credentials to support the role on television. Survivor Series was magnificent. Even if Sting hadn’t shown it, it was still one of the best matches of the year. Now that The Authority is officially gone, they are looking for the replacement. The Anonymous Raw GM angle has returned to make me despise watching Raw again. It is either that, or we’re going back to the guest GN of the week stuff. For whatever reason, WWE absolutely must have an authority figure to make matches and to hold “control” of the show. That could be numerous celebrities like Larry The Cable Guy, or others, but let’s try something else. What if they gave Zeb Colter a chance to be in charge?

Why not? The role of mid level stooge was perfect for someone like Big Johnny, Brad Maddox, or Vickie Guerrero. Now that both of them are gone, someone else needs a chance. Of course, everyone would love Regal, JBL, or even Paul Heyman to be in charge. Colter is sort of a wild card choice, but when you start to think about it, it could definitely work really well. He’s currently a face with Jack Swagger, but they aren’t really doing all that much at this point. Swagger could lose all the momentum if he suddenly didn’t have Colter with him, but Colter would thrive in the GM role.

We know he was the mic skills to do the job and at this point, he’s developed a pretty good reputation with the WWE audience. The Great American angle could definitely be used to give Colter the perspective of being fair and best for business based on his moral center. The audience would eat that up. Especially, with a character like Rusev crushing anyone from America. The ultimate question isn’t really if the WWE audience could accept him as the GN with power. The question is what he would do with that power once he had it. At the very least, Colter would be better than the Computer GM, or guest stars. He would at minimum give them a chance to think of something else better, or maybe the Colter idea would work. It just seemed odd that everyone is trying to figure out the next GM, but no one is really looking at Zeb Colter. It is an interesting idea and guess what, it is fresh and new.

The Authority angle has run its course, so I hope Cena doesn't bring them back to power. Vickie Guerrero was actually good IMO even with that not so good voice, but I could at least tolerate her. Regal, JBL, and Paul Heyman are great on the mic (especially Paul) and they'd make great GMs. Hey, I don't too much mind the Anonymous GM (aka Hornswoggle). That little beep made me chuckle a bit. But JBL needs to be the one reading the e-mails since he's the heel, though it's pretty much embedded in Cole.

I really don't know about Zeb, though. I think he'd be a pretty decent GM, but for him to go from a patriotic father figure to Raw GM so suddenly wouldn't make much sense in my eyes.

One guy that I DO NOT want back, however? John Laurinaitis. Please, WWE, DO NOT bring him back as GM, even if it was for one night. If I wanted a sleep aid, I'd have him in a heartbeat. But since I don't want a sleep aid and want to stay up for three hours to watch Raw, I just don't want Johnny back. I couldn't stand him. He was way too damn boring and dull on many levels. At least I could tolerate Vickie because of the "Excuse Me!" thing to generate some heat, but Johnny I just couldn't stand. Anybody but him (or the Authority). Brad Maddox would be a last resort IMO, but I didn't like him much. He came across as a little child, but at the very least he had charisma. So if all options are exhausted, I'd pick up Brad Maddox. But Johnny wouldn't be an option AT ALL.

One person I'd LOVE to see back as Raw GM? AJ Lee. You heard me right. She was very good in that role, and I especially loved how she skipped down to the ring in that business suit. Not to mention she's great on the mic. She brought crazy sexy to the GM role. I'd mark out if her music hit at the end of the show next week and she announced that she was running Raw the following week. Or better yet, save it until the Slammys. Whoo boy, I'm gonna get flamed for that kinda praise, but I'm entitled to my own opinion. However, with all of the reports that she'll be out the door soon (especially after her husband Phil - wait, my bad, CM Punk) blasted WWE so hard, I don't see it happening.

Zeb could work, I suppose. You know what would've been kind of funny is if The Authority's last act would be to put someone like Kane or Seth Rollins in charge. It would have made sense, too, when you think about it. Since that ship has more or less sailed by now, as long as it's not Vickie Guerrero I'd be happy. Sure, she got heat but it was more "please just go away already" heat. Besides, it seems every time she finally left, she was back within a month. So, no more Vickie for me.

Booking wise, it wouldn't make any sense. In addition, I'm more sick and tired of seeing old generation guys that can't give it up than I am seeing HHH or Stephanie. I don't need a guy that was from the territories in the 70s on my Monday Night TV anymore.

I thought New Day could have come out Harlem mobster style and said they were taking over, after all, it's a new day.

As much as I like Colter, I can't see him as GM of RAW. He is better off managing someone like Swagger, who needs it. I'm sure there is someone that they can pick that doesn't take away from the existing talent.

I wouldn't mind Vicki coming back, loved her. But she has her kids to think about and I heard she's going back to school to make something of herself that will ensure their future. More power to her for doing that.

It all depends on how the company views Zeb, doesn't it? He started out managing two guys and I figured, if anything, he would be handling a stable by now. Instead, he's down to one wrestler whose stock has dropped in recent months. After a feud with the up-and-coming Rusev ended with Swagger losing at every turn.....including a flag match, for love of Lincoln!....Jack has seldom been seen, which means Zeb ain't showing up much, either.

For sure, the effectiveness of a ringside assistant depends on how the person performing in the squared circle is doing......after all, if Brock Lesnar wasn't the guy running it in the ring, how much would we have been listening to Paul Heyman?.... but Zeb Colter seemed to be getting along on the strength of his political message, at least for a while. Still, the company was wise enough to ease back on that stuff, since it has a way of growing tiresome.

Instead, Zeb went face because Swagger went face. Personally, I wouldn't have minded watching a good guy wrestler being handled by an evil spokesperson, but I suppose the two really weren't important enough to warrant a full program at that point.

Zeb is better as a bad guy.....just his "aging Yosemite Sam" appearance speaks volumes.....and while I can't be sure his character is strong enough to handle being the GM of a brand, I'd like to see him try. In many ways, it would be the usual devious, heel-oriented pronouncements made by a GM, yet Zeb has his own style of delivering them....and it might work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back