Week 2 - Guy vs. UT

FromTheSouth

You don't want it with me.
This thread is for the debaters only. It closes Sunday at 6 PM CST.

UT will be affirming the topic.

Resolved: In a democratic society, felons ought to retain the right to vote.

I was waiting for UT to get his first response in, but it looks like that's not going to happen, at all. My apologies if my response seems half-assed, but why should I work on a thoughtful post when my opponent is probably not going to post anything?

Felons who are currently serving some sort of prison sentence should not be given the right to vote. The way I look at it is that once a person is jail, that shows an inability to follow the laws that are set in place. Why should these people have the ability to vote on potential new laws? People such as murderers, rapists, and child molesters committed crimes that are quite extreme, and should not be allowed to be given the right to vote for a politician who may be softer on crime and wants tax dollars spent on funding the jails, giving felons even more than they already get while in jail. I'm not saying jail is easy by any stretch of the imagination, but there are certain privileges that they get while in jail that makes it easier on them. Those rights are enough to begin with, as far as I'm concerned. They don't have to pay taxes, and they are going to vote democrat in all cases, it just adds votes to the Democratic candidates.

Once they get out of jail, and they become taxpayers, and they make an effort to become productive members of society, then they should be given the right to vote, as they are contributing.

Yeah, it was a good paragraph, but I think it could have been taken apart if you had an opponent. I give you 25 points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back