• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WCW or WWF

Shining Wizard

Gregory Helms > You
During the monday night wars which promotion did you watch WWF or WCW? They both put up their best shows, WCW won 87 weeks in a row or so, so someone is bound to watch WCW while others were prone to WWF. This was the period where the wrestling industry was booming. I watched WWF. I liked all the talent that was getting pushed on tv like Bret Hart, Undertaker, Kane, Stone Cold, The Rock, Triple H, DX and etc. I watched WCW sometimes mostly thunder but when it came to WCW vs. WWF I watched WWF more.

I was watching wwf at first then when nwo came and sting went to the crow and goldberg came in i was wcw all the way until the vince russo but having both companies around was the good days including the old ecw

I was a WCW guy, i like wwf too but i actually taped to so i could watch it after WCW i just liked how the cruizerweights and the mid-card basically ruled that promotion

WCW and the NWO got me back into wrestling at that time. Before that, the last time I followed wrestling was pre Wrestlemania 12. I think it was about a 2 year gap where I just didn't follow any wrestling at all. I lived in the west coast (still do) and what was great at that time was that TBS was still running on eastern standard time so I would get Nitro at 5pm then it would repeat at 7pm or when it went to 3 hours it would end at 8pm then the repeat would air at 9pm. Raw was just too late for me back then though. I would usually be tired from school to be awake that long and Nitro was on prety much when I got home from school.

well i like wcw because they jus seemed way more about wrestleing and they werent all soap oprah like wwf...and with wwf bein liek that they l;ost alot more fans then gaining fans i belive...

well i like wcw because they jus seemed way more about wrestleing and they werent all soap oprah like wwf...and with wwf bein liek that they l;ost alot more fans then gaining fans i belive...

Great first post.

I was a WCW fan. The WWF product cooled on me big time around the time of the Lex Express in the Summer of 94. I watched the NWA on TBS a lot as a young kid, but WWF captured my imagination from 88-94.

From Summer 94-Spring 96 I didn't really follow the product too much. I still watched old tapes and followed the business like I do now when the product gets unbearable.

The nWo completely had me hooked.

I would actually watch Raw live though because of the WCW replay.

I grew up a WWF fan, during the Monday Night Wars I preferred WCW because they focused more on wrestling but Austin grabbed me back into WWFor E, lol, but guys like Eddie, Jericho, Benoit, and Goldberg really made me love WCW. Kinda miss it to be honest!

always got raw over here in canada on monday, got nitro on wednesday back in the day...... so i got to watch them both, i knew wcw had a better product for awhile, but then when wwf brought back the hart foundation, it was all about raw for me. steve austin vs bret hart had to be one of the best fueds ever.

Here in Ireland, RAW didnt air till friday on sky sports back then and Nitro was around the same time on tnt. So I had to wait all week to see it. Didnt have internet till mid 98 so up until then what happened was always a surprise and even after getting internet sometimes I still wouldnt read results, just to keep it interesting!!

At one stage, the tv schedule was laid out that you could watch all of raw, then all of nitro, followed by thunder, all on a friday evening, so used to watch both but always considered myself WWF!!!

Around the time of the Monday Night Wars I was noly about 7 or 8. I had been watching WCW since I was about 4, and only watched WWF(E) on the Saturday morning show Superstars or whatever it was called. I was never really allowed to watch Raw. I guess WCW was more kid friendly with WWf being more teenager to adult oriented.
But I think the main reasno I was more of a fan of WCW than WWF was because of Live Events. WCW used to come to here about 2 times a year. The first time I remember WWF coming to Jacksonville, where I live, is around 1998-99 for an episode of Heat. By the time they came, I had already been to 3 or 4 WCW shows. But now WWE comes through here about as often as WCW used to. We used to just get Live shows, but now we are getting a PPV. I hope it doesn't suck.

I was more into WCW.. I was brought up on WCW Saturday Night and when they got a monday night show I thought it was awesome. I mean during this time I was already into WWF. I was watching Raw before Nitro and I was very into them also. But Nitro to me was the end all to be all. I mean one of my first Nitro moments I remeber was when Arn Anderson and Pillman gave Paul Orndorff a spike pildriver on the concrete. Then of course all the NWO stuff was great.

There greatest thing about the monday night wars to me was at one time my cable provider had the monday night shows on consecutive channels. It was great.. So during the wars I caught pretty much both of them.. Also I had Picture In Picture wo when one had a questionable match on I would put it on the small screen.

Actually, the NWO storyline was probably more soap opera than anything the WWF ever did.

I always seemed to be on the wrong side of the popularity. I liked the WCW more in the early 1990s, I liked the WWF through most of the NWO story, and then when WWF overtook WCW, I preferred WCW more, all the way to their demise. I'm not really sure why it was like that, but it was. I think one of the biggest reasons I switched from WWF to WCW was when Bret Hart switched companies. He's one of my four favorite wrestlers of all time (along with Sting, AJ Styles and Hulk Hogan).

when Nitro started it WAS A BETTER SHOW, they had better wrestlers and they had better angles. After WWF starting getting raunchy with Austin and DX, they started getting better. But i so loved WCW tradiontaly southern wrestling style roots. Bishoff bringing Lucha Libre to main stream was another brillant move and he is also responsible for THE BEST ANGLE OF ALL TIME: nWo

Speaking about angles: lets rate the best MONDAY NIGHT WAR ANGLES YOU REMEMBER: my top 5 are:

5)Chris Jericho WWF debut - do I have to say more...??

4)Goldberg beating Hogan for the title: for free on NITRO!

3)Bret Hart turning heel and cursing on RAW: he said BULLSHIT!!! OH MY GOD!

2) WWF buys Nitro and McMahon is on TNT!!! WHAT THE F??!!

1) McMahon introduces Bishoff as the GM of RAW: ....................stunned.

I grew up watching WWF. In the 90's it seemed that WWF was dying. WCW seemed to have more action, bigger stars, and better storylines, in my opinion. WCW had the NWO, Hogan, Goldberg and other big talent. I loved it. Then they got out of hand with the NWO black and white, NWO red and black, OWN, and the LWO. I think that had a lot to do with WCW's demise. I happened to watch Raw one night and seen Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock. I've been a WWE fan since!

Growing up, my parents never really allowed me to watch WWE programming, though because WCW offered a cleaner product, I was allowed to watch WCW shows. I was just a bigger fan of the WCW stars of that period as well as the wrestling matches put on by WCW cruiserweights like Rey Mysterio and Psicosis as well as technical wrestling stars like Chris Benoit and Bret Hart. That's not to say, of course, that I wasn't a fan of WCW's big name talent as I still consider Sting to be my all time favorite wrestler.

Since I've gotten older and am now able to go back and take a few peeks at WWE's product back in 1998, I'd probably still go with my favoritism towards WCW. Outside of Austin, The Rock, and Degeneration X, not a lot appealed to me during that period. It was only during 1999 that WCW began feeling most stale, and by 2000, I had given up on watching wrestling all together. Honestly I believe WWE had the superior product from 2000 and onward, though I can only judge that by what little I have seen out of both promotions.

If you ask me, WCW's lifespan was cut short due to not altogether due to Vince McMahon, but also by the executives at Time Warner who were not allowing Bischoff any time on their networks on he bought out the company. At the end of 2000, WCW was at the best it had been in a long time and in my opinion was on the verge of reclaiming much of the momentum they had lost over the years.

WCW or WWF, very hard to decide to be honest. However, ive gotta go with WWF. Even though WCW beat WWF for 80 something weeks, WWF always had the better show in my opinion.

I was all about WCW until DX came about, more so the DX after HBK got hurt. IMO, WCW at one point just had the better wrestling, especially the cruiserweights, that was a point I always looked forward to. WWF had the deeper storylines. I can't remember any big storylines form WCW but remember almost every big storyline from the WWF in that era.

all in all they both need each other to get he best out of each other i think, i mean look at WWE now, its been sucking for a long time now, nothing very exciting happens anymore, and its ooo predictable, maybe once in a while i will wanna watch a main event but look at Raw's rating recently, 2.8 now, not looking good at all.

I was one of those people who watched both shows.

I was more about seeing certain wrestlers than I was about watching a specific show. I loved watching Raven in WCW with hte flock, I thought Billy Kidman was cool so I would watch his matches.

I was never a Hogan fan so if he was on Nitro I would watch whatever was on Raw.

When WCW announced that Mick Foley won the title on Raw because it was tpaed I was one of those htousands of people who flipped to Raw to see Foley win.

I can honestly say I was 50/50

it always seemed to me like WCW was the B show where I lived. It shocked me that so many people were watching it across the world.

In my opinion WWF(E) Has always been better, even during the WCW dominated streak, WCW threw money at a lot of older wrestlers that couldnt cut it for much longer(Bret Hart the exception) most of them had already had their peak years and the onlyway was downhill after that. I remember watching them both and WCW did have some great matches at midcard and cruiserweight level, but suck storyline as some 2 jobbers were wrestling, cant remember their names, and a casket opened and one of them saw The Demon, fainted and lost the match?? Thats pretty lame!!!

For the most part I was a wcw guy. between the NWO, stings "crow" change and the luchadore matches, I just felt they had a better overall product. I guess when Russo cam around my opinion changed but I still found myself switching for WCW's 15 minute overlap rather then stay and watch the ending of Raw.

I watched both ya know switched back and forth all the time lol

It made for a good monday night as you had no idea what would happen

During the Monday night wars it was WCW, purely by default though.

I watched the World Wrestling Federation solidly up until spring 1996 but then my parents had to cut back on some of the expenses we had, one of the casualties was Sky TV. And WWF programming was only shown on Sky Sports and Sky One at the time. So I lost track of WWF from just after In Your House 7 when Shawn Michaels beat Diesel to retain the WWF Title.

Anyway now that all the good satellite channels had been cut off I was left with the crappy freeview ones. One of which was Cartoon Network which switched to TNT at 9pm every night. I happened to be watching Cartoon Network one Friday night when it changed over to TNT and the first show that was on when TNT started on a Friday night was WCW Nitro and as fate would have it the first night I tuned into WCW, Razor Ramon came through the crowd and began claiming they were taking over. As 10 year old watching that, I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I didn't know his name was Scott Hall, it was way before the internet so I didn't know about all the backstage B.S. or all the wrestlers jumping between companies. I thought WWF guys were coming to invade WCW. Of course this was not the case but it felt that way. Then a few weeks later Diesel appears on WCW TV and the two of them begin talking about a third guy who by this point I was convinced was Shawn Michaels with the way things were going. However it turned out to be Hulk Hogans big heel turn of course and from then I was hooked.

Don't get me wrong, I have always been a WWF fan and I began picking up the pieces of the Federation from later 1998 onwards but for the hottest period of the Monday Night Wars I was WCW by default.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back