Funk vs. Hodge

• Funk U

• Hodge

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
The following match takes place in the WCW Region underWCW Rules from Houston, TX.

#7. "The Hardcore Legend" Terry Funk
funk_terry.jpg

vs.

#58. Danny Hodge
Danny_Hodge.JPG

I really hate that the old school legends like Pat O'Connor and Danny Hodge are going out early. The match-ups are frustrating. O'Connor gets Hogan and Hodge gets Funk, while Jeff Hardy gets Ron Killings. Uhg.

I am going to back the Funker here. I am familiar with Hodge, and I encourage each of you to learn more about him (as I don't have time to post a long essay on him now), but Funk is one of the higher seeds with a real chance to upset major players in this tournament. Funk is an NWA legend, an ECW legend, and just a legend overall. He's an accomplished wrestler, a real tough guy, and of course a hardcore mainstay. He's done so much in his career, he's like the Chris Chelios of professional wrestling. Hard nosed, and can't keep him down.

I'm going to go with Terry Funk here, because I think his generally more illustrious career and the fact that he has excelled in every environment he has been in should be enough to take him over here.

That being said, I could definitely be swayed. Primarily because Hodge was an accomplished wrestler, winning a Commonwealth silver, but for his size, his strength was incredible. He can crush an apple in one hand. Think about that for a second. An apple. One hand. I'm really borderline here, but currently thinking Funk at this point.

If I remember right, Kurt Angle said that Hodge could have wrestled circles around him. This comes down to a simple question: is anyone at ringside. One on one, Funk gets destroyed without weapons. He's good, but Hodge would get him on the mat and rip him apart. If Funk can get get him down and beat on him, this is all Funk. Funk usually had a manager and if they come into play, be it by distracting the referee or Hodge, Funk wins easily. That's what I'd have to go with.

Hodge is by FAR the superior wrestler. It's not even close in that aspect. Hodge was simply amazing. He would wrestle circles around Funk. He would beat Funk if Funk did not cheat, which is very unlikely. That being said, I have to choose Funk because the bastard will cheat. Hodge really deserves to go on, as he would beat Funk in a real match, but here Funk would cheat.

I'm going with Funk, but only after one hell of a beating from Hodge. They'll put on what could be the best wrestling of the entire tournament, but Funk will win because he's taken far worse beatings, and in been in far more pain, than any man in the history of wrestling. If he can get past Yokozuna's size in the later rounds, he'll fare well in the gimmick matches, and could go further than anyone thought.

Terry Funk is much more than just a hardcore legend. Yes, he had a tremendous amount of success in ECW and resurrected his career in that company. But let's not forget that Funk also had a great amount of success in the NWA and the WWF. He CAN wrestle- with or without flaming branding irons. Funk's career spands 4 decades; there are very few guys that can make that statement. The fact that he lasted that long in a business where most guys only get their 15 minutes of fame is a tribute to his accomplishments and career successes. Funk was a stand up guy who got excited to put people over. He was simply a great wrestler.

This match here would be a slugfest. Funk will find a way to make sure Hodge doesn't get him down or it is all over for Funk. And I'm sure Funk will find a way to get some cheat shots in to benefit himself. And in the end, after a brutal beating for each, Funk heads on.

Wow, this is a tough one. Location plays no part here, as Hodge comes from a state which is just right above Texas. On one hand, you have Hodge, who was an amazing wrestler and who could run circles around the best American Cruiserweights of today. On the other hand, you have Funk, who is one tough SOB and who is an extremely thick and well-built man who could hold his own against anyone.

If this were in Japan or in ECW, I would give Funk the win hands down. However, we are in a promotion that, for most of its existence, valued the actual ability to wrestle much more than spots and talking. Damn, even though I love Terry Funk, I'm going to go with Hodge. If Funk only had a little bit more size, I would go with him. But, alas, he doesn't.

Pick: Hodge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back