• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Was anyone impressed with Titus O'Neil on Smackdown?

ultramattman

Pre-Show Stalwart
Just caught up with Friday's Smackdown, with the debut of Titus O'Neil and Darren Young. While Young is as stiff and bland as ever, I was really struck by how relaxed and funny O'Neil was in his skit with Teddy Long. He's got one serious physique as well. T&D didn't do anything much to grab my attention in the ring, but he's already got more poise on the mic than, say, Kofi Kingston or Drew McIntyre.

This guy was the first man eliminated in season 2 of NXT, saved himself with an off-the-cuff exit promo that got the crowd cheering, and has now worked his way up to the main roster. I'm eager to see what he makes of himself.

I thought I was the only one. Back on NXT season two, I thought he was an absolute bore. I have never been tempted or cared enough to watch any of his character progression down in FCW. But he certainly looked good on Smackdown Friday night. His in ring work could use a little improvement, but I realized he had something I never thought I'd see out of him; charisma. During his promo backstage with Teddy Long, he looked like he was actually comfortable in his shoes - same with his match. Learning to display your untapped charisma is the first step in making it to the big time. He deserves credit here. While Darren Young seemed like the leader of the team here, I was more focused on Titus. Titus can make this tag team great if the WWE is willing to push the division. Titus O’Neil and only Titus O’Neil can make this team a win.

I enjoyed Titus. I too did not even care for him on NXT season 2. I thought he was the worst and would be released. Then I saw some things he did on NXT and didn't think he was that bad. Now on SD, I thought he did a good job and I'd like to see him and Young stick together because they're good as a team.

I didn't like his backstage segement at all. He came off quite buffoonish like something out of a Tyler Perry movie (for those who don't know, Tyler Perry movies are very stereotypical degrading movies aimed at black audiences). Darren Young wearing a fisted pick in his 'fro? C'mon. I'm not impressed so much with their in ring work just yet. Titus O'neil is a big dude and should come off as more aggressive, i belive. They have the potential to be a classic Speed and Power tag team, just drop the minstrel show antics please!

I dunno what it was about it but I just didn't like it for some reason. It's good to see someone who shows charisma and all but that segment seemed really forced or something. I don't really know why but I really wasn't all that fussed with it.

I didn't like his backstage segement at all. He came off quite buffoonish like something out of a Tyler Perry movie (for those who don't know, Tyler Perry movies are very stereotypical degrading movies aimed at black audiences). Darren Young wearing a fisted pick in his 'fro? C'mon. I'm not impressed so much with their in ring work just yet. Titus O'neil is a big dude and should come off as more aggressive, i belive. They have the potential to be a classic Speed and Power tag team, just drop the minstrel show antics please!

I wouldn't describe O'Neil and Young as "minstrel show antics" just because they act like average black men. In fact I feel WWE has been portraying black wrestlers in a largely positive way the past few years. Even though I enjoyed Cryme Tyme's skits, it's pretty derogatory to feature your black tag team wrestlers as outspoken criminal thugs. O'Neil and Young came off confident, powerful and cocky on Smackdown this week. They felt like heels but have the potential to become a fan favorite team. They're both very big men and when you compare the rest of the tag team division to those two, they definitely look like contenders for the tag championship.

Yes, I thought I was the only one! Not just him, him and Young! I always supported both of them, and I hope they get up on the main roster with the tag team division. During that match, I was actually standing on my feet in support of them. I haven't done that since I was a little kid. I'm glad that WWE has found 2 relatively young African American males that have decent talent! I'm very proud of them both!

The first thing I noticed when I saw the two was the pick in Darren Young's hair, and I agree that needs to go. I, like you, also think the in ring work really needs worked on, but Titus did show me more on Friday than he did on NXT. It's going to take some time, but I think they will make a good tag team someday. Titus will be the stronger of the two, but I wouldn't say that he impressed me as much as he showed me he had potential.

Honestly I was not impressed buy Titus, he threw a few punches and kicks during the match and held up one of the Usos for the finish. Young impressed me a lot more the way he was in the match about 90% of the time, has a lot of technical wrestling skill and can sell quite well

I thought Titus was excellent in the backstage segment, he seems to be really comfortable talking smack and looks to be a real interesting character. He definently seems to be the main guy in the tag team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back