• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

"Wall-E" Review Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Steamboat Ricky

WZCW's Living Legend
WALL-E was the first movie that I've seen in the theatres since Cloverfield, and it did NOT disappoint. If you are a sucker for cute, pseudoromantic films with awesome little robot dudes, then go see this flick.

What amazed me the most about this film was that the majority of the dialogue was simply a repetition of the characters' names. What made it amazing was that no other dialogue was necessary. You could sense the emotions of the characters without any further speaking, and that just blew my mind. Brilliant.

And, of course, the most amazing part of the film was that it contained Flair's theme music. I marked out really hardcore when I heard it. :flair:

Any thoughts on the film?

The film was amazing, and I'm not a big fan of the Pixar films, except for Toy Story because those movies were bad ass.

The movie was great, and had pretty dark undertones for a movie geared towards children. The robot itself was pretty damn funny.

However, I'm surprised that there hasn't been any backlash against the movie. It has a pretty damning social commentary in there with are over reliance on technology and are epidemic with Obesity currently going on. Pretty heavy stuff for a kids flick, and I'm guessing the reason there isn't any outrage is because the people it was aiming at are too dense to realize that they were having a shot taken at them.

Overall, pretty damn good movie, in fact, probably my favorite movie of the year so far, and I've seen them all pretty much.

I know a lot of people will think I'm crazy for this, but I feel that Wall-E is the best Disney/Pixar film since Toy Story, and I feel that it was even better than it. The movie had such a powerful message to those who understood it. Since the movie is aimed at small kids, it's easy to see why all the people being obese, or why robots are doing everything wouldn't really get too much flack, mainly cause I think most parents figure no little kid is going to be able to figure out the real message behind Wall-E.

Overall the emotion of the movie was incredible. There was not too much said between Wall-E and Eve, but it turned out that there didn't need to be. Throughout the whole movie you could tell the two robot's emotions just by looking at them. Wall-E through his eyes and head gestures, and Eve through her personality and actions. My girlfriend cried during certain parts, and strangly I was able to relate to some of Wall-E's actions... Getting out of bed in the morning would be one of them... Overall for me though. I saw a movie that was full of funny moments and a really, really, powerful message to anyone who understands it. I give Wall-E a 10 out of 10. Since seeing it I have picked up a few pieces of Wall-E merch including an i Wall-E which is probably the most amazing thing I've ever seen...

However, I'm surprised that there hasn't been any backlash against the movie. It has a pretty damning social commentary in there with are over reliance on technology and are epidemic with Obesity currently going on. Pretty heavy stuff for a kids flick, and I'm guessing the reason there isn't any outrage is because the people it was aiming at are too dense to realize that they were having a shot taken at them.

I agree with this completely. When I went to see this movie this past weekend, I was thinking to myself that they were taking some pretty massively heavy shots at the current state of condition regarding obesity.

I didn't even think about the outlook on them mocking how we overly depend on technology to do things for us. But after recalling the situation it really is kinda "deep" for a children's movie.

However in saying that, can you really say that Pixar produces children's movies, so much as adult related humor in their animated flicks? Any Pixar movie I can recall has more adult related issues and hidden humor than any other cartoon/animated movie. And while children may love them because of their colorful animations, I honestly think they're made to focus more for adults.

As far as Wall-E in general, I loved the movie. Ricky was right with how it didn't have great dialogue but what little it did have, combined with how great they expressed emotion was more than enough to find the movie hilarious as well as with a touch of drama.

Going into the movie, I may have been more excited than my daughter. Based on the previews, I had really high hopes. Honestly, I can’t say that I liked this film.

Compared to previous Pixar movies, Wall-E was a letdown. The biggest turnoff was the lack of dialogue. I’m used to dialogue heavy films like Toy Story, Monsters Inc., Nemo, and Ratatouille, which are some of my all-time favorite kid movies.

Much of the film looks and feels bleak and lonely. Wall-E didn’t deliver the humor and wit that I’ve come to expect from other Pixar movies. I laughed maybe three times; that was during the scenes with M-O the little cleaner bot.

The movie unfolds at a slow pace, which tested my patience and daughter’s attention span. The first 15 minutes there’s talking, no action, just visuals of the abandoned robot and desolate planet Earth. The film picks up once Wall-E joins Eve abroad the spaceship but still it felt like nothing much was happening. This was one of those films half-way through you realize all the best moments were in the trailer.

The underlying themes of consumerism, waste, obesity, and over reliance on technology were completely lost on my daughter. Those issues are a bit deep for a 7-year old and just not very appealing subject matter in general. Still Wall-E is one of the most relatable, lovable, downright cute characters. Wall-E and his longing for love are what is truly great and memorable about this movie.

Sometimes you have to see a movie again to truly recognize and appreciate all its trying to accomplish. So I’m hoping a second viewing when it comes out on DVD will enhance my take on the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back