• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Videotaped Execution in Georgia

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/07/21/georgia.execution/index.html?hpt=hp_p1&iref=NS1 said:
In a case that drew national attention because it was to be videotaped, convicted murderer Andrew Grant DeYoung was executed by lethal injection Thursday night, a corrections department spokeswoman said.

DeYoung was declared dead at 8:04 p.m. at the Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison in Jackson, said Joan Heath, the spokeswoman. His last words were: "I'm sorry for everyone I've hurt," according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, which was one of the media outlets granted access to the execution.

The execution occurred after the state Supreme Court denied DeYoung's motion to take another look at a lower court judge's decision Tuesday allowing the state to replace sodium thiopental with pentobarbital as the anesthetizing agent in the execution, the court's statement said.

That lower court judge's ruling, however, did approve the rare videotaping of the execution at the request of DeYoung's attorneys, who argued that the substitution of drugs would cause needless pain and suffering.

For the first time in Georgia, a videographer was present in the execution chamber to document DeYoung's death and his reaction to a new three-drug lethal injection that anti-death penalty activists said caused unnecessary pain and suffering, according to reports in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

On October 13, 1995, DeYoung was convicted in Cobb County of fatally stabbing his parents, Kathryn and Gary DeYoung, and his 14-year-old sister, Sarah.

His final meal was an institutional one -- chicken and rice, Heath said.

DeYoung's special request for pizza, breadsticks, all-fruit strawberry preserves, Concord grape juice and vanilla ice cream was carried out on Wednesday, Heath said.

With Thursday's execution, Georgia has put to death 51 men since the U.S. Supreme Court reinstated the death penalty in 1973. DeYoung was the 28th inmate put to death by lethal injection, the state corrections department said.

I found this case particularly interesting, even above and beyond the typical "are you for or against the death penalty" discussion. Essentially, the issue here is that a Georgia man convicted of killing his family was sentenced to die via lethal injection. The drugs the courts chose were under scrutiny for causing "pain and suffering," and the lawyers of the condemmed requested video evidence of the execution.

Aside from the clear questions of methods of execution (which we'd all be happy to discuss here anyway), what I want to pose is should something like an execution be videotaped, or is it took mirbid / obscene? Do you think there is a risk of the execution video leaking or finding its way onto the internet? Is there a sanctity of life issue associated with video proof of somebody's execution.

What I think is happening here is that the lawyers will attempt to drag this case out by filing a claim that the execution did, in fact, cause pain and suffering and try to use the video tape as admissable courtroom evidence. By dragging out the case, even post-mortem, the lawyers continue making money. And if they sue the State, it's the taxpayers who foot the bill.

I don't see the need for this at all. It's not a meeting or some legislative decision that is being filmed. It's a person intentionally being killed. I mean think about that for a second. People die every day but in this case it's planned and someone is there with a camera watching it happen. I can't quite put my finger on why but I think this falls under the category of stuff that you just shouldn't do. It's morbid in a way and I don't see the benefit of it at all. Like IC said, there's a chance of legal issues such as the family of the executed suing for invasion of privacy or something like that. At the end of the day, I don't see the benefit of this. I mean, the guy is dead. Do we need video evidence of such a thing?

I won't argue for or against the death penalty.

I don't find anything wrong with video taping the execution in this particular case because it was being used as evidence in an investigation as to whether the LI drugs they used caused harm. It's not like they were showing it to the victims' family and friends to give them satisfaction, or for public entertainment or anything. If someone commits murder, they give up their rights, and that includes their right to privacy.

I think its important to first understand what pentobarbital is. It's a short lasting hypnotic and anti-seizure medication, which has been used in states such as Texas, Oklahoma, and Ohio for almost a year as the preferred method of execution. It's also used in the state of Oregon for Physician assisted suicide. In large doses, it causes such a severe hypnotic state so that the person's heart stops, which is exactly what previous lethal injections have done as well.(stopped the heart). The person who takes the lethal dose experiences no sufferring, because theyre in such a hypnotic state that they are unaware of anything going on around them, and essentially unable to use any of their senses, including the ability to feel. It's a merciful way to die, as there's simply no sufferring involved. Unless the argument is that the hypnotic state is "cruel and unusual punishment", then their argument for obtaining the tape is baseless.

I firmly believe that there's no reason for the taping of an exectution. There are only a select few that are allowed to attend the execution, essentially making it a private funeral. If it is made available, it disrupts the privacy of the man's last moments of life. Im not going to argue that the man doesn't deserve to die, because he very well might. But if put into the hands of lawyers, it goes from being private to public. The lawyers arent going to just keep it to themselves, they're going to use it as a statement that the man sufferred unreasonably. In the viral world we now live in, even if its in a closed courtroom, there's always the chance of the videotape being leaked. Im not sure what they're trying to accomplish here, because the man is already dead. Do they want to use it for future clients who wind up on death row as an argument against using pentabarbital? In any situation, Im not sure what benefit this provides to anyone.

Im glad the issue of sanctity of life was brought up. While Im a proponent of the death penalty in severe cases, I believe all people have a right to both the sanctity of both life and death. There's a reason that executions aren't broadcast. We see reporters outside of the courtroom, and we hear comments from those in attendance, but execution videos don't make it on CNN or MSNBC. Why? Because despite heinous actions, the attempt here is to protect the sanctity of the final moments of this man's life, and his death thereafter. By putting the tape in the hand of others, it becomes public, which violates that sanctity and protection of the man's life and death. This isn't being used as a message to slow down crime, or show people the horrors that await them if they commit heinous crimes. It's simply propaganda that allows his lawyers to exploit his last moments in order to continue to fulfill their bottom line. While it might not be a legal matter, it surely is one of morality and conscience. If a lawyer truly feels that it's unnessary and cruel, present scientific confirmation that backs the argument up, not a videotape. This pisses on the ideals of morality and conscience, and certainly on the man's sanctity of both life and death.

When you kill anyone, especially a child, you should lose every right you could possibly have because there's nothing worse that you could do. If he'd killed my child I'd have killed him in public myself, in the most humiliating way possible. So no, I couldn't care less that this was videotaped. He still got a death better than his victims, and if he did feel pain and suffering? Fucking good, why should he get a nice easy death? Videotape or not, I'm glad another piece of scum is gone from the Earth. It's not something that should be put onto the internet, because it's not something I'd want young children to see. But I laugh at any argument that even mentions the child murderers rights, and especially 'murderer' and 'his sanctity of life' in the same sentence.

should something like an execution be videotaped, or is it took mirbid / obscene? Do you think there is a risk of the execution video leaking or finding its way onto the internet? Is there a sanctity of life issue associated with video proof of somebody's execution.

As for videotaping, for evidence, its perfectly fine, provided its with consent AND never gets released to public AND the lawyers that need it only take it for a limited time. That said, there's also nothing wrong with taking framed stills of the person and comparing photographs of before and after. I'd say that's more helpful anyway because you'd have to slow the tape down ANYWAY to notice any twitching that they'll, for some reason, claim is his soul crying out because of the immense torture carried upon him.

Is it morbid or obscene? No. We've seen more gory shit in the movies than a man going to sleep and not waking up. It would be morbid if this was a firing squad or if it was a gunshot wound to the face, but it isn't.

As for the sanctity of life, that goes out the window the minute you even preach the death penalty. Fact is, you're intentionally taking a life, so that "sanctity" part is gone out the window ANYWAY. Personally, I prefer if people would just stop being hypocrites when it comes to the death penalty. If you support it, support it fully, and don't whine about the holiness of life because you're supporting a doctrine that takes it away.

Finally, when it comes to the drug they used that causes cruel and unusual punishment, unless he's had convulsions, seizures, or some shit like that, he's clearly not suffering. The most suffering he'll have is the prick of the needle which is a great suffering we all must endure when we go to the doctor. So, no, its not cruel or unusual punishment when doing lethal injection. The Lawyers will probably want to drag this out and get some cash but as far as lethal injection goes, specifically, this one, there's nothing "cruel" (except killing him, of course, I don't why they didn't think of that yet) about it.

I remember seeing a video of a taliban beheading someone on a friends phone. So morbid/obscene? No. I'd say this is faaaaaar more mellow than what really goes on in this world. Things were done to him that people felt were unwarranted. So he was used as a tool. Was that a good thing to do? Depends on how you see it. His death was used as an example of why lethal injections should be less painful. Whether it was morally wrong or not, his death ended up having use. In my eyes, better than most deaths. Criminal or not.

Is it morbid or obscene? No. We've seen more gory shit in the movies than a man going to sleep and not waking up.

I honestly don't care about everything else you posted and just glanced over it, but this stuck the fuck out to me. You are comparing seeing fake decapitation with fake blood and fake scenarios with an actual person's death. Movies are fake and everybody knows not to take anything you have mentioned seriously. This is a man's death. Not some fucking actor, a real person being killed. There is NOTHING more horrific than that. I don't care if you watch the most brutal movie ever made, nothing compares to the death of another human being, peaceful or not.

As for your questions IC, I feel that any death should not be videotaped. I'm all for the death penalty and what this man did was horrific enough to deserve death, but these are his last moments alive. As if it isn't enough for the people invited to see him die, but then there is somebody videotaping it? That just strikes me as odd. I personally wouldn't be able to sit by and video tape somebody dying while knowing it was going to happen. Again, i'm not defending his right, I just feel it shouldn't be on camera. As for it being released on the internet, there is always a chance unless it is completely destroyed and no copies were made. It's not something that should ever find it's way into the public, but there is always a chance.

Is it morbid or obscene? No. We've seen more gory shit in the movies than a man going to sleep and not waking up.

I honestly don't care about everything else you posted and just glanced over it, but this stuck the fuck out to me. You are comparing seeing fake decapitation with fake blood and fake scenarios with an actual person's death. Movies are fake and everybody knows not to take anything you have mentioned seriously. This is a man's death. Not some fucking actor, a real person being killed. There is NOTHING more horrific than that. I don't care if you watch the most brutal movie ever made, nothing compares to the death of another human being, peaceful or not.

As for your questions IC, I feel that any death should not be videotaped. I'm all for the death penalty and what this man did was horrific enough to deserve death, but these are his last moments alive. As if it isn't enough for the people invited to see him die, but then there is somebody videotaping it? That just strikes me as odd. I personally wouldn't be able to sit by and video tape somebody dying while knowing it was going to happen. Again, i'm not defending his right, I just feel it shouldn't be on camera. As for it being released on the internet, there is always a chance unless it is completely destroyed and no copies were made. It's not something that should ever find it's way into the public, but there is always a chance.

I understand. Its a traumatic experience watching a man sleep and then not waking up. So traumatic.

If you read my post you'd see that I object against beheading and fire squads getting taped. This is non-lethal as can be. The only "disturbing" part is that he's going to die and you and him are fully aware of this. You're also fully aware that a child will die this instant while you throw out half a plate of steak. The difference between one and the other is that one, you cannot help, and have not seen to experience the gravity of that situation. While the other you're looking at a man who is DYING. Part of you would feel sick watching because it is seeing a man not be a man anymore, and seeing that you're watching it, you'd unconsciously believe you're in a position to influence this. Which is why its makes it so disturbing.

I also said, taking still pictures would be more helpful, but you skimmed it, so I'll ignore that.

I'm not snuff film ethusiaist, I'm simply talking in a realistic manner. You ever watch golf? You ever see any sort of out of control reaction at a bad shot during a normal game? This is just like that. No reaction, no dramatic display of death. Simply death. That might difficult enough, but if its evidence, then its evidence.

I understand. Its a traumatic experience watching a man sleep and then not waking up. So traumatic.

Yea, it's that simple. Watching a man die is just like watching somebody go to sleep. Why didn't I think of that?

If you read my post you'd see that I object against beheading and fire squads getting taped.

Yea, I read that. Never said you weren't against it.

This is non-lethal as can be. The only "disturbing" part is that he's going to die and you and him are fully aware of this. You're also fully aware that a child will die this instant while you throw out half a plate of steak.

Children die when i'm walking down the street. Doesn't make it any less tragic nor would I be able to watch them die. I wouldn't be able to watch anybody die in any manor which differs from you considering you've seen worse in fake movies.

The difference between one and the other is that one, you cannot help, and have not seen to experience the gravity of that situation. While the other you're looking at a man who is DYING. Part of you would feel sick watching because it is seeing a man not be a man anymore, and seeing that you're watching it, you'd unconsciously believe you're in a position to influence this. Which is why its makes it so disturbing.

The difference is that i'm seeing one instead of simply knowing about it. No matter how peaceful the passing is, it's a terrible thing to witness and would scar me for the rest of my life. I understand you can't comprehend this from your points comparing it to movies and golf.

I also said, taking still pictures would be more helpful, but you skimmed it, so I'll ignore that..

Saw it as well. Never even addressed that point so I don't know why you decided to point it out. Second part of my post wasn't directed at you.

I'm not snuff film ethusiaist, I'm simply talking in a realistic manner. You ever watch golf? You ever see any sort of out of control reaction at a bad shot during a normal game? This is just like that. No reaction, no dramatic display of death. Simply death. That might difficult enough, but if its evidence, then its evidence.

I hope you understand just how dumb it sounds comparing golf to a man dying. I agree with you, pictures would suffice. Not here to argue that. Simply here to argue how non-chalant you believe a man dying to be. Correct me if i'm wrong but you seem to think it's just fine and dandy because there is no struggle or pain. Again, i'm not arguing any of your points except where you compare a death in real life to a movie. I actually agree with some of your points, just cannot fathom how a movie is worse than real life.

To address the original issue, I definitely think that there is a chance this video will find its way onto the internet at some point. It is also likely that this will be used as a scare tactic in future cases, a blatant exploitation of this man's death. I don't want this to turn into a discussion of the death penalty itself as that seems to have been avoided thus far, but the taping of this execution could bring to light how this specific method could violate the 8th Amendment which is the reason the death penalty was originally abolished in 1972.

Contrary to what a few posters on this thread seem to believe, lethal injection is far from a painless method of execution (http://articles.sfgate.com/2007-04-...ium-bromide-lethal-injection-sodium-pentothal). Just because the victim is rendered motionless does not mean that they do not feel pain. If this video shows DeYoung in what a jury could interpret as agony, then death row inmates may be able to exploit it. The Supreme Court decision in Hill v. McDonough says that those on death row have the right to challenge the constitutionality of lethal injection as it pertains to "cruel and unusual punishment". This video could be the swaying factor needed for stays of execution or even a conversion of sentence to life without parole.

I personally do not think that things like executions should be allowed to have audiences at all, let alone be taped, because it is disrespectful to the person who is being killed. Granted these people did horrible things, but they are still human beings. To treat their death like an event makes a mockery of their life, no matter how bad of a person they were. Then there is the issue of the video potentially ending up on the internet, which just opens the door for all sorts of controversial issues. It would be too controversial, resulting in the video getting banned from several sites. I get it, there are going to be people who dislike someone enough to want taped proof of their execution. I disagree with that. No matter how much someone is disliked, they are still a human being when it comes down to it and deserve to not have their life mocked in such a way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back