• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Videogame-inspired bands

The Doctor

Great and Devious
Staff member
Super Moderator
If you check my iPod, you'd notice that most of it is composed of music that is either inspired by or a cover of videogame music. I'd like to talk about them as I find them, and ask if you know any or your opinions on them.

First, I'd like to talk about...

THE PROTOMEN

The Protomen are a Nashville, TN-based band who write original compositions loosely (VERY loosely) based on the Mega Man series of games. They have released two acts so far in their rock opera epic.

"The Protomen", their self-titled debut album that depicts an Orwellian dystopia only known as "The City", which Albert Wily and his robots rule with an iron fist. A worker and scientist, Thomas Light, builds a robot to attempt to take back the city. This robot's name was Protoman. Unfortunately, his plans do not work out, and Protoman is killed. Light realizes that Protoman was more than a robot, he was a son.
Years later, Light creates another robot son, called Mega Man. He does not want him to fight, yet Mega Man does so anyway. The rest of the story has to be heard to be believed.

Act II, "The Father of Death", shows how the city got to be like it was, with Light and Wily working together to make a better world, only for Wily to stab Light in the back, murder his lover, and use the machines to conquer.

The Protomen are unique in several ways; for one, no one knows their names or history. They keep it kayfabe, even in interviews. For another, their CDs are accompanied with books that contain stage directions and the actual stories behind the songs, seamlessly integrated with the lyrics. If you go to lyricwiki, you can find the lyrics and stage directions, so you can enjoy the CDs fully.

Of course, I can't talk about The Protomen without talking about

THE MEGAS

The Megas are similar to The Protomen in that they are a Mega Man-related rock band, but that's where the similarities end. The Megas remix actual music from the games, and each song is told from a different perspective. It's interesting to see how different each robot master is. I've been listening to their debut album, Get Equipped on repeat all week.

Branching off strictly Mega Man-related bands, we have...

The Adventures of Duane and BrandO

Sadly, this "UNrap" group has split because of creative and personal differences, but not before releasing their magnum opus, LP Of Devastation. DnB rapped over videogame tracks to make catchy, humor-infused tracks. Just fun.

And finally...

OverClocked Remix
www.ocremix.org

OverClocked Remix is a videogame music arranging community that does tons of music. Any videogame is up for grabs, as is any style. Zelda techno? They've got it. Orchestral Mario? Got that too. Seriously, the community is massive, as is their library. The best part? It's all free.

So here are some videogame-inspired bands/groups/etc., and I'll post more as I discover them. Do you think those that cover or are inspired by videogame music can be considered "real" bands as their ideas are not entirely original? Have you heard any videogame-inspired bands lately? What are your thoughts on these bands?

All good stuff Doc, im a big fan of The Megas, first time i heard them was in a Botchamania video (which by the way everyone should as many as possible) and instantly loved it. In part because of my strong love for video games, and also my uyndying love for excessive synths.

If you want something a little heavier and different but still heavily inspired by classic games check out Horse The Band, particularly the song CutMan.

Powerglove

http://www.myspace.com/powerglove

Powerglove is another videogame-inspired band that I found out about yesterday. They perform symphonic metal versions of classic videogame songs.

As a fan of Rhapsody and DragonForce and Sonata Arctica, Powerglove really appeals to me. It combines my favorite form of metal and my favorite pasttime. What's not to love?

I definitely recommend their Tetris cover. I was listening to that when I needed to psyche myself up yesterday.

(Thanks to DigitalNight for showing me them)

I prefer The Advantage, myself. Amazing renditions of some seriously old (and some more obscure) video game theme songs. Nothing rocks my socks like Sunsoft's Batman theme for the NES...unless it's played by a full band! They play a ton of stuff and are the reason I just had to download a metric fuckton of emulators to revisit my childhood.

Brisk And stormtrooper - Twatris

One of the faves from my scene of music, a cover of Tetris that was released on Next Generation Records. Brought back plenty of memories of frustration. Cool rework though. I thought I'd post something different to the bands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back