• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

USA wonder goal against Germany

The British commentators never put us through that and like to mock the commentators that do.

Instead they like to scream the players name as they shoot, in anticipation of a special goal. Prime example is if you look up Agueroooo on YouTube.

Here's what made me not want to watch soccer anymore:

It was the World Cup and America was playing I think England. England scores like 10 minutes in. Commentators: "That's it. The game is over. There's no way America can possibly come back."

1. There are 80 minutes left.

2. Why should I watch if you've already determined that it's over?

I'm assuming that they were English/British commentators you were listening to? Some of the stuff the commentators come out with has made me verbally tell the TV to fuck off, so when the opposite of what they have predicted happens, it feels much more satisfying.

For instance, I'm watching the Brazil - England game just now. Brazil haven't lost at home to a European side in over a decade now. England go 2-1 up with just over 10 minutes to go, so cue the commentators getting carried away with the significance of what the win wou... never mind, Brazil just scored an equaliser.

Moments like that are always nice.

I just cannot watch football on ITV at all any more.

Their coverage has become horrifyingly bad: whether it is Roy Keane trying to sound controversial at every step, the likes of Gareth Southgate and Andy Townsend talking so much bollocks that it makes you question whether they have ever had anything to do with football or Adrian Chiles beaming suicidal thoughts across the airwaves.

Their only pundit I can remotely stand is Lee Dixon, and that is likely because he got the BBC education of how to be a pundit, particularly the "if you are going to say something stupid, at least say it like you might be joking or in an entertaining way" technique that has served the likes of Lawrenson for so long.

Lawrenson used to crack me up when he was commentating. He just sounded like he hated everything about modern football so came out with some great stuff that no-one else would think to say.

I'm going to miss not hearing the Tyler-Neville combo, thats for sure. Moreso Tyler rather than Neville.

Martin Tyler has fallen off big time in quality. For about the last 5 years he has sounded so uninterested in anything that was happening. He still remains a decent play-by-play man but it took the most exciting finish to a season perhaps ever last season to drag a reaction out of him.

Neville on the other hand is as good as Hansen was about 15 years ago - willing to slag off anything that deserves it.

To be fair, he had a lot of history and chemistry with Andy Gray, so after he and Keys got the boot, Tyler didn't have as much of the same familiarity and banter with the replacements.

I still rate him very highly as he had a nice blend of almost conversational style commentary mixed with interesting stats and trivia. The guys doing the Spanish commentary are a lot of fun to listen too as well.

Don't get me started on the Spanish pundits, Graham Hunter in particular. They are so busy fawning over the likes of Messi and Ronaldo that they conveniently gloss over the fact that the standard of many of the teams is extremely poor and the defending of even the best teams is atrocious.

You guys should be glad you don't have to listen to Arabic commentary. The most excitable, amateurish, ear-splitting, headache-inducing commentators to ever grace the sport....

Common sense?
I remember watching that game and I don't remember them saying it was over but I do remember England starting pretty well. Obviously it's important for the commentators to try and build excitement, especially in the first game.
It would have been a shame if you'd stopped watching at that point because the USA had a cracking game against Slovenia after that and then the late win against Algeria to go through.

I love this video. It's really what it's all about, suffering for 90 minutes and then getting the reward.
[YOUTUBE]jbn3rOPmR9w[/YOUTUBE]

Common sense?
I remember watching that game and I don't remember them saying it was over but I do remember England starting pretty well. Obviously it's important for the commentators to try and build excitement, especially in the first game.
It would have been a shame if you'd stopped watching at that point because the USA had a cracking game against Slovenia after that and then the late win against Algeria to go through.

I love this video. It's really what it's all about, suffering for 90 minutes and then getting the reward.
[YOUTUBE]jbn3rOPmR9w[/YOUTUBE]

It isn't common sense to think that a game is over after barely 10% of it has been played. It's jumping to a very early conclusion, given the possibilities of luck, a good coaching move, finding a hole in the defense, injuries, penalties etc. A lot can happen in 80 minutes.

It isn't common sense to think that a game is over after barely 10% of it has been played. It's jumping to a very early conclusion, given the possibilities of luck, a good coaching move, finding a hole in the defense, injuries, penalties etc. A lot can happen in 80 minutes.

We get it, you don't like Soccer we dont care that you dont like it. Their are terrible announcers in every sport, Joe Buck, Chris Collinsworth, Madden was atrocious, that annoying bitch on espn who does basketball games I can't remember her name right now. Get over it

Did you seriously come in the thread to bring up something from years ago? Especially something so stupid, you don't watch the sport because you didn't like what the announcer said? I respect the morons who talk about diving all the time and ignore the flopping in the NFL and diving in Hockey more than you.

Anyways, didn't get to catch the game. Pretty surprised they won even though it the German's B team pretty much, but they did just beat Ecuador 4-2. It will get people off Klinnsman for a bit too.... I don't understand how you can have these morons on espn like Around the Horn and NBC sports who will pretty much admit they know nothing about the sport then call for the mans job. And I'm hearing rumblings that people like Bruce Arena? That guy is a clueless hack who wants to play soccer like the triangle offense in basketball.

So all in all good win I suppose. Don't know what it really means though, the defense is terrible which is not a good sign for a U.S. team, and we did have that draw or win in Mexico I can't remember which was supposed to be a great sign and then they consistently dud.

As far as the announcing, I think you Europeans (and I don't mean it to be offensive, just because I don't know where all of you are located) should be happy you don't have to deal with Taylor Twellman and Alexi Lalas. Garbage players and even worse announcers.

We get it, you don't like Soccer we dont care that you dont like it. Their are terrible announcers in every sport, Joe Buck, Chris Collinsworth, Madden was atrocious, that annoying bitch on espn who does basketball games I can't remember her name right now. Get over it

Did you seriously come in the thread to bring up something from years ago? Especially something so stupid, you don't watch the sport because you didn't like what the announcer said? I respect the morons who talk about diving all the time and ignore the flopping in the NFL and diving in Hockey more than you.

Anyways, didn't get to catch the game. Pretty surprised they won even though it the German's B team pretty much, but they did just beat Ecuador 4-2. It will get people off Klinnsman for a bit too.... I don't understand how you can have these morons on espn like Around the Horn and NBC sports who will pretty much admit they know nothing about the sport then call for the mans job. And I'm hearing rumblings that people like Bruce Arena? That guy is a clueless hack who wants to play soccer like the triangle offense in basketball.

So all in all good win I suppose. Don't know what it really means though, the defense is terrible which is not a good sign for a U.S. team, and we did have that draw or win in Mexico I can't remember which was supposed to be a great sign and then they consistently dud.

As far as the announcing, I think you Europeans (and I don't mean it to be offensive, just because I don't know where all of you are located) should be happy you don't have to deal with Taylor Twellman and Alexi Lalas. Garbage players and even worse announcers.

Did I hurt your feelings champ? I'd hate to live in a world like yours where anyone having an opinion different from yours makes you upset, but if you keep telling people to stop posting because they say something you don't like, I'll throw you out of here. Is that clear?

Did I hurt your feelings champ? I'd hate to live in a world like yours where anyone having an opinion different from yours makes you upset, but if you keep telling people to stop posting because they say something you don't like, I'll throw you out of here. Is that clear?
His comment was priceless.

You can have your opinion, I'm just going to tell you when it's stupid. And going on and on about it for posts about something an announcer said years ago is not something most sane people do. I just got tired of reading it. I couldn't care less whether you like soccer or not.

lol at did i hurt your feelings, you must be remedial or 16 with that level of sarcasm.... clearly you missed the part where I said I don't care about you...

I just actually enjoy telling people when they are stupid. Throw me outta where? My living room?

You can have your opinion, I'm just going to tell you when it's stupid. And going on and on about it for posts about something an announcer said years ago is not something most sane people do. I just got tired of reading it. I couldn't care less whether you like soccer or not.

lol at did i hurt your feelings, you must be remedial or 16 with that level of sarcasm.... clearly you missed the part where I said I don't care about you...

I just actually enjoy telling people when they are stupid. Throw me outta where? My living room?

I'm pretty sure debating things about a given topic is the reason we're here. Then again you tried to red rep me and tell me to go see my cousin at a strip club, which makes me think you have an IQ somewhere between my aunt John and butter, so I really shouldn't be surprised that you're struggling with this concept.

I'm pretty sure debating things about a given topic is the reason we're here. Then again you tried to red rep me and tell me to go see my cousin at a strip club, which makes me think you have an IQ somewhere between my aunt John and butter, so I really shouldn't be surprised that you're struggling with this concept.

Look I said my two cents... I'm not going to keep going on about this, this is my last post about this stuff because I just want to make this clear. I did come here to discuss possibly debate the U.S.- Germany game, that is the thread right?

If it was about the announcing during England -U.S., I wouldn't have said anything. But the topic isn't about soccer announcers or that game, it's about now and more relevant things. I expect the boring comments, I don't care. But your posts are actually the ones that are off topic. My first post wasn't, I actually had a paragraph about the actual game, not something some announcer said from what 4 years ago? Or if it was about why don't you or why do you watch soccer I'd understand, but your opinion was irrelevant to the matter at hand and you kept bringing it up.

and i repped you when i read the post I wasn't planning on saying anything but you wouldn't drop it, so it's kinda like somebody has to. I shoulda green repped u and said the same thing I dont care about that other crap.

Here's what made me not want to watch soccer anymore:

It was the World Cup and America was playing I think England. England scores like 10 minutes in. Commentators: "That's it. The game is over. There's no way America can possibly come back."

And this is why some of us still watch soccer.
[YOUTUBE]FGlWo7pr1JI[/YOUTUBE]

And this is why some of us still watch soccer.
[YOUTUBE]FGlWo7pr1JI[/YOUTUBE]

I'm sure the club games are more exciting. Over here though, the world cup is pretty much all anyone cares about. It's the only soccer I ever watch.

I'm sure the club games are more exciting. Over here though, the world cup is pretty much all anyone cares about. It's the only soccer I ever watch.

International soccer is pretty slow during non-tournament times. We have to wait every 2 years for the regional cups or the world cup. Qualifying has been a bore except for fans of smaller nations who retain hopes of upsetting the world order of soccer.

Your complaints is pretty much what fans of other popular teams sports can say about your favourite team sport. Ice hockey is boring. Baseball is boring. Basketball is boring. American football is boring. Oh I'm sure club games are more exciting but I only watch international games.

International soccer is pretty slow during non-tournament times. We have to wait every 2 years for the regional cups or the world cup. Qualifying has been a bore except for fans of smaller nations who retain hopes of upsetting the world order of soccer.

Your complaints is pretty much what fans of other popular teams sports can say about your favourite team sport. Ice hockey is boring. Baseball is boring. Basketball is boring. American football is boring. Oh I'm sure club games are more exciting but I only watch international games.

You can't get games over here unless you have fox soccer channel or another station which depending on your cable provider, can be a rip off.

It's not like we can just go watch Manchester City vs Man U, and also the timing. When ESPN does show it, it's at 7 and 9 am in the morning. I know some of you get up at different times to watch American stuff, but Americans won't do that. I won't do that, and I like soccer.

Also, you can say what you want, but Football and Basketball are much better TV sports and more consistently entertaining. Baseball and hockey are boring all the time, but to just deny that Soccer provides a lot of duds almost close to the level of baseball is just lying. I think you are talking about a lot of stuff you don't know about in that post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back