Update on Possible Changes in Store for ECW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Truth

Real American Hero
MODERATOR COMMENTS (Lord Sidious)​

Since a new show has officially been announced, please discuss this topic in this thread in the general WWE section, which goes into a little more detail.

http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=96323

ProWrestling.net is reporting that WWE is still planning on overhauling the ECW brand, however the changes won't likely be made until after WrestleMania this year. Many SyFy executives have been pushing for WWE to make changes to the brand, and at this point the feeling is that the company will drop the ECW letters, rename the show, and focus it more on younger superstars, which is something WWE has already put into motion. It's also being said that SyFy is pushing for WWE to incorporate more Science Fiction oriented story lines, and conspiracy theory type angles.

I for one am in support of these changes. ECW has really just been a name for the past few years now. The best part of ECW right now is that it's a venue to showcase new stars. What would ECW be without the likes of Zack Ryder, Ezekiel Jackson, and Vance Archer, for example? I'm kidding about Vance Archer, he's a waste of space and is as boring and generic as they come. But anyway, as long as they keep having good young wrestlers on there in edition to solid veterans who can help them work a match, I'll keep tuning in. As for the idea of pushing SciFi oriented storylines, it could either be hit or miss. If done correctly it could be awesome and different, better then the same storylines recycled on the A and B shows. It could also end up being completely stupid and cheesy. Just depends on how they're written. Anyway, I want to here everyone's thoughts as they pertain to these changes.

I for one am in support of these changes. ECW has really just been a name for the past few years now. The best part of ECW right now is that it's a venue to showcase new stars. What would ECW be without the likes of Zack Ryder, Ezekiel Jackson, and Vance Archer, for example? I'm kidding about Vance Archer, he's a waste of space and is as boring and generic as they come. But anyway, as long as they keep having good young wrestlers on there in edition to solid veterans who can help them work a match, I'll keep tuning in. As for the idea of pushing SciFi oriented storylines, it could either be hit or miss. If done correctly it could be awesome and different, better then the same storylines recycled on the A and B shows. It could also end up being completely stupid and cheesy. Just depends on how they're written. Anyway, I want to here everyone's thoughts as they pertain to these changes.

About the changes, I agree that it will be hit or miss. As long as they're not trying to bring back things like the shockmaster or boogeyman then it will be fine. The key will be creating scientific storylines that are actually pretty cool. For example, like Undertaker on the show. I know that will never happen, but I expect gimmicks like his. Look for some lightning, smoke, & things like that. I'm anxious & can't wait to see whats in the works.

If a person doesn't like wrestling, they don't like it - a dude who is uninterested in wrestling will not watch it just because he heard that they had a storyline where some guy was abducted by aliens. If this is ScyFy/WWE's idea to attract Sci Fi fans to watching the show, I think it's not gonna work.

I honestly think SyFy is just doing this (demanding science-fiction storylines) to justify the show being on the channel. Out of curiousity I had looked up the message boards for the channel (after ECW had originally moved to SciFi) to see the response of the channel viewers, and basically they all were negative and thought wrestling was stupid, and thought it had nothing to do with SciFi (or ScyFy now)

I thought the whole reason why SciFi changed they're name to they "y"'s was so people didn't think the channel was strictly for Star Trek and stuff. But here they go wanting to add sci fi stuff into the show anyway. All I can say is thank hell they are changing the letters, because if they were doing sci fi storylines where some wrestler reveals himself to be from planet Zylagor and that he's and alien, it better not freaking be under the ECW name.

The ECW name has to go, I think. Not because it tarnishes the name of a company 80% of the WWE audience are unaware of, but because it makes it sound like a completely different company. It was fine when it was stuctured like that, but it isn't any more. As for the science fiction angles, I think that is an option worth exploring. Anything that differentiates the brands is a good idea in my eyes. I'll wait and see exactly how these changes happen, but as long as the general format of giving everyone exposure is kept, then I don't really care.

I am really excited for the changes.I cant wait to see what in store.I hope we see a lot more new talent.Maybe we could even get the title off Christan if were lucky.:lmao:I am in full support of the young talent movement(not sheamus because he's terrible) but every one else.so I'm in full support of the change.

Just learned from WWE.com that Vince McMahon will be appearing on ECW tonight to address the changes to the show.

So after months of speculation, we will finally be getting a glimpse of what he will finally decide to do with the brand.

The only thing I necessarily want him to do is to change the initials to the show, because as it is right now, it is false advertising, incredibly misleading, and pointless calling the show ECW.

Whatever else he does ... so be it. But just changing the face of the show by renaming it is a big start.

Accidentally made a thread on this topic as well and have asked for it to be deleted. Here's what i think about this whole situation. For the last few months, it has been rumored that there will be a major overhaul with the ECW Brand. Rumors consisted of the possibility of the dropping of the beloved letters, and make it a show concentrated solely on young, up and coming talent. SyFy hasn't been happy with the shows 0.9 ratings and since it is a science fiction network, they would like more sci-fi related or conspiracy theory like storylines.

I think it is time for a change in the brand. IT is ECW is name-only it is so much a shell of it's former self it is unrecognizable. I do not think they should discontinue the brand (and WWE feels the same way) because it has an important place within the company. With the influx of talent on the other two brands bringing up new-talent can be next to impossible and ECW has proved to be a breeding ground for up and comers. Kofi, Punk, Seamus, Bourne and swagger all debuted on the brand with, Morrison and Miz breaking out during their time with ecw.

This should be how the show operates and have it be the focus/gimmick of the brand. They'll have some tagline where the future stars come to play, something corny like that. It will also allow to see if what guys have it or don't seeing if they sink or swim on television much like they are doing now with the talent initiative.

If they have any hope for a future in Tiffany as an authority figure in the WWE and they plan on the rumored overhaul, they have to give her some sort of credit for the idea of a switch. IF they don't it will look like they went right over her head, and making her look like a powerless puppet.

If it's a name change, then that's fine, I have no problem with that. I just hope they keep everything the way it is now. Like it's already been mentioned, many young superstars got their break in ECW, and are still continuing too today. I'm all for a younger talent show like an FCW type show on there, but I hope they keep a few veterans on there as well. Guys like Finlay, Regal, Goldust, Shelton who are on there minus Finlay, should be kept on there to help the younger talent get over.

Miz & Morrison are the perfect example as to why they should keep it as well. Morrison was nothing after Mercury was released, and I honestly thought Miz was on the verge of "We wish you the best in future endeavors." Now some three years later almost, both I think will be future world champions. It's a great place to see what young talent can be elevated onto Raw or Smackdown.

List of Stars who careers started or took off on ECW:
Kofi Kingston
CM Punk
Miz
Morrison
Swagger
Sheamus
Bourne

Seven guys who are main event (Sheamus, Punk) upper mid-card (Miz, Morrison) mid-card (Kofi, Swagger, Bourne.)

the new name of it now is WWE NXT standing somehow for 'next generation'. pretty fitting for the show, since it is pretty much development league that actually gets attention. anything that has the initials that stand for extremely crappy wrestling need to be changed. NXT still has some good talent now though, jackson could be a big heel on raw of smackdown soon, in a year hopefully christian will have had the wwe or whc title, so the brand still has hope. Vince could say that they have 3 months left before it is broken apart and the superstars are sent to smackdown or raw. . I think that this will help ecw in the short term, but pretty soon it will just collapse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back