Undertaker's Legacy If He Loses At WM25

NSL

Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh
Will Undertaker's legacy be tarnished if he loses to Shawn Michaels (or JBL) at Wrestlemania 25?

I'm torn. I can't figure out either way, and both sides have a god argument.

If he wins, then this is a moot point. the only thing that changes, is no one can ever say that Undertaker never beat anyone of significance at Wrestlemania, and it further legitamizes the streak.

However, if he loses, it could hurt him badly. The arguments that he never beat anyone major during the streak will only be proven, and the streak will look like a fraud. No matter what kind of match he puts on, the fact that people will remember, is that the match ended with him on his back, staring at the lights for the 3 count.

If it's JBL that he loses to, Undertaker will look like a sham to everyone that hates JBL. JBL will become one of the most hated men on the roster, and Undertaker would have serious damage control to take care of. Undertaker has beaten Jimmy Snuka and Jake The Snake, but he can't pin JBL? The uproar would be horrible.

However, maybe it isn't so bad if it's Shawn Michaels. Shawn Michaels is Mr. Wrestlemania for a reason. If he's the one to put the streak to rest, it cements his place even more in WWE history. He'd be the man to retire Flair, end the streak, get punched by Tyson, be in the first televised ladder match, and fulfill the boyhood dream, all on the same pay per view. The reputation of Shawn Michaels would almost make it OK that Undertaker lost, because Shawn Michaels has wrestled so many other greats on the "Grandest Stage Of Them All", so wh ywould it be so bad to lose?

Undertaker's career as a whole could absorb the loss of the streak, if it came to HBK, but I don't see how his accomplishments could overshadow the idea of losing the streak to JBL, who is hated by many more fans than loved, and hasn't done half of what Undertaker has in his career.

My stance on the topic is, that Undertaker shouldn't have the streak broken, but if it has to happen, the best option right now to end it would be Shawn Michaels.

People bring up the idea of "Undertaker should lose to a young kid to give him the rub" but I don't necessarily believe that really is necessary. I think the very idea of being in a match with the Undertaker at WrestleMania would be a big enough cookie that they wouldn't need to break the streak.

However, if the streak did end, I would think there would be only two options. One would be doing just that: giving it to someone that you know you could trust to really make it worthwhile. Someone like Cody Rhodes who will most likely be in the company for years and years to come. Or you make him lose to the #1 guy out there, HBK.

BUT...I don't think that either should happen. There's no real necessity to end the streak. Michaels isn't going to be the least bit hurt by losing to the Undertaker at WrestleMania. And while Undertaker wouldn't be torn down and stripped of his main event status by losing to HBK, its not something that needs to happen. Undertaker's streak is something that is a total shock for having lasted this long in the first place. Hell, nobody really mentioned the streak for the first few years. To go through 16 years of consistently winning at a ppv like that is amazing and I think they should keep it in stone. The Undertaker's one of those guys that has never had a really long title reign, so let him keep the streak, you know?

Without the streak, the Undertaker will still be remembered as one of the greatest that professional wrestling has ever had undoubtedly, but it'll be that much more special if he retires with it in tact. I for one am not looking forward to the day that we don't have HBK and the Undertaker in the WWE, but when it happens, I hope both of them get a big sendoff victory at WrestleMania...preferably Undertaker keeping his streak alive and HBK beating HHH in a friendly contest :)

If the streak had to end, I do agree Shawn is one of the only people who could end it without it looking bad on the Undertaker. That being said, no one should end it - that streak is The Undertakers biggest legacy in my opinion.

I really disagree with people who say a youngster should end it because of the reputation they'd get. If the wrestler was talented enough they wouldn't need this rub from The Undertaker - The Undertaker never got anything like that and he's huge.

No it won't, he's surpassed 15-0 thats something that will never be broken and imo is a mirror to Andre's 15yr undifeated streak

Personally i think he should retire undefeated giving him major props and a reward for not being granted the World Title for more than a few months a time despite alot of the fans wanting him to be.

HBK will do the right thing and put on an awesome match. Taker doesn't have to do mutch to be admired. It would be a match for the ages regardless of the outcome. So if that means HBK is the one to end the streak. I'll probably have a tear in my eye but atleast it woudn't be a

"You've got to be f'ing kidding me, how can they end it with a shitty ending" well if JBL is involved it would be a huge negative to the match

Needless to say I am one who believes Undertaker shouldn't lose at wrestlemania. Dispit what HBK says on TV everybody knows the Taker OWNS that event and for people to say he's never face any real competition I beg then to look at the Undertaker DVD

Kevin Nash
Kane
Randy Orton ( I think)
SID
Jimmy Snuka
Edge
Batista

are all these men not legends or future ones? If HBK goes over the undertaker it would kill the only think the announcers have to talk about in regurads to him. Yes he is one of the best wrestlers Ever. Yes he's put over more of todays top talent than anyone. but when it comes to undertaker all any modern day wrestling fan remembers is when the announcers say he'ss undefeated at wrestlemania they don't mention the mulit time WwE championship wins, The Tag Team championship wins, The Royal rumble win or the fact that he went undefeated for over a whole year.

Bottom line is to take away his winning streak is the same as taking away the last real element in wrestling. I mean the WWE didn't even pick up on it until they seen some fan in the crowd with a sign. If he is about to retire he should leave as the LEGEND he is with his LEGENDARY streak untouched!

I too am an advocate for keeping this streak in tact. It's something that no other wrestler can claim, something that makes the Undertaker stand out even more and shows how great he really is and that WWE knows that. Losing to the right person wouldn't make him not a legend, it would just take away one of his most redeeming qualities in that he would no longer undefeated at the biggest wrestling show there is..just like everyone else. I mean, Shawn himself is called Mr. Wrestlemania, but not because he never loses; it's because he performs better than anyone under the bright lights and has had so many historic moments there..but he has lost and is still a legend, same as Undertaker would be.

I said before there are probably only 3 guys who could even think about beating him at Mania right now. First is his likely opponent this year, HBK. As I said, his legacy is also rooted in his Wrestlemania performances just like Taker. Easily the best he'd ever face there, no shame comes in losing to Michaels at Mania. At least you get to have a match with him there and you might get famous because of it.
Next would be Randy Orton. Sure they've already done that match at Mania but that was years before Orton developed into the top heel that he now is. And it's not as if it hasn't been done..Taker and Kane have faced off twice at Mania. Orton is cementing his legacy and doesn't need that, but what better way to truly be the Legend Killer than to kill the legendary streak at Wrestlemania?
The other is John Cena. He is the face of the company, and while the IWC and half the wrestling fans world wide would be irate, I could definitely see it happening as a passing of the torch thing. I saw one comparison between that potential match at WM26 and the Hogan/Andre match at WM3. Hogan had been the face of the company for several years by that time, but Andre was still a big deal. He was the man in the 70s, and though it's not true that he was NEVER beaten in 15 years, I believe research showed me that he was never actually pinned in the WWE before then. Something similar to that could make it work if Cena were to do it.

On a side note, in writing this note I thought of something. If he hadn't been pushed to be the jobber he is today that can't beat Rey or Kofi, and was still the monster he was several years ago, Kane would be another one that could have beaten Taker. Their legacies will always be intertwined and it would even it up a little.

If the streak had to end, I do agree Shawn is one of the only people who could end it without it looking bad on the Undertaker. That being said, no one should end it - that streak is The Undertakers biggest legacy in my opinion.

I really disagree with people who say a youngster should end it because of the reputation they'd get. If the wrestler was talented enough they wouldn't need this rub from The Undertaker - The Undertaker never got anything like that and he's huge.

Couldn't agree with you more. Whislt I feel the Undertaker v HBK (I am assuming) match is going to be hyped to fuck with Mr Wrestlemania v The Streak, can you imagine what would happen to Takers legacy if he lost this? That's really all he is known for, yeah he has his casket matches and what not, a few title reigns, but the thing that has defined the Undertaker has been his Wrestlemania streak. To take that away from him would be the same as actually having Marella beat HTMs IC record! The streak has been built for 17 years, and I for one do not want to see anyone end that.

I think Undertaker would not be looked at in the same light if he went down to HBK at WM25, the only thing that could do this is if he was retiring, but nothing of that has been confirmed. Undertaker is about many things, but one of his legacy's is not being beaten at Wrestlemania, before X8, it didn't matter as it wasn't brought up but it has become a big part of the deadman's legacy and what we remember him for. As someone else said, if he loses at WM25 or at all, what was the point of all the past 16 WM wins? It amounts to nothing.

hmm I really dont know what to think if he does lose. Again, if he loses to guys like HBK, I dont think many would care. Tbh, I really dont care that much about the streak. I would've cared about some of the matches he's won, (a-train,show vs taker? come on...) Of course, if he lost to someone like Kozlov, I prolly would never bother watching wrestling ever again!

If The Undertaker lost, his legacy would be tarnished like no-one could imagine. THE thing about The Undertaker is the streak. It's that. He's had quite a few fantastic matches at WM, while some were just plain awful. Losing to HBK wouldn't be bad as losing to someone else, but it would still kill the entire legacy. Undertaker should retire with this streak, it'll solidify him as a true legend of this industry. I doubt I'm alone here too. I mean, WM23. Batista was actually pencilled to beat The Undertaker that night. Obviously it wouldn't happen, and even though the fans didn't like Batista that night I'm sure some of those boo's were because they knew of Vince's idea.

I guess I've said that before, but seriously - I never cared about Taker's streak. That thing has really only just come up in recent years and has been hyped beyond reason. The Undertaker is and always was just SO MUCH MORE for WWE and its entire history... he's been around consistently longer than anyone else (considering HBK's four-year-injury-break), he has had great feuds with all the great names ever, from Hogan and Flair to Hart, HBK, Austin, Rock, to the stars of today like Angle and Edge... what the hell do you expect more?! If ALL that you want to give Taker is a ridiculous WM victory "streak" (when - as we all know - wins and losses essentially mean nothing in wrestling as it is not real), then I guess a lot of you are missing the point.

So for me personally, the streak is a complete non-factor. If anything, it might be the icing on the cake for Taker, but definitely not the be all, end all of his career - that would not nearly do him justice.

That being said, I gotta admit I'm glad he's going to face HBK this WM. It's fitting for both guys being Texans to do battle in Texas... and plus, HBK is probably the only guy who should be entitled to end Taker's streak, if you want to end it. Plus, this will be the first WM match of Taker in a long time where you don't necessarily really expect Taker to win. Of course Edge could've beaten him last year, and others could've beaten him before... But never (ever since that streak has been brought up, anyway) was a loss of Taker at WM more "likely" (or rather "possible") than this year, when he's facing HBK, a legend of basically equal status. This will definitely be the one match I'll be looking forward to more than any other, simply because Taker and HBK are really the only two guys left in WWE I still remember from watching WWE when I was growing up, and seeing those two go at it at Wrestlemania's 25th anniversary really almost brings me to tears, from sentimental value alone.

For me personally, this encounter - more than any other in recent years - litterally embodies the fact that wrestling has been a part of my life for a very long time, and has in some ways had a really great influence on me; and thus I'll definitely be on the edge of my seat for this one. I really don't care who wins - I'll definitely be pulling for Taker - but both men are equally deserving of a win here, with the respective other as their opponent... the single two biggest active legends going one-on-one at the grandest stage of them all, and the 25th anniversary... And once again, pure goosebump moment ladies and gentlemen, and litterally everything this entire business is all about. That ONE big moment. That ovation, when the contenders make their way to the ring. That ONE staredown, just before the bell rings. Oh hell yeah!
It really doesn't matter who wins. It's the spectacle that matters, the story behind it; the twenty-some years it took both men to get there. This kind of symbolized the end of a long road for both HBK and Taker, as we know both are nearing the end of their careers. But one last time, the heroes of old will do battle in the spotlight, on the grounds of their glory. And again, ladies and gentlemen, this is what it's all about.

Would Undertaker's legacy be hurt if he loses at WrestleMania? Not a chance- only if he loses to Michaels, not JBL. Officially there are two possibilities on who Undertaker is going to face at WrestleMania. On one hand you have Shawn Michaels. He's the showstopper, the heart-break kid, Mr. WrestleMania himself. On the other hand you have JBL. He's... the... well, he's really done nothing extraordanary. He's rich, but who cares? That's not important. However, nobody has discussed the possibility of a triple-threat. If 'Taker has a triple-threat, that brings a whole new story to talk about.

Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels. It's a guranteed instant classic. It will be and amazing match put on by two of the all-time greats of the industry. Two of the best entertainers, two of the best wrestlers. Now, if 'Taker wins, he's cemented, for another year, his undefeated streak. He's beaten all kinds of wrestlers. The greats, the not so greats, but he's beaten them all. And if he beats Shwan Michaels, it would only cement his legacy as an all-time great. Now on the other hand, if Shwan Michaels wins, he's got another thing to put on the resume. He'd be the first and only person to defeat The Undertaker, and would be one of the biggest accomplishments of his career. As much as this would help Shawn's career, it wouldn't hurt 'Taker's that much. Look at who he's lost to. It's Shwan Michaels. Losing to him definately does not hurt anyone's career, even Undertaker's. I think the only person that can beat Undertaker, and make it not hurt his legacy, is Shawn Michaels.

Undertaker vs. JBL. It's a boring match. JBL's in it. This wouldn't even be a good match. There wouldn't be any suspense to it, like there would be with Michaels, because JBL's nothing great. If Undertaker beats him, it does absolutely nothing for his career. It doesn't help, but it doesn't hurt. It's like a tie. However, if JBL beats Undertaker, Undertaker's credibility goes down the toilet. Going undefeated adn, at the 25th anniversary of WrestleMania, lose to JBL. That's absolutely ridiculous. JBL is a nothing who does not deserve to beat Undertaker and end his streak.

A triple threat would act like a match with whoever he loses to. If he loses to Shawn, it's the same as I stated up there. If he loses to JBL, it's the same. A triple threat only makes it to where JBL isn't left of the card.

In short, Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels would be awesome. It would help both and not hurt either wrestler. Undertaker vs. JBL would be terrible. Losing to JBL would put 'Taker in the toilet. That would be just plain horrid.

It's not necessary for the Undertaker to lose his streak. Granted no one has thought of his streak until the year he faced Orton. Now his streak is a marquee match within it self. With that being said, as long as Taker is wrestling McMahon will keep the streak to have something to market. Facing Taker at WM is now a honor for someone as no slouch should be in the streak match.

To me, and I don't know if anyone else said this, but I don't want to see Undertaker's streak end. However, if someone was to do it, I'd want it to be Shawn Michaels. Think about it, besides Taker, HBK is Mr. Wrestlemania. So if HBK did it, I wouldn't be that mad. Another person that could work, but not right now, if he is built up, and if Taker is still around in a couple of years, which I doubt he will, but Ted DiBiase Jr. Think about it, the storyline could be that Ted DiBiase Sr. brought him into the business, and now his son wants to end his legacy (no pun intended.) That would be another person that I wouldn't be too upset about, but I'd rather Taker keep his streak.

I think it would hurt his legacy some, but it wouldn't kill it. Taker is most famous for two things: his gimmick and the streak. WHile I think the streak is bigger, it's really only important for about a month out of the year. Taker's gimmick goes on all year and would still get some of the best reactions of anyone. His legacy wouldn't be as amazing, but it would hardly be deda.

i would like taker's streak to end as well... the streak doesn't mean much to me either... why not count streaks for backlash or armageddon? if the streak is over, i will still remember him as the phenom - wrestling's most successful gimmick, the man that walked out as champ 3 times at a wrestlemania, something that is more significant than a streak that includes victories over mark henry, a-train, and big bossman... i just don't see how a streak can override those other achievements.

WWE should allow the streak to be broken when the Undertaker finally decides to retire.

There is little point Undertaker taking the streak into retirement, and this way it continues to be an asset to the WWE. Whoever finally breaks the streak will still be with the company so it continues to benefit WWE from the status the wrestler who beats him gets from doing what so many others could not.

If The Undertaker lost, his legacy would be tarnished like no-one could imagine. THE thing about The Undertaker is the streak. It's that. He's had quite a few fantastic matches at WM, while some were just plain awful. Losing to HBK wouldn't be bad as losing to someone else, but it would still kill the entire legacy.

i am sure no one will agree with this but i absolutely HATE the undertaker. i cant for the life of me figure out why he's so over. his entrance takes forever, is boring, is not chilling, etc... i get he's been around forever and has gotten some huge pushes but i may be the only one who wants nothing more than for the undertaker to go the route of ric flair this year. take one on the chin from good ol hbk and call it a career.

I think the wwe is going to pull a swerve. Undertaker, with all the respect he has for the business and it's history, will come out to challenge jericho. meanwhile, next week on raw, koslov will beat michaels...prompting michaels to say wait, i can do this! and want koslov at WM. Then next year, Taker vs Michaels in what could be their last match.

I agree with earlier postings that if anyone is going to end Taker's streak at Mania, it will need to be HBK because it will further his legacy as one of the greatest ever and HBK can handle it with class just like he did last year when he ended Ric Flair's career. Plus, that match will indeed steal the show. I do not see Koslov ending it but if it is indeed Koslov vs Taker at Mania then it will raise an interesting debate as to whether or not Taker will "pass the torch" and put Koslov over or will Taker defeat the undefeated Koslov furthering his legacy as the greatest ever on the biggest stage.

i would like taker's streak to end as well... the streak doesn't mean much to me either... why not count streaks for backlash or armageddon? if the streak is over, i will still remember him as the phenom - wrestling's most successful gimmick, the man that walked out as champ 3 times at a wrestlemania, something that is more significant than a streak that includes victories over mark henry, a-train, and big bossman... i just don't see how a streak can override those other achievements.

Because Wrestlemania is not only the biggest night in wrestling, it's the only show that's been around for 25 years. Stars have been made on this night. Besides that, you name one person who has a streak at "Backlash or Armageddon" that's even close to The Undertakers 'Mania streak... Those shows haven't been around for nearly enough time to even be considered. Honestly, what a stupid thing to say in the first place. The streak overrides all other achievements, because nobody else is even close. Undertaker has won at Wrestlemania almost as many times as Ric Flair has held a World Title.

Bret Hart has appeared in 12 CONSECUTIVE Wrestlemanias and he didn't win all of those... The Undertaker has something that nobody else has... Or probably ever will. If that's not worthy of giving someone a legacy, nothing is. The next contender to challenge this streak won't even have broken the record for almost 18 year from now, if he started last year. You don't think that's a feat worthy of the hall of fame?

Reactions: NSL
I say Taker keeps the streak. Yes it wouldn't hurt his place in history too much if HBK did end it, but the guy has had only short title reigns, he's helped the company for what? 16 years or so now? This is a miracle no doubt that his streak is still alive, and for that very reason it should stay. Seriously, who is EVER gonna pull that off again? Nobody that's who. Let this legacy of Undertakers stay intact.

I believe this match will be a great one, and I think that the Undertaker will come out on top. He's never beaten Shawn Michaels, so that in itself is one reason that I'm thinking that he will overcome the challenge. If done right, which I think it will be, this will be the showstealer.

Someone should break the streak, at some point. But unless Undertaker is planning on retiring this year I don’t think it will be Shawn Michaels. One of the unwritten rules of wrestling is that you go out on your back, if you leave a company or retire all together you lose your last match, you put someone else over so to speak. That’s what Undertaker should do, the streak would be utterly useless if Undertaker retired with it in tact, all it would serve is an interesting story for him to tell the grand kids one day. But if someone who is staying in the company ends the streak the meaning of the streak is continued by them. No matter who it is that ends it, it needs to be ended at some point.

Should Shawn Michaels end the streak? No is the simple answer. The reason is that he doesn’t need it, Michaels does not need to end the streak… he is bigger than getting the rub from someone else. I’m not saying that the streak should be used to put someone like Rhodes over… honestly I’m not sure who would make an ideal candidate for it. Maybe someone like Jericho or Orton should break it… people who are already in the Main Event but could use something like that to propel their careers to the next level.

There is NO WAY they will end undertakers streak and heres why. first of all....they would not spend 16 years building a streak that no1 else holds just to end it... he will retire undefeated at wrestlemania. Second, and most impoortantly... they would not have shawn michaels beat undertaker for this reason. Michaels is obviously out of his prime, will soon work a lighter schedule, and sooner than later will retire himself. The only, and i mean only way the undertaker undefeated streak angle would end in a loss was if he his opponent was vs an up and coming superstar... would theyve been pushing for awhile or are planning on pushing. Enough said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back