Undertaker vs Kurt Angle, should it have happened at WM22 instead?

rko57

The Icon
I just finished watching their No Way Out 2006 match, and it is easily a classic, but doesn't get as much resect as it should, and I feel it's because it wasn't at Mania. If it would have happened, people would be talking about it all the time.

It's simple, Orton could have gotten the World Title and faced Mysterio one on one at Mania and Mysterio could still get his moment, after all he pinned Orton anyways. That sets up Angle-Taker at Mania 22 instead of Mark Henry in a casket match.

Am I the only one who feels this way? And what do y'all think of their NWO match

That would have been an epic encounter. In the past 7 years the opponents have been HHH, HBK (2 times), Edge, Batista, Henry, and Orton. Henry is the odd man out in this. No one even doubted Taker losing. With Angle, now that is a challenge to a streak. If only Angle returns to the WWE sometime soon and faces taker at Wrestlemania 28

Agreed. Here is my WrestleMania 22 card. this mania is already one of my favorites.

Interpromotional Tag Team Match
Big Show and Kane vs. MNM (Mercury and Nitro w/ Melina)

Money in the Bank
Rob Van Dam vs. Matt Hardy vs. Shelton Benjamin vs. Finlay vs. Lashley vs. Mark Henry vs. Carlito vs. Chris Masters

United States Championship
Chris Benoit vs. Booker T w/ Sharmell (another feud that should have been settled at Mania instead of No Way Out)

Hardcore Match
Mick Foley vs. Edge w/ Lita

Women's Championship
Trish Stratus vs. Mickie James

JBL vs. Ric Flair (I just think it would be a good match w/ great promo work)

No Holds Barred
Shawn Michaels vs. Vince McMahon

Undertaker vs. Kurt Angle

World Heavyweight Championship
Rey Mysterio vs. Randy Orton (have Orton win that battle royal instead of Angle; plus it sets up a feud w/ Batista when he returned)

WWE Championship
John Cena vs. Triple H

I am leaving the Boogeyman off the card because he could be used in a backstage segment and I am also fogetting the Playboy Pillow Fight because that was a waste of time.

It really sucked how they didn't book Angle vs Taker WM 22, because really, it was a classic. I enjoyed that match so much. Although, i knew Angle was going to Retain, it was a great match. Randy Orton vs Rey Mysteryo should have happened at Wrestlemania as there feud was so Intense and Personal, it just fits in perfectly to the Wrestlemania manor. Angle vs Taker had its time, i'd rather see Angle take on someone else at WM 28, as he'll most probably be back in the WWE after his contract expires in TNA in August. However, i see Angle Stretching out his contract and leaving TNA After BFG. Cena vs Taker will happen at WM 28.

I think WWE just wanted to prove that other ppv's are important too and have the same probability to hold classic matches.

I think they wanted Henry built up as a monster. They thought he was actually going to be stabilized into the main event, and a match with Taker would help.

Yeah it probably should have happened at WrestleMania.

It was a damn fine match and I'm glad that it happened either but Angle would definately have posed more of a threat to Undertaker than Henry. I can imagine the crowd going wild when Angle would lock the ankle lock in in middle of the ring at WrestleMania on him and having Undertaker's arms flailing around, looking like he could tap. I think it would have been a great match and made Undertaker's list look just that much more epic.

Actually, I would've had Undertaker win the Royal Rumble Match in 2006 instead of 2007, and challenge Kurt Angle for the World Heavyweight Championship at WrestleMania 22 and had Orton/Mysterio feud take place at Mania WITHOUT the title.

Rey/Orton, Angle/Taker, HHH/Cena, Edge/Foley, HBK/McMahon and Benoit/Booker T would've given WM X-Seven a run for its money as the best WM of all time, but no, WWE fucked up like always.

Well I was one of the few that actually supported Rey Mysterio's win at WM22 and if the Triple Threat Match would have gone another 5 mins it would have fared much better.

I guess having the three way actually made Angle looks really strong especially a clean win vs. Undertaker at No Way Out. So I was ok with the Triple Threat.

For Undertaker's opponent, I guess it should not have been Mark Henry. At the time If I had to choose I would have picked Undertaker vs. Chris Benoit. Benoit was still a pretty big deal despite being pushed back to the midcard and he would be able to have a good match with Undertaker.

However I would have had no problems if No Way Out went with Orton vs. Mysterio and Undertaker vs. Angle though my problem is I didn't like how Angle won the title and should probably have stayed on RAW.

Maybe WM22 could have turned out

Undertaker vs. Chris Benoit

Randy Orton vs. Rey Mysterio

Kurt Angle vs. Ric Flair (Flair was at a hot streak at the time being IC Champ and beating HHH in A Steel Cage Match)

I think if the WWE had their way, that's what would have happened. But remember what had happened in the four months prior...Eddie Guerrero, who was scheduled to win the World Heavyweight title from Batista, died suddenly. And then a little over a month later, Batista suffered a serious injury and had to vacate the World Heavyweight title. That's two huge blows to the main event scene, and that's why you had Rey Mysterio and Randy Orton in the title match...but that's not enough star power, so Kurt Angle had to be added.

If Eddie is alive or Batista is healthy, you don't need Kurt in that match and he's free to fight Undertaker. And from how much respect Undertaker has for Kurt, I think there's a chance he could've been the one to end the streak.

This was an epic encounter.. What I loved about it was that it didn't make either man look week in the end because of it controversial finish. This would have been good at Mania, and we would have to have Taker win this match obviously because then he wouldn't have been undefeated at Mania anymore. But i'm thinkin whether the finish should have stayed the same way but instead in Takers favour therefor again not making Angle look weak..

There wouldn't have had to have been a controversial finish for a WrestleMania match with Angle and Undertaker.

It's the freaking undertaker, no shame what so ever in losing to him at WrestleMania. As long as Angle got some Angle Slams and some Ankle Lock spots on him to get the crowd pumped and on their feet then there would have been no need for a controversial finish. It could even be said that it's an honor and a special privalege to get a program with Undertaker for Mania, especially in the last 13 - 14 years when his streak was really being played off majorly.

Yes. It occurred the month prior and was arguably the match of the year. It was (sorry, I know it's clichéd) a war. Outside of that, Taker was healthy and I don't think anyone would've complained if he had the title coming out of Mania. Hell it certainly couldn't have been any worse than Mysterio's reign. The biggest problem with what actually happened was that it totally undermined everything Rey Mysterio had done, because he was launched into the main event riding on the Guerrero name. It's sad to say but it's true. Would Rey have become world champion without that? Possibly but certainly not in the way he did. Taker would also have possibly avoided the colossal shitfest that was Khali.

I've always thought this whenever I watch their NWO match. However on one hand, Taker would have to win, if they had it at Mania which would've ruined it, so no and I've always felt the World Championship was the only way to bring them together at the time since they had no real feud but since you mentioned that it could've been Rey vs. Orton one on one for the title at Mania which I never thought about, my mind also says yes but they would have to have given them a real feud since it wouldn't be for the title. But like I already mentioned, if they faced off at Mania, Taker would've had to win, so my final answer is No.

The most ironic thing about this match is Vince didn't book it for the sake of Mark Henry.

Three months before Wrestlemania 22, the opponents to face The Undertaker came down to Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, and the returning Mark Henry. Vince believed, the returning Mark Henry, billed as The World's Strongest Man, would be able to pull out a classic with The Undertaker and creating another big man main eventer after Batista, especially after such main event push. Because as we knew it, Vince has always been keen on pushing big man wrestlers mainly because of his obsession to eclipse his father's success of Andre The Giant. I have even heard that in backstage, before the match, Vince was so sure Undertaker could carry Mark Henry to a legendary match.

But it turned out that, after all the hype the fans didn't buy Henry as a threat at all. To make the matter even worse, Taker vs Henry at WM 22 flopped because Taker was unable to carry Henry throughout the match, mainly because of Henry's deadweight with no charisma and slow-paced work, thus creating another horrible match for The Streak, which is easily one of Taker's worst ever.

The only good thing from this disaster is Vince finally stopped giving The Undertaker mid-carder giants for him to face at Wrestlemania after 14 long years and five failures in 5 different Wrestlemanias (Giant Gonzales at WM 9, King Kong Bundy at WM 11, Big Boss Man at WM 15, Big Show & A-Train at WM 19, and Mark Henry himself at WM 22), because after 14 long a** years he finally realized Taker couldn't pull out a classic with talentless giants.

As an Undertaker fan, the reason why Giant Gonzales, King Kong Bundy, Big Boss Man, Big Show, A-Train, and Mark Henry were chosen to face The Undertaker at Wrestlemania instead of Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart, Stone Cold, The Rock, Kurt Angle, Mankind, or Chris Benoit is beyond my deepest knowledge.

Seeing how Henry is now just a glorified jobber, I think now we knew what kind of decision adding him instead of Kurt Angle was.

Sure, Kurt Angle vs Undertaker would have been an excellent match, but there is no doubt in my mind that he fared better in the triple threat match. Orton was a fairly legitimate contender at the time, but Mysterio wasn't. Having them in the match alone wouldn't have worked out. The legitimacy that Angle added to the match was a key element, especially since it made Rey look even better for winning that match. As for Undertaker, while Mark Henry wasn't a great opponent, this was when they were trying to build Henry into a bit of a "monster." Even though he lost, it still helped him to have faced Undertaker at WrestleMania.

It worked better the way it was.

As for Undertaker, while Mark Henry wasn't a great opponent, this was when they were trying to build Henry into a bit of a "monster." Even though he lost, it still helped him to have faced Undertaker at WrestleMania.

It worked better the way it was.

Yeah? How did it help him? The worst Casket match of all time helped Mark Henry?

U see, if u say Taker vs Kane at WM 14 helped Kane, I'd agree cause it was true. Kane had a main event stay for the rest of Attitude Era facing the likes of Stone Cold, The Rock, Mankind, Big Show, and Triple H in memorable feuds.

If u say Taker vs Orton at WM 21, then I agree cause u just had to take a look at he is now.

What wonder did the match at Wrestlemania 22 do to Mark Henry? Did he win the Royal Rumble? Did he main event Wrestlemania? Did he have memorable feuds with the likes of Triple H, John Cena, Edge, Randy Orton, or Chris Jericho? No, the biggest win of his career lately was against Sheamus on RAW. And that's because he was a jobber.

And I didn't see how defeating Mark Henry serve The Streak any benefit. I'll list the accomplishments of his last 4 WM opponents (cause Henry never accomplished anything and never will). By defeating Batista at Wrestlemania 23, Undertaker defeated someone with:

# Pro Wrestling Illustrated

* PWI Most Improved Wrestler of the Year (2005)
* PWI Wrestler of the Year (2005)
* PWI ranked him #1 of the 500 best singles wrestlers in the PWI 500 in 2005

# World Wrestling Entertainment

* World Heavyweight Championship (4 times)
* World Tag Team Championship (3 times) – with Ric Flair (2) and John Cena (1)
* WWE Championship (2 times)
* WWE Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Rey Mysterio
* Royal Rumble (2005)
* Match of The Year 2007 vs. Undertaker at Wrestlemania 23
* Feud of the Year (2007) vs. The Undertaker

# Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards

* Feud of the Year (2005) vs. Triple H

He also main evented Wrestlemania 21 prior to meeting The Undertaker at Wrestlemania 23. And by defeating him Undertaker have also defeated the entire Evolution members following Triple H at Wrestlemania X-7, Ric Flair at Wrestlemania X-8, and Randy Orton at Wrestlemania 21.

By defeating Edge at Wrestlemania 24, Undertaker defeated someone with:

* World Wrestling Federation / World Wrestling Entertainment
o World Heavyweight Championship (5 times)
o World Tag Team Championship (12 times) – with Christian (7), Chris Benoit (2), Hulk Hogan (1), Randy Orton (1) and Chris Jericho (1)
o WWE Championship (4 times)
o WWF/E Intercontinental Championship (5 times)
o WCW United States Championship (1 time)
o WWE Tag Team Championship (2 times) – with Rey Mysterio (1) and Chris Jericho (1)
o King of the Ring (2001)
o Mr. Money in the Bank (2005, 2007)
o Slammy Award for Couple of the Year (2008) – with Vickie Guerrero
o Fourteenth Triple Crown Champion
o Royal Rumble (2010)

Along the way, The Undertaker also defeated one of the E&C members, both Rated RKO members, and the leader of La Familia.

The last but definitely not the least, by defeating (and retiring) Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania XXV & XXVI, he defeated someone with:

* Pro Wrestling Illustrated
o PWI Feud of the Year (2008) vs. Chris Jericho
o PWI Match of the Year (1993) vs. Marty Jannetty on Monday Night Raw on May 17
o PWI Match of the Year (1994) vs. Razor Ramon in a Ladder match at WrestleMania X
o PWI Match of the Year (1995) vs. Diesel at WrestleMania XI
o PWI Match of the Year (1996) vs. Bret Hart in an Iron Man match at WrestleMania XII
o PWI Match of the Year (2004) vs. Chris Benoit and Triple H at WrestleMania XX
o PWI Match of the Year (2005) vs. Kurt Angle at WrestleMania 21
o PWI Match of the Year (2006) vs. Vince McMahon in a No Holds Barred match at WrestleMania 22
o PWI Match of the Year (2007) vs. John Cena on Raw on April 23
o PWI Match of the Year (2008)] vs. Ric Flair at WrestleMania XXIV
o PWI Match of the Year (2009) vs. The Undertaker at WrestleMania XXV
o PWI Most Popular Wrestler of the Year (1995, 1996)
o PWI ranked him #1 of the top 500 singles wrestlers of the year in the PWI 500 in 1996
o PWI ranked him #10 of the top 500 singles wrestlers of the "PWI Years" in 2003
o PWI ranked him #33 of the Top 100 Tag Teams of the "PWI Years" with Marty Jannetty in 2003

o WWF Championship (3 times)
o WWF European Championship (1 time)
o WWF Intercontinental Championship (3 times)
o WWF/E World Tag Team Championship (5 times) – with Diesel (2), Steve Austin (1), John Cena (1), and Triple H (1)
o WWE Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Triple H (1)
o World Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
o Royal Rumble (1995, 1996)
o Fourth Triple Crown Champion
o First Grand Slam Champion
o Slammy Award for Best Slammin' Jammin' Entrance (1996)
o Slammy Award for Best Threads (1996)
o Slammy Award for Squared Circle Shocker (1996) Won for collapsing; Owen Hart accepts the award for making Michaels collapse
o Slammy Award for Master of Mat Mechanics (1996)
o Slammy Award for US West Match of the Year (1996) vs. Razor Ramon in a Ladder match at SummerSlam
o Slammy Award for Leader of the New Generation (1996)
o Slammy Award for Best Finisher (1997)
o Slammy Award for US West Match of the Year (1997) vs. Bret Hart in an Iron Man match at WrestleMania XII
o Slammy Award for Match of the Year (2008) vs. Ric Flair at WrestleMania XXIV
o Slammy Award for Match of the Year (2009) vs. The Undertaker at WrestleMania XXV

I didn't list Michaels Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards cause it's too many to name and the page won't be able to sustain it. By defeating and retiring Shawn Michaels, Undertaker also defeated three Kliq members (including Diesel at WM 12), one of The Rockers, both DX members, and two NWO members.

What did Undertaker gain by defeating Mark Henry again?

Undertaker vs Mark Henry is forever a waste of time and life. It should have been Taker vs Angle and Rey vs Orton.

Yeah? How did it help him? The worst Casket match of all time helped Mark Henry?

U see, if u say Taker vs Kane at WM 14 helped Kane, I'd agree cause it was true. Kane had a main event stay for the rest of Attitude Era facing the likes of Stone Cold, The Rock, Mankind, Big Show, and Triple H in memorable feuds.

If u say Taker vs Orton at WM 21, then I agree cause u just had to take a look at he is now.

What wonder did the match at Wrestlemania 22 do to Mark Henry? Did he win the Royal Rumble? Did he main event Wrestlemania? Did he have memorable feuds with the likes of Triple H, John Cena, Edge, Randy Orton, or Chris Jericho? No, the biggest win of his career lately was against Sheamus on RAW. And that's because he was a jobber.

And I didn't see how defeating Mark Henry serve The Streak any benefit. I'll list the accomplishments of his last 4 WM opponents (cause Henry never accomplished anything and never will). By defeating Batista at Wrestlemania 23, Undertaker defeated someone with:

# Pro Wrestling Illustrated

* PWI Most Improved Wrestler of the Year (2005)
* PWI Wrestler of the Year (2005)
* PWI ranked him #1 of the 500 best singles wrestlers in the PWI 500 in 2005

# World Wrestling Entertainment

* World Heavyweight Championship (4 times)
* World Tag Team Championship (3 times) – with Ric Flair (2) and John Cena (1)
* WWE Championship (2 times)
* WWE Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Rey Mysterio
* Royal Rumble (2005)
* Match of The Year 2007 vs. Undertaker at Wrestlemania 23

# Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards

* Feud of the Year (2005) vs. Triple H

He also main evented Wrestlemania 21 prior to meeting The Undertaker at Wrestlemania 23. And by defeating him Undertaker have also defeated the entire Evolution members following Triple H at Wrestlemania X-7, Ric Flair at Wrestlemania X-8, and Randy Orton at Wrestlemania 21.

By defeating Edge at Wrestlemania 24, Undertaker defeated someone with:

o World Heavyweight Championship (5 times)
o World Tag Team Championship (12 times) – with Christian (7), Chris Benoit (2), Hulk Hogan (1), Randy Orton (1) and Chris Jericho (1)
o WWE Championship (4 times)
o WWF/E Intercontinental Championship (5 times)
o WCW United States Championship (1 time)
o WWE Tag Team Championship (2 times) – with Rey Mysterio (1) and Chris Jericho (1)
o King of the Ring (2001)
o Mr. Money in the Bank (2005, 2007)
o Slammy Award for Couple of the Year (2008) – with Vickie Guerrero
o Fourteenth Triple Crown Champion
o Royal Rumble (2010)

Along the way, The Undertaker also defeated one of the E&C members, both Rated RKO members, and the leader of La Familia.

The last but definitely not the least, by defeating (and retiring) Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania XXV & XXVI, he defeated someone with:

* Pro Wrestling Illustrated
o PWI Feud of the Year (2008) vs. Chris Jericho
o PWI Match of the Year (1993) vs. Marty Jannetty on Monday Night Raw on May 17
o PWI Match of the Year (1994) vs. Razor Ramon in a Ladder match at WrestleMania X
o PWI Match of the Year (1995) vs. Diesel at WrestleMania XI
o PWI Match of the Year (1996) vs. Bret Hart in an Iron Man match at WrestleMania XII
o PWI Match of the Year (2004) vs. Chris Benoit and Triple H at WrestleMania XX
o PWI Match of the Year (2005) vs. Kurt Angle at WrestleMania 21
o PWI Match of the Year (2006) vs. Vince McMahon in a No Holds Barred match at WrestleMania 22
o PWI Match of the Year (2007) vs. John Cena on Raw on April 23
o PWI Match of the Year (2008)] vs. Ric Flair at WrestleMania XXIV
o PWI Match of the Year (2009) vs. The Undertaker at WrestleMania XXV
o PWI Most Popular Wrestler of the Year (1995, 1996)
o PWI ranked him #1 of the top 500 singles wrestlers of the year in the PWI 500 in 1996
o PWI ranked him #10 of the top 500 singles wrestlers of the "PWI Years" in 2003
o PWI ranked him #33 of the Top 100 Tag Teams of the "PWI Years" with Marty Jannetty in 2003

o WWF Championship (3 times)
o WWF European Championship (1 time)
o WWF Intercontinental Championship (3 times)
o WWF/E World Tag Team Championship (5 times) – with Diesel (2), Steve Austin (1), John Cena (1), and Triple H (1)
o WWE Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Triple H (1)
o World Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
o Royal Rumble (1995, 1996)
o Fourth Triple Crown Champion
o First Grand Slam Champion
o Slammy Award for Best Slammin' Jammin' Entrance (1996)
o Slammy Award for Best Threads (1996)
o Slammy Award for Squared Circle Shocker (1996) Won for collapsing; Owen Hart accepts the award for making Michaels collapse
o Slammy Award for Master of Mat Mechanics (1996)
o Slammy Award for US West Match of the Year (1996) vs. Razor Ramon in a Ladder match at SummerSlam
o Slammy Award for Leader of the New Generation (1996)
o Slammy Award for Best Finisher (1997)
o Slammy Award for US West Match of the Year (1997) vs. Bret Hart in an Iron Man match at WrestleMania XII
o Slammy Award for Match of the Year (2008) vs. Ric Flair at WrestleMania XXIV
o Slammy Award for Match of the Year (2009) vs. The Undertaker at WrestleMania XXV

I didn't list Michaels Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards cause it's too many to name and the page won't be able to sustain it. By defeating and retiring Shawn Michaels, Undertaker also defeated three Kliq members (including Diesel at WM 12), one of The Rockers, both DX members, and two NWO members.

What did Undertaker gain by defeating Mark Henry again?

Undertaker vs Mark Henry is forever a waste of time and life. It should have been Taker vs Angle and Rey vs Orton.

Let me applaud you for being able to copy and paste Wikipedia, that's some hardcore shit right there, bro. Also, let me say that again it helped Mark Henry, after that Henry went on to beat Mysterio in a non-title match, something that would have seemed stupid had he not been elevated to Taker's level, he faced Angle and WON at Judgment Day, then he went on his path of destruction injuring the likes of Benoit, decimating Mysterio, then he got put in a feud with Batista. Had Henry not gotten injured, he would have kept on going. Henry's feud with 'Taker elevated him to main event status. Also, nowhere in that post did I say that it helped Undertaker, nowhere. It basically just added another head to his list. People need to realize that Undertaker doesn't need to beat a huge superstar at WrestleMania every year, he is 18-0, undefeated at 'Mania. That's more than enough. No need to feed a guy like Angle to him. Now then, unless you TRULY don't understand this, Rey and Orton NEEDED Angle in that match. They couldn't carry a match of that magnitude by themselves, so the WWE put a guy like Kurt Angle in there to sustain the drawing power of the match.

Actually, I would've had Undertaker win the Royal Rumble Match in 2006 instead of 2007, and challenge Kurt Angle for the World Heavyweight Championship at WrestleMania 22 and had Orton/Mysterio feud take place at Mania WITHOUT the title.

Rey/Orton, Angle/Taker, HHH/Cena, Edge/Foley, HBK/McMahon and Benoit/Booker T would've given WM X-Seven a run for its money as the best WM of all time, but no, WWE fucked up like always.

I agree.

The most ironic thing about this match is Vince didn't book it for the sake of Mark Henry.

Three months before Wrestlemania 22, the opponents to face The Undertaker came down to Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, and the returning Mark Henry. Vince believed, the returning Mark Henry, billed as The World's Strongest Man, would be able to pull out a classic with The Undertaker and creating another big man main eventer after Batista, especially after such main event push. Because as we knew it, Vince has always been keen on pushing big man wrestlers mainly because of his obsession to eclipse his father's success of Andre The Giant. I have even heard that in backstage, before the match, Vince was so sure Undertaker could carry Mark Henry to a legendary match.

But it turned out that, after all the hype the fans didn't buy Henry as a threat at all. To make the matter even worse, Taker vs Henry at WM 22 flopped because Taker was unable to carry Henry throughout the match, mainly because of Henry's deadweight with no charisma and slow-paced work, thus creating another horrible match for The Streak, which is easily one of Taker's worst ever.

The only good thing from this disaster is Vince finally stopped giving The Undertaker mid-carder giants for him to face at Wrestlemania after 14 long years and five failures in 5 different Wrestlemanias (Giant Gonzales at WM 9, King Kong Bundy at WM 11, Big Boss Man at WM 15, Big Show & A-Train at WM 19, and Mark Henry himself at WM 22), because after 14 long a** years he finally realized Taker couldn't pull out a classic with talentless giants.

As an Undertaker fan, the reason why Giant Gonzales, King Kong Bundy, Big Boss Man, Big Show, A-Train, and Mark Henry were chosen to face The Undertaker at Wrestlemania instead of Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart, Stone Cold, The Rock, Kurt Angle, Mankind, or Chris Benoit is beyond my deepest knowledge.

Seeing how Henry is now just a glorified jobber, I think now we knew what kind of decision adding him instead of Kurt Angle was.

Well, back in the Giant Gonzales, King Kong Bundy days, Undertaker wasn't in the Main Event scene, so he wouldn't have kept his streak had he faced Bret Hart or Hulk Hogan.

Also, Rock & Austin faced each other at 3 WrestleManias when they were at their best, so Undertaker couldn't take them on then.

But WrestleMania 19 boggles the mind though. I would've rather had them but Big Show against 'Taker. A- Train was pointless and Nathan Jones didn't appear until the end of the match.

Vince just found people that fit that year. But he messed up on 19 & 22 though.

Let me applaud you for being able to copy and paste Wikipedia, that's some hardcore shit right there, bro. Also, let me say that again it helped Mark Henry, after that Henry went on to beat Mysterio in a non-title match, something that would have seemed stupid had he not been elevated to Taker's level, he faced Angle and WON at Judgment Day, then he went on his path of destruction injuring the likes of Benoit, decimating Mysterio, then he got put in a feud with Batista. Had Henry not gotten injured, he would have kept on going. Henry's feud with 'Taker elevated him to main event status. Also, nowhere in that post did I say that it helped Undertaker, nowhere. It basically just added another head to his list. People need to realize that Undertaker doesn't need to beat a huge superstar at WrestleMania every year, he is 18-0, undefeated at 'Mania. That's more than enough. No need to feed a guy like Angle to him. Now then, unless you TRULY don't understand this, Rey and Orton NEEDED Angle in that match. They couldn't carry a match of that magnitude by themselves, so the WWE put a guy like Kurt Angle in there to sustain the drawing power of the match.

Really? I thought they had a pretty good match at No Way Out. Plus their feud was very personal heading into WrestleMania.

Let me applaud you for being able to copy and paste Wikipedia, that's some hardcore shit right there, bro. Also, let me say that again it helped Mark Henry, after that Henry went on to beat Mysterio in a non-title match, something that would have seemed stupid had he not been elevated to Taker's level, he faced Angle and WON at Judgment Day, then he went on his path of destruction injuring the likes of Benoit, decimating Mysterio, then he got put in a feud with Batista. Had Henry not gotten injured, he would have kept on going. Henry's feud with 'Taker elevated him to main event status.

Yeah?

How many high profile matches Henry had at Wrestlemania after that?
How many Match of The Year contenders he got after that?
How many Feud of The Year contenders he got after that?
How many PPV he main evented after that?
How many world titles he won after that?

Are the answers comparable to the high profile matches, the feud of the year contenders, the match of the year contenders, the PPV main evented, and world titles victory earned by other people that were added to The Streak alongside Henry, which were Orton (WM 21), Batista (WM 23), and Edge (WM 24)? :rolleyes:

Also, nowhere in that post did I say that it helped Undertaker, nowhere. It basically just added another head to his list. People need to realize that Undertaker doesn't need to beat a huge superstar at WrestleMania every year, he is 18-0, undefeated at 'Mania. That's more than enough. No need to feed a guy like Angle to him. Now then, unless you TRULY don't understand this, Rey and Orton NEEDED Angle in that match. They couldn't carry a match of that magnitude by themselves, so the WWE put a guy like Kurt Angle in there to sustain the drawing power of the match.

Hm, so in your book it's alright for Taker to go against Ezekiel Jackson next year at Wrestlemania 28 instead of say, Chris Jericho? :banghead:

Oh, I forgot! My bad!!! Credibility and achievement wise, people like Giant Gonzales, King Kong Bundy, Big Boss Man, A-Train, and Mark Henry are no different from people like Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart, Ted DiBiase Jr, The Rock, Mankind, Stone Cold, Kurt Angle, and Brock Lesnar, right?!*

* Note the sarcasm, please. :disappointed:

Well, back in the Giant Gonzales, King Kong Bundy days, Undertaker wasn't in the Main Event scene, so he wouldn't have kept his streak had he faced Bret Hart or Hulk Hogan.

Still, that wasn't a reason Taker couldn't get a proper opponent back in the days. I wouldn't mind seeing him go against Randy Savage or Mr. Perfect at Wrestlemania 9 instead of Gonzales. The same can be said for Wrestlemania 11, he should have gone against Ted DiBiase Sr or Owen Hart.

And also at Wrestlemania 15, he should have faced Mankind instead of Big Boss Man. Imagine Mankind vs Taker in a gimmick match we've never seen they engaged together before like Casket match or I Quit match instead of the worst HIAC match of all time.

Also, Rock & Austin faced each other at 3 WrestleManias when they were at their best, so Undertaker couldn't take them on then.

While that may be true for Austin, I think The Rock should have faced Taker at Wrestlemania 20 by having him help Vince at Survivor Series 2003 instead of putting Undertaker against a pointless rematch against Kane (seeing how Taker's entrance went longer than the actual match and the match was a mess compared to their legendary encounter at Wrestlemania 14. Not to mention Taker was basically facing a jobber at that time) and an even more pointless retirement match in a 2 on 3 handicap bout.

What could have been, Vince. What could have been.

Ironically, last year in an interview, when Steve Austin was asked if there was any regret he had during his WWE career, he answered there was: he never faced The Undertaker at Wrestlemania. He said it intrigued him how an unknown trivia is today's greatest achievement in sports entertainment. And the wrestler in him can't help but think what would have happened if he were to take part on it.

Dunno bout u, but I found that to be sad. Especially seeing how if they do the match ATM, the crowds wouldn't really know who Austin was, both have been injured so many times and no longer in their prime, and the era has changed, thus making the match unable to touch its full potential. Not to mention Undertaker will basically face someone with a decade of ring rust.

But WrestleMania 19 boggles the mind though. I would've rather had them but Big Show against 'Taker. A- Train was pointless and Nathan Jones didn't appear until the end of the match.

Vince just found people that fit that year. But he messed up on 19 & 22 though.

I agree. The triple threat tag team was nothing special, the HEAT match was a waste, not utilizing Ric Flair, and putting A-Train against Taker was infinitely moronic.

Imagine if they utilize Big Show, Eddie Guerrero, Rey, Undertaker, Ric Flair, Chris Benoit, and Kane better at Wrestlemania 19 by booking:

Undertaker vs Eddie Guerrero
Big Show vs Kane (No Disqualification)
RVD vs Rey Mysterio (Interpromotional Match)
Chris Benoit vs Ric Flair (Interpromotional Match)

Added the already great Booker T vs Triple H, Brock Lesnar vs Kurt Angle, The Rock vs Stone Cold, Vince McMahon vs Hulk Hogan, and Shawn Michaels vs Chris Jericho to it? The card would look like this:

Undertaker vs Eddie Guerrero
Big Show vs Kane (No Disqualification)
RVD vs Rey Mysterio (Interpromotional Match)
Chris Benoit vs Ric Flair (Interpromotional Match)
Booker T vs Triple H (WHC Title Match)
Brock Lesnar vs Kurt Angle (WWE Title Match)
The Rock vs Stone Cold
Vince McMahon vs Hulk Hogan
Shawn Michaels vs Chris Jericho

Wow, WM 17 would have looked like WM 9 compared to 'that' WM 19.

But, no. For Vince, trying to get A-Train and Jones to main event scene was a must. Thus, until now WM 19 is forever second fiddle to WM 17.

What could have been, Vince. What could have been.

Really? I thought they had a pretty good match at No Way Out. Plus their feud was very personal heading into WrestleMania.

:worship:

Undertaker and Angle was an epic, great match. But it shouldn't have happened at Wrestlemania. Rey Mysterio had been penciled in to win the title at Wrestlemania for a month or two before the Undertaker-Angle match and I think changing planned booking to suit an Angle-Taker rematch would be a mistake. Now, should have Taker-Angle have been the original plan for Wrestlemania? Maybe. But hindsight is 20-20.

Undertaker and Angle was an epic, great match. But it shouldn't have happened at Wrestlemania. Rey Mysterio had been penciled in to win the title at Wrestlemania for a month or two before the Undertaker-Angle match and I think changing planned booking to suit an Angle-Taker rematch would be a mistake. Now, should have Taker-Angle have been the original plan for Wrestlemania? Maybe. But hindsight is 20-20.

Oh yea, I feel like Orton should've gone up against Mysterio for the World Title. I mean, their feud was personal and I think they could've handled a match of that magnitude. Orton was one of the top guys in the company and Mysterio won The Rumble.

Besides Orton at WM 21, Angle could've been one hell of a threat to The Undertaker's Streak.

But that's in the past. If they really wanted 'Taker vs Angle that badly, THAT would've been The World Title Match, or they coulda just had Orton win the belt from Angle with help from 'Taker heating up their feud even more for WrestleMania.

But hey, what can you do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back