• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Undertaker The Greatest WWE Superstar Of All Time?

#heel420

Mr. Wrestling
After over two decades of destruction starting back in 1990. Reaching the unthinkable feat of going 20-0 at Wrestlemania. Being a 7 time World Champ, 7 time Tag Champ, Winner of the 2007 Royal Rumble. Undoubtedly the most respected man in the locker room. The consummate professional, one of WWE's most loyal employees The Undertaker.

Now my question, Considering his history, legacy and longevity of his character do you consider The Undertaker to be the greatest WWE Superstar of all time?

Undertaker is definately up there and whilst not the biggest superstar (Rock/Austin/Hogan you decide) in terms of greatest, I probably put him second behind Shawn Michaels.

Undertaker has this streak at Wrestlemania, but HBK WAS 'Mr Wrestlemania'.

There certainly is an argument to be made for the Undertaker to be the greatest ever, mainly due to his longevity, loyalty and lack of scandals.

He never was the biggest draw of the company, or if at times he was, he was never in the same league as the already mentioned super draws (Rock/Hogan/Austin/even Cena).

But from a complete overall-career package standpoint, there are few in his league. He's right up there with the all time greats. Now, in my personal opinion, Shawn Michaels is head and shoulders above everyone else. No one comes even remotely close. But Taker is in the top three with HBK and Ric Flair.

Undertaker being my favourite wrestler, Ive always said UT is the greatest wrestler alive today, and will always be the greatest in my eyes.

But HBK & Flair have been mentioned in above posts, and are up there in the top 5 for me.

"The Streak" will NEVER be matched.

It's Hulk Hogan.

Without Hogan, there's no WWE or at least not the WWE in the way we have it today. He paved the way for every modern superstar. There's no HBK, Rock, Austin, etc. without Hulk Hogan. As great as Undertaker is, he didn't change the landscape of professional wrestling. He wasn't a revolutionary character or a pioneer.

I will say this: He has BY FAR the best gimmick in pro wrestling history.

It's Hulk Hogan.

Without Hogan, there's no WWE or at least not the WWE in the way we have it today. He paved the way for every modern superstar. There's no HBK, Rock, Austin, etc. without Hulk Hogan. As great as Undertaker is, he didn't change the landscape of professional wrestling. He wasn't a revolutionary character or a pioneer.

I will say this: He has BY FAR the best gimmick in pro wrestling history.

Hogan probably the greatest WRESTLING superstar but greatest WWE superstar? Hogan hasnt been in WWE for like 7 years. He also missed a huge chunk of the 1990s as well. There were people BEFORE Hogan who paved the way for him, just like he paved the way for Rock and Austin etc.

Hogan may have helped the Wrestling boom in the 1980s but he wasnt even a part of WWE's most successful period.

Hogan probably the greatest WRESTLING superstar but greatest WWE superstar? Hogan hasnt been in WWE for like 7 years. He also missed a huge chunk of the 1990s as well. There were people BEFORE Hogan who paved the way for him, just like he paved the way for Rock and Austin etc.

Hogan may have helped the Wrestling boom in the 1980s but he wasnt even a part of WWE's most successful period.

I guess I kinda misinterpretted the question. I thought we were viewing WWE as WWF as well. If you want to break it down to WWF and WWE then you're probably right.

The one thing I will say though is that without Hulk Hogan, there's no attitude era. He may not have been a part of WWE most successful era but he made it possible. He made wrestling "mainstream" and "cool" and transcended all audiences. It took it from being a "niche" form of entertainment to being a mainstream event.

No, simply because he's never been the top guy during all these years, but he's def in the top 10. When I look back at taker's career, one thing seperate him from any other top superstar and that is longevity.

When it comes down to "The Greatest of all time", the most important things we need to consider are: 1.Impact 2.Drawing Power 3. Memorable Moments 4. In-Ring Ability 5. Mic Skills

So based on that, here is my list:

1-Hulk Hogan

2-The Rock

3-Stone Cold Steve Austin

4-Bret Hart

5-Shawn Michaels

6-Undertaker

7-Rowdy Piper

8-Randy Savage

9-Kurt Angle

10-Andrea The Giant

You have to be more specific with a question like this one. It really depends on where the OP is coming from to answer this question correctly.

As already mentioned, the Undertaker has never really been the MAN for the WWE; however, as far back as I can remember, he has always been in the picture. I'm 24 and have been watching wrestling for about 20 years now and 'Taker has always been there and has always been a big deal. People like Hogan, Austin, and The Rock they always came and went, but 'Taker has always remained. In that respect he very well may be the greatest WWE superstar of all time. In terms of in ring ability, mic skills, and drawing power; however, there are several that are miles ahead of him.

Absolutely not. He came from a time where wrestlers were given gimmicks modeled after jobs. Repo Man, Big Boss Man, The Mountie, The Goon etc. for whatever reason his stupid gimmick stuck and we have been stuck with him for the past 20 years. Everything about him is lame/cheesy/cartoony. We get these grown men, professional tough guys who suddenly get scared like a 7 year old girl when the lights go out? Give me a break. There is no passion and no excitement in his promos. He can't hold a candle to the energy and excitement oh The Rock, HBK, HHH, CM Punk, Steve Austin, and many others on the mic. He can't compare to Brett Hart, HBK, CM Punk, Jericho, Mr Perfect, HHH, and many others in the ring. He is a boring, unbelievable, cartoon character in a business of over the top characters. His Wrestlemania streak is a complete joke. He was booked to win. He didn't accomplish anything other than being there. That streak could have belonged to anyone. It would be like the NFL saying "__________ is the greatest Quarterback ever because he is undefeated on Monday Night Football in December." So what? (The Super Bowl would be an unfair comparison to Wrestlemania because Super Bowl winners are champions, his Wrestlemania matches have not produced titles.) The Undertaker is extremely boing and I am looking forward to his retirement and no longer hearing about his ridiculous streak and no longer having a zombie character with super powers as a professional wrestler. As wrestling evolves and characters play the part of real people, he looks more and more out of place.

I make mention of this a lot, but people get very very confused a lot on terms and what they really mean even OPs. Greatest this vs biggest that etc.

Anyway as far as this topic is concerned, dont confuse greatest gimmick of all time with greatest of all time.

Now we are talking Superstar as not in greatest wrestler of all time because that's Bret Hart and greatest in ring performer is HBK.

But ppl who would argue on the star Hogan or Flair are number one need to realize that what was doesnt continue for the sake of them being the ones who paved the way, The Rock is the greatest superstar of all time. Period. You could argue Austin and I would listen, anyone else, no. It's undoubted that Rock and Austin have far surpassed Hogan and Flair as the TOP TWO stars however you personally rank them, its a fact these two are the top two. Rock and Austin make each other, are damn near close in everything except mic skills and are the best rivalry of the greatest period in wrestling The Attitude Era and period really. though McMahon/Austin was the major feud of that time frame, Rock/Austin had a magic untouched and that cant be mimicked.

Rock and Austin's stardom is really bigger though they werent wrestling for over decades and decades like Ric and Hulk. They were the big two names, now Rock and Austin are the big two names.

They got bigger in a shorter time and had respectable careers and knew when to leave and come back appropiately.

Taker is just behind them and I'd say Michaels next then Hogan and Flair maybe if not HHH before them in that line up of greats

Undertaker is the greatest in a lot of aspects, but overall not the greatest of all time. He is fantastic at putting over talent, highly respected in the locker room and has put on some very entertaining matches. With that being said, guys like Shawn Michaels, Triple H and The Rock are your big money drawers (and really thats what its all about isn't it?). Then you throw in Austin and Hogan, and it's hard to even picture Taker as one of the top 5 all time guys.

I think Undertaker is one of the best of all time, but THE best? No. I have to give that honor to Shawn Michaels. In my opinion there's no Superstar in wrestling history that matches HBK's overall success.

Have to agree with alot of the other people it depends on what you are looking for. Is he one of the greatest of all time? Yes. Maybe not top 5 but I think top 10.

Draws- Austin and Hogan
Mic Skills- Piper, Austin and Rock
Wrestling Skills- Kurt Angle, HBK, Bret Hart, Mr Perfect, Steamboat and Macho Man
Performers/Entertainers- HBK, HHH, Rock, Austin, Piper, Hogan, Flair, Warrior, Undertaker, Kurt, Jake Roberts I based this off of a little of everything from promo, backstage segments, ring work, storylines ect.)

These are just my opinions. I think Undertaker is the best big man ever, but to be honest I think the Kane gimmick is much more intense looking and I was around 5 or so when I saw Undertaker debut. And he is a leader and he was for the most part always up there. And I also think he is the face of the company just not in a Cena fashion. More of this is what you should live up too way. I do think him staying isn’t helping his cause. At wrestlemania he didn’t look good appearance wise with the attire and mohawk. I thought it just looked bad, and very old, sorry. Another thing people should stop comparing streaks and title reigns because it’s scripted and pre selected. You got to go by the match and the performances they put on.

Id put him at number 2. Like you said, the streak 20-0, loyalty to the company, longevity, and skills. Hes great in every aspect WWF could have wanted. Shawn Michaels has to be number 1 though. Hes also a life long WWF guy, changed he style of the WWF that we see today, stayed loyal to the company, and put on so many classic WM matches.

Anybody can have a streak in Pro-Wrestling because the results are predetermined.

Undertaker is not the greatest of all time in any way. Hulk Hogan, The Rock and Steve Austin are the greatest of all time.

I agree completely with SickJames. The greatest WWE superstar, and ever, in any promotion, is The Rock. He has surpassed Hogan with his win over Cena at WM 28. Just because Hogan paved the way doesn't mean he forever owns the top spot.

As for where The Undertaker stands. Ya gotta put him in the top 5 and an argument can be made hes the greatest but as a lot of posters have said he was never "the guy." You can make an argument on that though too. I mean lets face it, WrestleMania, the biggest event of the year is largely based around his streak. So that alone makes him one of "the guys."

If this were basketball id say The Undertaker is Tim Duncan. He does it every year. Hes consistent. Hes won championships. You respect him. Hes got longevity. But there's just something that keeps him from getting to Michael Jordan's level. And there is no shame in that as there is only one MJ and that's The Rock.

Wow UT being the greatest superstar of all time! Hard to argue with that one. A seven time Champion seven time tag team champion 2007 royal rumble winnner. Many Many accomplishments in the ring. If anyone has saw the top 50 superstars of all time it had UT second to HBK.

Now while i cant disagree with the list,i would have had no problem with UT being first. Taker to the business, is second to none. From his first debut at Survivor Series yah he looked kind of cartoonish but damn that gimmick worked then and still does today. Taker has evolved had adapted to change and that is damn there impossible to do.

Taker in the attitude era his ministry of darkness days,was again an example of adapting to change the way times were going taker followed. I like the biker taker in the early 2000's to me again an example of how you adapt to the times. So yah to me taker is the greatest superstar of all time but HBK being no1 i have no problem with

Undertaker is probably one of the greatest of all time. And I am not talking about his in ring skills but just the loyalty and his accomplishments in the business for over 20 years. That guy has been there for 20 years and has been loyal ever since then. But if you are talking about THE greatest of all time then you are talking about The Rock. Without a doubt that The Rock is the absolute best of all time, he accomplished more in 6 years then Hogan did in 10 years. Hogan put him over in 2002 but that doesn't mean he is the greatest for all time. No Rock is the absolute best, The Undertaker one of the very best that has ever step foot in that square circle.

I agree completely with SickJames. The greatest WWE superstar, and ever, in any promotion, is The Rock. He has surpassed Hogan with his win over Cena at WM 28. Just because Hogan paved the way doesn't mean he forever owns the top spot.
So a win over Cena when he's a part time guy makes him the best ever... And you're right just because Hogan paved the way doesn't mean he's the top. Rock was on top for maybe two years, most of his career was spent in another guys shadow, a Large Stone Cold shadow.

As for where The Undertaker stands. Ya gotta put him in the top 5 and an argument can be made hes the greatest but as a lot of posters have said he was never "the guy." You can make an argument on that though too. I mean lets face it, WrestleMania, the biggest event of the year is largely based around his streak. So that alone makes him one of "the guys."
Yes, that is true, and while I don't like Taker and never have. The respect I have for him makes me think of him as top 5 or ten.

If this were basketball id say The Undertaker is Tim Duncan. He does it every year. Hes consistent. Hes won championships. You respect him. Hes got longevity. But there's just something that keeps him from getting to Michael Jordan's level. And there is no shame in that as there is only one MJ and that's The Rock.

Great use there, Tim Duncan would be equal to the Undertaker, and if you were making a starting five it would look like this.

Magic Johnson- Steve Austin
Michael Jordon-Shawn Michaels
Oscar Robinson/Lebron James- Hulk Hogan
Tim Duncan-The Undertaker
Hakeem Olajuwon- Bruno Sammartino

HBK is all around the best performer in WWE history. He was voted as the number one wrestler in WWE history by his peers, and put on the best match on almost every night he ever wrestled especially at wrestlemania. Shawn was always the best performer no matter where he was at. Austin comes next and will always be the big time player and number one in that era. In some people's eyes the Attitude era was the best era ever, and during that time Austin was THE MAN. You can't debate it, Austin was the number one draw and the overall man in the company. Hulk Hogan, do I have to explain this? I didn't think so. Bruno Sammartino- during an era of star in new york he was the big one. Bruno was the Hulk Hogan of his era and if his career had started later we'd probably be talking about him being above Hogan. In a time when being the world champion actually meant you were the man Bruno held the world title on two different occasions and it last over 11 years.. Bruno might not be mentioned all the time but that's because of his problems with vince. He's one of the greatest of all time and his era of dominance will never be matched... And The Undertaker who truly became great in 2004 imo, and has let off a little since then. Overall his Longevity and amazing work have put him here. Taker is here just because of his consistency and making a huge impact on gimmicks and changing the landscape of how things are done.

I have never liked the big, imposing guys as much as the guys like HBK, Hennig and Flair but the one thing you can say is that Undertaker is the ONE big guy who, even though his character is cartooonish he kept coming up with new moves to add to the character.

Most big guys have a four or five move set (or in Hogan's case three) and do not progress. Undertaker was not satisfied with walking the top rope and a Tombstone. Obviously, he is not Bret Hart in terms of mat wrestling but he was able to surprise us with some new moves.

I also enjoyed seeing how he seemed to enjoy when they let him change the character from the pseudo-zombie at the beginning to the evil man with the maniacal look kidnapping Stephanie McMahon to the biker and to where he is now. Again, when a guy has phenomenal success but still keeps working on things it says a lot about him.

He is the best Big Man if nothing else.

Simply put, no. He might be in the top 10 if you stretch it, but he's nowhere near the likes of Austin, Hogan, Rock, etc.

I always hate this ridiculous attempt at a distinction between wrestler and entertainer. If you're a good worker, you're a good wrestler and you'll become a big draw. Period. If you're not a big draw, you're not a good worker and thus, you're not a good wrestler. Undertaker is a fantastic worker, but he didn't get that way until much later in his career. If he had the workrate he has now during the 90s when he was in his physical prime, he'd probably be far and away the best of all time.

Alas, this is not the case and Undertaker is not the best.

Funnyhowfactswork

Gotta disagree with your starting five. If we are staying on the basketball analogy my starting 5 goes PG: HBK. SG: Austin. SF: The Rock. PF: Hogan. C: The Undertaker. That's my top 5 there with The Rock #1.

I do believe only though a part time star now his win over Cena made him the greatest. He has no successfully beaten every top star of the last 3 eras of wrestling at WM in Hogan, Austin and Cena. His charisma and catch phrases are second to none. Add the fact that he is also the 4th highest paid actor in Hollywood (look it up) and he just has an aura about him that surpasses everyone. Imagine if he never did movies how many titles he'd have? As it is he can probably still go another 5 years at a high level in the shape he is in as a part timer.

Personally, all that's left for him to do is end The Streak and if I was booking WM this year I'd have the Undertaker going in as champ. We can work out the details later how this happens. But I'd have him defend it against The Rock who is on a mission to become champion again. We all know whoever The Undertaker faces is gonna lose at Mania but now suddenly you've got The Rock back for one last title shot to try and become champion again. I think that'll put some doubt in people's heads that The Rock might win.

Just an idea. This is a fun thread though

I honestly should take Taker off of my list because I make a huge mistake and forgot someone completely and that's John Cena one of the greatest draws and best wrestlers of all time. I actually have to drop Bruno down for him mostly because of how great Cena is. I sometimes dont put current guys in the argument but if I do Cena atm is four and climbing.

I feel the drawing power discussion is very subjective. For example, when I was a kid I watching wrestling very casually and had never given Vince McMahon a dime of my money. But once Taker debuted, I was hooked. After that, I started buying tickets, merch, PPV, etc. I also got my friends into wrestling, and they started doing the same. So even though Taker wasn't their favorite necessarily, you could make the argument that Taker is still more or less "responsible" for the money my friends and I have spent on wrestling-related products over the last 20 years, which is probably over $10K at this point. Now that's a mere drop in the WWE bucket, but it's something that isn't necessarily quantifiable by looking at a buyrate or TV rating.

I found the comp to Tim Duncan above to be very on point. I had never really thought of it in those terms before, but it makes a lot of sense. Taker didn't have the apex like Austin, Rock, etc. but I'd say that he's had the best overall career out of anyone. He's certainly the best big man of all time based on his longevity and versatility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back