Uncle Phatso's Hard rock and Heavy metal question Thread.

Uncle Phatso

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Good evening guys and gals. It's Uncle Phatso here, but you allredy knew that. Here is my idea, I stole it from that metal show. I'm going to pick a question about once a week and let you answer it. I will also answer my question. I know we allredy have a metal discussion thread, but lets be honest. I'm the only one posting in that damn thing.

So basically you can debate if you want to. But I believe this should be more about you guys answering the question with your heart and minds.

Remember this is a no spam section. So no spam and No bullshit.

Who is the worlds second biggest guitarist.

Lets get this straight here guys, Jimi Hendrix on name alone would beat everyone in this competition. Everyone including the fucking pope knows this man. So in my mind this question is based on name. If you asked some random stranger to name the biggest guitarist after Jimi Hendrix what would you get?

That's my horse and I will stick to it. Slash has done it all, I have enjoyed his side projects. But Gnr was his bread and butter. Everyone knows who Slash is. He's huge in music, He's been on the superbowl, a Comedy show in 2003 called Kid notorious, he is huge in the enviromental world. He just is larger than life. I believe Slash is just behind Jimi on the biggest names list.

Great idea thread Phatso.

Who is the worlds second biggest guitarist? Slash is a great pick, you said all the right reasons Phatso. I was almost going to say that I agree with you. However, this man came to my mind:

clapton.jpg

That's right, someone who is contemporary to Hendrix, Eric Clapton. This man has a long repertoire and musical path. He has made songs like "Layla" (both electric and acoustic) and "Tears in heaven" a must learn in guitar. Everybody knows those songs. Even for Slash, Clapton is a reference as a guitar player.

Honorable mentions: Jimmy Page :)

I'm certainly thinking this guy

randy-rhoads.jpg

Randy Rhoads

The mere fact that the guy has influenced countless guitarists is amazing (such as Zakk Wylde, Dimebag Darrell etc), all the more when you release he only was on four albums (two of which you can only get in Japan) his blending of classical music and hard rock was unique and his playing was just amazing

I'm certainly thinking this guy

randy-rhoads.jpg

Randy Rhoads

The mere fact that the guy has influenced countless guitarists is amazing (such as Zakk Wylde, Dimebag Darrell etc), all the more when you release he only was on four albums (two of which you can only get in Japan) his blending of classical music and hard rock was unique and his playing was just amazing

If only 2 of his albums have been out here, wouldn't that lessen the chances of him being a well-known guitarist to the masses?

My horse is a creepily dressed one, but can play a hell of a tune:

Angus-Young-ac-dc-4157868-664-439.jpg

Angus Young is certainly well known to the rock community and I think has had enough exposure to be well-known en mass by different generations.

Really hard to argue past Slash though as the short monosyllabic name and iconic look certainly helps.

I am going to have to go with my boy Slash for this one. He is iconic, not just for his instantly recognisable image (top hat etc) but his style of guitaring has been a mainstay in the rock/metal world for over 20 years.

Slash was a crucial part of one of biggest Rock bands of all time in Guns N Roses, and in my eyes was as important to that band as Axl Rose was. The number of classic tracks that Slash played on is huge, he was a member of the supergroup Velvet Revolver, toured under the banner of his own band Slash's Snakepit, and has recently released a new album where he works with the top names in music including Ozzy, Myles Kennedy, Lemmy, Kid Rock and many more.

Slash is an icon in music, and shows no sign of slowing down yet. His hard-living lifestyle has only increased his legend and he is certainly a candidate for the number 2 spot in this.

If only 2 of his albums have been out here, wouldn't that lessen the chances of him being a well-known guitarist to the masses?

Not really, what I'm getting at is that because he's well known for the first two Ozzy Osbourne albums (Blizzard Of Ozz and Diary Of A Madman) as well as the Live Tribute album and he's managed to influence countless metal and hard rock guitarists just shows how good he is. I'm fairly sure any metal fan worth their salt knows who Randy Rhoads is.

I'm fairly sure any metal fan worth their salt knows who Randy Rhoads is.

The fact that Rhoads has influenced so many people in such a short time shows what a talent he was. Not many other guitarists have had such a huge impact in such a short career.

If you like your metal, you appreciate Randy Rhoads and his immense talent. He was a hard act to follow that was for sure, and it is lucky for Ozzy that he found big Zakk Wylde, as there arent too many guitarists out there who could replace Randy.

Not really, what I'm getting at is that because he's well known for the first two Ozzy Osbourne albums (Blizzard Of Ozz and Diary Of A Madman) as well as the Live Tribute album and he's managed to influence countless metal and hard rock guitarists just shows how good he is. I'm fairly sure any metal fan worth their salt knows who Randy Rhoads is.

Aye I get what you're saying, but what I mean is in regards to the question posed where Phatso was asking about random strangers naming a guitar player, I wouldn't expect his name to ring out so much. That's all I'm getting at :)

These are all great choices, but I think we are overlooking one of the most influential and talented rock artists of the 20th century, Eddie Van Halen. Eddie has been ranked by numerous magazines such as Rolling Stone and The All Music Guide as one of the best guitarists in the world. Second only to Jimi Hendrix. Of course Eddie might not have risen to fame without the influences of Leslie West, Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Tony Iommi, and Eric Clapton.

eddie-van-halen.jpg

Also, artists like Randy Rhoads, Slash, and other rock/metal bands that have come out from the 80's and 90's have cited Eddie and the band Van Halen as a huge influence. When someone thinks of the top guitarist or even the top 3 guitarists in the world, Eddie Van Halen should be included in that list.

It's gotta be between Slash and Clapton, but it's a little hard to decide. More kids today would know who Slash is, and probably haven't even heard of the Yardbirds, but I personally feel that Clapton is the better guitarist, based on his ability to improvise and his longevity in the business. But, the question was, second biggest guitarist, which I assume fame factors into, so I'd have to go with Slash, but really, it depends on who you ask.

At the current moment I think Slash wins it hands down. If the question is "biggest" and not best then he wins it. It seemed like when Weiland left Velvet Revolver and everyone started talking about replacement vocalists and then Slash put out his solo album which did considerably well when you have the fact that he was just the guitarist in a band (albeit a very well known one) his world just kind of exploded. Plus coming up he's going to be featured as a cartoon in a "Phineas and Ferb" episode (or is it a movie?). Once again, based on name and not pure talent it seems like he's the world's biggest guitarist.

EDIT: Sorry I re-read the first post and realized I mis-understood.

On name recognition alone... I was going to say Dave Mustaine, and I still say it's not a bad choice, but fact is not too many non-rock fans know Mustaine's name. They DO however usually know Kirk Hammett...

Now if you're talking about the best, talent wise you're talking about Joey Satriani or Stevey Vai. And I just wonder how many people know Victor Smolski.

Well that went sort of better than expected. I didn't have hopes for like 4 pages of discussion. I just wanted 2-3 people to post in here, but sorry for the delay. August is a rather shitty month for me.

But here is my next question for all you Hard rock and heavy metal fans!

What is your favorite hard rock or heavy metal Live album??

Mine is Lamb of god- Killadelphia

For me this album fully shows the best of what LoG had to offer from their first three albums. I have owned both the album and the dvd, let me tell you the dvd is pretty fucking sweet to. The crowd at the show is just on fire, and Randy keeps them pumped up for the whole show. It also shows some of the road life that they went through, including Randy Blythe getting punched out by Mark Morton. It's pretty good shit.

The album is mixed allmost flawlessly off the dvd so it makes for allmost no stops in the album. It's just full of my favorite type of music from a monster band. Shoot me your favorite album!

I would have to go with The Link Alive by Gojira. Although produced before my favorite album by them (The Way of All Flesh), it's still a really solid live album, front to back. They're a band that sounds like their music, which is hard to find nowadays, and something I really appreciate. Especially in the harder genres. Salival by Tool is great as well, although not necessarily a live ALBUM, it has a few songs on their that are done as live remixes to existing songs. Totally awesome.

While I like Gojira, I do not however like their album The Link. It is the only album that I do not own of them, I'm only a fan of one song on that album. That being Indians.

The Link alive on the other hand had some of Terra's songs on it. A few and I enjoyed most of that album, so that is the only redeming qualitys I believe it has on it.

However they are working on a new live dvd with I believe the last cd they did. I'm not sure what all it will be but from what I've read a section of it will at least be that cd. With that being said I could easily be impresed enough by that album and their progression from The link to the way of all flesh to change my pick to that live dvd. But untill then I just think that the cd was lackluster enough for me not to care that much about The Link alive. I've seen it, but unless I can pick it up for less than say 8 dollars. I won't be buying it.

I'd think I'd have to go with two.
IEAIA.jpg

Very good album and it also features the "Something Wicked" trilogy which absolutely love.

another one would have to be
A7xliveinlbc.jpg

This is another one that is very good. I've heard multiple tracks off this album and also I heard the "Walk" cover on my Pandora and wondered where it came from so I looked an saw it came from this album.

Although I used to really like Iced Eath, I just can't fathom why any person likes A7X. I mean, there's lots of music I don't like, and god forbid I know I'm nothing special with my opinion, but I just feel they are the pop music of metal. And hell, Phatso, if you don't like choice number one, I'll have to lay out choices two and three.

2. Decade of Aggression by Slayer

3. Adios... Puta Madres by Ministy

Now, I know the metal world as a whole isn't entirely huge on Ministry, but I love these guys. I saw them in concert during their "last" tour, the C-U-LaTour, and they rocked it. Everytime I hear this live album, it brings back memories of that kickass show.

P.S. Possible idea for next question; best metal cover song? Just a thought.

Agreed the Ministry album was a fucking monster live cd. I loved the last three songs of it, and I just loved the three anti Bush cd's Uncle Al put out. That was an amazing set of political metal.

Funny thing about Doa from Slayer, I passed up that album to pick up In flames new album at the end of June. No bullshit I'm kind of wondering if I should of gotten that. I could of gotten that and another cd for the price of that new album.

I'm sorry to the dude who posted the thing about A7X. I could give two fat shits for anything they put out, I give all bands the chance that they diserve. I've gave the last 3 albums they put out a chance. I just can't be bothered with anything they put out anymore.

But as to the next question being best metal cover song. Are we talking like a metal band covering a rock song, or a metal band covering another metal song, or all together? So like the question would be what is your favorite hard rock or metal cover son?

Go with both. Metal cover of a metal song, and metal cover of a song from a different genre. Your thread though, lol. Just an idea.

Ok guys, here is the skinny. My computer blew up! I am starting this back up though! Lets hope for a better turn out this time around than the last question

What is your favorite hard rock or heavy metal cover song.

This is an easy one guys. It can be any metal or rock band covering any genre of music.

Mine is: Ministry - Lay Lady Lay
[YOUTUBE]Ms7hd4e_EFg[/YOUTUBE]

I remember as a kid hearing Bob Dylan’s song Lay Lady Lay in the car with my mom. She enjoyed the song and always turned it up when it began to play. About three years ago I really go into Ministry after reading an article on Al J the lead singer of the band in a revolver mag. I just went through their whole set of cd's and was amazed. This song was just kind of strange to me, I didn’t know why it sounded so familiar. But I looked it up one day on youtube and was reading the comments and someone brought up Dylan. I was like WOW, this is a Lay lady lay? Damn this is a pretty titties cover, and I've just really enjoyed it ever since.

We have to get this thing rockin`again. I have to kill it hardcore to get some interest, and I`ll stick with Phatso`s last question.
Best metal cover? You couldn't guess it if you tried.
Listen to this and die laughing.
[YOUTUBE]UCraV1epWOA[/YOUTUBE]

Lol. I'm totally joking about that being my favorite. It's totally this.

[YOUTUBE]3twRkEBvnfI[/YOUTUBE]

We have to get this thing rockin`again. I have to kill it hardcore to get some interest, and I`ll stick with Phatso`s last question.
Best metal cover? You couldn't guess it if you tried.
Listen to this and die laughing.
[YOUTUBE]UCraV1epWOA[/YOUTUBE]

Lol. I'm totally joking about that being my favorite. It's totally this.

[YOUTUBE]3twRkEBvnfI[/YOUTUBE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back