UFC Quarter 1 2016 Thread

Turd Ferguson

DA-DA Da Da Da Bah Da Da DADADA
This is the thread to discuss all of the upcoming cards and any general news that goes on with this crazy sport we love so much.

I'm bummed out about the lack of hype UFC 195 is getting because it has the makings of a card that is pure fireworks.

The main event of Lawler vs. Condit is going to be sheer brutality for 25 (or less!) minutes. Neither guy disappoints whenever they get in the cage and this has all the makings of being a Fight of the Year Candidate. I had been feeling Condit all week but now with Lawler the betting underdog, plus the fact that Carlos said if he loses, he might retire, and the rumors of him possibly suffering a concussion during camp.... I think Lawler pulls it off.

Stipe Miocic vs. Andrei Arlovski should be interesting. I can't believe Arlovski, given all of his issues he had with his chin in Strikeforce, is now one win away from a title shot. His last fight against Frank Mir literally put me to sleep but his fight against Travis Browne was the best one round fight since Diaz vs. Daley. Miocic is criminally underrated and is so well rounded. I didn't think he'd ever get to this point after he was knocked out by Stefan Struve years ago.

Larkin and Tumenov have run roughshod through the division so far and are now on a collision course. The fight should be pure fireworks for as long as it lasts but my rule of thumb lately is not to pick against the Russians under any circumstances. Larkin has had his chin tested in the past and Tumenov is a killer.

Brian Ortega vs. Diego Brandao is another fight where Brando is set up to be just a gatekeeper for a hot prospect. Ortega has looked very good so far in the UFC and his fight vs. Thiago Tavares this summer was one of my favorites of the year. Ortega is legit on the round and he's getting better on the feet. This is 100% a showcase fight for him.

Abel Trujilo vs. Tony Sims should be another exciting brawl. Sims looked great in his UFC debut, Trujilo, while he hits like a Mack Truck, hasn't looked so hot lately, getting submitted by notorious boring fighter and guy who does not finish in Gleison Tibau in less than two minutes. Sims seems like he's a more polished striker, and I think he takes this.

PLUS - The prelims feature the return of one of my favorites in Michael McDonald, and Joseph Duffy vs. Dustin Poirier should be a great fight. This is a card loaded with potential FOTNs and is totally worth your time tomorrow.

I bought the last two in a row for 70 (fucking SEVENTY!!!) dollars, but this one doesn't draw me in as much from a personal interest standpoint, although I do not at all doubt he quality of the action. Ill be catching it possibly the next day.

Though I do agree, Condit Vs Lawlzer will be a real ball buster.

The last two PPV's have not worked out well for me as far as my disposable income situation at the time of the events, I'll be skipping this one too. I am still fairly new to the sport & not familiar with all the fighters, the only fight on this particular card that drew any interest from me is Lawler/Condit.

What is the general consensus on Conor wanting to fight RDA for the LW title?

I really think he should defend his belt vs. Frankie first before making a move up and even then he shouldn't be able to walk into a title shot, he'd have to take out a top 3 guy before getting the shot. If he wins that fight, then be can get the shot at the LW title with the caveat being that if he wins, he relinquishes the FW title. I'm just not a fan of keeping a division on hold for so long, especially where both LW and FW are so rich with talent and excellent up and coming fighters.

I do think he would have his way with anyone in either division EXCEPT Khabib. I really hope that guy comes into 2016 strong. He's basically Russian Sonnen but with even more legit skills.

Lawler/Condit might just be the knock down drag out brawl everyone's expecting. I see Lawler retaining, 3 rounds...TKO. Robbie's really seasoned well into a champion of a division.

Arlovski/Miocic, I dunno. I thought Mir vs Arlo would be brutal, it was weird. Arlovski likes the waiting game but there's always that left coming. I'd pick the beard man here.

So bummed the Jimy Hettes vs Charles Rosa and Mairbek Taisumov vs. Chris Wade fights got changed last minute for Sunday's card. Those would have been great scraps.

Taking off work Friday and going to the open workouts at the UFC Gym in Boston though. I feel like this is the leadup to Christmas. So excited for Sunday. Seats are amazing and the card is going to be incredible. Cruz is so in Dillashaw's head.

I'm convinced that the best storyline of the year has already taken place. Dominick Cruz returning after several injuries to take back the title he never lost and doing so with just 61 seconds of fight time over the last 5 years. A champion gets injured, they strip him of the title, while he's covering you build up a new star as the best in the world and then the old champion returns and they have an extremely close fight which makes people want to see a rematch.

How a company like WWE doesn't understand this concept is beyond me. Great comeback for Cruz and TJ is still boring on the microphone.

Would also love to see Jon Jones wreck Travis Browne once he moves up to Heavyweight. Browne vs. Cain in 2016 would also be acceptable because Cain would go full demi-god mode and end him.

I strongly disliked people taking jabs at Alvarez for using a blatant weakness in Pettis's game. Sure it's boring but Pettis is too strong of a striker. Alvarez did the right thing and he should win because of it. It makes RDAs complete dominance over Pettis so much more impressive though.

As for Dom and TJ. The first was easily Dom, TJ was swinging and missing with everything. I would give also the last round to Dom, TJ was doing well in the beginning of the round, but after that it was mostly Dom landing combos and being elusive. 49-46 Dom, I agree with the last judge, even the first judge I can see being a good decision, but 49-46 TJ? That was mindblowing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back