• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

UFC Pay-Per-View Look Back and Review

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
When I became a viewer of Mixed Martial Arts, I made a pact with myself to over time, try and watch as much of the product as I could. So I decided that the best thing to do for my expansion into the realm of Mixed Martial Arts, just as I once did with professional wrestling years ago is to create a solid base. The base would be the most mainstream level of Mixed Martial Arts, the company that has created a phenomenon in North America and elsewhere in the world. The Ultimate Fighting Championship would be this company. Beginning in 1992 as a no holds barred company that at one time was almost forced to quit, illegal in almost all the states, this cage fighting was frowned upon across North America. However, after a change in formats later down the line and a new leader of the company, with new established stars, the company changed into a respectable level of competition. The UFC would begin to go mainstream with the ability to become hugely popular in The United Kingdom, Canada, and around the world.

As the UFC approaches their 100th pay per view next month, I will begin to review all the shows as I watch them. As I have only watched more recent shows, I will have to seek out older shows to view and review. Marquis has planned to help me with this process, and I hope that his more established bank of information in the art will help me.

I know the MMA section of this board gets little love, but I hope with the posters who will post in it offer their insight into the pay per views as I review them.

Some Users that I hope will be able to give their insight into the product, as well as many more out there:

Thank you and I hope you enjoy over the coming months.

UFC 1: The Beginning

UFC1vhs.jpg

So my first review of UFC events begin today. I don't know how long each review will take me, but I hope to do them as quickly as I have time to find, watch, and review each one. UFC one is an eight man tournament that comes live to pay per view from Denver, Colorado. The matches are no holds bar, that just limit such things as eye gouges. The rounds are five minutes long, but there are no limits for rounds. Matches end in submission, knock out, or when your trainer throws in a towel. These eight men will represent eight different methods of fighting.

Gerard Gordeau
Height: 6’5
Weight: 216lbs
Style: Savate

Teila Tuli
Height: 6’2
Weight: 410lbs
Style: Sumo

The entrance start with Tuli coming out first, with the announcers promoting Tuli’s sumo heritage and sumo wrestling in Japan. Gordeau comes out next, and his strong kicks are emphasized. They both have the initial stare down and the referee gives each man the rules, and the first match in UFC pay per view history is about to start.

[youtube]qNrxjqsvuJQ[/youtube]​

Tuli knows that his lack of speed, but large size is going to be the determining factor of this match. He knows that if he attacks head on in a surprise move, he could throw Gordeau down. He goes for the takedown, but on the way, Gordeau is able to get a clean hit to the side of Tuli’s face. Tuli goes down, and Gordeau goes for the kill with a vicious kick to the head. The referee got in their quick and called for the time out. Tuli is bleeding from the face and knows the fight is over almost before it began. I must say, If Tuli had the reach that Gordeau had; this match might have been a different story.

Kevin Rosier
Height: 6’4
Weight: 265lbs
Style: Kickboxing

Zane Frasier
Height: 6’6
Weight: 230lbs
Style: Karate

Rosier comes out first, and it is kind of surprising to me at least to see a kick boxer who is not in the best of shape. UFC at this time was not exactly completely professional, not until at least the UFC 30s. Both larger men are ready to go after Frazier gets to the ring. Rosier looks nervous against the muscular Frazier. As the match starts, Rosier really looks ready to go and tries to back Frazier up and it seems to work. Rosier gets some great shots in including a vicious knee to the face. Frazier is looking weak as he is thrown to the ground and Rosier begins taking shots at the head. Frazier is able to get up and takes R hard into the wall and gets a good knee in. This shakes Rosier as Frazier begins to pound away. Rosier tries to tie up Frazier and tries to equal the shots, but he looks tired. Frazier gets some more straight shots in, and some connect. Frazier now looks gassed out. UFC really was not the Mixed Martial Arts display that it is now, evident by Frazier’s lack of guards. Both men look exhausted less than 2 minutes in. They break free and give each other deflected shots before getting tied up again. Rosier tries a take down, but falls, giving Fraizer the advantage. The bear of a man Rosier tries to break loose and he is able with little resistance. Both men look like they ran a marathon. They are now four minutes in and Frazier begins allowing punches to take place. Frasier has no defense against the open shots and goes to the ground. Rosier begins to just stomp his head as the towel gets thrown in. The match just goes to show that endurance counts for so much in these types of fights.

Royce Gracie
Height: 6’1
Weight: 180
Style: Jiu-Jitsu

Art Jimerson
Weight: 196lbs
Style: Boxing

Gracie is given the underdog story early in the bout. He is being billed as being the lightest guy in the tournament. He enters the ring first. An interesting story is Royce uses the Jiu-Jitsu style which had very little following back when UFC began. When Frank Mir was just 14 years old, he watched Royce on UFC 1, and was amazed at his fighting ability. Jimerson enters the ring second, with one hand utilizing a boxing glove, and one hand bare. Interesting set up to say the least. His boxing record is built up, and the crowd is excited to see the two styles meet. Royce is wearing the full on outfit, which for me I see as a bad mistake, giving handles everywhere for Jimerson. But that being said, Jimerson only has one free hand. Jimerson looks for an early charge, while preventing Gracie’s side kick, but Gracie shows his great defense, and takes him down with lighting speed. Gracie mounts Jimerson and locks on a guard. A head butt is thrown by Jimerson, but the guard is still locked on. Jimerson has no way out with that glove on, and like a snake, Jimerson is being suffocated. Knowing there is no where to go, he has to tap out. The match is over just like that.

Ken Shamrock
Weight: 220
Style: Shootfighter

Patrick Smith
Height: 6’2
Weight: 217lbs
Style: Tae Kwon Do

Ken Shamrock gets the jack of all trades build. As UFC would grown so would the fighters. I bet that if Ken Shamrock would have trained in more than just the shootfighting techniques, his UFC would have been better than it was. But I give Shamrock early credit for branching out early on in the UFC’s history. In the last of the four fights of the first round of the tournament, Shamrock will face the home town boy. Patrick Smith gets the big hometown cheer as he enters the ring. Smith’s record is massive, 250-0, and the home crowd knows he is going to take part in a good match.

Shamrock starts the early attack with a takedown, but Smith easily blocks it. Shamrock goes at it again, and easily takes him down, the guard gets locked onto Shamrock, but it seems to be loose. Shamrock tries to hinge away and gets a few shots in. Smith also exchanges while he tries to hold onto Shamrock. The break apart into a double leg lock. They each go for and ankle lock, but Shamrock is able to to put more pressure on his. The match is over as Shamrock wins with the lock. They get split up, and it seems as though Shamrock wants to kick him in the head. Smith gets up and they have to be separated. No love lost in this match. The crowd is livid, as Shamrock gets interviewed, and degrades Smith.

Kevin Rosier
Height: 6’4
Weight: 265lbs
Style: Kickboxing

Gerard Gordeau

[youtube]6TnhHLl9dKY[/youtube]​

And so the second round starts, and we get to see the endurance level of each of the four men remaining. Before the match, You really have to think that Rosier will be at a disadvantage, fighting in a shorter time period than Rosier, fighting a much longer fight, and being a lot heavier in the match. Injuries are a problem here as Gordeau has a broken hand entering this fight and Rosier has a vicious cut in his eye.

You know, sportsmanship is something I honour in any sport, and I must say, Rosier has great sportsmanship. As the shake-up the fight begins. Gordeau stars with a kick, and then gets another as Rosier is not looking good. Gordeau kicks him again, and Rosier is on his knees, and the bombs start to drop. Rosier tries to get uo but is met with more hits. Rosier never regains his feet, and the match is over. Rosier has now faces two overweight men, and is fresh as can be. He looks to go far here. Rosier finishes up, and tells the world he plans to drop the weight and become a great match. What a class act, nothing but positive outlook on the sport and his opponents.

Ken Shamrock
Weight: 220
Style: Shootfighter

Royce Gracie

The early matchup of the night in my books. This match should have been made for the finals looking back at it, as ground and pounds meets mat skills. Gracie gets to come out first, and the crowd is cheering his name, whether it be in spite or because they are impressed with him, I do not know. It should be for the second, because he is looking amazing. Shamrock looks like he is pure aggression. Gracie comes in completely calm.

[youtube]BfZWQBT7WQ4[/youtube]​

Gracier does something amazing here, the calm man, who has great defenses, immediately goes for Shamrock with a takedown. Shamrock shows his stuff in flipping Gracie over and trying to put on a guard. But Gracie looks up with Shamrock and attacks his side. As Shamrock tries to escape, Gracie flips upward. Gracie tries to lock into Shamrock and fends off Shamrock. With a chock, Shamrock taps out. It almost looks as although Shamrock tries to hide the fact that he tapped out. Shamrock gives himself the credit for the match, and shows his arrogance even after losing.

Royce Gracie

Gerard Gordeau

After a bit of a break so that poor Gracie can catch his breathe, and then match is on. This is the finals here. Gracie has had some easy matches, but not as easy as Gordeau. Gordeau’s hand is still hurting however, so it is looking to be a great match. Four inches separate the men, lets see how it comes into play.

Gracie goes for the mid section and tries to take Gordeau down. They tie each other up as Gordeaur shows his in ring smarts and backs off to the ropes to prevent a takedown. They test each others strengths as Gordeau gets taken down. Gracie is on top as they both have each other locked in. Gracie gets behind and it is looking close to being over if something doesn’t change. And just like that, Gracie wins as Gordeau submits.

And that is UFC 1: The Beginning. No matches lasted 5 minutes. Royce Gracie was able to shock the world as the lightest man in the entire tournament was able to outlast his opponents and defeat them all with Jiu-Jitsu.

Overall, the pay per view provided great entertainment for the crowd and those at home. As there were overmatches in almost all the matches, the matches went quickly. The best match of the night was Kevin Rosier versus Zane Frazier. Despite the tired men in it, it really showed their hearts in the match. Rosier going over was a great sight.

As someone who doesnt watch much UFC at all I found this quite interesting, the only name I recognised was Shamrock so obviously it was him I was routing for, very surprised when he tapped out like he did, I thought he was supposed to be like the greatest ever or something.

The fact that no fight lasted longer than 5 minutes bothered me, I am used to wrestling obviously where you would get long matches, or boxing where if you got a good match it would go on for a while. Still this is cage fighting, in it's early form, so maybe I am asking too much of these guys.

So anyway, all in all that was pretty interesting, I now know what happened at the first UFC PPV and can hopefully build my knowledge from there. Obviously I shall be relying on you lot.

Let me first say that I think this is an absolutely great idea for a thread. Letting people know where this product has come from to showing where it is going is a great idea and I really look forward to reading what you have to say on all the events that have lead up to the 100th show of UFC. I think that UFC 100 will be the crowning glory for UFC thus far and I am looking forward to it immensely.

As far as UFC1 goes, I was shocked as to how far the business and product has come. I think that it shows great depth in a product that it can change so much and still remain appealing to the same core group of fans. The Gracie fight, after watching it, is just amazing. I never knew a lot about the man but now I can see why he is a great fighter and is synonymous with UFC.

Great thread TM and I am looking forward to reading more. Great work.

I really wish I could've watched this while it happened.

It's so funny looking back at it, though. This event was billed as something everyone has always wondered: If you get fighters from every aspect of the self-defense World, from Karate to Boxing to Wrestling to etc., who would win in a no holds barred fighting tournament? And what's so funny to me is that the Gracies knew that no fighter could withstand their Jiu-Jitsu, and what people don't know is that they were the ones behind putting the first UFC together. It was all that family's idea, because they knew they could tap out anyone who stepped in that octagon. And the best thing is... they were right.

Royce Gracie gets all the credit for winning UFC 1, but the fact is... any Gracie could've won that night. None of those guys without the last name Gracie knew how to defend submissions. None of them, which made every fight Royce Gracie had a huge mismatch.

And that's all UFC 1 is, Jiu-Jitsu being introduced nationally. That's honestly it. It served no other purpose than to get Jiu-Jitsu over as the most superior self-defense art there is. And what's just hilarious to me, almost 20 years later, on the verge of UFC 100, Lyoto Machida is showing everyone that if you know it correctly, that Karate is the best and always has been, and that there's no defeating it if you do it right. To me that is just beyond awesome.

But yeah... great review TM. I'm looking forward to your UFC 2 review next. :)

I remember reading about UFC 1 in an MMA magazine. That's right, I've been reading magazines about it. Be impressed.

I've only watched the first match so far but I saw my name mentioned so I thought I better come up with something to say. He kicked him in the fucking head! I think I remember reading Gordeau had one or two teeth embedded in his foot. Could have been a different fighter, a different even or even a different promotion, but I seem to remember it being there and then.

As it is, I think I prefer UFC now. The fights are just as - if not more - exciting (I'd take Gonzaga knocking out Cro Cop over that first fight any day of the week) but the fighters are more safer and the sport is seen as much more legitimate.

I'll watch the other fights later today (I hope) and get back to you. Good job TM.

Shit I wish I could've watch this event while it actually happened.

Now as far as UFC 1 goes, i'm suprised & amazed as to how far the business & the actual product has come as UFC still remains appealing to the same hardcore group of fans despite havin alot of changes in the overall product. When I was lookin back at both of the Gracie fights & after watchin those two fights, I was amazed as those matches were amazing & really had me interested when I decided to check these matches out. I also agree with JMT that the main purpose for UFC 1 was to get Jiu-Jitisu being introduced nationally to the entire world

But yeah & also great job TM for a great review of UFC 1. I am lookin forward to readin & replyin to your review of UFC 2 next.

I don’t keep up with UFC as much as others do. So, I didn’t know who anyone on the card was except for Ken Shamrock. But I honestly thought that Ken was going to win his fight. I don’t if it was because all of the things I have heard about him as a fighter then or if it was something else, but I just thought he was going to win his fight and was surprised to see him tap out after a few minutes.

Now I do have one complain. Miko already stated it but I’ll say why it is my complain. The fights were all short. They all went under 5 minutes. Maybe it’s just me, but I like seeing it when the fighters go on for a long amount of time. I don’t know if back then when they started with pay per view they had limits for matches or not. If someone could tell me if they did it would be more understandable. If there was a 5 minute limit for the fights or something like then I could understand why the fighters would want to finish the fight before they reached the limit.

Aside from that complain I thoroughly enjoyed the 2 matches you posted even if they were short. Also, that kick the guy got in the first fight looked pretty sick.

It’s also cool to see how the MMA business and UFC have changed since the time they started doing pay per views. Things seem so much different back then, than they do know. For one I noticed that the cage they used then was bigger. Maybe it wasn’t but it appeared as it was. Also, the fighters were allowed to wear whatever attire they wanted. Today, they have to wear basically the same type of attire. So, it’s pretty interesting to see how they have changed and grown throughout the years.

Anyways, Good thread TM, I look forward to reading the next review and I hope to be able to post something and contribute.

If only you'd made this thread a year ago when I watched the show. I can't remember too much about it now. If only Keith Hackney had been involved.

I think it's got some cool punches, some devistating kicks and some boring Gracie jui jit su.

TM, that was a great post. It's obvious that you put a good deal of time into it and I'm glad to see that you're back to your excellent posting in all areas of the forum. (I'll hit up the Hell in a Cell thread a bit later.)

UFC 1 wasn't anything special. There wasn't the atmosphere like there is today, nor were there classic matches. But, when watching UFC 1, you're watching the groundwork for the fastest growing sport in the world being laid. We learned that you have to be able to defend against submissions, not just be able to hurt your opponent, to effectively fight in the UFC. This really is a thing to see, though. I watched this, then I watched the event 10 days ago and I am in AWE of how far the sport has come. I give all the credit in the world to the pioneers in UFC, and to Dana White for realizing his dream.

I don’t know if back then when they started with pay per view they had limits for matches or not. If someone could tell me if they did it would be more understandable. If there was a 5 minute limit for the fights or something like then I could understand why the fighters would want to finish the fight before they reached the limit.

To my knowledge, which admittedly isn't that spectacular on this subject, there was no time limit. The rounds were five minutes long, but you could fight for 28 rounds. There wasn't such a thing as a judge's decision back then. As for why the fights were short, well.. I 'spose it's because one fighter either knocked the other out or made him submit in under five minutes. This isn't wrestling, where you want to put on a 25 minute clinic with your opponent for the fans. Oh no. If they could finish a fight with one punch, they all would. These fighters weren't very well trained as opposed to the ones today, so strikes were easier to land and submissions easier to lock in. The defense was very poor by most of the men, thus the matches ended early. That's why Gracie won. He knew how to defend himself properly.

Can't wait for the next installment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back