• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

UFC Headed to Fox; TNA/IW Now SpikeTV's Top Draw?

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
This really won't have much effect on TNA/IW; at least, not to the extent that a lot of people here in the professional wrestling bubble will believe it will.

The Conventional Wisdom around here says that with UFC leaving, SpikeTV would reinvest heavily into TNA/IW. Strategically, that's putting all your eggs in one basket. Furthermore, there's absolutely no way that TNA/IW could produce the sheer amount of programming that UFC did. Think about it- Unleashed, which runs a couple of times a day, The Ultimate Fighter, which is getting Real Worldian in terms of its endurance and ability to still bring in ratings, along with the occasional televised live event. TNA/IW can't provide enough material to fill the gaps in UFC's schedule on their own- at best, they could provide a second night of programming and an Impact Wrestling rerun.

But the fact that TNA/IW can't provide daily programming (no professional wrestling company could) is going to work against them when it comes to providing just a second show. Who's going to fill the hole left by UFC? Executives at SpikeTV have spent all day trying to figure this out. More reruns of 'Manswers' and 'Jail' are a very obvious step backwards; if they're looking to build their channel rather than simply maintain it, they're going to be looking for another company to set up a tentpole show and fill that gap. As far as what that would be, I have no clue. It could be anything from an original sitcom to an attempt to get Rugby Union over with the American population.

What this means is that in the short term, TNA/IW enjoys an enhanced negotiating position with SpikeTV. If they want small favors done that they couldn't get done before- Dixie Carter's husband looks up expectantly- now's the time to ask for them. In the long term, however, this isn't likely to have too much of an effect. The only way TNA/IW gets a long-term benefit is if SpikeTV decides to go all-in on promoting TNA/IW; and I don't see them taking that kind of risk on what is still a niche audience. They'll be looking for someone else to diversify their programming.

I don't think that this will have any general affect for TNA. I don't think Spike is going to be looking at TNA to sort of pick up whatever slack the UFC leaving might entail. Realistically speaking, I don't see how the brass at Spike coiuld honestly think otherwise because TNA just simply wouldn't be able to do it now or in the forseeable future. I guess they could possibly produce a second show but that's still not going to fill the gap and just might be throwing money away.

Generally speaking, UFC isn't exactly a ratings juggernaut. From the ratings report I recall reading not too long ago, UFC in primetime sometimes draws less viewers than TNA. UFC is a huge draw for Spike, however, in that male 18-49 demographic and that's what Spike has always coveted. Maybe this means they'll be looking for more diverse programming.

It also might depend upon whatever Spike's strategy going forward is. Are they simply going to try and maintain the status quo? If they are, then there are any number of other shows on their network they could use as reruns just to fill up air time. If they're looking to grow and expand, then they might be looking at other options for programming.

I don't think this will really hurt or help TNA at this point in time. If anything, it might just mean a few sleepless nights and lots of meetings for Spike executives to figure out what they plan to do going forward without the UFC.

guys.. wasn't there reports that were stating that Spike is no longer going to look to cater to that male 18-35 demographic?

I could have sworn I read something about how Spike's plan is to produce programming in the not so distant future that will appeal to both men and women and this was one of the deciding factors in letting UFC go..

can anyone confirm this?

guys.. wasn't there reports that were stating that Spike is no longer going to look to cater to that male 18-35 demographic?

I could have sworn I read something about how Spike's plan is to produce programming in the not so distant future that will appeal to both men and women and this was one of the deciding factors in letting UFC go..

can anyone confirm this?

It was more a matter of UFC leaving the network and so spike in response is rebranding in order to cater to women as well to help soften the blow. I think UFC left for the same reason Hulk complained about spike, not enough awareness/availability of the network which in turn was hurting programs on it.

It was more a matter of UFC leaving the network and so spike in response is rebranding in order to cater to women as well to help soften the blow. I think UFC left for the same reason Hulk complained about spike, not enough awareness/availability of the network which in turn was hurting programs on it.

Which is the reason why they are planning to do a rebrand of the network. Right now TNA is safe.. but long term still has a question mark.

I expect them to change their name and invest in more original programming to better compete with TNT, FX, USA, HBO, AMC, and other successful cable nets. Viacom has already transitioned MTV into more of a teen network (cable's version of The CW Network)... so they need to work on Spike TV.

Which is the reason why they are planning to do a rebrand of the network. Right now TNA is safe.. but long term still has a question mark.

I expect them to change their name and invest in more original programming to better compete with TNT, FX, USA, HBO, AMC, and other successful cable nets. Viacom has already transitioned MTV into more of a teen network (cable's version of The CW Network)... so they need to work on Spike TV.

seems like TNA may be ok for a while, their statement today mentioned their new portfolio including shows like auction hunter and bar rescue (which is awesome btw) and TNA doesn't seem to differ too much from those as far as fitting in, had they gone to all teeny bopper shows like MTV or focused solely on women then they'd be in more trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back