UFC 92: The Ultimate 2008

Y 2 Jake

Slightly Autistic
On paper, so far the card of the year. Only three fights announced so far, but all worth watching.

Forrest Griffin Vs. Rashad Evans
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Vs. Frank Mir
Wanderlei Silva Vs. Quinton Jackson​

So you've got the TUF finals Heavyweight match. The winners of TUF 1 & 2 facing off, and a third match in a series.

I'm more intrested in the Silva/Rampage match than the others. Silva killed him in the previus two fights, the 2nd has my favourite ever knockout. Rampage says that Silva can't beat him if he's not on steroids. But I think it'll just even the fight up a little.

Personally i thought UFC 90 was gonna be the card of the year it looked great on paper but sadly didn't turn out that way. Like most people im sure the most anticipated fight is Silva Vs Rampage. Rampage since the last time he fought wandy has improved leaps and bounds especially his stand up so i don't see wandy dominating him like he did previous times. Also while rampage has improved it seems wandy has not. I really hope wandy wins this one im a big Wanderlai fan but my mind tells me Rampage my heart tells me wandy. Hopefully he will finally start using his knees again.

I'm a big Nogueira fan but this match up isn't to exciting. Mir to me is the poor mans version of Nog takes a beating till he can lock in a sub. Difference is Nog does it alot better. So i say Nog via sub in this one. As for Forest Vs Evans not crazy about both but this should be a solid match. Forrest is a well rounded fighter so we know what he brings to the table but Evans use to be a one dimensional wrestler but now he has shown he has power behind his punches and that his stand up is coming along. I'm giving this one to Rashad.

Well, it's about time that they brought back the "Ultimate" sub-title and started affixing it to the New Year's show each year. I used to love the "Ultimate Ultimate" events they'd do back in the 90's. So far this card is looking great to me. I'm anxious to see what happens between Forrest and Rashad. Right now, (even with his eyes closed), Rashad has proven he has a right hand that'll make Forrest think about gutting it out inside. It'll be interesting to see what happens there. As far as the Interim Heavyweight Title match? I'm hoping that Nog punches Frank into Down Syndrome territory.

As for Rampage/Wandy? I still think that Wanderlei will dominate. Granted, Rampage has improved his standup plenty, but Wanderlei is training with the top camp in America right now and if the Jardine fight was any indicator, Silva's best days may still lie ahead of him. Plus, if there is any two guys who could work out a successful gameplan against Rampage, it'd be Couture and Tompkins. Silva has the fear issue helping him out, methinks. It's not everyday that a guy like Rampage has to fight a guy who previously kneed the shit out of his skull and left him flopping between the ropes like a dead fish (and that was the second ass-beating).

I hope that they fill out the rest of the card with more top matchups and big names and really make it worth the fucking money. It's upsetting to no end that the UFC nearly runs unopposed in terms of owning the majority of top talent, but they still haven't put together cards big enough to outdo some of the old Pride Shockwave events.

Light Heavyweight Championship bout: Forrest Griffin (champion) vs. Rashad Evans
I see Forrest winning this by 4th or 5th Round Submission. Rashad will gas by the forth and Forrest will take full advantage of it. Before that, I see Forrest completely winning the stand-up exchange, but Rashad does have a strong chin and I don’t think Forrest has the knockout power to put him down. But once the inevitable happens and Rashad gasses, Forrest will take it to the ground and beat him with either a sub or GNP.

Interim Heavyweight Championship bout: Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (champion) vs. Frank Mir
I desperately want to pick Frank Mir, but logic says he’s not winning this fight. Nog is just superior to him in every way I think, but at the same time, I don’t see Nog finishing him. Nog wins by Unanimous Decision.

Light Heavyweight bout: Quinton Jackson vs. Wanderlei Silva
This fight is going to be awesome, but it’s too hard to pick a winner. I’m neutral for this fight.

Middleweight bout: Yushin Okami vs. Dean Lister
Yushin Okami by Unanimous Decision. Lister is too good on the ground to get caught, and Okami hasn’t shown that he’s a great stand-up fighter to actually knock Lister out. But he will dominate the fight nonetheless.

Middleweight bout: C.B. Dollaway vs. Mike Massenzio
I think Dollaway will come to this fight 100% prepared and put on one of his best showings. I think he wins in the second with a sub.

C.B. Dollaway vs. Mike Massenzio - I think that C.B Dalloway has alot of potential and im looking forward to this fight. Even thought C.B didnt win his Ultimate Fighter season i think he'll be it's breakout star.

Yushin Okami vs. Dean Lister - This is purely a tune up fight for Yushin Okami. He'll walk right through Lister and earn a title match against Anderson Silva. If Anderson showboats against him it will be a mistake that will cost him the title.

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (champion) vs. Frank Mir - This is the face off between the 2 TUF coaches. I'm picking Nogueria to win basicly because i just cant stand Frank Mir. He acts like a arrogant prick. He shouldnt even be fighting for the title. On the other side , Nogueria is one of the greatest MMA fighters in history and deserves alot of respect. He should easily dismantly Mir.

Quinton Jackson vs. Wanderlei Silva - Silva is getting old and Rampage is in his prime. This should be a great fight but i see Quintion redeeming himself and winning by knockout.

Forrest Griffin (champion) vs. Rashad Evans - Rashad Evans is going to win the title. I see him beating Forrest in every aspect of the fighting game. I personaly believe that Forrest Griffin is the most overhyped and overrated fighter ever. Rashad should easily dismantle him.......Then maybe we'll get to see Forrest cry again.

Yushin Okami vs. Dean Lister - This is purely a tune up fight for Yushin Okami. He'll walk right through Lister and earn a title match against Anderson Silva. If Anderson showboats against him it will be a mistake that will cost him the title.

Quinton Jackson vs. Wanderlei Silva - Silva is getting old and Rampage is in his prime. This should be a great fight but i see Quintion redeeming himself and winning by knockout.

Forrest Griffin (champion) vs. Rashad Evans - Rashad Evans is going to win the title. I see him beating Forrest in every aspect of the fighting game. I personaly believe that Forrest Griffin is the most overhyped and overrated fighter ever. Rashad should easily dismantle him.......Then maybe we'll get to see Forrest cry again.

First, how can you say that Okami is easily gonna walk through Dean Lister? Lister is a BJJ Black belt, a sambo champ, a gracie jj tournament champ, abu dhabi champ, he's never been knocked out or subbed and Okami has shown he has problems with BJJ guys, so for you to say that Okami is gonna walk through the Boogeyman, think again it will be closer than you think.

Next, you do know that wandy is only two years older than rampage? Don't count the Axe Murderer out in this one

And Finally, how can you say Rashad Evans is better in every aspect of the fighting game over Forrest??? Let's see Rashad has more knockout power and better takedowns than Forrest, thats it. Forrest's cardio has boxing ability, he has more of a ground game than Rashad's lay and pray style. So let's see heere, a split decision with former LHW Champion tito ortiz, a submission victory in which he had better cardio and a better game plan than the current number 1 LHW fighter in the world Shogun Rua, and a 5-round victory over A top three LHW to win the title. Hmmmm very overrated indeed. Forrest also happens to train with the master-planner himself, randy couture and I'll take Randy Couture's game-planning any day over that of Greg jackson.

I'll take Randy Couture's game-planning any day over that of Greg jackson.
Co-sign on this one. If the Silva/Jardine fight was any indicator, Couture and Tompkins have the recipe to derail any of New Mexico's finest. I don't think this fight could be any different, but you never know. I will say this, though. They have found ways to capitalize on Forrest's size and cardio to win fights he should be losing. That is the sign of amazing coaching right there.

Nobody has mentioned Matt Hamill yet. He's a big player on the undercard, fighting originally as a light-heavyweight and now as a middleweight. He looked good against Rich Franklin at UFC 88, though in a losing effort after getting TKO'd via a kick to the liver. He's 4-2, with his only other loss a highly controversial split decision loss to Michael Bisping at Lt Heavyweight.

Hamill should beat Reese Andy pretty solidly at UFC 92, and I am really looking forward to seeing him do so. The kid's a freaking stud.

I'll agree with you on this IC25, Matt Hamill is a monster of a wrestler who is improving each and everytime I see him fight, if it adds anything to him, he was hurting Rich with some powerfull punches (glancing or not).... made him look like a raccoon.

Frank Mir vs Antonio Rodrigo Nogueria (c) - This is going to be a first class roll around, though Nog has proven striking skills he will find it hard pressed to submit Mir, Mir isn't a stepping stone for anyone so this could actually be an agressive stand up fight. Nog TKO in 4th

Rashad Evans vs Forrest Griffin (c) - A good back and forth match up here, for Rashad to win this he will have to be explsove from the start and throw them hands and counter punch .....otherwise he will gas (he is known for gassing) by late 3rd early 4th round he will start to be picked apart by the current champion, they will stale mate each other with the clinch game.....with maybe the slightest advantage to Griffin here....maybe. Forrest by Arm bar 4th

Wanderlei Silva vs Quinton Jackson - This is the dead rubber match up, they have shown to have had heated encounters, with the wrestling aspect in Quinton's advantage by a mile and the standing advantage to the Axe Murderer..... Quinton does have a case with their last matc with Wanderlei getting a pass after Quniton was controlling him on the ground with some nce and vicious ground and pounding, but wit Pride rules if you don't get to side mount or full mount..... the takedown is voided. the result will still be the same..... Wanderlei KO in the 2nd (Knee)

Yushin Okami vs. Dean Lister - Dean will talk right through this fight, Okami awlays has problems with BJ experts. Lister Triangle Choke in the 2nd

C.B. Dollaway vs. Mike Massenzio -C.B had every right to have been considered the favourite in TUF 7 Series, considering he's wrestling resume and acheivements.... not to mention he's pretty all-rounded with submissions to match. C.B by Unanimous Decision.

I'll agree with you on this IC25, Matt Hamill is a monster of a wrestler who is improving each and everytime I see him fight, if it adds anything to him, he was hurting Rich with some powerfull punches (glancing or not).... made him look like a raccoon.

There was something seriously wrong with Hamill in that fight against Franklin. He wasn't himself. I'm not trying to take anything away from Franklin because he is indeed a tremendous fighter, but Hamill put on a shit performance that night. He beat himself, basically. Hopefully, come UFC 92, when get to see the Matt Hamill we all fell in love with on The Ultimate Fighter Season 3 when he faces Reese Andy.

Anyway, bumping this to remind people that this event is only a week away. Those of you still living at home, ask for it for Christmas, because this is one of the most stacked cards in UFC history.

7818-ufc92-poster.jpg

The full UFC 92 fight card:
-Forrest Griffin vs. Rashad Evans
-Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Frank Mir
-Wanderlei Silva vs. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson
-Mike Massenzio vs. CB Dollaway
-Mostapha Al Turk vs. Cheick Kongo
-Dean Lister vs. Yushin Okami
-Mike Wessel vs. Antoni Hardonk
-Reese Andy vs. Matt Hamill
-Brad Blackburn vs. Ryo Chonan
-Pat Barry vs. Dan Evensen

My predictions for the main fights remain the same in my first post in this thread. But I would also like to pick Ryo Chonan and Antoni Hardonk in their fights, Chonan especially. Ryo Chonan is one of the very few men on this Earth to have a win over Anderson Silva, and he got that win with one of the most beautiful submissions you'll ever see in an MMA fight when he got Silva with a Flying Scissor Heel Hook. He won his last fight in the UFC and I’m wishing for this man to continue doing well.

-Forrest Griffin vs. Rashad Evans
I'm going with Forrest on this one. I've doubted the fucker like five times and I always end up eating my words. If he wasn't so likable...well, I'd hate the son of a bitch. I think his reach and endurance combined with a Tompkins/Couture gameplan will rule in his favor. Sorry, Rashad.
-Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Frank Mir
If this fight lasts past two minutes Nog will eat Mir's lazy ass for breakfast. Only recently did Mir import Wanderlei's conditioning coach and actually start to take one of the (if not THE) most important aspect of the fight game seriously. Too little, too late against a guy who gives any matchmaker shitfits 36 ways to Sunday. Nogueira by gas-tank, better standup, and solid ground work.
-Wanderlei Silva vs. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson
See dailymotion entries for their first two fights and then guess who I'm gonna fucking choose? Granted, Rampage has improved...but with Tompkins and Couture in Wandy's corner, Rampage is in deep shit. Ten years and Rampage still can't check a fucking leg kick. If Wanderlei shows up with his gas tank in tow, then I think Quinton will need to be monitored for several days after the fight to make sure he doesn't go on anymore "Rampages."

Wow... with the exception of Dollaway/Kongo winning and a couple of the prelim fights, my predictions for tonight could not have been more wrong.

Frank Mir has been one of my favorite fighters for a while now, but I am still in complete shock over him finishing Nogueira. He not only became the first fighter to ever finish Nog, but he did what Fedor couldn’t do twice, and what Josh Barnett couldn’t do. You’ve got to give all the credit in the world to Frank Mir, and Mir vs. Lesnar II is going to sell even better than their first fight. However, I think Mir vs. Lesnar II will end differently than their first fight, because Lesnar is a completely different fighter now. Speaking of, Lesnar was a total class act tonight.

Jackson's knockout was UNBELIEVABLE. People are bitching about the extra shots, but it's a fucking grudge. Silva most likely would've done the same thing. Anyway, great performance by Jackson and with that victory, in my opinion, he deserves to be next in line for a Light Heavyweight Title shot.

As far as the new Light Heavyweight Champion goes... my God, I just cannot fucking believe it. Rashad Evans is not that good. I mean, fuck man... I'm just waiting for the dude to lose. In my opinion, he lost the Tito fight, and one could make an argument that Bisping beat him too, but I'm not a judge so those losses obviously don't count officially, just to me. But he's one day going to get in there with someone who won't leave it in the judges hands, and I think that someone is Rampage fucking Jackson. If he some how gets past Rampage, then hopefully that'll motivate Tito enough to return to the UFC and work his way up to getting a rematch against Rashad. But I don’t ever see Evans beating Rampage. Lyoto Machida? Maybe, but that could quite possibly end up being the most boring fight in UFC history if those two were to meet.

And lastly, much props to Dollaway and Hamill. I'm happy for those guys, especially Hamill. Hopefully he'll get pushed back up to a main card fight against some better competition now. Also, Cheick Kongo looked great tonight as well. If he can get in there and beat a real contender in his next fight (like Couture or Gonzaga), then I think he should get the winner of Mir/Lesnar II.

Hands down greatest UFC PPV i have seen to date.

Evans vs Griffin surprised me a bit. While i did predict Evans would win i did not guess it would be by ground and pound. Evans looked amazing tonight and hopefully he will keep proving to people that hes on the top of the LHW food chain.

Jacksons knockout was exactly what i predicted. Silva's boxing is no where near Rampages thanks to Juanito Ibarra. I was hoping Silva would start using his knees again but instead he decided to stand and box with Rampage and paid for it. I think Jackson definitely deserves a rematch for the title, ether that or fight Griffin for number 1 contender.

Frank fuckin Mir really surprised the hell out of me tonight. While i knew he was taking this fight very seriously and was training very hard for it based on all the interviews i saw on him. I never would have guessed he would out strike Nogueira. Even more surprising is the fact that he holds a TKO victory over Nogueira now, something not even Fedor was able to do. I am really happy for Mir. He has grown on me alot during his time on the Ultimate Fighter. Can't wait for Mir vs Lesnar II.

It was great to see Hammil get a win tonight. He could use a bit of work on his stand up. but nonetheless i was happy for him. Yushin Okami gets yet another win in the UFC and still probably wont be given number 1 contender. Poor Yushin always getting screwed. And last but not least Kongo, great performance tonight. I think one more win over a credible opponent will definitely put Kongo in the title picture.

Everyone of my main picks won so I am happy for that.

Kongo destroyed the newcomer Turk in brutal fashion. Kongo is awesome, but he could maybe bulk his legs up a little, it may help him out in the long run.

Rampage KTFO Wanderlei. I was VERRRYY happy. I've missed Rampage. Easily my favorite light heavyweight.

Frank Mir had the fucking upset of the night! Everyone was counting him out. I was rooting for him and I thought if he could win it would be by a crafty, unorthodox submission but instead he outboxed Nog...wow. Frank's stand up has improved by miles.

Rashad vs Forrest was fight of the night for at least what I saw. It didn't go the distance but it was a competitive 3 rounds. I knew Rashad's powerful hands would eventually win him the fight. He's damn talented. Honestly I could see him beating Rampage if they fought.

As big of a Forrest Griffin fan as I am, I was most upset by the CB Dolloway / Mike Massenzio fight. I wrestled briefly with Mike in New Jersey in the late 90's - he's a former state champ and he was a BEAST. The bar I was at was rooting for him heavy, and when the fight got stopped, we were all pretty pissed.

I'd not be shocked if Mir vs Lesnar gets saved to UFC 100. And what a card that would be, eh? Maybe throw in Rampage vs Rashad for the LHC...

Man. Talk about eating some serious crow on my picks. I was actually pretty happy on the whole as the fight card was really filled with action and didn't fail to impress in that department. I'm happy that Rampage won...but bummed that Wanderlei lost so brutally. He's had so many KO's in recent years that it might be time to hang it up if he doesn't want to end up like Muhammad Ali. That was a brutal left hook, by the way. I'd like to see a rematch between Forrest and Rampage or maybe...just MAYBE...someone in the UFC will wake the fuck up and give Lyoto Machida a shot if he beats Thiago Silva.

The LHW title fight was great. Rashad's hands are ultra-quick and precise these days. This is definitely not the same fighter who ground out a draw against a lackluster Tito a couple of years back. He's morphed into a dynamic sprawl-and-brawler who has some of the fastest hands in that division (right next to Rampage). Forrest got to greedy working inside and chasing Rashad when he should've just worked the leg kicks and then made a move around round four or five.

The heavyweight title match was an embarrassment. Nogueira looked like he did while coaching TUF (lugging a spare tire around). He also moved like molasses and had ZERO head movement. This was definitely not the same fighter who beat Sergei or Barnett years back. The road mileage on his frame is become evidently apparent and his bad eye is a glaring deficiency that Ken Hana and Mir were able to intelligently identify and capitalize on.

Mir's striking wasn't anything to write home about. He was just picking 1-2-3 patterns and doing the same type of shit over and over, without much speed at all. Nogueira kept moving directly backward and eating shit off of nearly every exchange. Nogueira needs to find some way to adapt or just to hang 'em up and focus on his protege, Dos Santos. It truly is the end of an era, I suppose. First time he was stopped in nearly forty fucking fights...and it was by Frank Mir.

Quinton "Rampage" Jackon vs Wanderlei Silva : Quinton proved he's the best light heavyweight in the world. He had a brutal knockout over Wandy and looked exellent. It shouldnt be long before he's champion again. But first i'd like to see a face off with Lyota Machida.

I was a bit disappointed in the Nogueria vs Mir fight. I've become a big Nog fan during the TUF season. he just seems like an awesome man out of the ring and i love his submisson skills. But it seems like his time is up. Mir knocking him out kinda solidifies that Nog's past his prime. It sucks because i was really looking foward to a potential Lesnar vs Nogueria match up. But i think in the long run i'll be happy seeing Lesnar knock Mir the fuck out.

Rashad Evans winning the light heavyweight title was not a big suprise to me. Forrest Griffin is the most overrated fighter in history and shouldnt have beaten Quinton Jackson in the first place. I knew Rashad would end up winning by KO or TKO. I'm hoping that Rashad has a good run as champ. He's a pretty damn good fighter and has alot of charisma. That's what the UFC needs right now. I'm looking foward to potential match ups with Quinton Jackson , Lyota Machida or even Wanderlai Silva (even thou Silva lost his last fight it'd still be a good fight)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back